Young Eucalyptus Worry

Discussion in 'Trees' started by BrianA, Jun 27, 2021.

1. BrianA

BrianA Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie to gardening in general, busy creating a wee oasis in a concrete and roughcast jungle of back gardens. I planted a eucalyptus sapling (from an established grower) last year as a feature. It took well, reaching about 1.5 metres, and is continuing this year. However I see a few individual red leaves with brown spots at various heights, and a distinct group right at the base. I don't think its the wind (coming over my 1.8 metre high boundary fencing), as there are just as many red leaves in the lowest branches, but we did have an unexpected very cold snap in the spring. Is this something to worry about?

2692FBBB-6144-4375-A361-0AB09EF9632C.jpeg FB332F3B-D04B-4D74-85F8-5293E0C15744.jpeg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,302
    Its normal, the lower branches will probably die out anyway.
    Further up it is just shedding some of the older leaves.

The foliage shape will change at the top of the tree fairly soon.

Eucalyptus go through a juvenile stage with the kind of foliage in your pictures, but as they get older the leaf shape changes to a longer narrow leaf, depending on species.

You can maintain the young foliage by cutting it fairly hard back in early spring, keeping it as a shrub rather, than a tree.

3. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +650
    I will start by saying I am not an expert on Eucalyptus but have a large specimen in my garden which is about 25 years old. I have just gone to look at it and it is also shedding some leaves like yours is. I am pretty sure my tree does this every year, maybe just discarding old or excess leaves it cannot support. The new growth on yours look fine so I doubt you have much to worry about, fingers crossed. Your biggest issue could be the size they grow to:yikes:. Luckily if needed they respond well to being pruned. My Eucalyptus is making a bid to be my tallest tree and getting there! It is nearly as tall as my 200+ year old Beech. Not bad going in no more than 25 years.
    E3D4C14D-5A33-4995-BEB3-F4B9A8C417EF.jpeg D029ACFD-CBBA-4B70-B524-FDF4A34A209C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,302
      Gum trees are well known for shedding masses of leaves that never rot and in some species the bark is shed as well.

• BrianA

BrianA Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Well thank you Pete and Hailbopp; what you say is reassuring.
      I am not unhappy that the lowest branches may disappear as they are making weeding a bit awkward as things stand. I was also interested in the leaves changing shape, as I had wondered about other examples having a completely different shape. I'm learning!
      I am aware of how tall these trees can grow, and intend to prune hard once it reaches about 5 metres (or what I can reach!).

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,302
      I've got one which I do similar with, but its an annual job if you dont want it to get away from you.
      I'm leaving mine for this year, but its going to be pretty big by the end of this year 25ft at least.

Cut those whispy branches off lower down, it wont hurt.

• Like Like x 1