NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. mogcat22

Mystery Plant - is it Camellia?

I agree with TBG Viburnum, the growth pattern is too compact for a Prunus, and the stems are the wrong colour
    I agree with TBG Viburnum, the growth pattern is too compact for a Prunus, and the stems are the wrong colour
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Rayla

Climbing Rose & Honeysuckle growing together

When lonicera or clematis is grown along with roses, in fact with most mixes. It's wise to keep the twinning plants under control.
    When lonicera or clematis is grown along with roses, in fact with most mixes. It's wise to keep the twinning plants under control.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Rayla

Pruning Honeysuckle

Could anyone advise if I should cut this back now or wait for spring? Plus how far to prune to make it a little less woody and still get flowers, or is it a lost cause? I also have another 2 along...
    Could anyone advise if I should cut this back now or wait for spring? Plus how far to prune to make it a little less woody and still get flowers, or is it a lost cause? I also have another 2 along the pergola is a similar state. Hope you see the image, it's my first post :-)
    Could anyone advise if I should cut this back now or wait for spring? Plus how far to prune to make it a little less woody and still get flowers, or is it a lost cause? I also have another 2 along the pergola is a similar state. Hope you see the...
    Could anyone advise if I should cut this back now or wait for spring? Plus how far to prune to make it a little less woody and still get flowers, or is it a lost cause? I also have another 2 along...
    MVIMG_20200913_112118.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Choiseul

Struggling with a line of Box

Hi all,Trying to get some box growing for a hedge but the middle plants are discoloured.If you see the picture attached, the plants at either end are doing well and have a nice deep green...
    Hi all,Trying to get some box growing for a hedge but the middle plants are discoloured.If you see the picture attached, the plants at either end are doing well and have a nice deep green colour...the ones in the middle are either very pale or have a few orange leaves.Soil is very chalky...
    Hi all,Trying to get some box growing for a hedge but the middle plants are discoloured.If you see the picture attached, the plants at either end are doing well and have a nice deep green colour...the ones in the middle are either very pale...
    Hi all,Trying to get some box growing for a hedge but the middle plants are discoloured.If you see the picture attached, the plants at either end are doing well and have a nice deep green...
    20200916_185427.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sunny-Mac

Steep garden advice.

Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've prepared the soil thoroughly and then planted through membrane. Bark, though, will tend to travel...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've prepared the soil thoroughly and then planted...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Texas Pete

White Fibres under soil

Asbestos fibres are so tiny that white blood cells can eat them whole (and that's where problems start).
    Asbestos fibres are so tiny that white blood cells can eat them whole (and that's where problems start).
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. BrisOxSophie

Balcony planting

Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a male one is local (that's a long shot on a balcony!)...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    DSC_0043.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Appleblossom31
    Like x 9

My garden was derelict at Easter

It looks lovely :) well done!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Appleblossom31

Im so so angry with myself!!!

I did and i remine the farmer as well :biggrin: when i see him :catapult:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. seantmurphy1

BLUE COLEUS

This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan....
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan. Back on topic i see that Thompson & Morgan are offering a blue poppy meconopsis 'Lingholm' which is...
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan. Back on topic i see that Thompson & Morgan are...
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Maxkolonko

Disease help

Thanks for that, I always try to water straight on soil rather overhead, but maybe I did overwater it, or rain did Thanks for help
    Thanks for that, I always try to water straight on soil rather overhead, but maybe I did overwater it, or rain did Thanks for help
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. mk2phil

New gardener - Japanese Cedar - need help!

@mk2phil I'd just keep an eye on them. I wouldn't feed them either.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Appleblossom31

Forward planning

Oh sorry yes im planting tulips And if hopefully ok ill plant some summer flowering bulbs in the spring Yikes the leylandi definitely gives you privacy that size
    Oh sorry yes im planting tulips And if hopefully ok ill plant some summer flowering bulbs in the spring Yikes the leylandi definitely gives you privacy that size
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Emma Hooker

What could this be?

Have a Google for Solanum jasminoides, LM. I'm not sure that there is a white-flowered version of nightshade.....
    Have a Google for Solanum jasminoides, LM. I'm not sure that there is a white-flowered version of nightshade.....
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Gary J Bradford

Shop compost

I used to use teabags but for years have been using one of these with loose tea and mine's big enough to get at least two Mugs of Tea out of it, and the tea leaves go either on the Compost Heaps...
    I used to use teabags but for years have been using one of these with loose tea and mine's big enough to get at least two Mugs of Tea out of it, and the tea leaves go either on the Compost Heaps or into the borders. :cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:
    I used to use teabags but for years have been using one of these with loose tea and mine's big enough to get at least two Mugs of Tea out of it, and the tea leaves go either on the Compost Heaps or into the borders. :cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:
    I used to use teabags but for years have been using one of these with loose tea and mine's big enough to get at least two Mugs of Tea out of it, and the tea leaves go either on the Compost Heaps...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JamesH_2020

Baby Cherry Laurel Problem?

I am happy I joined, a lot of friendly people here. If I have any more problems about plants I will be sure to ask. I do plan on getting a tree which can thrive while water logged, such as a red...
    I am happy I joined, a lot of friendly people here. If I have any more problems about plants I will be sure to ask. I do plan on getting a tree which can thrive while water logged, such as a red maple tree, it's 1 of the few beautiful trees that my backyard, which is like a swimming pool...
    I am happy I joined, a lot of friendly people here. If I have any more problems about plants I will be sure to ask. I do plan on getting a tree which can thrive while water logged, such as a red maple tree, it's 1 of the few beautiful trees that...
    I am happy I joined, a lot of friendly people here. If I have any more problems about plants I will be sure to ask. I do plan on getting a tree which can thrive while water logged, such as a red...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Larrybone

Leylandii

That takes me back.. I had a very nice vinca major varigata growing near a specimen conifer years ago and it did grow well.
    That takes me back.. I had a very nice vinca major varigata growing near a specimen conifer years ago and it did grow well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. SandyNI
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. SandyNI

Pruning hydrangea paniculata

You're wwelcome. Yes, some paniculatas do have large blooms and a few don't. Pinky Winky does best as far as blooms not flopping but its bloom form is lighter in form, weight and size. Compact...
    You're wwelcome. Yes, some paniculatas do have large blooms and a few don't. Pinky Winky does best as far as blooms not flopping but its bloom form is lighter in form, weight and size. Compact ones may also flop less but it is always best to look at the blooms near the end of the growing season...
    You're wwelcome. Yes, some paniculatas do have large blooms and a few don't. Pinky Winky does best as far as blooms not flopping but its bloom form is lighter in form, weight and size. Compact ones may also flop less but it is always best to look...
    You're wwelcome. Yes, some paniculatas do have large blooms and a few don't. Pinky Winky does best as far as blooms not flopping but its bloom form is lighter in form, weight and size. Compact...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. SandyNI

lavenders looking unhealthy

Prune them to remove all flower stems and treat them to a sprinkling of Growmore,
    Prune them to remove all flower stems and treat them to a sprinkling of Growmore,
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice