1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow leaved Jasmine (Jasminum Officinale 'Fiona Sunrise')

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by *dim*, Jun 29, 2011.

1. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Hi ...

I am busy planting a new bed for a friend ...

there is a 6 foot wooden fence behind the bed .... the bed is south facing, however is in partial shade for most of the day as the house is a triple storey and shields the direct sunshine .... there is good light though ....

In the middle of the bed, I have planted a japanese maple (bloodgood) .... this will be the focal point of this bed

in one corner (with the most sun), I have planted an elaeagnus ebbingei (Evergreen Oleaster ) .... the main reason I opted for this shrub is that it has very fragrant flowers for a few weeks of the year .... will need to be kept in check / pruned so as not to become too wide

in the other corner, I have planted a philadelphus coronarius aurea (mock orange) .... the one with limegreen leaves that turn yellow .... main reason I opted for this is the fragrance .... this too will need to be pruned / kept in check

I will be planting 2 more small trees or shrubs (the same type) which will be on either side of the Japanese maple ... I am still undecided yet as to what to plant, but will make a decison before the weekend

the other plants I have ordered for this bed are 10 large Hostas,

9 large evergreen ferns: dryopteris affinis cristata angustata... also known as male fern, and has yellowish/golden leaves which turn bright green, and grow up to 1 meter high and 1 meter wide

and 12 hakonechloa macra aureola which will be planted on the border edge (I like these, and they won the perenial plant of the year in 2009, and have yellow/golden leaves ... these will be planted close to each other, and will fill out and form a continuos border when they mature

now, I am looking at crawlers for the back fence .... I will most prob plant 2 jasmines that are evergreen (Trachelospermum Jasminoides ) ... I have planted these before, so am familiar with them

as the focal point of the bed is the Japanese maple with red leaves, I am looking at planting an additional 2 yellow leaved jasmine creepers (Jasminum Officinale 'Fiona Sunrise') together with the 2 evergreen jasmines .... these will have yellow leaves for part of the year which will compliment nicely with the maple

has anyone had any experience of these yellow leaved jasmine, and is it good practise to plant them together with the evergreen ones? ... I have only found out about them today ....

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881

Fiona Sunrise is a beautiful form of Jasmine, Another decent Jasmine is Beesianum. May I point out, Trachelospermum is NOT a Jasmine.:dbgrtmb:

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    I have grown one on it's own up the corner of a pagoda, they are lovely plants and completely hardy; although they will loose most of their leaves and die back a little on the tips of late season growth if it's a cold winter, it's never a problem, a quick tidy up in the spring just as they start growing again and they're fine.

I found it stayed yellow for most of the year, just through out the summer it was a little duller and tinged lime green instead of the vibrant yellow in the spring.

They are quite vigorous once established and also sucker quite freely (well mine did?), so they thicken quite well too :thumb:

4. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Dim, another plant you might consider, though it`s not a climber, is Fabiana.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      thanks for the info guys! ... much appreciated!

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,055

Never heard of Fabiana Dai, so I googled it and … Yikes! =:}

Lots of images of young ladies called Fabiana who would look very nice in my border, but they would need winter protection i.e. some clothes! :D

Here’s a safe link to the plant Fabiana imbricata f. violacea:
      RHS Plant Selector Fabiana imbricata f. violacea AGM / RHS Gardening

Is that the one you meant? Tis lovely and I’ll keep an eye out for it in the GCs :dbgrtmb:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      have still not ordered the jasmines yet, but most probably buy 2 - fiona sunrise'....

have also decided on the 2 additional trees and have ordered 2 - Chamaerops humilis – Mediterranean Fan Palms .... have planted these before in the area and they do well here in cambridge .... they dont grow too tall (6 foot) and will look good in the bed ... I paid £30 each, and they are nearly a meter tall .... slow growing though, but even looks good when they are small

• daitheplant

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Sorry to cause you that excitement John, do you need to sit down and take a tablet?:D:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,055
        Dai, I reckon bromine tablets are what I need :)

• daitheplant

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881
        Can you make do with Borax, John?:loll::loll::loll:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        job nearly done for the main bed .... just have a few small things to do (a good mulch of farmyard manure, add wires on the wooden fence for the jasmine crawlers, and add an automatic sprinkler system ....

plants ars still 'babies' and will mature to a decent size ... the bed will be 'full' ... the ferns grow nearly 1m high and some of the hostas grow 1,2m high with a spread of 1m .... the front yellow grass edging (Hakonechloa macra Aureola will join together as they grow to tufts of 40cm wide x 35cm high ... the palms grow to 6 feet high, smoke bush will spread and grow tall, aswell as the mock orange... etc

the ferns are evergreen, so the bed will have some interest during winter with the evergreen palms ... I am still contemplating adding 2 evergreen star jasmines against the back fence, but not sure if they will thrive there as the are is not in full sunlight

owner has not seen the bed yet, as he is abroad on holiday... hope that he is satisfied (he had a low budget, and I had to buy most plants off ebay to save costs)

herewith some pics:

Panama539.jpg

Panama540.jpg

Panama541.jpg

Panama542.jpg

Panama543.jpg

• daitheplant

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881