NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Weedstoo

Foxglove plugs

Neem oil is very popular in America and has a number of uses in the garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Weedstoo

Creating a "woodland meadow" in garden?

@Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help if you filled in your location on the Personal Details page as that gives people at least a general...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help if you filled in your location on the Personal...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. EmFlu

New Gardener - Overwhelmed! (Photos)

I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts...
    I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts looking so hard for a scientific explanation that they overlook the obvious. The kind of person that...
    I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts looking so hard for a scientific explanation that...
    I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Weedstoo

Ivy for fence?

I find Ivy is all right if you can keep it in trim, I have it in several places, but it does tend to grow rather quickly and can get out of hand if you don't keep an eye on it.
    I find Ivy is all right if you can keep it in trim, I have it in several places, but it does tend to grow rather quickly and can get out of hand if you don't keep an eye on it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Tara Jane

Seed sowing for beginners

Grandpa Ott Morning Glory. The flowers are definitely smaller than Heavenly Blue, but the deep purple colour is nice.
    Grandpa Ott Morning Glory. The flowers are definitely smaller than Heavenly Blue, but the deep purple colour is nice.
    3E5C5AC0-166C-4287-8074-CFB791850E00.jpeg EA6BC42D-015C-4207-8208-094F5B165806.jpeg 1BA9ABF9-E973-4705-82FA-0B0F97254494.jpeg IMG_20211030_170413.jpg IMG_20211001_170003_hdr.jpg IMG_20211217_154539_hdr.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Matthew Rosen-Marsh

What to do with old soil

I just tip mine on top of the borders. If space is an issue just be aware that adding kitchen remains will eventually just give you greater bulk to get rid of.
    I just tip mine on top of the borders. If space is an issue just be aware that adding kitchen remains will eventually just give you greater bulk to get rid of.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Jazzbal007

Identification of hedges/plants and how to tidy

This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next...
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next weekend and get going on it.Thanks again all
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next weekend and get going on it.Thanks again all
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jordon

New Gardener - New House - Advice Needed

Hello and welcome to GC forums @Jordon
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. landimad

Holiday

In Yorkshire there is a saying.If er tha does ought for nought, alas do it for tha sen.Or in modern English, if ever you do anything for nothing, always do it for yourself.
    In Yorkshire there is a saying.If er tha does ought for nought, alas do it for tha sen.Or in modern English, if ever you do anything for nothing, always do it for yourself.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. EmilyT01

Creating a garden from scratch... Where to start?!

I made a passible lawn from an area like that just by constant mowing, a treatment with lawn weedkiller once it began to look passible and then cut beds out to my requirements.
    I made a passible lawn from an area like that just by constant mowing, a treatment with lawn weedkiller once it began to look passible and then cut beds out to my requirements.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. HackettLad

How do I know I’m overwatering?

I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the spent flower spikes can remain for many months, looking greyer, but still lovely (especially with an...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the spent flower spikes can remain for many months,...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. hi2u_uk

Peach tree in container growing- what to plant it in ?

This is a dwarf type so I'm not so sure how big it will grow but i will be amazed if it fruits in this climate. Im worriedaboutit being blown down which is why i want to top up the container. I...
    This is a dwarf type so I'm not so sure how big it will grow but i will be amazed if it fruits in this climate. Im worriedaboutit being blown down which is why i want to top up the container. I used westands container and basket compost. I guess if people have been using john innes for near...
    This is a dwarf type so I'm not so sure how big it will grow but i will be amazed if it fruits in this climate. Im worriedaboutit being blown down which is why i want to top up the container. I used westands container and basket compost. I...
    This is a dwarf type so I'm not so sure how big it will grow but i will be amazed if it fruits in this climate. Im worriedaboutit being blown down which is why i want to top up the container. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. doubleudee

Can I use the ash left over from the barbie?

I used to put all barbeque ash in the compost bin. There was enough creepy crawlies going through that stuff to avoid a mass extinction event. Not so much nowadays.....have a gas bbq
    I used to put all barbeque ash in the compost bin. There was enough creepy crawlies going through that stuff to avoid a mass extinction event. Not so much nowadays.....have a gas bbq
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Longarmedmonkey

New home, many opportunities

Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to...
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to start with.Mowing regularly will control and eliminate many lawn weeds too.
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to start with.Mowing regularly will control and...
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Delmo

Soaker hose /drip watering. How do you renew compost.

Hi.Thanks for your responseAs i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I...
    Hi.Thanks for your responseAs i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I currently have a small amount of raised beds. 7 4x4ft beds that hold around 600l compost each. I work away...
    Hi.Thanks for your responseAs i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I currently have a small amount of raised beds. 7 4x4ft...
    Hi.Thanks for your responseAs i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. CostasK

Plants for pots in middle of garden

Hi everyone,It's been a while but I suddenly remembered this discussion and thought I would post an update.Some really good recommendations had been made and I nearly included some of them...
    Hi everyone,It's been a while but I suddenly remembered this discussion and thought I would post an update.Some really good recommendations had been made and I nearly included some of them (e.g. vinca minor, until my partner vetoed it). In the end I went for flowering quinces ("Pink Storm")...
    Hi everyone,It's been a while but I suddenly remembered this discussion and thought I would post an update.Some really good recommendations had been made and I nearly included some of them (e.g. vinca minor, until my partner vetoed it). In...
    Hi everyone,It's been a while but I suddenly remembered this discussion and thought I would post an update.Some really good recommendations had been made and I nearly included some of them...
    garden.jpg plant pots 2.jpg garden1.jpg garden2.jpg garden3.jpg garden4.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. GaGa73

Soil going green

Just my thoughts but I hate using grit on the surface of posts for the one reason that you can't see the compost, so if it's wet or dry under the grit you don't really know.
    Just my thoughts but I hate using grit on the surface of posts for the one reason that you can't see the compost, so if it's wet or dry under the grit you don't really know.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. GaGa73

What size pot for pepper plants?

That looks perfect, I would pot on gradually as you are doing. Putting any plant into too big a pot can slow it down.
    That looks perfect, I would pot on gradually as you are doing. Putting any plant into too big a pot can slow it down.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. GaGa73

Seagull droppings in water butt

I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater carefully though and aim the water at the soil/base of plants, especially with salad crops. A bit of...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater carefully though and aim the water at the soil/base of...
    I use water from a butt caught off a roof all the time, even seedlings and young plants. I think rain water is safer/better/more natural than chlorinated from the mains. I do use rainwater...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Niall

Sunflower help!

Give it a good soak & feed.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice