NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. DK MacPhee

First ever greenhouse

Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer in the the Glasgow area. The names we've been given so far are all in the east but would prefer...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer in the the Glasgow area. The names we've been...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. vadiro

Powdery mildew on apple tree?

Thank you for the answer. It looks like I'm worried too much.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Oakapple
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Niall

Clay Lawn fix

When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging it’s the soil under the turf that’s the issue and while you could hollow tine and add a soil sand...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging it’s the soil under the turf that’s the issue and...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. MartinB

Drainage advice needed - help :-)

Thanks. Maybe, I dug it's surface a bit yesterday and it seemed like just a hard ish thin surface with moss and looser soil beneath.For some reason soil related things just confuse me a lot!!
    Thanks. Maybe, I dug it's surface a bit yesterday and it seemed like just a hard ish thin surface with moss and looser soil beneath.For some reason soil related things just confuse me a lot!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. FrancescaH

First time onions and garlic

Cavelonero is easier than spinach for me, and a nice versatile dark green leaf. We use it as it comes and together in curries etc.
    Cavelonero is easier than spinach for me, and a nice versatile dark green leaf. We use it as it comes and together in curries etc.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. gaqayigi

Shade Plants

The ones i grow in shaded areas are euonymus. I've got varigated 'emerald and gold' and a 'silver n cream' example. They do well in shade, spread well and can be pruned to keep shape.
    The ones i grow in shaded areas are euonymus. I've got varigated 'emerald and gold' and a 'silver n cream' example. They do well in shade, spread well and can be pruned to keep shape.
    DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0014.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Rayla
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Cluelessone

To plant or pot on

I'd leave them in their pot for now. The bulbs won't last long so you'll be able to plant them in the spring after the bulbs finish flowering. It's only a few weeks. As @Mike Allen suggests maybe...
    I'd leave them in their pot for now. The bulbs won't last long so you'll be able to plant them in the spring after the bulbs finish flowering. It's only a few weeks. As @Mike Allen suggests maybe you could plant them in a larger pot for the time being if they seem cramped.
    I'd leave them in their pot for now. The bulbs won't last long so you'll be able to plant them in the spring after the bulbs finish flowering. It's only a few weeks. As @Mike Allen suggests maybe you could plant them in a larger pot for the time...
    I'd leave them in their pot for now. The bulbs won't last long so you'll be able to plant them in the spring after the bulbs finish flowering. It's only a few weeks. As @Mike Allen suggests maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Coffee

Help with going forward..

Hi JR thx for the reply... Water butt I have already as a Christmas gift I just need to fix it all up. The composter I was thinking of doing bottom right as you said, just unsure as it gets no sun...
    Hi JR thx for the reply... Water butt I have already as a Christmas gift I just need to fix it all up. The composter I was thinking of doing bottom right as you said, just unsure as it gets no sun down there even in the height of summer. But if u think it should go there I'll go with that.For...
    Hi JR thx for the reply... Water butt I have already as a Christmas gift I just need to fix it all up. The composter I was thinking of doing bottom right as you said, just unsure as it gets no sun down there even in the height of summer. But if u...
    Hi JR thx for the reply... Water butt I have already as a Christmas gift I just need to fix it all up. The composter I was thinking of doing bottom right as you said, just unsure as it gets no sun...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. NinaCZ

Tree Lily bulbs - in a box for too long? Help please!

I'm not sure if this would help you but last year I was in a similar situation.I planted some in a mix of compost and vermiculite.I put quite a good handful of vermiculite around the bulb itself...
    I'm not sure if this would help you but last year I was in a similar situation.I planted some in a mix of compost and vermiculite.I put quite a good handful of vermiculite around the bulb itself . I wrapped a few layers of protection fleece around the whole lot. I put these against and partly...
    I'm not sure if this would help you but last year I was in a similar situation.I planted some in a mix of compost and vermiculite.I put quite a good handful of vermiculite around the bulb itself . I wrapped a few layers of protection fleece...
    I'm not sure if this would help you but last year I was in a similar situation.I planted some in a mix of compost and vermiculite.I put quite a good handful of vermiculite around the bulb itself...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Andy_andy

New orchard advice for evergreen hedge

At the moment after some more documentation, Norvegian Spruce is the best for me (and cheap).What is the planting distance, please?My guess will be 2 per meter!?!
    At the moment after some more documentation, Norvegian Spruce is the best for me (and cheap).What is the planting distance, please?My guess will be 2 per meter!?!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. DevonPhil

Overgrown old climbing rose + unknown climbing plant

@DevonPhilYes, I know:dunno::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Scott Chalmers

Help me help my lawn

Ah! I have sussed out what they are now:) they’re to say if you like or agree or find a post helpful or funny ( still finding my way around the site)
    Ah! I have sussed out what they are now:) they’re to say if you like or agree or find a post helpful or funny ( still finding my way around the site)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. DevonPhil

Taming very established Wisteria

That sounds like a bargain, Phil, and also that gardening is getting a grip on you!!:thumbsup::heehee:
    That sounds like a bargain, Phil, and also that gardening is getting a grip on you!!:thumbsup::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Aidan123G

Help needed for raised beds plant choice.

Just to add....there's a hardy fern called Polystichum setiferum which grows equally well in sun or shade :) When you've decided on your plants and got them planted, a thick mulch of a sterile...
    Just to add....there's a hardy fern called Polystichum setiferum which grows equally well in sun or shade :) When you've decided on your plants and got them planted, a thick mulch of a sterile material such as chopped bark, stone chippings, slate or pouzzolane will suppress weeds and keep...
    Just to add....there's a hardy fern called Polystichum setiferum which grows equally well in sun or shade :) When you've decided on your plants and got them planted, a thick mulch of a sterile material such as chopped bark, stone chippings, slate...
    Just to add....there's a hardy fern called Polystichum setiferum which grows equally well in sun or shade :) When you've decided on your plants and got them planted, a thick mulch of a sterile...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Nicola123

Zero experience and have a really basic question about soil

I’ve not heard of that so I’m very grateful - I’ve definitely not got any borage so far so I’ll look at getting some now - thank you
    I’ve not heard of that so I’m very grateful - I’ve definitely not got any borage so far so I’ll look at getting some now - thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Daria Klyza

Light problems, please help!

Look out for draughts,water logging and scale insects too :yikes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. SandyNI

To fleece or not to fleece!

Thank you pete. I'm working on a frame to prevent the fleece touching the foliage. It's worth a try!
    Thank you pete. I'm working on a frame to prevent the fleece touching the foliage. It's worth a try!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Matthew Doswell

Fresh restart from seed ?

Welcome to Gardeners Corner Matthew. :)We have quite a few members join with new build garden problems. Quite often builders don't bother providing a garden that's workable and will bury rubbish...
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Matthew. :)We have quite a few members join with new build garden problems. Quite often builders don't bother providing a garden that's workable and will bury rubbish and rubble covered with a few inches of soil, turf or grass seed it and walk away. Unfortunately in...
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Matthew. :)We have quite a few members join with new build garden problems. Quite often builders don't bother providing a garden that's workable and will bury rubbish and rubble covered with a few inches of soil, turf...
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Matthew. :)We have quite a few members join with new build garden problems. Quite often builders don't bother providing a garden that's workable and will bury rubbish...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice