You can never have too many secateurs or trowels

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Tiarella, May 6, 2007.

1. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Well I've currently got 5 pairs of secateurs, plus long-handled loppers (invaluable) and a ratchetty heavy-duty pair of secateurs for those stubborn branches. They tend to go blunt and I'm not good at sharpening them. You can spend all sorts of money on them, so I get cheapy ones that get chucked out when they go too blunt.

Trowels - I'm forever losing them! So I have about three at the moment. But I could use more. One in the shed, one in the greenhouse, one indoors, one handily situated for each flower bed.

How about you?

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    It's hand forks with me - I often leave them behind! Secateurs go in my back right trouser pocket, so I fairly often have to get new work trousers, when they've caused a massive hole, and have done the same to the fall-back pocket! (And yes, I do know it's no the safest place, but I only have them there when I'm working on weeding a border, and have to hoick them out from time to time - I wouldn't do it if there was any chance of me falling over backwards and having them damage kidneys :eek: )

I keep a pair of secateurs in the bathroom too. I'm sure it's obvious why [​IMG] :D

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,311
    For cutting your toenails, of course [​IMG] :D :D :D

4. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,925
    [​IMG] The bane of my life WAS green secateurs....always loosing them.......now I always try to buy bright colours,my favourites at the moment are white.

Still loose them but not so often :D

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm waiting until the next batch of compost is ready, as there's definately a trowel in there and, I suspect, some secateurs! Suppose they'll be rusty now [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

6. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    :D :D :D

So true all!

I have two trowels that I know of - though there are several more somewhere, never to be found again! Secateurs, I have three pairs, again that I could lay my hands on - one pair I have had for 8 years - they were found in the garden when we moved in!

7. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a trellis with a hydrangea pet climbing over it, alog with a couple of hybrid clem's, but hanging on the trellis at varying heights are secateurs that have broken, failed or just aren't up for the job. So you could say i have loads hanging about.

8. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I fished a pair of shears out of a compost heap (didn't even realise I'd lost them there - thought it was on another job!) but my good stainless scissors have yet to appear. My problem is I leave tools in the wheelbarrow and then empty it in the compost bins.

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    If I don't have 3 or 4 pairs of secateurs, trowels, and handforks I spend more time looking for them than gardening . I buy cheap ones too as they get stranded in the garden so often- but I've yet to find a trowel or handfork that I can't break.

10. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi liz, try the wolf range. They're strong, unbendable and long lasting. I have had them for a couple of years, that i use for business and domestic gardening and having bright red interchangeable handles (available in varying lengths), and easily spottable in borders. expensive outlay, but well worth it in the long run.

11. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I'll put them on my Christmas list!
    Ta [​IMG]

12. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Sounds good - I'll look out for them at garden shows (you can often get a good deal there)
    Red handles is good too - more easily spottable.

13. use to be gardener

use to be gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this is all so ture but it is great in the atumn when your pruning shrubs back you start to find them a again and as for them in the bathroom Dendro take it you have some plants growing in there too [​IMG]

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Afraid it's nothing so interesting..... I do have african violets in the en-suite, so I ought to keep secateurs there, but I don't! I keep them because they're handy for when MIL gets me a nice bunch of flowers! :D