1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yucca needs

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by nikirushka, Aug 1, 2015.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I just want to check if my yuccas are ok staying put, or if I'll need to move them at some point.

I have two, one is in a totally shaded spot and doing well but at present it's only got a few feet of space as it's in a small border under a magnolia with a forsythia right next to it. The forsythia as at the end of the bed, in full sun, with a bit more space as that bed is going to extended along the front edge of the garden (front of the house). It's exposed there though. Would that be a better spot for that yucca or is it ok where it is?

The second was originally next to the first, but the first year I was here I moved it to the small bed by my front step. So that one has full sun, but not much room at all - the bed to the best I can guess is roughly 4' x 2' and the yucca is in the middle of one end, if that makes sense. Currently it's about 3-4' tall. It's sharing the bed with a spirea but that is also coming out very soon, along with the old crocosmia that's filling in the gaps. I will put something else in but I'm not sure yet - nothing huge, I expect lobelia or similar round the bottom then something diminuitive in the middle. Will it be ok there or should I try and plan a new location for it when I get cracking with the back garden? I'll have the choice of pretty much any sun/shade/wind/whatever combo back there as it'll be an almost 100% new planting start. I'm still deciding where to put everything.

Thanks.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Yuccas need full sun to flower well, they survive in shade, but the more sun the better.

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    @pete , you'll sometimes see these sold as houseplants. Are they in fact one and the same? Sorry to digress.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    The one usually sold as a house plant is Y. elephantipies, its spine less, forms a trunk and in warm countries can get quite tall.
    The ones grown in gardens in the UK are mostly from the USA, tend to be shorter, some such as Y. filamentosa or flaccida, dont actually form an above ground stem.
    Y. gloriosa is probably one of the commonest here, but there are others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1