NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Jade86

New allotment need help

Carry on as you are but don't cover it just yet, you cover it in early spring if your not ready to plant. Leaving it uncovered allows the frost to get at it which will help to break your soil down...
    Carry on as you are but don't cover it just yet, you cover it in early spring if your not ready to plant. Leaving it uncovered allows the frost to get at it which will help to break your soil down further. Even though you are on clay, it does not look like your on heavy clay, your soil looks...
    Carry on as you are but don't cover it just yet, you cover it in early spring if your not ready to plant. Leaving it uncovered allows the frost to get at it which will help to break your soil down further. Even though you are on clay, it does not...
    Carry on as you are but don't cover it just yet, you cover it in early spring if your not ready to plant. Leaving it uncovered allows the frost to get at it which will help to break your soil down...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. icehockeyuk

This is probably a stupid question, but.... Are Wargrave Pink (Hardy Geranium) a weed?

Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. ...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. The final answer rests with YOU. Do you like it or hate it? Example. The cranesbill family is...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. The final answer rests with YOU. Do you like it...
    Friends. The subject here is a member of the cransebill family. As with all plants, over the years plants have been enjoyed or hated. Botanists and scientists have compiled volumes about them. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. gooseygoo
    Like x 3

Not a great start

Hi @gooseygoo most people only worm their horses once a year (spring) or maybe autumn too. It's a very small amount by comparison with the mountains of grass the horses eat, and therefore the...
    Hi @gooseygoo most people only worm their horses once a year (spring) or maybe autumn too. It's a very small amount by comparison with the mountains of grass the horses eat, and therefore the amount of poo they produce! The main problem I find is that you often get weed seedlings if it didn't...
    Hi @gooseygoo most people only worm their horses once a year (spring) or maybe autumn too. It's a very small amount by comparison with the mountains of grass the horses eat, and therefore the amount of poo they produce! The main problem I find is...
    Hi @gooseygoo most people only worm their horses once a year (spring) or maybe autumn too. It's a very small amount by comparison with the mountains of grass the horses eat, and therefore the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Gn0me

Bleach instead of weed killer?

Okay, bleach it isn't. I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio. I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as...
    Okay, bleach it isn't. I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio. I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as well. Can't have that on my conscience. Thanks very much, case closed!
    Okay, bleach it isn't. I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio. I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as well. Can't have that on my conscience. Thanks...
    Okay, bleach it isn't. I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio. I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Kevin Cowans

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' issue

Hi Kevin, first put the text arrow at the beginning of the sentence you want to quote/reply, left click on the mouse and run the arrow along the sentence you want putting it it blue, then click on...
    Hi Kevin, first put the text arrow at the beginning of the sentence you want to quote/reply, left click on the mouse and run the arrow along the sentence you want putting it it blue, then click on quote or reply. I always click on "reply" as it notifies the other person who's written the...
    Hi Kevin, first put the text arrow at the beginning of the sentence you want to quote/reply, left click on the mouse and run the arrow along the sentence you want putting it it blue, then click on quote or reply. I always click on "reply" as it...
    Hi Kevin, first put the text arrow at the beginning of the sentence you want to quote/reply, left click on the mouse and run the arrow along the sentence you want putting it it blue, then click on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. frank taylor

REUSE SOIL

Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my...
    Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my peers and used JI mixtures, even mixed my own according to the age old specifications. Probably...
    Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my peers and used JI mixtures, even mixed my own...
    Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. McTavish14

plant hydrangea glam rock

Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then...
    Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then carefully extract the shrub. If it has roots growing from the bottom of the pot and these have grown into...
    Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then carefully extract the shrub. If it has roots growing...
    Because the pot is narrower at the bottom in the picture, I would use a knife, cut straight down and carefully lift it. Or, depending on the weight, I might put the pot upside down and then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Brian Wilson

What is this berry- bearing bush? And are these strawberry plants?

In the last pic, I'd be wondering about creeping buttercup. They have similar leaves. Also looks like some ground ivy in there.
    In the last pic, I'd be wondering about creeping buttercup. They have similar leaves. Also looks like some ground ivy in there.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. OzT

What is this called please?

Thanks noisette47
    Thanks noisette47
    Thanks noisette47
    Thanks noisette47
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wren1

Fuschia flowers too heavy for stem

What catches ones eye, usually dictates to ones pocket or purse. Some gardeners tend to go for the 'Biggest' be it veg growing....giant leeks or onions, recently tomatoes have entered the big...
    What catches ones eye, usually dictates to ones pocket or purse. Some gardeners tend to go for the 'Biggest' be it veg growing....giant leeks or onions, recently tomatoes have entered the big catagory. With fuchsias there is a wide choice. Trailing types are intended for basket planting,...
    What catches ones eye, usually dictates to ones pocket or purse. Some gardeners tend to go for the 'Biggest' be it veg growing....giant leeks or onions, recently tomatoes have entered the big catagory. With fuchsias there is a wide choice. ...
    What catches ones eye, usually dictates to ones pocket or purse. Some gardeners tend to go for the 'Biggest' be it veg growing....giant leeks or onions, recently tomatoes have entered the big...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. GrahamDuffield

Looking for ideas for a large planter !

Thanks everyone for the ideas... it's now planted up! Was a minefield at the garden centre, so taking your advices on board, I went for:Festuca Glauca Intense Blue Heuchera Sugar Plum Heuchera...
    Thanks everyone for the ideas... it's now planted up! Was a minefield at the garden centre, so taking your advices on board, I went for:Festuca Glauca Intense Blue Heuchera Sugar Plum Heuchera Georgia Plum Ophiopogon Planiscapus Nigrescens Carex Oshimensis and Choisya Arctic Gold for the...
    Thanks everyone for the ideas... it's now planted up! Was a minefield at the garden centre, so taking your advices on board, I went for:Festuca Glauca Intense Blue Heuchera Sugar Plum Heuchera Georgia Plum Ophiopogon Planiscapus...
    Thanks everyone for the ideas... it's now planted up! Was a minefield at the garden centre, so taking your advices on board, I went for:Festuca Glauca Intense Blue Heuchera Sugar Plum Heuchera...
    IMG_4277.jpg received_2468131840105058.jpeg received_738716326581106.jpeg 70904270_383562419260868_1353660295972651008_n.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Barders

Box Hedges - Am I killing them with kindness or something worse please?

Thank you again :ThankYou:, apart from giving them their shower tomorrow, I will stop watering them now and give the poor things a chance :biggrin:
    Thank you again :ThankYou:, apart from giving them their shower tomorrow, I will stop watering them now and give the poor things a chance :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. icehockeyuk

Any tips for reviving Geranium endressii?

My commiserations :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Airwalk

How to rescue 10 Week Old Turf Dying A Slow Death....

Ok, will follow this course of action and see how things go, thanks for all your help and everyone else's input. I will report back at some point once I have given things time to develop. Ta. :blue thumb:
    Ok, will follow this course of action and see how things go, thanks for all your help and everyone else's input. I will report back at some point once I have given things time to develop. Ta. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. LittleEd

Dead lawn. Best way forward?

New gardens are always exciting. How long have you had your new garden? Can you post some pictures. If it’s an overgrown garden that was once cultivated there could be some treasures lurking...
    New gardens are always exciting. How long have you had your new garden? Can you post some pictures. If it’s an overgrown garden that was once cultivated there could be some treasures lurking around unnoticed so far. For this reason I would not “kill it all off”. You could be inadvertently...
    New gardens are always exciting. How long have you had your new garden? Can you post some pictures. If it’s an overgrown garden that was once cultivated there could be some treasures lurking around unnoticed so far. For this reason I would not...
    New gardens are always exciting. How long have you had your new garden? Can you post some pictures. If it’s an overgrown garden that was once cultivated there could be some treasures lurking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ThePlantAssassin

Mail order woes. Money taken but no plants please help

@Spruce I've used Chris Bowers several times, most recently this year for bare rooted fruit trees. Always found them excellent and a fantastic selection of varieties. Would certainly recommend them.
    @Spruce I've used Chris Bowers several times, most recently this year for bare rooted fruit trees. Always found them excellent and a fantastic selection of varieties. Would certainly recommend them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ThePlantAssassin

Over Wintering Watering??

Im going to leave my Delphiniums in pots. They have all started to show new growth. I was wondering though should I cut this off as the frosts approach or leave it on to die over winter?
    Im going to leave my Delphiniums in pots. They have all started to show new growth. I was wondering though should I cut this off as the frosts approach or leave it on to die over winter?
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. KimG

Advice on an evergreen addition to my garden, please.

Looks perfect there Kim :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Paul Raybould
    Like x 4

New to the world of gardening

I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with...
    I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with feeding after that so happy considering that last year it was just mudBefore treatmentAfter 7 days
    I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with feeding after that so happy considering that last...
    I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with...
    E2FF735F-78C8-4FE9-BD60-D6772938D431.jpeg 47B55B84-82F5-4665-893C-83E6DFBE8674.jpeg 20180911_174545.jpg C595E955-3BAC-4402-9C3B-1413067CE228.jpeg 4A1C062D-A17D-4A59-B88C-D3F2D1FFCAD6.jpeg 3E76567D-7AF9-4159-A169-7E499750E43F.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. s1m0nw

Mushy grass in back garden help

Does anyone have any tips on how I could improve drainage?
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice