1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Young blackbird

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by pip, Jun 23, 2011.

1. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi all snapped this litle fella in the rain this morning, awful lot of young blackbirds around here at the moment :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      Another lovely pic, Pip. I saw a female blackbird yesterday who was obviously going through a moult - she was a very sorry sight and had hardly any tail feathers - but was nonetheless nest building. She was carrying huge mouthfuls of moss and leafmould. Do you think this might be for a second brood?

• pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Hi there claralou, thanks for the comments. Quite likely the female was building or repairing the nest for another brood as they breed from March through to July and often have a second.

From what I can gather the blackbirds of Southern England have really struggled this year due to the dry spell, hope this rain helps.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Mine have been uprooting loads of stuff during the drought.

Now the rain has come the've gone back to the lawn for food at last.

• kapper5502

kapper5502 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +30
      Hi, I've got 3 youngsters coming at the moment. I can't believe how tame these 3 are. :) When l go out to feed them, 2 of them hop around my feet as l throw the food down. :D The other one - who has a white spot on the top of its head - is not quite so tame, he/she has to pluck up its courage before dashing in to grab a some. :loll:

Josie

• pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Indeed Kapper, some are very tame. Mrs pip has a favourite male blackbird who comes right up to the window and sings for his sultanas.

• kapper5502

kapper5502 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +30
      Hi Pip, up until last Autumn, for about 18 months, l used to have a tame Blackbird who l named Nobbi. She was an evil little thing and used to chase all the other birds off, if they so much as dared to look at "her" tasty morsel. :mad: Nobbi, was sort for N aughty O ld B lack B ird, and when l called her name, if she was within earshot, she would fly to my feet, waiting to be fed. :)

Unfortunately, because she was so tame, l think that one of the local Sparrowhawks did the unspeakable, and ate her.:cry3::cry3::cry3:

Josie

• capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
      Ratings:
      +1,320