NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Riley CCM

High humidity house

You don’t say where you are in the world, maybe you’re not in the uk? Give us a bit more information and that would help us to help you . :)
    You don’t say where you are in the world, maybe you’re not in the uk? Give us a bit more information and that would help us to help you . :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Lyds

Lemon plant is dying

Citrus need a special feed and a free draining soil based compost.. I use JohnInnes #3 for a fully grown plant.. I would use the seed and cutting one to start with, with yours to establish a good...
    Citrus need a special feed and a free draining soil based compost.. I use JohnInnes #3 for a fully grown plant.. I would use the seed and cutting one to start with, with yours to establish a good root system... Also it is in a very big pot for one so small so I imagine the roots are cold too.....
    Citrus need a special feed and a free draining soil based compost.. I use JohnInnes #3 for a fully grown plant.. I would use the seed and cutting one to start with, with yours to establish a good root system... Also it is in a very big pot for...
    Citrus need a special feed and a free draining soil based compost.. I use JohnInnes #3 for a fully grown plant.. I would use the seed and cutting one to start with, with yours to establish a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wren1

Leggy aloe vera

Thank you. I'll try that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Telemacus

Shed Grow Lights

There are different zone ratings depending on the country code you are using. I am in Zone 5B - as an example the temperature this morning is 3F or -16C (decidedly warmer than the last few...
    There are different zone ratings depending on the country code you are using. I am in Zone 5B - as an example the temperature this morning is 3F or -16C (decidedly warmer than the last few months) and we will be experiencing that through til at least the end of the week. On the map below, I am...
    There are different zone ratings depending on the country code you are using. I am in Zone 5B - as an example the temperature this morning is 3F or -16C (decidedly warmer than the last few months) and we will be experiencing that through til at...
    There are different zone ratings depending on the country code you are using. I am in Zone 5B - as an example the temperature this morning is 3F or -16C (decidedly warmer than the last few...
    upload_2019-3-5_6-39-34.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. talksr

Problem with my garden pots!

Ha ha Shiney....nice try:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Markyboy

Zebra Grass ( Miscanthus)

We've done all ours. :dbgrtmb: Have good look first to see whether the new shoots are visible and then cut just above them. We always do ours early as there's so much that we have to use a hedge...
    We've done all ours. :dbgrtmb: Have good look first to see whether the new shoots are visible and then cut just above them. We always do ours early as there's so much that we have to use a hedge cutter.Some of the less dense grasses I snap the stems off instead of cutting.
    We've done all ours. :dbgrtmb: Have good look first to see whether the new shoots are visible and then cut just above them. We always do ours early as there's so much that we have to use a hedge cutter.Some of the less dense grasses I snap the stems...
    We've done all ours. :dbgrtmb: Have good look first to see whether the new shoots are visible and then cut just above them. We always do ours early as there's so much that we have to use a hedge...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Brian McDonagh

Clay Soil Garden Drainage

Hi,Not meaning to put a dampener on your plans, but a soakaway is not a simple as it sounds. The ground its in has to be able to soak away the water , but if its all clay its going nowhere. Even...
    Hi,Not meaning to put a dampener on your plans, but a soakaway is not a simple as it sounds. The ground its in has to be able to soak away the water , but if its all clay its going nowhere. Even if it could, you need a very large hole to cope with the area you are covering plus what comes...
    Hi,Not meaning to put a dampener on your plans, but a soakaway is not a simple as it sounds. The ground its in has to be able to soak away the water , but if its all clay its going nowhere. Even if it could, you need a very large hole to cope...
    Hi,Not meaning to put a dampener on your plans, but a soakaway is not a simple as it sounds. The ground its in has to be able to soak away the water , but if its all clay its going nowhere. Even...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Cedarhouse

Can anyone tell me what these trees and bushes are?

As for plants growing beneath them I would suggest Pachysandra, they are low growing, evergreen plants with white flowers. They good groundcover plants also.
    As for plants growing beneath them I would suggest Pachysandra, they are low growing, evergreen plants with white flowers. They good groundcover plants also.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. McTavish14

climber to grow in planter

Get a few climbing Fuchsias or a couple of Jasmines.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Soiled

Wisteria

Thanks for the kind words. To be honest we've not had too much luck with wisterias. It's difficult to remember dates as the five we have are of various ages.This is one in about 2000, that we...
    Thanks for the kind words. To be honest we've not had too much luck with wisterias. It's difficult to remember dates as the five we have are of various ages.This is one in about 2000, that we bought in the mid eighties. I grew it along the pergola I built for it on the back of the house....
    Thanks for the kind words. To be honest we've not had too much luck with wisterias. It's difficult to remember dates as the five we have are of various ages.This is one in about 2000, that we bought in the mid eighties. I grew it along the ...
    Thanks for the kind words. To be honest we've not had too much luck with wisterias. It's difficult to remember dates as the five we have are of various ages.This is one in about 2000, that we...
    P1010070.JPG P1010544.JPG P1010059.JPG P1010713.JPG Wisteria 2.JPG File0009.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jonw82

Seedlings mutating and dying

Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry...
    Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry out very quickly on a sunny window sill. Then if they are over watered it's just as bad as drying...
    Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry out very quickly on a sunny window sill. Then if...
    Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. NigelJ

Young Tayberry ~ leaves turning dull green and purple

Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Cedarhouse

I have a new house and I don’t know how to look after my garden!!

Also I used a compass standing at the front of my house and it faces West so any help for a west facing garden would be brill :)
    Also I used a compass standing at the front of my house and it faces West so any help for a west facing garden would be brill :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Mirishgardener

landscaping advice needed

I'm not the best to advise on shade loving plants as we don't have a deal of shade in our garden. Hostas work well in the bit of shade that we do have.To hide the tanks, something evergreen...
    I'm not the best to advise on shade loving plants as we don't have a deal of shade in our garden. Hostas work well in the bit of shade that we do have.To hide the tanks, something evergreen that shields the area. Laurel hedge ? It covers well and is easily managed to sensible heightsIf...
    I'm not the best to advise on shade loving plants as we don't have a deal of shade in our garden. Hostas work well in the bit of shade that we do have.To hide the tanks, something evergreen that shields the area. Laurel hedge ? It covers...
    I'm not the best to advise on shade loving plants as we don't have a deal of shade in our garden. Hostas work well in the bit of shade that we do have.To hide the tanks, something evergreen...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Neal C

Raised Bed Question

Sounds like a good start, but make sure you have a good look at this; as screened topsoil can be very variable. Mypex is one brand of permeable membrane used. My cousin had some cannabis growing...
    Sounds like a good start, but make sure you have a good look at this; as screened topsoil can be very variable. Mypex is one brand of permeable membrane used. My cousin had some cannabis growing in her back garden and the result was a permanently stoned rabbit (imagine Dylan off the Magic...
    Sounds like a good start, but make sure you have a good look at this; as screened topsoil can be very variable. Mypex is one brand of permeable membrane used. My cousin had some cannabis growing in her back garden and the result was a permanently...
    Sounds like a good start, but make sure you have a good look at this; as screened topsoil can be very variable. Mypex is one brand of permeable membrane used. My cousin had some cannabis growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Spruce
    Like x 9

Been away but all back now ......

sort of babysit now and again :snooze:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Idris

Raised bed - what to plant

Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and...
    Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and rustle nicely in the breeze making their own bold statements :SUNsmile:
    Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and rustle nicely in the breeze making their own bold...
    Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. David Garside

Preparing for lawn.

Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety. Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long...
    Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety. Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects and it’s the leaching into the water system that’s a problem or a spill. Most will...
    Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety. Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects and it’s the leaching into the water...
    Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety. Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. not_a_gardener

Help, please!

All good advice.Make a long term plan.After clearing the rubbish. Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on...
    All good advice.Make a long term plan.After clearing the rubbish. Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on with it.
    All good advice.Make a long term plan.After clearing the rubbish. Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on with it.
    All good advice.Make a long term plan.After clearing the rubbish. Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Barders

Planting bedding plants in December?

Thanks for the images of the stones Scrungee, that's helpful. :thumbsup:What a great photo of the Fox John! I had a Golden Retriever years ago and she could detect Fox poo at a hundred yards and roll in...
    Thanks for the images of the stones Scrungee, that's helpful. :thumbsup:What a great photo of the Fox John! I had a Golden Retriever years ago and she could detect Fox poo at a hundred yards and roll in it :eeew:Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Gardening for 2019 :star:
    Thanks for the images of the stones Scrungee, that's helpful. :thumbsup:What a great photo of the Fox John! I had a Golden Retriever years ago and she could detect Fox poo at a hundred yards and roll in it :eeew:Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and...
    Thanks for the images of the stones Scrungee, that's helpful. :thumbsup:What a great photo of the Fox John! I had a Golden Retriever years ago and she could detect Fox poo at a hundred yards and roll in...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice