1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellowing azalea woes

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Caroline33, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Caroline33

Caroline33 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I'm very grateful for your expertise on the following. The leaves on this potted azalea turned yellow 2 or 3 months ago. It's a 4 year old plant, south facing in plenty of light, in a pot with drainage holes. We've tried an application of Growmore wondering if it was due to lack of nitrogen. But it hasn't helped. We plan to do another application once flowing is over. We're watering about 3 times per week - by routine to be honest, rather than noticing when the soil is dry. We've also tried anti vine weevil treatment but no change. We live in Scotland. We have plenty other azaleas which thrive in the local acidic soil. It was of course a harsh winter. Many thanks for your help, Caroline

Attached Files:

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi

its iron deficiency caused by the pH of the soil being too alkaline can bring on chlorosis, use Vitax Seaweed plus Sequestered is ideal to use and a very quick fix ....as its in a pot if possible could you take out and see if it has any vine weevil as its too early in the year to treat (not warm enough) to use the nematodes

Spruce

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Caroline33

Ratings:
      +3
      Spruce, many thanks for your swift reply!! I will give the Vitax a whirl.

• Like Like x 1
      • Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,320
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,705
        I tend to use one watering of sequestered iron, at the beginning of the season. Then just the same feed as every thing else for the rest of the year, but both methods should work.
        16236647519037135381639602280424.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Caroline33

Ratings:
          +3
          Many thanks Spruce. Sounds like the Growmore isn't really up to it then!?

• Caroline33

Ratings:
          +3
        • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
          +684
          Evergreen Azaleas are not the hardiest in comparison the deciduous ones and this spring had very severe frosts which could well have caused the damage to the leaves. I too live in Scotland and some of my evergreen Azaleas are not looking too clever either! Certainly I would not feed any more Growmore. It is far too alkali for Azaleas. To be honest it looks as tho the plant would benefit greatly from being planted out in your garden if possible as the soil in the pot will be pretty “ dead” by now. If you wish to keep the plant in a pot I would take it out of the pot, wash off a good proportion of the retained soil and throw the rest of the soil in the pot away/ put it on your flower beds, then replant using fresh ericaceous compost.
          I grow dozens and dozens of Azaleas and Rhododendrons and never feed any of them. They flower incredibly well despite this! These are a few examples. 745223CF-8DC2-48B0-8E32-484559519205.jpeg F4FC7051-DFA2-4235-8D99-A343F3DFBD53.jpeg E1F2571E-BE4D-427F-9EFC-C26C0D66DCD5.jpeg
          None of these have ever been fed. If you get the soil preparation right there is no need to feed despite what the plant food companies tell you!

• Like Like x 1
          • Caroline33

Ratings:
            +3
            Gosh those are stunning hailbopp!! Thanks so much for your advice. Yes the spring frosts caused havoc with a few of our plants this year - most recovering nicely already thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,320
              Growmore is a good general fertiliser around the garden and veg patch but you need something more specific as you have found out for your azalea ...