NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Brian McDonagh

Clay Soil Garden Drainage

Hi @Brian McDonagh, welcome!I'm following this with interest as I also have heavy clay soil and bad back. Not a great combination! :sad: Here's my moan with plenty of very helpful advise from the...
    Hi @Brian McDonagh, welcome!I'm following this with interest as I also have heavy clay soil and bad back. Not a great combination! :sad: Here's my moan with plenty of very helpful advise from the forum.A soakaway is a good idea. I dug a small circular gravel bed around the bird feeder, and it...
    Hi @Brian McDonagh, welcome!I'm following this with interest as I also have heavy clay soil and bad back. Not a great combination! :sad: Here's my moan with plenty of very helpful advise from the forum.A soakaway is a good idea. I dug a small...
    Hi @Brian McDonagh, welcome!I'm following this with interest as I also have heavy clay soil and bad back. Not a great combination! :sad: Here's my moan with plenty of very helpful advise from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. McTavish14

climber to grow in planter

We've three montana clematis, two in 12" cubed plastic pots on our side drive growing up a fence and one in an 18" ceramic pot next to our front door,I can only find this photo from a few...
    We've three montana clematis, two in 12" cubed plastic pots on our side drive growing up a fence and one in an 18" ceramic pot next to our front door,I can only find this photo from a few years ago of the one at the front of the house, the first year we had it. Now it's over the top of the...
    We've three montana clematis, two in 12" cubed plastic pots on our side drive growing up a fence and one in an 18" ceramic pot next to our front door,I can only find this photo from a few years ago of the one at the front of the house, the ...
    We've three montana clematis, two in 12" cubed plastic pots on our side drive growing up a fence and one in an 18" ceramic pot next to our front door,I can only find this photo from a few...
    20180523_080644.jpg P1060519.JPG P1050816.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Cedarhouse

Can anyone tell me what these trees and bushes are?

4 does look like Beech to me too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Soiled

Wisteria

Thanks for the kind words. To be honest we've not had too much luck with wisterias. It's difficult to remember dates as the five we have are of various ages.This is one in about 2000, that we...
    Thanks for the kind words. To be honest we've not had too much luck with wisterias. It's difficult to remember dates as the five we have are of various ages.This is one in about 2000, that we bought in the mid eighties. I grew it along the pergola I built for it on the back of the house....
    Thanks for the kind words. To be honest we've not had too much luck with wisterias. It's difficult to remember dates as the five we have are of various ages.This is one in about 2000, that we bought in the mid eighties. I grew it along the ...
    Thanks for the kind words. To be honest we've not had too much luck with wisterias. It's difficult to remember dates as the five we have are of various ages.This is one in about 2000, that we...
    P1010070.JPG P1010544.JPG P1010059.JPG P1010713.JPG Wisteria 2.JPG File0009.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Jonw82

Seedlings mutating and dying

Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry...
    Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry out very quickly on a sunny window sill. Then if they are over watered it's just as bad as drying...
    Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry out very quickly on a sunny window sill. Then if...
    Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NigelJ

Young Tayberry ~ leaves turning dull green and purple

Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Cedarhouse

I have a new house and I don’t know how to look after my garden!!

Also I used a compass standing at the front of my house and it faces West so any help for a west facing garden would be brill :)
    Also I used a compass standing at the front of my house and it faces West so any help for a west facing garden would be brill :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Mirishgardener

landscaping advice needed

I'm not the best to advise on shade loving plants as we don't have a deal of shade in our garden. Hostas work well in the bit of shade that we do have.To hide the tanks, something evergreen...
    I'm not the best to advise on shade loving plants as we don't have a deal of shade in our garden. Hostas work well in the bit of shade that we do have.To hide the tanks, something evergreen that shields the area. Laurel hedge ? It covers well and is easily managed to sensible heightsIf...
    I'm not the best to advise on shade loving plants as we don't have a deal of shade in our garden. Hostas work well in the bit of shade that we do have.To hide the tanks, something evergreen that shields the area. Laurel hedge ? It covers...
    I'm not the best to advise on shade loving plants as we don't have a deal of shade in our garden. Hostas work well in the bit of shade that we do have.To hide the tanks, something evergreen...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Neal C

Raised Bed Question

Sounds like a good start, but make sure you have a good look at this; as screened topsoil can be very variable. Mypex is one brand of permeable membrane used. My cousin had some cannabis growing...
    Sounds like a good start, but make sure you have a good look at this; as screened topsoil can be very variable. Mypex is one brand of permeable membrane used. My cousin had some cannabis growing in her back garden and the result was a permanently stoned rabbit (imagine Dylan off the Magic...
    Sounds like a good start, but make sure you have a good look at this; as screened topsoil can be very variable. Mypex is one brand of permeable membrane used. My cousin had some cannabis growing in her back garden and the result was a permanently...
    Sounds like a good start, but make sure you have a good look at this; as screened topsoil can be very variable. Mypex is one brand of permeable membrane used. My cousin had some cannabis growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Spruce
    Like x 9

Been away but all back now ......

sort of babysit now and again :snooze:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Idris

Raised bed - what to plant

Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and...
    Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and rustle nicely in the breeze making their own bold statements :SUNsmile:
    Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and rustle nicely in the breeze making their own bold...
    Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. David Garside

Preparing for lawn.

Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety. Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long...
    Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety. Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects and it’s the leaching into the water system that’s a problem or a spill. Most will...
    Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety. Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects and it’s the leaching into the water...
    Most herbicides if not all should have a information that shows side effects or that relates to heath and safety. Here you will find the information but most are toxic to aquatic life with long...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. not_a_gardener

Help, please!

All good advice.Make a long term plan.After clearing the rubbish. Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on...
    All good advice.Make a long term plan.After clearing the rubbish. Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on with it.
    All good advice.Make a long term plan.After clearing the rubbish. Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on with it.
    All good advice.Make a long term plan.After clearing the rubbish. Start with the bit nearest the house, You'll be ale to see your efforts from the window, which will encourage you to carry on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Barders

Planting bedding plants in December?

Thanks for the images of the stones Scrungee, that's helpful. :thumbsup:What a great photo of the Fox John! I had a Golden Retriever years ago and she could detect Fox poo at a hundred yards and roll in...
    Thanks for the images of the stones Scrungee, that's helpful. :thumbsup:What a great photo of the Fox John! I had a Golden Retriever years ago and she could detect Fox poo at a hundred yards and roll in it :eeew:Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Gardening for 2019 :star:
    Thanks for the images of the stones Scrungee, that's helpful. :thumbsup:What a great photo of the Fox John! I had a Golden Retriever years ago and she could detect Fox poo at a hundred yards and roll in it :eeew:Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and...
    Thanks for the images of the stones Scrungee, that's helpful. :thumbsup:What a great photo of the Fox John! I had a Golden Retriever years ago and she could detect Fox poo at a hundred yards and roll in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kathrynmichaud
    Like x 3

Ideas for small shaded courtyard

:cheers: and :cheers: and :cheers:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Flumpy
    Friendly x 6

I’m new here

:)Awe thanks Owl I will do that
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Carlqua

Non-reproductive Seeds?

Well, like they say, anybody who can claim to remember the '60s wasn't actually there! :spinning::biggrin:
    Well, like they say, anybody who can claim to remember the '60s wasn't actually there! :spinning::biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Outlander

Planting a Juneberry tree in a container.

Thanks @Tetters tht is certainly a lovely looking tree. I'm having a think.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. asl9791

New to gardening

Considering your lawn has been scarified it doesn't look in bad condition. I would be inclined to leave it over this winter and use a weed and feed next Spring to encourage the grass to grow and...
    Considering your lawn has been scarified it doesn't look in bad condition. I would be inclined to leave it over this winter and use a weed and feed next Spring to encourage the grass to grow and thicken. With the moss gone that should be enough, but if not you could top dress and seed it if it...
    Considering your lawn has been scarified it doesn't look in bad condition. I would be inclined to leave it over this winter and use a weed and feed next Spring to encourage the grass to grow and thicken. With the moss gone that should be enough,...
    Considering your lawn has been scarified it doesn't look in bad condition. I would be inclined to leave it over this winter and use a weed and feed next Spring to encourage the grass to grow and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. wren1

Id help please!

:sign0016: to the forum @Steve Ratcliffe. just read this thread, and agree with you. Your plant is far more likely to be Saponaria @wren1 ...... well spotted Steve :blue thumb:
    :sign0016: to the forum @Steve Ratcliffe. just read this thread, and agree with you. Your plant is far more likely to be Saponaria @wren1 ...... well spotted Steve :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice