1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite hardy perenials

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by manderson60, Sep 22, 2007.

1. manderson60

manderson60 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am altering one of my boders to make it into a a cottage garden border. The back of the border is the house wall and we have a plum tree trained up it. The border is 8ft by 14ft.

What are people's favourite hardy perenials and cottage garden plants?

I need some inspiration! [​IMG]

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Most of my stuff is half hardy, dies off every winter and costs an arm and a leg to replace every spring. But if you have walls, I just love climbers. Clematis everywhere in my garden. So much choice. So much colour. Can get them flowering from April to September, (not the same ones). Otherwise - I am sure one of my neighbours is growing marijuana as a perennial. ;) :D

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Well for me it has to be good old Phlox Traditional cottage flower as my 1st choice,they flower for quite a while & have a lovely scent, especially in the evenings. Love their mop heads too.. Holly Hocks 2nd & Lavender coming a very strong & versatile third.... There are loads I really like, but these simple ones are my faves... Well they are at the moment anyway.... :rolleyes: :D

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    For me it has to be Acanthus spinosa followed closely by Phlox with Lobelia cardinalis a very close third ( if the slugs leave it alone ). David.

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Manderson60

I love Delphiniums so tall and statley and how about Dianthus/garden pinks or a Bleeding heart oh dear I could go on and on! :D
    Helen.xxx.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Marion - thats a good wide bed. You can afford to have some height. My choice at the back would be Eupatorium purpureum (flowers for a long time), Hollyhocks and Delphiniums, Filipendula rubra Venusta (a beautiful pink) and Aster 'Little Carlow' (absolutely covered in flower now). In the middle I would have Centranthus rubra, Astrantia (there's white, pink, and very dark red) - both of these are very long flowering see http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000130 .

I would also have Anemone japonica, Lobelia 'Queen Victoria' (red flowers, purple foliage) L 'Tanya' (purple flowers, green foliage), L syphalitica (blue flowers - very hardy), Astilbe, Verbena bonariensis, Echinacea, and at the front Nepeta, Geraniums (Russell Prichard, Mrs Kendal Clark, Patricia and Rozanne are all very long flowering. etc.

7. EileenR

EileenR Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Marion... my favourites have to be Pentsomens..lots of colours and very long lasting throughout the Summer if you remove dead heads. Good luck with whatever you deceide to do.

8. Barra

Barra Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you cant beat phlox peniculata it starts off around 80cm x 40 cm and each year it spreads around 30 cm and has the best shades around and v hardy.

9. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    lupins or miclmous daisy

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,409
    I have always liked (and grown) Agapanthus, others are Incarvillea, Eremurus and Cosmos. [​IMG]

11. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,804
    I just love my Aquilegias and Perennial Wallflowers and the Saxifraga x Urbium [​IMG]

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You've just got to have Carnations/Pinks. Can't think of anything more traditional. [​IMG]

13. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Definitely cosmos, and the chocolate ones are a joy. I also like daisy-flowered things like argyranthemums, echinacea, osteospurmums etc. and also astrantia,dahlias and, of course, you can't do without geraniums in one form or another.