1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Your new plant find of 2013

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gay Gardener, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    Thought this might bring out some creme de la creme plants for recommendation of a plant new to you this year, though to be honest I had quite a few in I'd like to suggest so it really focuses the mind a bit. Anyway a little find I made that I'd never grown before in an attempt to replace floppy front of border cranesbills. Result!

Erodium Bishops Form
    Little dab of a thing at 4" high but has a tight compact habit with a slightly spreading nature with deep pink flowers, I bought mine as young plants about the size of a fist and they are now the size of a large spread hand. I bought a couple I think two months ago and mine has flowered strongly ever since and looks very handsome at the very front of one of my beds as well as in a little rockery bit I have. Supposedly it flowers from May-first frost. Easy to care for, the only thing it needs is sun and the occasional drink in prolonged dry spell. Otherwise looks after itself.

Cheers
    GG

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Nice thread .... mmm now what would I choose for this year I will get back to you

Spruce

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      The last week has seen my two picks of this years new plants bloom;

Dietes iridioides..........................
      [​IMG]

Amongst the new Tricyrtis to bloom so far, T.macropoda wins by a short nose....................
      [​IMG]

Really useful as it enjoys heavy shade.

• Like Like x 13
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Victoria , Begonia Bonfire was the first begonia I bought , its an absolutely stunning plant! I kept it for 3 years then lost it . I can't find them anywhere now . I even contacted Tesslar but they couldn't advise a retailer . If anyone can find them on line let me know :dbgrtmb:
        Its type is begonia boliviensis which have bell shaped flowers , quite a few others on the web but I really want the Bonfire !

Longk , lovely plants :dbgrtmb: Just wish I could pronounce them !

Good post Gay Gardener we can exchange a few good finds for the 2014 wish list !

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        upload_2013-9-14_8-58-12.png
        The above picture I swiped off the net as I've only just bought a pot of it, Sanguisorba Pink Brushes. I already grow the more common Burnet which is a good trouble free plant which flowers in the Spring. This variety however evidently flowers in August/September so great (hopefully) for adding to the time my herbaceous borders look interesting. By the middle ofAugust so many things have already flowered I'm always on the look out for plants which flower later in the season. I think it will look good in front of Cimicifuga Racemosa Atropurpurea (what a mouthful!) which flowers at about the same time and it's very dark foliage should offset the Pink Brushes flowers well.This variety of Sanguisorba may well have been around for ages but it's new to me. I avoid going to garden centres/nurseries like the plague as my self control flies straight out the window if I "happen by accident"! to find myself somewhere that sells plants.

• Like Like x 3
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Thanks!

Start the thread off and I'll fill it up for you! My want list is vast (and mostly totally stoopid in our climate).

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Persicaria virginiana var. filiformis. looks to be growing with the same vigor as Red Dragon, and a nice complement to it.

[​IMG]
          http://www.cgf.net/plants.aspx?id=8&hid=6&genus=PERSICARIA

Plus anything else from cgf.net witha Bob's Score of 10 !!

Honourable mention to Agapanthus Queen Mum - nice two-tone of blue and white.

• Like Like x 4
          • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
            Ratings:
            +50,898
            :) Hi Harry, Bonfire seems to be available here (I put it in my basket as a test and it was available) ... http://www.thompson-morgan.com/publ...tion&portal:isSecure=false&productCode=9999TM

• Informative Informative x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              I have never tried begonias from seed Victoria , could be a bit tricky ?

My two best finds this year are:-
              Phlox drummondii 'Moody Blues'
              and
              Laurentia 'Avant-Garde Blue'
              The photo was taken in late July but they are still both going strongish ,the Laurentia is just a tad leggy now.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
              • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
                Ratings:
                +50,898
                ... always a first time, Harry ... :heehee: ... in saying that, I am useless with seed and prefer the 'instant garden' buying an established plant. :rolleyespink:

That Lauretia is lovely (as is the pot in general) I didn't see it this year to buy, but I haven't been to the garden centers much. Must go in a few weeks as Sis and BinL are coming down from Germany for a couple of weeks commencing mid October, so need to fill a few 'gaps'.

• Like Like x 1
                • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +14,363
                  This was one of my Plantworld experiments this year...it's been tantalising for about three weeks, watching the flower buds expand, but it was worth it! Will have to check up on hardiness. There are plants in various borders, and a couple in pots just in case. convolvulus carnea.JPG

• Like Like x 4
                  • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
                    Ratings:
                    +50,898
                    What is it Noisette? ... very pretty and looks familiar ... is it one of the varigated Morning Glories or Mandevillas?

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +14,363
                    It's Convolvulus carnea, Victoria. Makes a bushy plant instead of climbing. I'm hoping that it will set seed. Everything here is at least a month late this year but if the morning glories are anything to go by, there'll be some seed for the swap:)

• Informative Informative x 3
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,318
                      One of my favourites of this year has to be Campanula 'Thyrsoides' grown from Chilterns seed last year, its around 18inches tall, I was told the plants would die after flowering but I'm pleased to say they don't seem to have done, I left the flower spike so I could collect seed and the plant did die back but lo and behold a new rosette of leaves has now grown at the base of every one, I have it planted in sun and part shade and it does well in both even some in shade under a tree are doing well.
                      campanula thyrsoides.jpg

• Like Like x 3