1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yucky frozen Mange Tout

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Nov 3, 2015.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Livid as I had a great crop of Mange Tout and I froze pounds and pound of them. Friend told me that they freeze well and just put them in the freezer straight after picking them without bothering to blanche them.
    Well today was the 1st time we tried them...revolting. They were a greyish colour, tough and tasteless and guess what? I've got lots more of the same in the freezer. Daughter managed to eat hers but I and husband both left ours. Daughter extremely relieved when I said the rest were heading for the compost heap!
    So my question is, will blanching them make all the difference or is it a myth that Mange Tout freeze well?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I think your friend was wrong:dunno::whistle::doh::heehee:

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    When you freeze veg, the water within its cells expands as ice, rupturing the cell walls. All of them. So that when they thaw, they quite literally have no structure and turn to mush.

Anything that is hardy produces its own natural antifreeze, and so does better in the freezer. You can do a little experiment. Try freezing something Mediterranean like a tomato or a pepper, alongside something like a cabbage or something. Thaw them out. Both will suffer, but the hardy cabbage will be a lot more appetizing than the completely liquid pepper:)

Mangetoute is the same. The pods are tender. They're designed to fall apart in the cold to release the much more hardy seeds (the peas within) so they can grow the following spring.

If you blanch veg first, you soften the cells so they can stretch as the ice expands, without rupturing everything.

Or in short, raw mangetout doesn't freeze well.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Thanks @clueless. Hmm @ARMANDII what' this:heehee: doing in your post??? when I am in the dreadfully unfortunate position of having loads of inedible produce...... ok yes if I'd read my post I'd have probably added a :roflol: too! It's a complete bu..er as we were looking forward to a taste of summer through the winter months. So I have made a ba..s up. What neither of you have answered tho is whether blanched and then frozen Mange Tout are good to eat and is the effort worth it? Would I be better to grow just enough Mange Tout to eat fresh and Peas to freeze...post being blanched of course!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,595
        Yes, if you blanch them first they'll freeze. Although they'll never quite have the flavour or texture of fresh.

You could just buy some. The supermarkets seem to have their own TTH, as they seem to be able to sell everything at any time of year.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        "Mangetout" vegetables refer to those vegetables you can eat whole along with the skin. This refers specifically to peas, or the type of pea such as sugar snaps or mangetout that you do not need to hull in order to eat. When freezing these vegetables for longer storage, you will need to blanch them to kill the bacteria and enzymes that could hamper extended life. Make a large batch ahead of time and only briefly scald them, prior to shocking them in cold water, and sealing for freezing".
        Mange Tout

[​IMG]

There are two types of mange tout peas. Flat-podded peas, where the pod remains flat and thepeas do not swell and sugar snap peas or round-podded peas, which swell within the pod butthe pod remains edible. Mange tout peas are eaten whole and have a delicate flavour, providing they are not over cooked. They are best blanched and refreshed or stir-fried. They can also be eaten raw. Peas are classified as pulses or legumes (alongside beans and lentils). They are rich in good quality protein, which makes them the ideal choice of meat substitute for the vegetarian.Mange tout are rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C and a good source of fibre and thiamin.
        Nutritional Value

Nutrient Raw Cooked
        Energy kJ 136 111
        Kcal 32 26
        Protein g 3.6 3.2
        Carbohydrate g 4.2 3.3
        Fat g 0.2 0.1
        A good source of…

Nutrient Raw Cooked
        Fibre [​IMG] [​IMG]
        Vitamin A [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
        Vitamin C [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
        Thiamin [​IMG]
        For more information on nutrition and the details given above, check out our nutrition page.

Preparing and Using

In top condition the pods should be bright green and lively looking. Mange tout just need to be topped and tailed before cooking. They should be cooked quickly in rapidly boiling water with a sprig of mint, or steamed (they are easy to overcook). Stir-fried, add at the last minute to ensure they remain crisp. Mangetout can be eaten raw added to salads.

Mange tout can be used in Spring rolls, as a garnish and as a vegetable side dish. They are used in oriental dishes and soups. Ingredients and flavours that go with mange tout include soy sauce, ginger, coriander, sesame oil, mint,oyster sauce, spring onions and pine nuts.

• silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks both I think I now know all there is to about Mangy Touts (Touts pronounced as in ticket touts) so named by my little niece. Think you are right @clueless1 probably best to buy them fresh as to me part of their attraction is the crisp texture and can't see that surviving once frozen even if I blanch them 1st.What with these being a disaster and my Parsnips resembling petrified wood, I am thankful for the likes of Tescos and wondering if I should stick to shrubs, trees and herbaceous which seem to do fine for me.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,665
        When I used to grow loads of runner beans some years ago, we used to go down the road of slicing them and then blanching them.

They never turned to mush, but they were bloody tasteless.

Never bothered after that.

Better off buying them in the supermarket.

• Like Like x 1