1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow-brown leaves on rhododendron

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Stuart_F, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Stuart_F

Stuart_F Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    A few days ago my wife and I re-potted a rhododendron from the plastic pot it came in into a larger outdoor pot using Gro-sure ericaceous compost with some Miracle gro all purpose continuous release plant food mixed in. We finished it with some white decorative stones around the base of the plant to try and prevent weeds. The pot was then put out on the patio where it receives dappled sunlight for most of the day.

A few days after we did this the leaves at the top of the plant went from being solid green to having a yellow-brown tinge. We are worried we've done something wrong but we don't know what. We googled and came up with loads of possible problems, have we put the root-bulb too deep, perhaps it doesn't like having the stones around the base, it's getting burned by the sun, it's got a disease or any number of other possible causes.

Do I need to worry about the changes to the leaves?
    What should I do about it?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,630
    It does look like the top leaves have scorched.
    Possibly sunlight that it has not been used to.

I'd be a bit wary of those chippings they look like they could possibly be limey and rhododendron don't like lime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Stuart_F

Stuart_F Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Pete,

Thank you for the advice. You are right that it isn't used to sunlight as we had been keeping it indoors before.

I'll also remove the stones for safety.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,630
        OK, so best to acclimatise it gradually, its also not used to outdoor conditions either, so best to take it slowly.