NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. cindy

Fragrant plant suggestions wanted

To add to those mentioned Cindy, here goes......:)Perennial heliotrope .....go for White Lady, White Queen or Chatsworth. The cherry pie is to die for. I have plants all over the garden esp on...
    To add to those mentioned Cindy, here goes......:)Perennial heliotrope .....go for White Lady, White Queen or Chatsworth. The cherry pie is to die for. I have plants all over the garden esp on pathways,,near doorways, windows etc. The scent carries throughout the garden esp on warm sunny...
    To add to those mentioned Cindy, here goes......:)Perennial heliotrope .....go for White Lady, White Queen or Chatsworth. The cherry pie is to die for. I have plants all over the garden esp on pathways,,near doorways, windows etc. The scent...
    To add to those mentioned Cindy, here goes......:)Perennial heliotrope .....go for White Lady, White Queen or Chatsworth. The cherry pie is to die for. I have plants all over the garden esp on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Caelius

Advice for getting rid of bindweed-like plant:

Whatever method you use, continue to monitor the area as, regardless of whether you've completely removed/ destroyed the plants, there will still be seeds in the soil."Seedlings continued to...
    Whatever method you use, continue to monitor the area as, regardless of whether you've completely removed/ destroyed the plants, there will still be seeds in the soil."Seedlings continued to emerge for over 20 years after all the adult plants were removed from an area"Plus they can germinate...
    Whatever method you use, continue to monitor the area as, regardless of whether you've completely removed/ destroyed the plants, there will still be seeds in the soil."Seedlings continued to emerge for over 20 years after all the adult plants...
    Whatever method you use, continue to monitor the area as, regardless of whether you've completely removed/ destroyed the plants, there will still be seeds in the soil."Seedlings continued to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Rage

Bad start to a new garden

My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants...
    My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants roots could be dipped when planting. Long time since I grew veg.
    My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants roots could be dipped when planting. Long time...
    My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. cindy

Plug plant advice please

I grew Nigella and poppies from seed sown in autumn some years ago and by leaving some seed heads ripen every year I have a yearly changing display of both. If I have too many or they come up in...
    I grew Nigella and poppies from seed sown in autumn some years ago and by leaving some seed heads ripen every year I have a yearly changing display of both. If I have too many or they come up in the wrong place they simply go on the compost heap.
    I grew Nigella and poppies from seed sown in autumn some years ago and by leaving some seed heads ripen every year I have a yearly changing display of both. If I have too many or they come up in the wrong place they simply go on the compost heap.
    I grew Nigella and poppies from seed sown in autumn some years ago and by leaving some seed heads ripen every year I have a yearly changing display of both. If I have too many or they come up in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Varg_Blankenship

Hello, please let me know what you think and/or any ideas for this little concrete front "garden", t

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. So i am trying to make the front of my mother's house look a bit nicer, she has been ill and hasn't been able to maintain like she used...
    Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. So i am trying to make the front of my mother's house look a bit nicer, she has been ill and hasn't been able to maintain like she used to, i will post a few pics below, i have bought some new benches for the front and me and brother...
    Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. So i am trying to make the front of my mother's house look a bit nicer, she has been ill and hasn't been able to maintain like she used to, i will post a few pics below, i have bought...
    Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. So i am trying to make the front of my mother's house look a bit nicer, she has been ill and hasn't been able to maintain like she used...
    IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0731.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. cindy

Blood fish and bone amounts

Watch the Wilko reduction thread Bargain - Wilko's Half Price Sale, aIf you have a B&M near you, they reduce to clear their gardening stuff around August Bank Hol, often with huge reductions B&M...
    Watch the Wilko reduction thread Bargain - Wilko's Half Price Sale, aIf you have a B&M near you, they reduce to clear their gardening stuff around August Bank Hol, often with huge reductions B&M Stores | B&M
    Watch the Wilko reduction thread Bargain - Wilko's Half Price Sale, aIf you have a B&M near you, they reduce to clear their gardening stuff around August Bank Hol, often with huge reductions B&M Stores | B&M
    Watch the Wilko reduction thread Bargain - Wilko's Half Price Sale, aIf you have a B&M near you, they reduce to clear their gardening stuff around August Bank Hol, often with huge reductions B&M...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. cindy

Hydrangea pruning

It depends on the variety Cindy :) Some will flower on wood made this year, others on wood made last year. However, I suggest you don’t prune it down to the ground this time. In spring remove the...
    It depends on the variety Cindy :) Some will flower on wood made this year, others on wood made last year. However, I suggest you don’t prune it down to the ground this time. In spring remove the flower heads. To keep it reasonably compact you can cut out one or two of the oldest wood but not...
    It depends on the variety Cindy :) Some will flower on wood made this year, others on wood made last year. However, I suggest you don’t prune it down to the ground this time. In spring remove the flower heads. To keep it reasonably compact you...
    It depends on the variety Cindy :) Some will flower on wood made this year, others on wood made last year. However, I suggest you don’t prune it down to the ground this time. In spring remove the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. cindy

Linum past its best

I assume you mean linum perenne, the blue flax Cindy :) Mine flowered from early spring to just a couple of weeks ago......I trimmed them back and removed all flowered stems. They are now just...
    I assume you mean linum perenne, the blue flax Cindy :) Mine flowered from early spring to just a couple of weeks ago......I trimmed them back and removed all flowered stems. They are now just starting to flower again. In a month’s time they will be in full flower and continue into the...
    I assume you mean linum perenne, the blue flax Cindy :) Mine flowered from early spring to just a couple of weeks ago......I trimmed them back and removed all flowered stems. They are now just starting to flower again. In a month’s time they will...
    I assume you mean linum perenne, the blue flax Cindy :) Mine flowered from early spring to just a couple of weeks ago......I trimmed them back and removed all flowered stems. They are now just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. cindy

Phlox variety please

Ok well Ive just learnt to do cartwheels as nothing this good EVER happens to me. In fact I have my own personal little rain cloud that follows me around. Broke my sulk and popped to the local GC...
    Ok well Ive just learnt to do cartwheels as nothing this good EVER happens to me. In fact I have my own personal little rain cloud that follows me around. Broke my sulk and popped to the local GC and guess what I found???? And at £2.69 each and already a foot tall!!! Some things are just meant...
    Ok well Ive just learnt to do cartwheels as nothing this good EVER happens to me. In fact I have my own personal little rain cloud that follows me around. Broke my sulk and popped to the local GC and guess what I found???? And at £2.69 each and...
    Ok well Ive just learnt to do cartwheels as nothing this good EVER happens to me. In fact I have my own personal little rain cloud that follows me around. Broke my sulk and popped to the local GC...
    20190714_083725.jpg 20190714_114346.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Wildcat

Need help with new project please

How about some hardy geraniums @Wildcat ? Perennial, easy to grow, low-maintenance, will tolerate a range of soil types and many have a long flowering period.Read about the RHS Top 10 hardy...
    How about some hardy geraniums @Wildcat ? Perennial, easy to grow, low-maintenance, will tolerate a range of soil types and many have a long flowering period.Read about the RHS Top 10 hardy geraniums with AGM status / RHS GardeningNick
    How about some hardy geraniums @Wildcat ? Perennial, easy to grow, low-maintenance, will tolerate a range of soil types and many have a long flowering period.Read about the RHS Top 10 hardy geraniums with AGM status / RHS GardeningNick
    How about some hardy geraniums @Wildcat ? Perennial, easy to grow, low-maintenance, will tolerate a range of soil types and many have a long flowering period.Read about the RHS Top 10 hardy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. cindy

Passiflora edulis 'Frederick'

It should be hardy down here.....I’m off to Gweek nursery next week.....they grow and sell some wonderful tender climbers. They will need frost free conditions of course Cindy :)
    It should be hardy down here.....I’m off to Gweek nursery next week.....they grow and sell some wonderful tender climbers. They will need frost free conditions of course Cindy :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jamiedgwilson

Plant identification

Sorry, no idea?Could you give us some idea of scale, location, etc?
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Eric.

