NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Karen1986

Training a plant up a fence or trellis

I'm with Armandii on ivy. For me it's like nettles or brambles - fine in the wild, but a problem if you bring it into your garden.If you want something evergreen to run up a trellis, star...
    I'm with Armandii on ivy. For me it's like nettles or brambles - fine in the wild, but a problem if you bring it into your garden.If you want something evergreen to run up a trellis, star jasmine is a good call. All the benefits of ivy, with added flowers and scent in summer. In theory it...
    I'm with Armandii on ivy. For me it's like nettles or brambles - fine in the wild, but a problem if you bring it into your garden.If you want something evergreen to run up a trellis, star jasmine is a good call. All the benefits of ivy, with...
    I'm with Armandii on ivy. For me it's like nettles or brambles - fine in the wild, but a problem if you bring it into your garden.If you want something evergreen to run up a trellis, star...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. CamdenFlick

Slug/snail slime on lettuce

Only lettuce I've grown is the kind that forms hearts. The slugs get at the outer leaves but you dont use them, just the heart which is usually slug free.
    Only lettuce I've grown is the kind that forms hearts. The slugs get at the outer leaves but you dont use them, just the heart which is usually slug free.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Coupe2T

Looking for some options . . . .

Good to know! Hopefully be ok then! :dunno:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. SandyNI

July and the garden is bursting with colour...NOT!

This is my first year of doing a flower garden. Probably I'm wrong, but i assumed that there would be some blooms by this stage. The picture shows a row of poppies near the fence (an afterthought...
    This is my first year of doing a flower garden. Probably I'm wrong, but i assumed that there would be some blooms by this stage. The picture shows a row of poppies near the fence (an afterthought to fill in the gap!) three Hydrangeas (one mop head the other 2 paniculata), Antirrhinum,...
    This is my first year of doing a flower garden. Probably I'm wrong, but i assumed that there would be some blooms by this stage. The picture shows a row of poppies near the fence (an afterthought to fill in the gap!) three Hydrangeas (one mop...
    This is my first year of doing a flower garden. Probably I'm wrong, but i assumed that there would be some blooms by this stage. The picture shows a row of poppies near the fence (an afterthought...
    20200711_161044.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Adamt85

Advice on my Cucumber plants needed

I've seen similar with white fly on the undersides of the leaf, but they are pretty obvious if they are around.
    I've seen similar with white fly on the undersides of the leaf, but they are pretty obvious if they are around.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Paul4321

Soil....so many choices?

Thanks all for your input. Lydney skip hire came in cheapest at £16.70/t. Will give an update on quality when it is down.Thanks again everyone. Paul
    Thanks all for your input. Lydney skip hire came in cheapest at £16.70/t. Will give an update on quality when it is down.Thanks again everyone. Paul
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. FrenchBean

A mystery in the vegetable patch!

They can be trained upwards if you have a sturdy enough framework. :blue thumb: You would need to support the squash if you did so.
    They can be trained upwards if you have a sturdy enough framework. :blue thumb: You would need to support the squash if you did so.
    C5367E7A-26C1-46DF-A28F-A6C00434F437.jpeg C25BD699-99F6-4309-B5DE-FB27D83863AD.jpeg A42CC018-826B-4DE4-9AE4-EF493BA5CDC4.jpeg 184_8429.JPG 184_8428.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Aimi

Dahlias

Probably not tall varieties, the label lied;) Not unusual. They might have been treated to dwarf them but I wouldn't have thought so.
    Probably not tall varieties, the label lied;) Not unusual. They might have been treated to dwarf them but I wouldn't have thought so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Niall

What weed is this?

Dandelions are very good for pollinating insects, especially bees of all sorts in spring when the bees first emerge and when there are often not many nectar rich flowers about. Once seed is set...
    Dandelions are very good for pollinating insects, especially bees of all sorts in spring when the bees first emerge and when there are often not many nectar rich flowers about. Once seed is set finches, particularly Linnets and Goldfinches come to feed on them. Watching this is one of my...
    Dandelions are very good for pollinating insects, especially bees of all sorts in spring when the bees first emerge and when there are often not many nectar rich flowers about. Once seed is set finches, particularly Linnets and Goldfinches come...
    Dandelions are very good for pollinating insects, especially bees of all sorts in spring when the bees first emerge and when there are often not many nectar rich flowers about. Once seed is set...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. babisum

My Lupins have Stopped flowering and am left with seed pods!!

Normally you dead head as soon as the flowers are finished. Not sure if they will flower again this year if you do it now, but its worth a try.
    Normally you dead head as soon as the flowers are finished. Not sure if they will flower again this year if you do it now, but its worth a try.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Philbo

Nasty thorns

Blackberry wine for me.;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. martykle

Does anyone know what this crazy looking plant is?!

[COLOR=#006600][I]Welcome to Gardeners Corner @martykle . I agree with Yes they are
    [COLOR=#006600][I]Welcome to Gardeners Corner @martykle . I agree with Yes they are
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. crapgloves

Planting in a garden with buried rubble

My main bed here has a small depth of soil atop rock. This is the island norm. No rabbits as they cannot burrow ( hares instead) and no burials. When my kind neighbours buried my dog here they...
    My main bed here has a small depth of soil atop rock. This is the island norm. No rabbits as they cannot burrow ( hares instead) and no burials. When my kind neighbours buried my dog here they were chipping at rock.I am amazed at how well things grow. Beans and peas, herbs, flowers. No...
    My main bed here has a small depth of soil atop rock. This is the island norm. No rabbits as they cannot burrow ( hares instead) and no burials. When my kind neighbours buried my dog here they were chipping at rock.I am amazed at how well...
    My main bed here has a small depth of soil atop rock. This is the island norm. No rabbits as they cannot burrow ( hares instead) and no burials. When my kind neighbours buried my dog here they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. tommymcg

What has happened to my pansies?

Interesting question. As is well known. I tend not to stick to the text books. Gardening to me is an ongoing science. Take a chance, annual or biennial stuff, have a go. Cut it back and you...
    Interesting question. As is well known. I tend not to stick to the text books. Gardening to me is an ongoing science. Take a chance, annual or biennial stuff, have a go. Cut it back and you will be surprised. In time. Save the root stocks and you may well be rewarded with new plantlets.
    Interesting question. As is well known. I tend not to stick to the text books. Gardening to me is an ongoing science. Take a chance, annual or biennial stuff, have a go. Cut it back and you will be surprised. In time. Save the root stocks...
    Interesting question. As is well known. I tend not to stick to the text books. Gardening to me is an ongoing science. Take a chance, annual or biennial stuff, have a go. Cut it back and you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. SandyNI

My ongoing rabbit invasion

Good point Jiffy
    Good point Jiffy
    Good point Jiffy
    Good point Jiffy
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Emily Brookes

Evil nettles

There is one problem with nettles, not having the strength to remove them. Now they are out of control and matting underfoot.
    There is one problem with nettles, not having the strength to remove them. Now they are out of control and matting underfoot.
    3BF6B10D-56B6-482C-ABF7-50F29B465A0A.jpeg untitled.png IMG-20200518-WA0004.jpg 20200624_154429.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Emily Brookes

Feeling defeated - new house and horrible garden.

hey thanks for your reply!I’ve called in Green Thumb to help Sort the grass out. I will reseed it, they can fertilise and weed it!The brick wall is the side of the garage that belongs to the...
    hey thanks for your reply!I’ve called in Green Thumb to help Sort the grass out. I will reseed it, they can fertilise and weed it!The brick wall is the side of the garage that belongs to the house behind ours.. I’m assuming that we are fine to plant something there as long as it doesn’t...
    hey thanks for your reply!I’ve called in Green Thumb to help Sort the grass out. I will reseed it, they can fertilise and weed it!The brick wall is the side of the garage that belongs to the house behind ours.. I’m assuming that we are fine...
    hey thanks for your reply!I’ve called in Green Thumb to help Sort the grass out. I will reseed it, they can fertilise and weed it!The brick wall is the side of the garage that belongs to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Aimi

Repotting large rose

I agree with members comments.IMO. By far the easiest way to transfer the plant to a larger pot/container. Selct your new pot/container. Cover the bottom of the container with compost. Stand...
    I agree with members comments.IMO. By far the easiest way to transfer the plant to a larger pot/container. Selct your new pot/container. Cover the bottom of the container with compost. Stand the existing plant and container in it. Infill around the space between the two, firm the compost...
    I agree with members comments.IMO. By far the easiest way to transfer the plant to a larger pot/container. Selct your new pot/container. Cover the bottom of the container with compost. Stand the existing plant and container in it. Infill...
    I agree with members comments.IMO. By far the easiest way to transfer the plant to a larger pot/container. Selct your new pot/container. Cover the bottom of the container with compost. Stand...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Glynn Rigby

How to use capillary matting?

I wouldn't use it in a propagator.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sueemma

How to keep my new portuguese Laurel healthy

Thank you for your advice
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice