your favourite tv gardener??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by plantaholic, Sep 20, 2007.

1. plantaholic

plantaholic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't agree more. He tells you he doesn't always follow the rules and strive for perfection..if you like the result, thats what matters!

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I use to watch without fail when Titchmarsh was doing Gardener's World.

I agree with you Cajary I don't need nor like to follow trends just want to have good advice that will aid me in my gardening adventures.

Seems now that most of Gardener's World is really boring :(
    Helen.xxx.

3. plantaholic

plantaholic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can't beat the old episodes of Gardeners World shown on the Sky gardening channel..they still feature Geoff Hamilton. Hardly any decking or gravel in sight!!!

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!! TITCHY!!

[​IMG]

5. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You probably don't get her over there but I like Rebecca Kolls. She is informative and down to earth.

6. carolla

carolla Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i like sven wombwell as his designs are always easy to maintain. carolla

7. dancing queen

dancing queen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Titchy for me to , i`ve just been watching him , showing the very basics of gardening . I`ve learnt a few things :D

8. glasgowgreen

glasgowgreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I too like Alan Titchmarsh. Especially "How to be a gardener" I hope it gets repeated [​IMG]
    I quite like the other "trendy" shows like city gardener and ground force. I t can spark off ideas, that, of course I don't put into practice!
    Smile like you mean it [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Linda

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Some Of Geoff's best designs had gravel in them like the wonderful little herb garden he did where he used earthware sewage pipes!
    Helen.xxx.

10. lapod

lapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Havent had a telly for thirty years so only know presenters through gardeners question time on Radio 4 I like Bob Flowerdew as he's really practical for me and into least work methods of gardening and also Pippa Greenwood, becasue she knows so much. Maybe they have to do arty-+ar+y stuff on T.V because its visual.

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    I don't have one, I just don't like TV gardeners. I watched a few Geof Hamilton programmes in the 80's(90's?) but nothing since.
    Could NEVER watch a 'makeover' programme, that's entertainment fodder for non-gardeners.

12. plantaholic

plantaholic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree about some of the makeover programmes. Can't say I've learnt much from them and the plants seem to be an afterthought.

13. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I cant stand the makeover programmes, but i am partial to a gardeners world programme. In fact i'm fairly new to them in fact. [​IMG] I've also just read Titchmarshes book, so i guess i'd call him my fav tv gardener by default.

14. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    He must be knocking on a bit now. he still writes for the Lady magazine - my mother in law gets it. Same down to earth style he used to have when he used to write in Popular Gardening. I always thought he was a good TV gardener, he knew his plants and was enthusiastic...and didn't take himself too seriously. Of the present bunch i like Titchmarsh the best but he is wasted on all those chat programmes. I saw Titchmarsh doing book signing at a flower show. There was a posse of security heavies to make sure the middle aged groupies did not manhandle him. At the same show Joe Swift was swanning around surrounded by media types.
    At another show I saw Chris Beardsmore who had been judging the gardens. He just wandered around on his own like anyone else and spent a lot of time with some schoolkids that he had worked with before.

15. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,362
    Thanks for the info on Geoffrey Smith, Geoff.