NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. CrawfEE

Climber for a Northern Wall?

With French drains I would not plant anything vigorous (including Clematis Montana which is ok on a north wall otherwise) as it will eventually block the drains. The same applies if your old...
    With French drains I would not plant anything vigorous (including Clematis Montana which is ok on a north wall otherwise) as it will eventually block the drains. The same applies if your old cottage has lime mortar in the brickwork; the roots will find a way in.Honeysuckle or a not too...
    With French drains I would not plant anything vigorous (including Clematis Montana which is ok on a north wall otherwise) as it will eventually block the drains. The same applies if your old cottage has lime mortar in the brickwork; the roots...
    With French drains I would not plant anything vigorous (including Clematis Montana which is ok on a north wall otherwise) as it will eventually block the drains. The same applies if your old...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Khaled

lemon seedling help/marks on leaves

Forgot to include that I water the seedlings well, and use Miracle Gro Potting Mix
    Forgot to include that I water the seedlings well, and use Miracle Gro Potting Mix
    1231.jpg 1232.jpg 1231.jpg 1232.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Nickee

New House, First Garden, Where to Start?

@Nickee Ask really nicely and some people might send you some... I would, but in honesty in the last house move I seem to have lost them :mad: (How do you lose 3 big sweeety tins?!)Also remember you...
    @Nickee Ask really nicely and some people might send you some... I would, but in honesty in the last house move I seem to have lost them :mad: (How do you lose 3 big sweeety tins?!)Also remember you don't have to do it all at once. Possibly better to tackle smaller projects and link them together...
    @Nickee Ask really nicely and some people might send you some... I would, but in honesty in the last house move I seem to have lost them :mad: (How do you lose 3 big sweeety tins?!)Also remember you don't have to do it all at once. Possibly better...
    @Nickee Ask really nicely and some people might send you some... I would, but in honesty in the last house move I seem to have lost them :mad: (How do you lose 3 big sweeety tins?!)Also remember you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. frank taylor

repotting tomatos

Agree with the others. When you think they are ready and you can see some indication of root at the base - usually trying to escape through the drainage holes! - I tip them out to have a look....
    Agree with the others. When you think they are ready and you can see some indication of root at the base - usually trying to escape through the drainage holes! - I tip them out to have a look. Important not to disturb them in this process, which is probably much easier explained with a video,...
    Agree with the others. When you think they are ready and you can see some indication of root at the base - usually trying to escape through the drainage holes! - I tip them out to have a look. Important not to disturb them in this process, which...
    Agree with the others. When you think they are ready and you can see some indication of root at the base - usually trying to escape through the drainage holes! - I tip them out to have a look....
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. PhilC

Clueless about repotting Lupin seedlings...

You're not the first ... nor the last ... :)When you prick them out you can "bury" up to the seed leaves, that will correct some "legginess"
    You're not the first ... nor the last ... :)When you prick them out you can "bury" up to the seed leaves, that will correct some "legginess"
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Dannii

Lawn help! Plus lawning over a old pebble driveway.. what to do ?

Hello,I am very new to gardening. I don't have a clue what I am doing but I have being trying to read up on Google / watch videos on how to do things. It's still not helped though.Im 29 and...
    Hello,I am very new to gardening. I don't have a clue what I am doing but I have being trying to read up on Google / watch videos on how to do things. It's still not helped though.Im 29 and physically fit. I live on my own in Billingham which is in the north east. I I have owned my house...
    Hello,I am very new to gardening. I don't have a clue what I am doing but I have being trying to read up on Google / watch videos on how to do things. It's still not helped though.Im 29 and physically fit. I live on my own in Billingham...
    Hello,I am very new to gardening. I don't have a clue what I am doing but I have being trying to read up on Google / watch videos on how to do things. It's still not helped though.Im 29 and...
    15862687257937651160774584493019.jpg IMG_20200407_134926.jpg IMG_20200407_134944.jpg IMG_20200407_135000.jpg IMG_20200407_135047.jpg IMG_20200407_135057.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Gee

Help with installing a garden arch

Thanks, that sounds a plan. I'll track down some 5mm timber/plastic. I don't fancy the concreting route unless I really need to. Never done it before.
    Thanks, that sounds a plan. I'll track down some 5mm timber/plastic. I don't fancy the concreting route unless I really need to. Never done it before.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. CrawfEE

How to renovate a hedge?

You planning on transplanting it to make / fill in the hedge? I reckon it will sit still for 3, maybe only 2, years ... and it is unlikely to be ina hurry to bush up, and knit together (sideways)...
    You planning on transplanting it to make / fill in the hedge? I reckon it will sit still for 3, maybe only 2, years ... and it is unlikely to be ina hurry to bush up, and knit together (sideways) thereafterCould you get the existing hedge layed? That would be the fastest way to get an...
    You planning on transplanting it to make / fill in the hedge? I reckon it will sit still for 3, maybe only 2, years ... and it is unlikely to be ina hurry to bush up, and knit together (sideways) thereafterCould you get the existing hedge...
    You planning on transplanting it to make / fill in the hedge? I reckon it will sit still for 3, maybe only 2, years ... and it is unlikely to be ina hurry to bush up, and knit together (sideways)...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JamesM1989

Help with new garden please!

Can you cover it? Plastic sheet would keep the light out (kill weeds, over time, and keep moisture in, you could plant through the plastic, in year one at least, if you are going to do that woven...
    Can you cover it? Plastic sheet would keep the light out (kill weeds, over time, and keep moisture in, you could plant through the plastic, in year one at least, if you are going to do that woven weed suppressing membrane, such as Mypex, would be best), Cardboard (old boxes) would do, but would...
    Can you cover it? Plastic sheet would keep the light out (kill weeds, over time, and keep moisture in, you could plant through the plastic, in year one at least, if you are going to do that woven weed suppressing membrane, such as Mypex, would be...
    Can you cover it? Plastic sheet would keep the light out (kill weeds, over time, and keep moisture in, you could plant through the plastic, in year one at least, if you are going to do that woven...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Paul Raybould
    Like x 4

New to the world of gardening

Pete is a very good man but never really let's on what he does for other members:love30::thumbsup:
    Pete is a very good man but never really let's on what he does for other members:love30::thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Dan_S

Lawn issue

I just bought some Westland Aftercut All Season Fertiliser from Homebase as I've had good results with it on a previous lawn. I applied it approx. 3 weeks ago and the grass does look greener.I...
    I just bought some Westland Aftercut All Season Fertiliser from Homebase as I've had good results with it on a previous lawn. I applied it approx. 3 weeks ago and the grass does look greener.I only moved into this house in November 2019, managed to get a winter cut in but the grass has been...
    I just bought some Westland Aftercut All Season Fertiliser from Homebase as I've had good results with it on a previous lawn. I applied it approx. 3 weeks ago and the grass does look greener.I only moved into this house in November 2019,...
    I just bought some Westland Aftercut All Season Fertiliser from Homebase as I've had good results with it on a previous lawn. I applied it approx. 3 weeks ago and the grass does look greener.I...
    Grass 1.jpg Grass 2.jpg Grass 3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kevin Cowans
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Barders

Mostly dead young box bush - start again or keep going with it?

Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and...
    Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and continue to grow.Thank you again for your help, much appreciated :dbgrtmb:
    Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and continue to grow.Thank you again for your help, much...
    Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Daisy Chain

Where to buy plants

You might find some info here:Retailer Feedback
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Richard91

Hebe Shrub Care...New Gardener

Cant really think of anything, but its been a mild winter. Did they get water logged? Just wonder if a hardier variety might work better, the variegated ones are a bit more tender.
    Cant really think of anything, but its been a mild winter. Did they get water logged? Just wonder if a hardier variety might work better, the variegated ones are a bit more tender.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Pashmeister

Garden stream design

Hi,Welcome to the forum.What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size...
    Hi,Welcome to the forum.What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size (big) and the return feed pipe.What catches my eye is the width of the stream and the fall, and that...
    Hi,Welcome to the forum.What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size (big) and the return feed pipe.What catches my eye...
    Hi,Welcome to the forum.What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jmg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Barders
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kevin Cowans

Herbaceous Borders trampled by workmen

Hello @2nd_bassoonThanks for the reply.I keep checking the area where the Hosta is, or was, on a daily basis, obsessive anyone, and there is no signs yet :)I will keep checking, hopefully it...
    Hello @2nd_bassoonThanks for the reply.I keep checking the area where the Hosta is, or was, on a daily basis, obsessive anyone, and there is no signs yet :)I will keep checking, hopefully it will show soon.ThanksKevin
    Hello @2nd_bassoonThanks for the reply.I keep checking the area where the Hosta is, or was, on a daily basis, obsessive anyone, and there is no signs yet :)I will keep checking, hopefully it will show soon.ThanksKevin
    Hello @2nd_bassoonThanks for the reply.I keep checking the area where the Hosta is, or was, on a daily basis, obsessive anyone, and there is no signs yet :)I will keep checking, hopefully it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dan Goss

New user new garden new problems!!!

I like them too.
    I like them too.
    I like them too.
    I like them too.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice