1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow ball shaped bits in potting compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Johnny, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, probably a stupid question but what are the yellow ball shaped bits in my potting compost? The compost is a non peat based one and looks mainly like coconut husks. I buy it made up by my local garden center but I'm just worried in case these are insect eggs or weeds etc.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    My guess is they are slow release fertilister balls.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Very likely, Dave - they've caused many worried gardeners problems in the past, and will no doubt continue to do so!

4. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. When you see something that sticks out like a sore thumb in your compost you get a bit worried about what you are bringing into your garden. I imagine as the non peat composts are not as good yet as the peat based ones they probably do add fertiliser balls to boost the nutritional value.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    These slow release capsules also come in a rather unpleasant green too.
    Almost all insect eggs are either clear or too small to see with the naked eye.
    Peat has no nutritional value. It is used because it holds on to moisture and thus dissolved plant food. Non-peat based composts are not always as good at holding on to water, so they need more watering and thus more food, hence the capsules.

6. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Palustris.

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,477
    Non peat-based composts such as coir are not as good as peat at retaining nutrients and leach out so extra fertiliser is sometimes needed.
    I have been told many times by the public about our compost having vine weevil eggs only to be corrected that it is simply a harmless slow release fertiliser. :rolleyes:

8. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked one of the yellow balls up and burst in my hand with no pressure at all. Seemed almost dry and I imagine eggs to be much firmer and not dry inside. These are either some sort of seeds but more probably fertiliser pellets. Looked at a picture of the weevil eggs and they were much more vividly coloured, the ones in my soil and plain egg yolk yellow. Thanks for the reference though as I can imagine how people may jump to that conclusion after seeing a picture like this. [​IMG]

9. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Trouble is they do not give any indication of the scale of the eggs shown. How is one supposed to be able to recognise them when you have no idea of the real size of them?

10. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Went to one of my garden centres today to buy a Cornus kousa and it had the yellow pellets in and they are indeed fertiliser pellets. Thank heavens. [​IMG]

11. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Now this topic has answered my question! You learn something new every day....!