1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

yukka

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by carol00, Sep 26, 2005.

1. carol00

carol00 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last summer I put my indoor yukka out in the garden and because of its size left it out during the winter. Because of the frost damage I lost several of the lower leaves but the plant has survived. Now the palnt is about 5feet hight and has 2 shoots from the main stem one of which has lost all its leaves. However in the last 2 weeks it has started to develop 2 new shoots on the top of this long thin stork. Appart from the plant looking long and bare I dont think the stork will be strong enough to take the weight of 2 shoots as they grow bigger. My question is can I cut of the stem with the new shoots and repot them if I can then what do I have to do. :confused:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,987
    Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol.
    Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them could be difficult at this time of the year though.
    I cut mine with a fine toothed saw, let the cut surface dry for a few days, and pot up in gritty compost. Bottom heat from a propagator is best to get roots forming and without that you could try a warm window sill, be very careful with the watering, too little is better than too much, especially at this time of the year. :D
    One other thing I forgot to mention, if you cut the stem up into pieces, make sure you plant the pieces the right way up.

[ 27. September 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]