Advice on a new planting scheme

Ha ha Eric, lavendar was going to be my suggestion. :) A complete lavender hedge.....mine here has been in full flower for weeks now and the scent is fabulous. Billowing blue flowers...
    Ha ha Eric, lavendar was going to be my suggestion. :) A complete lavender hedge.....mine here has been in full flower for weeks now and the scent is fabulous. Billowing blue flowers ....wonderful.Heathers and lavendar !?? I like heathers but I don’t think they do much for each other.I would...
    Ha ha Eric, lavendar was going to be my suggestion. :) A complete lavender hedge.....mine here has been in full flower for weeks now and the scent is fabulous. Billowing blue flowers ....wonderful.Heathers and lavendar !?? I like heathers but I...
    Ha ha Eric, lavendar was going to be my suggestion. :) A complete lavender hedge.....mine here has been in full flower for weeks now and the scent is fabulous. Billowing blue flowers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. cindy

Buddleia Buzz

Thanks Nick. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. cindy
    Like x 5

taken the chance on mail order

Think mail order is a bit of a lottery at the best of times as the folk who actually grow and send you the plants are often one of many sub suppliers of the company you pay.One batch of plants...
    Think mail order is a bit of a lottery at the best of times as the folk who actually grow and send you the plants are often one of many sub suppliers of the company you pay.One batch of plants may seem great, the next very poor, so do not be put off by one bad delivery.Always save the...
    Think mail order is a bit of a lottery at the best of times as the folk who actually grow and send you the plants are often one of many sub suppliers of the company you pay.One batch of plants may seem great, the next very poor, so do not be...
    Think mail order is a bit of a lottery at the best of times as the folk who actually grow and send you the plants are often one of many sub suppliers of the company you pay.One batch of plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Barders

Eco-friendly way to get rid of these weeds please?

That's the original chemical treatment from the Bible. The downside is it'll spread from the driveway to everywhere else. Better not really.
    That's the original chemical treatment from the Bible. The downside is it'll spread from the driveway to everywhere else. Better not really.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. robolist

Planting carrots now?

Not sure I would sow and grow carrots in a gh robolist :noidea: Best outside and you could still get a crop.:)
    Not sure I would sow and grow carrots in a gh robolist :noidea: Best outside and you could still get a crop.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. cindy
    Friendly x 18

THANK YOU

Cindy. Thank you so much for your very kind thoughts and wishes. Yes even now, that sad day is but like yesterday. Like you I seldom go to GW. Shame really, as there are many good folk on...
    Cindy. Thank you so much for your very kind thoughts and wishes. Yes even now, that sad day is but like yesterday. Like you I seldom go to GW. Shame really, as there are many good folk on there and so much gardening know-how. However as with this modern day media, many consider it an excuse...
    Cindy. Thank you so much for your very kind thoughts and wishes. Yes even now, that sad day is but like yesterday. Like you I seldom go to GW. Shame really, as there are many good folk on there and so much gardening know-how. However as with...
    Cindy. Thank you so much for your very kind thoughts and wishes. Yes even now, that sad day is but like yesterday. Like you I seldom go to GW. Shame really, as there are many good folk on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Jassoi

Oriental lillies not growing?

Deffo bulbils. Pot them up when you can remove them with the minimum of effort and grow of. They take about two to three years to reach blooming size. Also, if I grow lilies in pots I use deep...
    Deffo bulbils. Pot them up when you can remove them with the minimum of effort and grow of. They take about two to three years to reach blooming size. Also, if I grow lilies in pots I use deep pots so that they can be planted deeper.
    Deffo bulbils. Pot them up when you can remove them with the minimum of effort and grow of. They take about two to three years to reach blooming size. Also, if I grow lilies in pots I use deep pots so that they can be planted deeper.
    Deffo bulbils. Pot them up when you can remove them with the minimum of effort and grow of. They take about two to three years to reach blooming size. Also, if I grow lilies in pots I use deep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. cindy

Best Plant Food?

What a stickler? I cast my mind back to my horticultural exam days. Examiner and me. So Mr A. Fertilizers. Me. This is where I fail. Why? Simply because I don't use them and if pushed, I read...
    What a stickler? I cast my mind back to my horticultural exam days. Examiner and me. So Mr A. Fertilizers. Me. This is where I fail. Why? Simply because I don't use them and if pushed, I read the lable. OK Mike. I give you a pass. You have been honest and not wasted my time.Since then. ...
    What a stickler? I cast my mind back to my horticultural exam days. Examiner and me. So Mr A. Fertilizers. Me. This is where I fail. Why? Simply because I don't use them and if pushed, I read the lable. OK Mike. I give you a pass. You have...
    What a stickler? I cast my mind back to my horticultural exam days. Examiner and me. So Mr A. Fertilizers. Me. This is where I fail. Why? Simply because I don't use them and if pushed, I read...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice