1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yippee!! My Census Form Is Here.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Mar 7, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Just got the census form :heehee:.

Unfortunately there are not many questions that I can misunderstand :cry3:.

Although is says that it should be completed on or after the 27th I have already done so as I don't think my circumstances will change. I will still have the same name, will have been born on the same date, still retired, still have done the same job etc. I'll send it off on the 27th. :thumb:

It took me all of 12 minutes to complete and I economised on the use of ink by keeping my lettering to approx 2mm - the same as their printing.

As they didn't say that I had to leave a gap between words I was also able to save energy :dbgrtmb:

My job title was 'Big Boss' and the job I did was 'Everything'. :loll: Unfortunately they didn't ask what my staff did so I couldn't put 'Not a lot'.

Everything that I put on the form was correct to the best of my ability. :rofl:

Enjoy your form filling :D

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,883
    Good evening Shiney yes completed mine as well,I sent mine off as soon as I had filled it in,They sent it to me before the 27th so they can have it back before the 27th:heehee::)

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,497
    Good evening woo,

Well done. :dbgrtmb: They'll probably have one of their census assistants bring it back to you on, or after, the 27th. :heehee:

4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,883
    Hi Shiney That,s OK then as long as they let me know if its A.M or P.M :rofl: Perhaps I should have filled it in on line,then they would have received it even earlier. :heehee::)

5. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,497
    One year I had the census assistant come back three times. She asked me whether I was having trouble understanding the form and my answer was "No, but you get paid every time you turn up so I thought I would help you earn more money." :heehee:

6. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,684
    O, the blessed Census. When we changed countries some years ago we managed to become very Gogolian Dead Souls: the previous country we lived in happened to be some months ahead in delivering the all EU- census so we filled it in in both countries.

Last year we were hand picked to be very special so enjoyed the quarterly visits and calls from pleasant, albeit blushing workers asking the details of our sexual orientation and trying to sort out our foreign education.

My guess is that this year they will shred and burn our form before it reaches the post office...

Sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful, this is a serious and meaningful way to find out what actually is the realistic situation in the country, as well as help to identify trends that might need serious attention. I'm a numbers person and appreciate a hefty load of good data. I just find it very hard not to give witty answers for questions that practically are begging for it... And, to be honest, "Viking" is a valid ethnical group, isn't it?

7. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Going to do mine online , saves on ink , and walking to the post box .

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not had mine yet. Might have some problems explaining I live in 2 places at once:DOH:

This week, I will be mostly living in Barnstaple & have cracked the wifi logon, that was close, thought I was going to be without Gardeners Corner for a week.

9. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Does the form have a box marked 'sex'? If so, I shall follow the example of the late Hermione Gingold and write 'occasionally'.

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,497
    I haven't stated what my other responses to the census are :heehee: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have much faith in the efficacy of the census. The information they are asking for is available from many different sources and they would not have to pay out the many millions that this is costing.

Some of it seems irrelevant and I think that a lot of it will not give them useable information because of the large number of people that will not fill in the forms correctly - either intentionally or unwittingly.

I fail to see the relevance of what exams I passed (assuming I can remember back that far) or what my job was when I was working. I'm not working now, have no intention of working in the future, I'm not sure of my ethnicity ( mother came to this country in 1913, father's family came in the 17th C) and, at times, I'm not sure who I am! :heehee:
    If I'm out of the country for more than 30 days I don't think it is any business of the government where I am for that period. I go, I come back. I don't think I want to tell them that I spent a month on Sirius. :loll: :loll:

11. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Mine hasn't arrived yet either. My sister rang me today saying she'd filled her's out, but was worried that she couldn't answer one question which asked if she'd worked during a certain period. When I asked her if she had she told me she'd worked for 2 weeks for some firm but couldn't remember exactly when. I told her not to bother as it wasn't worth the effort needed to find out but she was bothered that if she didn't answer exactly there'd be a knock on the door and she'd be carted off to jail - my sister's like that!!
    I tried to tell her the government wouldn't fall over if she disregarded the two weeks work and ticked the No box, but I've a sneaking feeling when I put the phone that she'd would be looking desperately into her boxes of records from way back when!!

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    :loll: I shall write "Yes please"

That's true shiney, all us 'normal' people are already on all sorts of databases, they know more about us than we do ourselves. According to some reports there might be up to 1/2 million people that won't fill the census form in because they want to remain under the radar.

It is fascinating looking back on old censuses to see where great-great-grandad lived and what he did. So I'll fill mine in as best I can just for posterity.

13. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I know we're all on all sorts of databases, but the census in this day and age is just a way to check that all the other data is somewhere near accurate.

The census data, along with the electoral roll, post office address file, credit records, loyalty card records, bank transaction data etc etc will be collated, aggregated, profiled, and then sold to list broking firms such as CACI and Experian. Then they in turn will sell the data to marketing firms who will then use it to profile neighbourhoods and give us all an ACORN or MOSAIC code, plot us on a map, and use it to work out whether to open a new shop, close one down, change the stock etc, or send us junk mail advertising exactly the stuff that they thing 'people like us' will want.

This might make me sound paranoid, but its true. I used to work for a firm that was involved in all of the above. There's big money in data.

14. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,497
    That's why I fill in loads of censuses and surveys - I receive a plethora of retail censuses and quite a number of others.

If you read them alongside each other then I am about 100 different people. :loll: :loll:. It depends on what the weather is like and what mood I'm in. I'm also a non-smoking smoker, sometimes male and sometimes female, a one legged, blind extremely vertically challenged genius from the planet Zog and a vegan buddhist. :heehee:

15. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    My census form has arrived. So far the cat has puked on it and I trod on it. Thankfully after Mrs Chopper had cleaned up the cat puke.

The last census, myself and a hell of a lot of other guys I know, listed BIKER as a religion. I object to filling in this form as it is just another Big Brother exercise, that is costing millions.

Where the form says "Sex?" I shall write, "Only when I get paid for it".

Occupation? Semi retired snake charming pimp.

All other questions will be answered: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

Not in a good mood today.

Chopper