1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yukka plantI think?????

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by moonrakermagpie, May 10, 2009.

1. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have just been given two "yukka" plants, I think?????

They are about 1 metre tall with thick green leaves about 30 mm wide and about 300/400 mm long that end in a point, these leaves, of which there are between 50 and a hundred, come from a central stalk and splay out and hang down at the lower end and gradually point upwards as they get nearer the top of the plant

The stalk is about 75 mm in diameter and is a bit like a large leek at the bottom, (sort of that is), about half way up the stalk/trunk the leave start to radiate out around the plant. At the lower part of the stalk, the bit with no leaves, the lady showed me where the are small roots starting to shoot.

If this is a yukka plant, they were growing outside in a garden, and were growing partially covered in "ash" from a wood burner or the like.

Looking on the internet most yukka's are refered to as "indoor plants", if these are yukka's, can I grow them outside and what sort of soil do they like, and do they like shade or sun etc!!!!

Many thanks

Steve

Are these actually yukka plants.

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Steve,

A photo would be nice to decide if they are Yuccas or not. They do sound like a yucca from your description.

If they were quite happily growing outside, then I would suggest that they again would be happy to grow out doors.

You can get yuccas that will grow both in and out doors. Lots of people have them in pots, that can be moved indoors during the winter, and others have their yuccas planted outdoors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/998.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/997.shtml

Have a look at these pages, see if you can identify your yucca from these, if not try the rhs pages, they are generally quite good for information.

Hope this Helps!

3. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I think they are yukka's - any idea on soil and position??????

Many thanks

Steve.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,932
    I'm just wondering if they might be cordylines.

Steve, are the leaves ending in a sharp spine?

Its just that most yuccas grown outside in the UK, tend to be bush types, with more than one rosette of leaves by the time they are a metre high.

But either way yucca or cordyline they need full sun and well drained soil.

5. butterflies

butterflies Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If it is a Yukka, which it sounds like it is.
    I moved to my house 8 years ago and there was one at the bottom of the garden then, its grown loads, its now about 8-9ft tall and we've done nothing for it, just left it to it through all 4 seasons and it thrives!

Good luck!

6. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Hi Butterflies. It sounds like a Yukka. In this pic the yukka is at the front, the cordyline further back. Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

7. moonrakermagpie

moonrakermagpie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

If anyone is an X-pert........ As I have uprooted my Yuccas and they need to re-root themselves, would they do better in a green house?????

Many thanks

Steve:scratch::gnthb::wink::skp::help::cnfs::yho:

8. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Why uproot them if they were happy where they were I will try to get pics of my yukkas they have been outside for years they don't seem to be bothered by frosts at all either.

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I think it`s more likely a Cordyline. Yucca leaves are fairly rigid and do not hang down. What you are describing is the typical habit of Cordylines.:gnthb: