1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. SBcBWIQN

Dealing with Rocky soil?

Thank you and sorry! I managed to miss the upload a file button and just saw the attach image one.@infradig - Yes that's the one! A secured outdoor space for the cat, I've been looking at some...
    Thank you and sorry! I managed to miss the upload a file button and just saw the attach image one.@infradig - Yes that's the one! A secured outdoor space for the cat, I've been looking at some cat safe plants to go down, before Is start with it all I just want to get rid of the rocks and mud...
    Thank you and sorry! I managed to miss the upload a file button and just saw the attach image one.@infradig - Yes that's the one! A secured outdoor space for the cat, I've been looking at some cat safe plants to go down, before Is start with...
    Thank you and sorry! I managed to miss the upload a file button and just saw the attach image one.@infradig - Yes that's the one! A secured outdoor space for the cat, I've been looking at some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Caecius

Hoses & Kitchen Sink Taps

Quite a number of years ago I used a self cutting tap, mainly due to access issues, The hole they cut is possibly about 6 mm also the bit they cut out is retained in the original 12 mm pipe.
    Quite a number of years ago I used a self cutting tap, mainly due to access issues, The hole they cut is possibly about 6 mm also the bit they cut out is retained in the original 12 mm pipe.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. HousePlantHermit

Propergating Ivy

Ivy root really easily, I'd just pot it up rather than have it in water.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Bron

Morello cherry tree

See : www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/cherries/grow-your-own paragraph 5 refers to pruning.
    See : www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/cherries/grow-your-own paragraph 5 refers to pruning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Caecius

Mossy Decking on Balcony

Try it and see, cheap and easy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. TonyNewbie
    Like x 3

Another new gardener!

Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Great info!! Thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. HousePlantHermit

Gardening courses

Ok, Dahlias in large pots/tubs no problem. Grow tubers (look a bit like potatoes!)which are in garden centres now. Strawberries can do well in troughs, many commercial crops now grown this way....
    Ok, Dahlias in large pots/tubs no problem. Grow tubers (look a bit like potatoes!)which are in garden centres now. Strawberries can do well in troughs, many commercial crops now grown this way. Buy plants online or watch for them at Lidl. Sunflowers are easy and offer spectacle/colour, grow from...
    Ok, Dahlias in large pots/tubs no problem. Grow tubers (look a bit like potatoes!)which are in garden centres now. Strawberries can do well in troughs, many commercial crops now grown this way. Buy plants online or watch for them at Lidl....
    Ok, Dahlias in large pots/tubs no problem. Grow tubers (look a bit like potatoes!)which are in garden centres now. Strawberries can do well in troughs, many commercial crops now grown this way....
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Tara Jane

Too late with spring bulbs?

Oh yes , thank you, I’ll do that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Paul4321

Hedge row

Thanks everyone for your input. All very helpful. Best regards, Paul
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Gn0me

Don't know what to do now - Clamatis & Forsythia done for?

You may find that the root systems are extensive, making total removal a major job. My thoughts are that you could get a tree surgeon type to remove the top and dispose, a smallish task for them....
    You may find that the root systems are extensive, making total removal a major job. My thoughts are that you could get a tree surgeon type to remove the top and dispose, a smallish task for them. Leave some stems of clematis as @noisette47 suggests and see what comes. You might add your choice...
    You may find that the root systems are extensive, making total removal a major job. My thoughts are that you could get a tree surgeon type to remove the top and dispose, a smallish task for them. Leave some stems of clematis as @noisette47...
    You may find that the root systems are extensive, making total removal a major job. My thoughts are that you could get a tree surgeon type to remove the top and dispose, a smallish task for them....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kgbow

Where to start?!

We have had a LOT done in the last week.Another pal of mine has a mini digger. So we decided it would be best to pull the ivy out... we cleared so much land with that thing. We also levelled...
    We have had a LOT done in the last week.Another pal of mine has a mini digger. So we decided it would be best to pull the ivy out... we cleared so much land with that thing. We also levelled the parts of the field that were very ridged.The shed is now clear and mostly spider free apart...
    We have had a LOT done in the last week.Another pal of mine has a mini digger. So we decided it would be best to pull the ivy out... we cleared so much land with that thing. We also levelled the parts of the field that were very ridged....
    We have had a LOT done in the last week.Another pal of mine has a mini digger. So we decided it would be best to pull the ivy out... we cleared so much land with that thing. We also levelled...
    IMG_7639.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Barders

Cut back a hardy fuchsia to move it?

I've found fuchsias bleed if you prune them in spring, fine if you are just removing dead wood but if you cut into hard wood the sap runs for a few days. Not really noticed it causes real problem...
    I've found fuchsias bleed if you prune them in spring, fine if you are just removing dead wood but if you cut into hard wood the sap runs for a few days. Not really noticed it causes real problem though, just seems a waste.
    I've found fuchsias bleed if you prune them in spring, fine if you are just removing dead wood but if you cut into hard wood the sap runs for a few days. Not really noticed it causes real problem though, just seems a waste.
    I've found fuchsias bleed if you prune them in spring, fine if you are just removing dead wood but if you cut into hard wood the sap runs for a few days. Not really noticed it causes real problem...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Funkydad

How to take cuttings from plant

Sorry to get back so late. Many thanks for the replies and advice. Wasn't sure how the multi-quote worked.
    Sorry to get back so late. Many thanks for the replies and advice. Wasn't sure how the multi-quote worked.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Ayrshirebirder

Liverwort and very wet soil

Yes very wet and very compacted . Acidic soil also . I came from chalky Buckinghamshire so this is all new to me . Lol
    Yes very wet and very compacted . Acidic soil also . I came from chalky Buckinghamshire so this is all new to me . Lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Adam1303

Diy organic fertilisers/soil conditioner

Very interesting, from your comments it sounds like there is a growing community around this subject, expect its developed from things like the No Dig and Organic methods.If you have a large...
    Very interesting, from your comments it sounds like there is a growing community around this subject, expect its developed from things like the No Dig and Organic methods.If you have a large enough garden are you going to reserve part for typical soil treatment to use a a reference against...
    Very interesting, from your comments it sounds like there is a growing community around this subject, expect its developed from things like the No Dig and Organic methods.If you have a large enough garden are you going to reserve part for...
    Very interesting, from your comments it sounds like there is a growing community around this subject, expect its developed from things like the No Dig and Organic methods.If you have a large...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Chapster

Tomato and potato leaves unhealthy

@Chapster I would definitely say they have been affected by blight. Best to do as advised above. As long as you take care not to dig up any of the potatoes they will be fine underground for a few...
    @Chapster I would definitely say they have been affected by blight. Best to do as advised above. As long as you take care not to dig up any of the potatoes they will be fine underground for a few more weeks.
    @Chapster I would definitely say they have been affected by blight. Best to do as advised above. As long as you take care not to dig up any of the potatoes they will be fine underground for a few more weeks.
    @Chapster I would definitely say they have been affected by blight. Best to do as advised above. As long as you take care not to dig up any of the potatoes they will be fine underground for a few...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Judy1979

Black Narcissus….. when I can prune

Also its occurred to me that oif the intention is for flowers? Then maybe pruning should actually take place after flowering, anything during later times is likely to cut off flowering wood. But...
    Also its occurred to me that oif the intention is for flowers? Then maybe pruning should actually take place after flowering, anything during later times is likely to cut off flowering wood. But not grown this plant, so only a thought.
    Also its occurred to me that oif the intention is for flowers? Then maybe pruning should actually take place after flowering, anything during later times is likely to cut off flowering wood. But not grown this plant, so only a thought.
    Also its occurred to me that oif the intention is for flowers? Then maybe pruning should actually take place after flowering, anything during later times is likely to cut off flowering wood. But...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Bob Spade

Mystery Monster

Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to...
    Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to make Marshmallows a confection. Sorry I failed to give an indication of the leaf size Pete, will try...
    Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to make Marshmallows a confection. Sorry I failed to...
    Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Starzy84

Mushrooms?

As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do...
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do when I see them.
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do when I see them.
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Cat_On_Track

Unhappy Rhododendron?

You can get ericaceous JI compost, but I'd still mix it with either peat or a standard ericaceous compost. I was under the impression that there are a certain group of Rhodos that originate in...
    You can get ericaceous JI compost, but I'd still mix it with either peat or a standard ericaceous compost. I was under the impression that there are a certain group of Rhodos that originate in North America which are lime tolerant.
    You can get ericaceous JI compost, but I'd still mix it with either peat or a standard ericaceous compost. I was under the impression that there are a certain group of Rhodos that originate in North America which are lime tolerant.
    You can get ericaceous JI compost, but I'd still mix it with either peat or a standard ericaceous compost. I was under the impression that there are a certain group of Rhodos that originate in...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice