Yucca transplant

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by stubaynton, Mar 21, 2011.

1. stubaynton

stubaynton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

absolute complete novice when it comes to green stuff, but eager to learn, so here goes.

recently chopping back a old shrubbery row and discovered what i think is a Yucca growing sideways out of the ground, presumably searching for light. Ive attached a pic so u can see. My question is, how do I take a bit of it off so i can repot and have as a house plant. At the moment its about 5ft tall (well, 5ft long as its growing sideways along the floor...) Ive read somewhere you just saw the trunk off, dry it out and then pot it. I'd ideally want a 1ft plant in a pot to start with.

Any advice?

Sorry if my terminology sounds a little nooby :)

Stu.

[​IMG]

2. stubaynton

Ratings:
    +0
    And the 2nd part to my question is, if i was to cut it about a foot from where it comes out of the ground, if i leave that bit in the ground will it grow again?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,359
    I would be interested to know what species of Yucca it is.

If its the normal hardy types of yucca grown outside I doubt you would want or succeed with it as a house plant.

But propagation of Yuccas is normally very simple and along the lines you describe, and the remaining stem should re shoot.

4. stubaynton

Ratings:
    +0
    apparently it was originally a house plant for many years, and got too big, so was planted in the garden and had been there ever since.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,359
    OK so its probably Elephantipes, the usual house plant species.

It not totally hardy, so has probably survived because it was covered by other plants

6. stubaynton

Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks for the advice. ill have a go at transplanting it :)