Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. TimGrayling

tree roots

Ok, thanks for that. With a bit of luck they will be nothing to do with the tree.
    Ok, thanks for that. With a bit of luck they will be nothing to do with the tree.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. TimGrayling

ideas for maintaining space between plants

Thanks very much, I will take that advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Weedstoo

Wild flowers for driveway?

Why seeds, necessarily? Plugs can be quite affordable and can give you more control over what mix you want and even what insects you wish to attract, if any. :) Places like Naturescape are fairly...
    Why seeds, necessarily? Plugs can be quite affordable and can give you more control over what mix you want and even what insects you wish to attract, if any. :) Places like Naturescape are fairly inexpensive...British Wildflowers | Seeds, Plants & Bulbs from Naturescape+1 for thymes from me,...
    Why seeds, necessarily? Plugs can be quite affordable and can give you more control over what mix you want and even what insects you wish to attract, if any. :) Places like Naturescape are fairly inexpensive...British Wildflowers | Seeds, Plants...
    Why seeds, necessarily? Plugs can be quite affordable and can give you more control over what mix you want and even what insects you wish to attract, if any. :) Places like Naturescape are fairly...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Jkerr

Privacy trees suggestions

One Prunus lusitanica about two meters tall to start. Evergreen. Keep trimmed especially on neighbour's side so it does not invade. I had one in Buckinghamshire. Never seen one here in...
    One Prunus lusitanica about two meters tall to start. Evergreen. Keep trimmed especially on neighbour's side so it does not invade. I had one in Buckinghamshire. Never seen one here in Portugal. :heehee: Perhaps something climbing would be better to keep contained?
    One Prunus lusitanica about two meters tall to start. Evergreen. Keep trimmed especially on neighbour's side so it does not invade. I had one in Buckinghamshire. Never seen one here in Portugal. :heehee: Perhaps something climbing would be better...
    One Prunus lusitanica about two meters tall to start. Evergreen. Keep trimmed especially on neighbour's side so it does not invade. I had one in Buckinghamshire. Never seen one here in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. xf8u39

Landscaping advice needed please

I wouldn't plant conifers within 40ft of any building or mains services Michael. Their roots are shallow and will spread over that distance, possibly damaging foundations and pipework in search of...
    I wouldn't plant conifers within 40ft of any building or mains services Michael. Their roots are shallow and will spread over that distance, possibly damaging foundations and pipework in search of water. They will also sap the soil of water and nutrients making it difficult to grow other plants....
    I wouldn't plant conifers within 40ft of any building or mains services Michael. Their roots are shallow and will spread over that distance, possibly damaging foundations and pipework in search of water. They will also sap the soil of water and...
    I wouldn't plant conifers within 40ft of any building or mains services Michael. Their roots are shallow and will spread over that distance, possibly damaging foundations and pipework in search of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. McTavish14

Help identify please

There's ivy behind the big leaves. There's never been white flowers. Would they be on Russian vine? Some leaves starting to turn red. Son in negotiations with neighbours re fence panels. Hoping to...
    There's ivy behind the big leaves. There's never been white flowers. Would they be on Russian vine? Some leaves starting to turn red. Son in negotiations with neighbours re fence panels. Hoping to replace them so will probably be starting fresh next year. Thank you for your help
    There's ivy behind the big leaves. There's never been white flowers. Would they be on Russian vine? Some leaves starting to turn red. Son in negotiations with neighbours re fence panels. Hoping to replace them so will probably be starting fresh...
    There's ivy behind the big leaves. There's never been white flowers. Would they be on Russian vine? Some leaves starting to turn red. Son in negotiations with neighbours re fence panels. Hoping to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. weedaway
    Like x 4

Will they come back next year

There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with perfect results.:noidea:I trim mine all back by half, repot as all mine are in the borders, and place in my...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with perfect results.:noidea:I trim mine all back by half, repot...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. lowrider69

Orchid plant name

I bought one of these about 8 or 9 years ago and have been able to separate it into four different plants. Three of them are growing nicely but the other one is spindly and keeps falling over....
    I bought one of these about 8 or 9 years ago and have been able to separate it into four different plants. Three of them are growing nicely but the other one is spindly and keeps falling over. However, even though it had flowers when I bought it, it has never flowered since. I've done everything...
    I bought one of these about 8 or 9 years ago and have been able to separate it into four different plants. Three of them are growing nicely but the other one is spindly and keeps falling over. However, even though it had flowers when I bought it,...
    I bought one of these about 8 or 9 years ago and have been able to separate it into four different plants. Three of them are growing nicely but the other one is spindly and keeps falling over....
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. iain_j

Suggestions for my dull flat

Hi @iain_j , welcome to the forum! Plants will make all the difference :)Many houseplants will do quite well in low light. The easiest I can recommend areDevil's Ivy - mine is in the darkest...
    Hi @iain_j , welcome to the forum! Plants will make all the difference :)Many houseplants will do quite well in low light. The easiest I can recommend areDevil's Ivy - mine is in the darkest corner and is snaking all over the place. It grew a healthy stem 1m under the sofa, that's how tolerant...
    Hi @iain_j , welcome to the forum! Plants will make all the difference :)Many houseplants will do quite well in low light. The easiest I can recommend areDevil's Ivy - mine is in the darkest corner and is snaking all over the place. It grew a...
    Hi @iain_j , welcome to the forum! Plants will make all the difference :)Many houseplants will do quite well in low light. The easiest I can recommend areDevil's Ivy - mine is in the darkest...
    pothos.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fuzzybear888

Brick planter depth for camellia and hedging

All I would say is they can be not deep enough, but they can never be too deep. I'd always prefer they were open at the bottom to allow the roots to penetrate the soil below.
    All I would say is they can be not deep enough, but they can never be too deep. I'd always prefer they were open at the bottom to allow the roots to penetrate the soil below.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Wildcat

Help with Pear tree decease ?

Sorry did not knowPrevent, identify and treat pear tree pests and diseases in ... www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/pears/pest.php In autumn, as the leaves of pear trees are dying, spores...
    Sorry did not knowPrevent, identify and treat pear tree pests and diseases in ... www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/pears/pest.php In autumn, as the leaves of pear trees are dying, spores are released from the rust infection into the air. If they are to survive winter they must find...
    Sorry did not knowPrevent, identify and treat pear tree pests and diseases in ... www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/pears/pest.php In autumn, as the leaves of pear trees are dying, spores are released from the rust infection into the air....
    Sorry did not knowPrevent, identify and treat pear tree pests and diseases in ... www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/pears/pest.php In autumn, as the leaves of pear trees are dying, spores...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. dotty

potting soil

Hi,Its down to personal choice, though the peat free composts still have a long way to go to be anywhere near as good as peat. The plant producers still use masses of peat because the peat free...
    Hi,Its down to personal choice, though the peat free composts still have a long way to go to be anywhere near as good as peat. The plant producers still use masses of peat because the peat free stuff is either not good enough for their plants or too dear.If you look on the back of the...
    Hi,Its down to personal choice, though the peat free composts still have a long way to go to be anywhere near as good as peat. The plant producers still use masses of peat because the peat free stuff is either not good enough for their plants...
    Hi,Its down to personal choice, though the peat free composts still have a long way to go to be anywhere near as good as peat. The plant producers still use masses of peat because the peat free...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. xf8u39

Japanese Maple

I think they are definitely conifers ,but at that early stage it's pretty much impossible to say what kind.Personally I'd be trying to hardened them off to out door conditions, before the...
    I think they are definitely conifers ,but at that early stage it's pretty much impossible to say what kind.Personally I'd be trying to hardened them off to out door conditions, before the winter comes. I think the smaller one of the two could be planted slightly deeper, it might be a bit...
    I think they are definitely conifers ,but at that early stage it's pretty much impossible to say what kind.Personally I'd be trying to hardened them off to out door conditions, before the winter comes. I think the smaller one of the two could...
    I think they are definitely conifers ,but at that early stage it's pretty much impossible to say what kind.Personally I'd be trying to hardened them off to out door conditions, before the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. lowrider69

winter pansies & violas

yea the petunias were really nice but its a lot of deadheading all the time lol,any winter flowers that are yearly blooms?
    yea the petunias were really nice but its a lot of deadheading all the time lol,any winter flowers that are yearly blooms?
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. David Kearley

Noob looking for a new plant :)

Thanks, all noted.
    Thanks, all noted.
    Thanks, all noted.
    Thanks, all noted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Pixel1982

Perennials

Please do, I love garden progress updates, especially when it's a pollinator-friendly garden! :blue thumb:Nick
    Please do, I love garden progress updates, especially when it's a pollinator-friendly garden! :blue thumb:Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Curo2002

Struggling beginner

Looking at your image the problem is clayey soil, to solve this you need to be adding an organic humus soil conditioner plus horticultural girt, or concreting sand, this helps to break it...
    Looking at your image the problem is clayey soil, to solve this you need to be adding an organic humus soil conditioner plus horticultural girt, or concreting sand, this helps to break it down.When your soil is clayey, most people think by forking and adding some sand will cure the problem are...
    Looking at your image the problem is clayey soil, to solve this you need to be adding an organic humus soil conditioner plus horticultural girt, or concreting sand, this helps to break it down.When your soil is clayey, most people think by...
    Looking at your image the problem is clayey soil, to solve this you need to be adding an organic humus soil conditioner plus horticultural girt, or concreting sand, this helps to break it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. SianA

New Clematis : what do I do to it next.?

Will sead head tomorrow thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mitch66

Strawberries in greenhouse

Thanks for the advice, Ok I will do that, I just wondered if they would survive frosts etc. they are in the greenhouse, they are in small 3 inch pots at the moment, would you suggest re-potting...
    Thanks for the advice, Ok I will do that, I just wondered if they would survive frosts etc. they are in the greenhouse, they are in small 3 inch pots at the moment, would you suggest re-potting to larger pots then just keep them moist
    Thanks for the advice, Ok I will do that, I just wondered if they would survive frosts etc. they are in the greenhouse, they are in small 3 inch pots at the moment, would you suggest re-potting to larger pots then just keep them moist
    Thanks for the advice, Ok I will do that, I just wondered if they would survive frosts etc. they are in the greenhouse, they are in small 3 inch pots at the moment, would you suggest re-potting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lowey

Noob Gardener - Lawn Repair

Hi @Ali Naqvi , your lawn is in need of some tlc I can see quite a bit of coarse grass in it which is upto you if it bothers you are not .1. No scarifying or dethatching at the moment this job...
    Hi @Ali Naqvi , your lawn is in need of some tlc I can see quite a bit of coarse grass in it which is upto you if it bothers you are not .1. No scarifying or dethatching at the moment this job is done Spring or September / October , it will do to much damage to the lawn at this time of...
    Hi @Ali Naqvi , your lawn is in need of some tlc I can see quite a bit of coarse grass in it which is upto you if it bothers you are not .1. No scarifying or dethatching at the moment this job is done Spring or September / October , it will do...
    Hi @Ali Naqvi , your lawn is in need of some tlc I can see quite a bit of coarse grass in it which is upto you if it bothers you are not .1. No scarifying or dethatching at the moment this job...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice