1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Young trees still dormant/unusual new growth

Discussion in 'Trees' started by PrunusB95, Jun 12, 2016.

1. PrunusB95

PrunusB95 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +19
    Hello,

I planted last winter several plants in my garden. However a couple of them are still dormant, a very young 2 feet Magnolia and a Green Beech of a similar size. I've scratched their stems with my nails and it's green, so still alive. I'm just wondering whether they will eventually come into bloom and perform normally or whether it's better to replace them?

Another question, last March I planted a young bare root Purple Hazel tree and it's showing new growth coming out but only on the sides where the branches immediately come out of the trunk. The buds on the branches have not grown. I've never seen that before and I'm wondering whether I'll eventually have double or even triple branches coming of the trunk, rather than single branches. Could this be normal?

Many thanks.

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I haven't got an answer to your questions, but, it may be helpful to add your location to your profile as it may have something to do with where you are.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,657
    I've had a few shrubs very slow to shoot this year and some only on certain branches.

Think I've found the problem.

Snails, never seen so many snails due to the incessant rain of the last two months.

What has been occuring, I'm guessing, is the snails are eating the buds as soon as they form, so it appears the shrub is not actually shooting.

Not saying that is your problem, but it might be worth a look after dark.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • PrunusB95

Ratings:
      +19
      This is a really useful answer for so many gardeners, for a month ago I thought some of my plants were affected by a disease and I was seriously thinking of replacing them when a friend told me small slugs were eating the buds. I've read it's because of the reasonably mild winter we had that allowed them to multiply even more. The same may be true with snails.

But with my small Magnolia, the buds are still intact. I planted it outside last winter but is still dormant as the stem is green inside when I scratched on it with my nail.

Regarding my small Purple Hazel that I planted this spring, I've pruned a few branches that had purple buds and it's dry inside so those branches are dead. A few new shoots are coming out but only on the side of those dead branches.

I don't know if the above two small trees will eventually grow normally or are weak and less likely to survive in the long term. I'm saying that because I had a small Green Beech which last year stayed dormant until August, then produced leaves on the base and this year produced new leaves but now seems to have died.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Are they getting enough nutrients? :scratch:

• PrunusB95

Ratings:
        +19
        I mixed Bonemeal with the earth and compost when I planted and a few weeks ago put a fraction of Blood, Fish & Bone at the base and also some Seaweed Extract in liquid form with a watering can. I've watered them regularly. All I can think of is, when I planted both plants, I pruned the top to make it more straight and to encourage growth and I also trimmed some of the roots, like I did with many other plants, but it looks like these two didn't quite like it.

• Informative Informative x 1