1. Forum News
    A NEW PHOTO COMP WILL BE STARTING THIS MONTH more information in Photo Competitions Photo Competitions Are Changing!
    Please Support The Road Verge Campaign!
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. icehockeyuk

Any tips for reviving Geranium endressii?

My commiserations :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Airwalk

How to rescue 10 Week Old Turf Dying A Slow Death....

Ok, will follow this course of action and see how things go, thanks for all your help and everyone else's input. I will report back at some point once I have given things time to develop. Ta. :blue thumb:
    Ok, will follow this course of action and see how things go, thanks for all your help and everyone else's input. I will report back at some point once I have given things time to develop. Ta. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. icehockeyuk

This is probably a stupid question, but.... Are Wargrave Pink (Hardy Geranium) a weed?

@icehockeyuk I do absolutely nothing to mine apart from the occasional deadheading if I have the time and patience. Some cut them right down (remove every single bit of foliage after the first...
    @icehockeyuk I do absolutely nothing to mine apart from the occasional deadheading if I have the time and patience. Some cut them right down (remove every single bit of foliage after the first flush of flowers) to get another flowering later in the year, but I have had mixed results trying this....
    @icehockeyuk I do absolutely nothing to mine apart from the occasional deadheading if I have the time and patience. Some cut them right down (remove every single bit of foliage after the first flush of flowers) to get another flowering later in...
    @icehockeyuk I do absolutely nothing to mine apart from the occasional deadheading if I have the time and patience. Some cut them right down (remove every single bit of foliage after the first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. LittleEd

Dead lawn. Best way forward?

New gardens are always exciting. How long have you had your new garden? Can you post some pictures. If it’s an overgrown garden that was once cultivated there could be some treasures lurking...
    New gardens are always exciting. How long have you had your new garden? Can you post some pictures. If it’s an overgrown garden that was once cultivated there could be some treasures lurking around unnoticed so far. For this reason I would not “kill it all off”. You could be inadvertently...
    New gardens are always exciting. How long have you had your new garden? Can you post some pictures. If it’s an overgrown garden that was once cultivated there could be some treasures lurking around unnoticed so far. For this reason I would not...
    New gardens are always exciting. How long have you had your new garden? Can you post some pictures. If it’s an overgrown garden that was once cultivated there could be some treasures lurking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ThePlantAssassin

Mail order woes. Money taken but no plants please help

@Spruce I've used Chris Bowers several times, most recently this year for bare rooted fruit trees. Always found them excellent and a fantastic selection of varieties. Would certainly recommend them.
    @Spruce I've used Chris Bowers several times, most recently this year for bare rooted fruit trees. Always found them excellent and a fantastic selection of varieties. Would certainly recommend them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ThePlantAssassin

Over Wintering Watering??

Im going to leave my Delphiniums in pots. They have all started to show new growth. I was wondering though should I cut this off as the frosts approach or leave it on to die over winter?
    Im going to leave my Delphiniums in pots. They have all started to show new growth. I was wondering though should I cut this off as the frosts approach or leave it on to die over winter?
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. KimG

Advice on an evergreen addition to my garden, please.

Looks perfect there Kim :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Paul Raybould
    Like x 4

New to the world of gardening

I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with...
    I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with feeding after that so happy considering that last year it was just mudBefore treatmentAfter 7 days
    I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with feeding after that so happy considering that last...
    I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with...
    E2FF735F-78C8-4FE9-BD60-D6772938D431.jpeg 47B55B84-82F5-4665-893C-83E6DFBE8674.jpeg 20180911_174545.jpg C595E955-3BAC-4402-9C3B-1413067CE228.jpeg 4A1C062D-A17D-4A59-B88C-D3F2D1FFCAD6.jpeg 3E76567D-7AF9-4159-A169-7E499750E43F.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. s1m0nw

Mushy grass in back garden help

Does anyone have any tips on how I could improve drainage?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ThroughTheWoods42

Help! Calamondin wilted and unresponsive.

I'd say overwatering rather than underwatering, and has it been on the decline for some time.I'm sorry, but I think its probably dead.
    I'd say overwatering rather than underwatering, and has it been on the decline for some time.I'm sorry, but I think its probably dead.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ThePlantAssassin

Plug plant advice please

Yes, get to know your half hardy annuals and anuals, biennials and perennials. Don't panic. We have all been there and so often learned the hard way.
    Yes, get to know your half hardy annuals and anuals, biennials and perennials. Don't panic. We have all been there and so often learned the hard way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Barders

Plant identification please :0)

Awesome KFF, thank you so much!I am starting a little book (with pictures!) of all the plants I don't have a clue about, so I will remember how to care for them and this is the first entry,...
    Awesome KFF, thank you so much!I am starting a little book (with pictures!) of all the plants I don't have a clue about, so I will remember how to care for them and this is the first entry, thank you :dbgrtmb:
    Awesome KFF, thank you so much!I am starting a little book (with pictures!) of all the plants I don't have a clue about, so I will remember how to care for them and this is the first entry, thank you :dbgrtmb:
    Awesome KFF, thank you so much!I am starting a little book (with pictures!) of all the plants I don't have a clue about, so I will remember how to care for them and this is the first entry,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ellen9661

Legal question.

Is this your fence? If it is you can treat the plant with a herbicide on both sides of the fence as it’s your property but only what’s on your fence. It’s also worth checking if the fence marks...
    Is this your fence? If it is you can treat the plant with a herbicide on both sides of the fence as it’s your property but only what’s on your fence. It’s also worth checking if the fence marks the boundary as it does not always indicate the edge of said boundaries. If you had ivy for example...
    Is this your fence? If it is you can treat the plant with a herbicide on both sides of the fence as it’s your property but only what’s on your fence. It’s also worth checking if the fence marks the boundary as it does not always indicate the edge...
    Is this your fence? If it is you can treat the plant with a herbicide on both sides of the fence as it’s your property but only what’s on your fence. It’s also worth checking if the fence marks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ridgiemum

Propagators

Those were the days Mike! :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kon

A Tale of Two Fig Trees

I would leave well alone Kon :) I would remove any fruits too .....let it devote its energy into growth. Does the soil in the bigger pot feel wetter?:noidea:
    I would leave well alone Kon :) I would remove any fruits too .....let it devote its energy into growth. Does the soil in the bigger pot feel wetter?:noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Max Brun

Pain in the (water) butt

Hi @Max Brun and welcome. It would help if you could show a photo of the tap as there are different possible connections that they could have used. If you are in a big hurry, get one of these...
    Hi @Max Brun and welcome. It would help if you could show a photo of the tap as there are different possible connections that they could have used. If you are in a big hurry, get one of these rubber ends with a jubilee clip and a screw device, so that you can push it over the tap and then...
    Hi @Max Brun and welcome. It would help if you could show a photo of the tap as there are different possible connections that they could have used. If you are in a big hurry, get one of these rubber ends with a jubilee clip and a screw device, so...
    Hi @Max Brun and welcome. It would help if you could show a photo of the tap as there are different possible connections that they could have used. If you are in a big hurry, get one of these...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ThePlantAssassin

Shall I cut back everything??

Every season is different Cindy....:) Fungal problems rife one year, a plague of pests the next, a wet summer, a dry one, etc. As I said, you don’t have bad plants there at all but do some reading...
    Every season is different Cindy....:) Fungal problems rife one year, a plague of pests the next, a wet summer, a dry one, etc. As I said, you don’t have bad plants there at all but do some reading up on what certain plants like and dislike; then your plants will grow better and resist disease...
    Every season is different Cindy....:) Fungal problems rife one year, a plague of pests the next, a wet summer, a dry one, etc. As I said, you don’t have bad plants there at all but do some reading up on what certain plants like and dislike; then...
    Every season is different Cindy....:) Fungal problems rife one year, a plague of pests the next, a wet summer, a dry one, etc. As I said, you don’t have bad plants there at all but do some reading...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Saul

Reviving my Acer

Thanks Verdun, that's very reassuring! Thought it might be fine but always good to check... :)Nick
    Thanks Verdun, that's very reassuring! Thought it might be fine but always good to check... :)Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kon

Can pine bark chips attract flies?

We need an exact number count to tell you if the chippings are attracting the gnats or not! :roflol:Seriously tho, I think it's just a coincidence, :)Nick
    We need an exact number count to tell you if the chippings are attracting the gnats or not! :roflol:Seriously tho, I think it's just a coincidence, :)Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. daisy0103

Which chilli varieties should I grow?

If you're on the northern side of London then this is not too far and a good day out and is open next weekend. They also have quite a few hot food stalls for lunch.CHILLI FESTIVAL
    If you're on the northern side of London then this is not too far and a good day out and is open next weekend. They also have quite a few hot food stalls for lunch.CHILLI FESTIVAL
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice