1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Zantadeschia / Calla Lily Bulb

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GardenYank, Sep 27, 2011.

1. GardenYank

GardenYank Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my first Calla Lily this summer. It flowered for a bit either it didn't like the spot it was in, or I bought it late in the season, because it slowly degenerated after about 2 weeks. After all the leaves had turned brown, I harvested the bulb, knocked off the dirt and dead leaves, let it dry for 2 weeks, and I've attached pictures of how it looks today.

It seems to be budding several mini-bulbs off of the central bulb. Each of these mini-bulbs have 2 or more 'eyes'.

I have read that if these bulbs get too big, you can split them into pieces, does anyone have experience with that? Should I break off all of the mini-bulbs and treat them as separate bulbs? Should I also break the central bulb apart?

Also, I have been considering trying to replant the bulb, or some portion of it, to see if I can get it to grow during the winter in a sunny spot inside. So far I don't know when to plant, or how to plant, so any advice at all along these lines is appreciated. I read a thread on here where the grower placed the bulbs half covered in soil in individual pots covered with plastic wrap. As a default I will try some variant of that plan.

Attached Files:

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi GardenYank, callas are quite sensitive to water stagnating in the pot and the position where they are placed, which should not be not under the direct sun nor in total shadow.
    For example placed on the stairs in a spot that is sunny only part of the day.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I'd be interested to know the colour of the flower.

Guessing it was not white?

I personally would not bother trying to grow it again until next spring, just keep it dry and cool,(frost free).

You could remove the smaller rhizomes from the parent plant, I'd do that next spring, allowing the cut surface to dry before planting.
    I doubt the smaller ones will flower next year, they might need a couple of years to build up.

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    I have the white with purple throat and it's developing its seeds now. but it's my first year also. Guess I'll just leave it rest and see what happens. As we are still warmish (26-27c) I am still watering but it is in a shaded but slightly filtered sun position.