NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Palmer Dunwich

Rats in compost due for greenhouse (novice composter)

That's a cracking crop, Coachman, and one to be proud of:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. AmberLucy
    Friendly x 3

Novice Gardener! Help please

I'm no plant expert AmberLucy but I did pick up on one thing you said. You mention your soil is clay, which will suggest it's light in colour and therefore cold. By darkening it, you'll warm it...
    I'm no plant expert AmberLucy but I did pick up on one thing you said. You mention your soil is clay, which will suggest it's light in colour and therefore cold. By darkening it, you'll warm it by a degree or two and encourage better germination of seeds. Light colours reflect the sun's...
    I'm no plant expert AmberLucy but I did pick up on one thing you said. You mention your soil is clay, which will suggest it's light in colour and therefore cold. By darkening it, you'll warm it by a degree or two and encourage better...
    I'm no plant expert AmberLucy but I did pick up on one thing you said. You mention your soil is clay, which will suggest it's light in colour and therefore cold. By darkening it, you'll warm it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Nick Richardson

Suggestions For Wall Plant Beginner

Sorry, I should have clarified - I’d put the snowdrops in the shade that the tree to the right, or the large shrub (forsythia/weigelia?) to the left, will provide in the summer.... I manage to...
    Sorry, I should have clarified - I’d put the snowdrops in the shade that the tree to the right, or the large shrub (forsythia/weigelia?) to the left, will provide in the summer.... I manage to grow snowdrops in my south-west facing and sloping sandy soil, though to be sure they are much slower...
    Sorry, I should have clarified - I’d put the snowdrops in the shade that the tree to the right, or the large shrub (forsythia/weigelia?) to the left, will provide in the summer.... I manage to grow snowdrops in my south-west facing and sloping...
    Sorry, I should have clarified - I’d put the snowdrops in the shade that the tree to the right, or the large shrub (forsythia/weigelia?) to the left, will provide in the summer.... I manage to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. tangham
    Like x 3

Tropical plants for UK garden.

So much depends on whether the OP is intending to create an overall 'picture' giving an impression of lush tropicality, or just to grow a few tender, architectural plants. As NigelJ said, cold...
    So much depends on whether the OP is intending to create an overall 'picture' giving an impression of lush tropicality, or just to grow a few tender, architectural plants. As NigelJ said, cold winds, harsh sun and an exposed site limit the options considerably, because most true tropicals have...
    So much depends on whether the OP is intending to create an overall 'picture' giving an impression of lush tropicality, or just to grow a few tender, architectural plants. As NigelJ said, cold winds, harsh sun and an exposed site limit the...
    So much depends on whether the OP is intending to create an overall 'picture' giving an impression of lush tropicality, or just to grow a few tender, architectural plants. As NigelJ said, cold...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Craigy16ed

Raised bed suggestions

Haha It doesn’t look that good underneath trust me
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Rikki McNeill

What to do with this??

@Rikki McNeill Down near Stansted airport - so you can fly down :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Soiled

Wisteria

Thanks guys, that's really useful info. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again.
    Thanks guys, that's really useful info. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Hehfaar

Raised planters. Sort of.

All comments taken on board, and mine wouldn't work (as is) because the 'boards' are held up by lengths of stout angle iron driven into the soil. Hehfaar's concrete would prevent that but, if she...
    All comments taken on board, and mine wouldn't work (as is) because the 'boards' are held up by lengths of stout angle iron driven into the soil. Hehfaar's concrete would prevent that but, if she goes for the brick wall idea, drainage holes will be vital to prevent waterlogging. Good luck.
    All comments taken on board, and mine wouldn't work (as is) because the 'boards' are held up by lengths of stout angle iron driven into the soil. Hehfaar's concrete would prevent that but, if she goes for the brick wall idea, drainage holes will...
    All comments taken on board, and mine wouldn't work (as is) because the 'boards' are held up by lengths of stout angle iron driven into the soil. Hehfaar's concrete would prevent that but, if she...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jade86

New allotment need help

I have an article on my PC (much too big to insert here) but it makes the valid point Jade86 that, for every hard and fast piece of advice you'll receive, someone else will do the opposite. The...
    I have an article on my PC (much too big to insert here) but it makes the valid point Jade86 that, for every hard and fast piece of advice you'll receive, someone else will do the opposite. The value of spuds for 'cleaning' ground is based on the science that, because they're 90% water, they...
    I have an article on my PC (much too big to insert here) but it makes the valid point Jade86 that, for every hard and fast piece of advice you'll receive, someone else will do the opposite. The value of spuds for 'cleaning' ground is based on...
    I have an article on my PC (much too big to insert here) but it makes the valid point Jade86 that, for every hard and fast piece of advice you'll receive, someone else will do the opposite. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Barders

Moving a Verbascum, Great Mullein?

Thank you so much Shiney, loads more on my list for the Spring now!Also thank you for the invite, that is kind of you to think of me and I am sure you're garden is wonderful. Mum and I used to...
    Thank you so much Shiney, loads more on my list for the Spring now!Also thank you for the invite, that is kind of you to think of me and I am sure you're garden is wonderful. Mum and I used to go open gardens regularly, both here and in France, where we lived for a couple of years. Sadly, she...
    Thank you so much Shiney, loads more on my list for the Spring now!Also thank you for the invite, that is kind of you to think of me and I am sure you're garden is wonderful. Mum and I used to go open gardens regularly, both here and in...
    Thank you so much Shiney, loads more on my list for the Spring now!Also thank you for the invite, that is kind of you to think of me and I am sure you're garden is wonderful. Mum and I used to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. icehockeyuk

This is probably a stupid question, but.... Are Wargrave Pink (Hardy Geranium) a weed?

Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. ...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. The final answer rests with YOU. Do you like it or hate it? Example. The cranesbill family is...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. The final answer rests with YOU. Do you like it...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. gooseygoo
    Like x 3

Not a great start

Hi @gooseygoo most people only worm their horses once a year (spring) or maybe autumn too. It's a very small amount by comparison with the mountains of grass the horses eat, and therefore the...
    Hi @gooseygoo most people only worm their horses once a year (spring) or maybe autumn too. It's a very small amount by comparison with the mountains of grass the horses eat, and therefore the amount of poo they produce! The main problem I find is that you often get weed seedlings if it didn't...
    Hi @gooseygoo most people only worm their horses once a year (spring) or maybe autumn too. It's a very small amount by comparison with the mountains of grass the horses eat, and therefore the amount of poo they produce! The main problem I find is...
    Hi @gooseygoo most people only worm their horses once a year (spring) or maybe autumn too. It's a very small amount by comparison with the mountains of grass the horses eat, and therefore the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Gn0me

Bleach instead of weed killer?

Okay, bleach it isn't. I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio. I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as...
    Okay, bleach it isn't. I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio. I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as well. Can't have that on my conscience. Thanks very much, case closed!
    Okay, bleach it isn't. I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio. I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as well. Can't have that on my conscience. Thanks...
    Okay, bleach it isn't. I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio. I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Kevin Cowans

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' issue

Hi Kevin, first put the text arrow at the beginning of the sentence you want to quote/reply, left click on the mouse and run the arrow along the sentence you want putting it it blue, then click on...
    Hi Kevin, first put the text arrow at the beginning of the sentence you want to quote/reply, left click on the mouse and run the arrow along the sentence you want putting it it blue, then click on quote or reply. I always click on "reply" as it notifies the other person who's written the...
    Hi Kevin, first put the text arrow at the beginning of the sentence you want to quote/reply, left click on the mouse and run the arrow along the sentence you want putting it it blue, then click on quote or reply. I always click on "reply" as it...
    Hi Kevin, first put the text arrow at the beginning of the sentence you want to quote/reply, left click on the mouse and run the arrow along the sentence you want putting it it blue, then click on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. frank taylor

REUSE SOIL

Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my...
    Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my peers and used JI mixtures, even mixed my own according to the age old specifications. Probably...
    Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my peers and used JI mixtures, even mixed my own...
    Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. McTavish14

plant hydrangea glam rock

Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then...
    Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then carefully extract the shrub. If it has roots growing from the bottom of the pot and these have grown into...
    Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then carefully extract the shrub. If it has roots growing...
    Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Brian Wilson

What is this berry- bearing bush? And are these strawberry plants?

In the last pic, I'd be wondering about creeping buttercup. They have similar leaves. Also looks like some ground ivy in there.
    In the last pic, I'd be wondering about creeping buttercup. They have similar leaves. Also looks like some ground ivy in there.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. OzT

What is this called please?

Thanks noisette47
    Thanks noisette47
    Thanks noisette47
    Thanks noisette47
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. wren1

Fuschia flowers too heavy for stem

What catches ones eye, usually dictates to ones pocket or purse. Some gardeners tend to go for the 'Biggest' be it veg growing....giant leeks or onions, recently tomatoes have entered the big...
    What catches ones eye, usually dictates to ones pocket or purse. Some gardeners tend to go for the 'Biggest' be it veg growing....giant leeks or onions, recently tomatoes have entered the big catagory. With fuchsias there is a wide choice. Trailing types are intended for basket planting,...
    What catches ones eye, usually dictates to ones pocket or purse. Some gardeners tend to go for the 'Biggest' be it veg growing....giant leeks or onions, recently tomatoes have entered the big catagory. With fuchsias there is a wide choice. ...
    What catches ones eye, usually dictates to ones pocket or purse. Some gardeners tend to go for the 'Biggest' be it veg growing....giant leeks or onions, recently tomatoes have entered the big...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. GrahamDuffield

Looking for ideas for a large planter !

Thanks everyone for the ideas... it's now planted up! Was a minefield at the garden centre, so taking your advices on board, I went for:Festuca Glauca Intense Blue Heuchera Sugar Plum Heuchera...
    Thanks everyone for the ideas... it's now planted up! Was a minefield at the garden centre, so taking your advices on board, I went for:Festuca Glauca Intense Blue Heuchera Sugar Plum Heuchera Georgia Plum Ophiopogon Planiscapus Nigrescens Carex Oshimensis and Choisya Arctic Gold for the...
    Thanks everyone for the ideas... it's now planted up! Was a minefield at the garden centre, so taking your advices on board, I went for:Festuca Glauca Intense Blue Heuchera Sugar Plum Heuchera Georgia Plum Ophiopogon Planiscapus...
    Thanks everyone for the ideas... it's now planted up! Was a minefield at the garden centre, so taking your advices on board, I went for:Festuca Glauca Intense Blue Heuchera Sugar Plum Heuchera...
    IMG_4277.jpg received_2468131840105058.jpeg received_738716326581106.jpeg 70904270_383562419260868_1353660295972651008_n.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice