young blackbird being terrorised !!!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Lolimac, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This morning whilst sat with my cuppa enjoying the peace and quiet of the garden..All hell broke loose....The birds started sceaming so i ran out into the garden and saw a young blackbird,not much bigger than a fledgling being tossed around the garden by a gang of Adult BLACKBIRDS !!! I managed to scare off the big ones (took some doing though)and the young one took cover in the bushes..it was awful to see....What was that all about ?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Might have been somebody elses fledgling, in their teritory.

Blackbirds usually let last years offspring help out, so its unlikely it was theirs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
      Ratings:
      +213
      Maybe it's cause he is black ? :D

Or sticking his beak in where is wasn't wanted ? :heehee:

... but...I am gonna go with worm envy though :D

:dbgrtmb: :heehee:

• Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,686
      Horrible. But most birds are very territorial, that's what the dawn and evening chorus is all about - "This here is MY patch. Keep off or else"! Strange that such beauty should be the possible precursor to such violence.

• capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
      Ratings:
      +1,320
      I have Blacknirds and starlings that do not agree at all, but never seen bad temper between two or more balckbirds.. as yet.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,594
      Some of the most vicious fights I've ever seen have been between blackbirds. They are violent thugs.

I once saw a fight between a blackbird and a sparrow. Given the size difference it should have been obvious who'd win, and at first it was definitely going in favour of the blackbird. But the sparrow had a attitude and ego that was way bigger, and the tenacious little mite just kept giving it everything and be it by fluke or pure determination, he gained the upper hand. I'm sure the blackbird would have won eventually if he'd tried, but he clearly didn't like the idea of being fettled by a sparrow so he flew off in retreat.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,648
      There's a lake at work where I go for a stroll at lunchtime and have been watching the waterfowl bringing up their young. There is a definate pecking order, the mallards are at the top with a gang of chav chicks that terrorise the coots and their chicks. The coots dive under the water to escape them. At the bottom of the pecking order are the moorhens, who get picked on by both the mallards and the coots. The moorhens have to skulk around the lilies and reeds to avoid the others. Occaisonally an adult heron flies in but the smaller birds mob it until it gets fed up and clears off.