Zaluzianskya

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pete, May 1, 2006.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Hi Pete, I am interested that some of your Osteospermum are hardy, as you say it must be drainage, as your temperature can fall quite low. I have always assumed the bedding ones and the hardy ones are the same. A bit like Pelargoniums (ie geraniums), that most people junk at the end of the season, but which will survive the winter with a bit of help.

I have just seen again my earlier post about Osteospermum cuttings in water. I forgot when I did it. On 3rd May I put six cuttings in water, four have done nothing - but still look healthy. One has a short root of a tenth of an inch, but one has 5 roots of between half an inch and an inch long.

I also put 3 Monada cuttings in water 10 days ago, and they are all sprouting healthy roots.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,315
    It is drainage to some extent Peter but these are different types, wish I knew the correct names but I dont, The white one is called "paleface" thats all the label had on it.
    But they are definitely different to the bedders.
    I could send you some cuttings if your interested.

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    oh I nicked some cuttings yesterday - have to confess to someone, I just stuck them in water, worst thing is I am going back tomorrow to get some to stick in compost and - well...... vermiculite/perlite mix??? just bought a bag of other stuff and both VERY different.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Thanks for your kind offer Pete, I would love to have said yes - but I already have 200 or 300 seedlings/small plants sitting on my patio and absolutely nowhere to put them. I think I might take up "virtual gardening" on the internet. You can expand as much as you like - and no weeding! Come to think of it that's what this forum is. :D