1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another tomato question!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Jack by the hedge, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had, from the supermarket, a punnet of baby plum tomatoes, which were, unusually for supermarket tomatoes , quite tasty.
    I've saved the seed from these tomatoes and was wondering if, next year, I would be able to grow them and produce miniatures. Perhaps they don't come true from seed; I've not seen the variety in any catalogue I've looked at.
    Does anybody know anything about "Baby plums"?

2. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Jack, Nickey's nursery lists mini plum tomatoes called Chiquita, dunno if that is anything like the ones you bought. I would try the seed you have saved anyway, I don't see why they shoudn't come true, good luck

3. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Nothing ventured nothing gained,Jbth. You might end up with something better than you started with.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I grew a few santini toms from seed taken from toms bought in M & S.

They came out pretty good.

Wish I had grown more.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I've saved the seed from toms I've grown and got good crops in following years quite a few times. It doesn't work if the variety is an F1 Hybrid, but most toms aren't F1 so theres a good chance you might be lucky.

6. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I bought some sweet william seed from Nicky's nursery last year and was pleased with the results so I shall have a look at the Chiquita seeds being sold.