1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Soil mix? Garden soil, Topsoil?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by MJ76, Mar 27, 2024.

1. MJ76

MJ76 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello folks hopefully a quick question regarding soil. I apparently need a combination of compost and garden soil for some of my potted plants. I have bags of compost. I am reading that garden soil is topsoil (which i can find easily online) with added nutrients. Unless im looking in the wrong places I cant seem to find garden soil as easily available. I dont want to have to dig up any borders to get 'my garden soil' and am guessing the soil from my garden isnt the same as garden soil. When i look for garden soil online, i get Topsoil, or Compost - its driving me bonkers! Thank you in advance!

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,418
    Topsoil is fine. Most GCs and DIY stores stock it. You can also get John Innes composts, which are soil based. The J.I. thing is just a formula.
    It depends on what you're using it for, but most plants are fine with a bit of compost and soil mixed together. You can add grit for containers if it's something that needs sharper drainage.
    It's only a problem if the soil you buy is very acidic or very alkaline, and the plant you're growing would be adversely affected by that, in which case the J. Innes mixes are best. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,880
      Yep. Bag of topsoil is what you want (or just dig it out of your borders). It provides the body for long term pot planting and the compost provides the nutrients

• Like Like x 1
      • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,180
        Garden soil is topsoil. The stuff you buy in bags is just good quality (hopefully!) garden soil, sterilised and sieved. John Innes 3 has quite a lot in it.

• Like Like x 1
        • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +950
          What are you planning to grow in your pots @MJ76? Some plants prefer less rich soil or require more drainage than others. I use a blend of soil based compost, MPC, grit or gravel, with proportions depending on what I am growing and for how long.

• Like Like x 2
            Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
          • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Gardener

Ratings:
            +701
            Interesting. I used to always add soil to a mix for pots, but in recent years (last 10+) I've not. Fortunately I have access to unlimited horse manure which is my substitute for part of the bulk. Depending on the plants requirement either more or less grit/perlite gets added ditto JI base in varying small amounts. I've not as yet found anything that suffers from it. Acidic plants are a different ball-game and are forever being tended, especially the blueberries.

• Like Like x 1
            • MJ76

MJ76 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +3
              Thank you for the answers folks, im repotting a red robin which I believe likes the soil neutral or slightly acidic.

• MJ76

MJ76 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +3
              Thanks Fairygirl, when you say the JI is soil based - does it still need soil to be added or is it like premixed ready to go?

• fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +1,418
              If you look at the various types of JI composts, you'll see what they're designed to suit. I don't use them myself, but lots of people do. Some are for general shrubs, some are for acid loving types etc.
              You would normally use them on their own, but it would always depend on how and what you're growing, and your climate. This is why location is so important. For example, I wouldn't need to water potted shrubs at this time of year, while people in very dry areas would.

Your location will also dictate how well those particular Photinias do. They always look terrible here over autumn/winter, especially the standards, because the climate just doesn't suit them. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +86,164
                You dont need to add anything to a JI compost, it is a soil based compost that is ready to go.

That said I often add either some multipurpose compost or sharp sand as some times it can vary, (just like all kinds of compost, be it peat free or peat based its never quite the same twice), just to open it up and make it less "muddy".

You can buy JI in no1, no2, no 3 and seed versions, for potting on shrubs. in general, you would mostly go for No3 as it has the most fertiliser.

You can get an ericaceous version, but you would only use that on lime hating plants.
                Its not widely available I dont think but I sometimes see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
                  Ratings:
                  +1,418
                  Thanks for clarifying that @pete. As I said, they aren't something I ever use, but it's one of those things that often crops up, and I can understand that it's very confusing for someone who isn't aware of all the ins and outs :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • MJ76

MJ76 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3
                    Thank you again =) think thats all questions answere much appreciated

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +950
                      For a Red Robin, I’d use John Innes no 3 with a few handfuls of multipurpose compost to lighten it up a bit. You could also add a few handfuls of grit to help with drainage.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
                        Ratings:
                        +1,418
                        I'd think the most important thing is to have a suitably sized pot - ie a pretty big one, or else you'd have to keep taking it out and doing some root pruning, and keeping the top reasonably well trimmed. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1