1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Year Round Lawn Treatment

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by AdamW, Jun 6, 2016.

1. AdamW

AdamW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good Morning All,

This is my first post in the forum so I hope I have put it in the right place.

I'm after some advice on year round planning for lawn treatment. Up until now, I have had a well known (in my area anyway) garden maintenance company treat my lawn approximately every 2 months throughout the year. The results have been good.

However I am looking to take it into my own hands, but i'm not sure what treatments to use at which times of the year. Their website outline the treatment, but its only generic description, not the actual fertiliser etc that is used (which is understandable). I have done a fair amount of Googling and unless I am searching the wrong terms, I also cannot really find anything.

Theres the obvious products on sale in the garden centers. I'm sure some of the products the maintenance company use are similar, albeit less glamorous. If possible i'd like to purchase in larger quantities and possibly the individual fertisiler/ingredient and mix together, as this will likely make it cheaper in the long term?

So, is anyone able to advise on a decent annual lawn treatment plan? Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. Adele Morgan

Adele Morgan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Adam,

I don't think you are going to be able to find out exactly what lawn treatment the gardening company is using to treat your lawn unless someone on this forum can help you. My advice would be try something like a 4 in 1 lawn care product which kills moss and weeds and is formulated to revitalize your lawn making it stronger and thicker.

3. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    A lot of the Herbicides used by lawn companies come under the regs and so home owners can't use them.
    There are dozens of fertilisers and domestic products available from granular to liquid, organic, straight to slow release, seperate herbicides to weed and feeds.

4. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Hi welcome to the forum Adam, I only have a small lawn and manually weed I feed this every two weeks my lawn is just getting in good shape after three feeds I don't touch it in winter.
    Capture.PNG IMG_1276.JPG

5. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I use Ferrous Sulphate as a feed and moss killer in March. Then I use Vitax feed and weed in April , really works well and clears all the weeds . I use a Wilko seaweed liquid lawn fertilizer mid summer and autumn .
    Green-up-feed-weed-liquid-624x1112.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,854
      I use a 20-10-10 fertilizer in spring and 10-0-27 fertilizer in Autumn

• Like Like x 1
      • AdamW

AdamW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Hi, thanks for the replies! Appreciate the help.

HarryS, I assume you are seeing good results with this treatment?

Jiffy, can you explain what you mean by the 20/10/10 and 10/0/27 fertiliser? I assume the numbers relate to ratio of active ingredient?

Off the shelf products are quite expensive and I have quite a large lawn, so maybe I wont save any money compared to the treatment company doing it. Hmmm

• Like Like x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,854
          Yes it's the N P k ratio and Agri fertiliser

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
          • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            The NPK Shows the percentage at a given rate, this can be adjusted on some fertilisers depending on rate output. Weed and feeds tend to be at the given rate where a basic feed if the granular size is able to can be adjusted down through a simple calculation, same with liquid feeds.
            As they have bulk buying power their costs are lower, I can't compete with them but they tend to stick to set products where I can cater for an individual's need.
            You may find it cheaper to check your local landscape trade place and see what they have to offer but the markets full of various granular to liquid feeds from various manufactures.

• Like Like x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Seems to work OK Adam . Its not a showpiece lawn , Molly makes sure of that ,but it looks ok with zero weeds. If you have a large lawn it may be better to just go for "green" as Shiney can get a bit pricey feeding it several times a year.

• Like Like x 1