Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Paul Beard

Garlic

It's odd but they're not *that* special, yet they are at the same time! Risotto also a good one
    It's odd but they're not *that* special, yet they are at the same time! Risotto also a good one
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Darren2993

Protection : Cages

I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m...
    I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m roll though and it is only two widths, 2m or 3m. It keeps deer and rabbits uninterested too. ...
    I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m roll though and it is only two widths, 2m or 3m....
    I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK
    Like x 18

John's Allotment

Levelling would make the fabric easier to walk on and pinning it down firmly also helps. I don't know whether you have a hose facility there but if it gets muddy it is easy to hose off. I've...
    Levelling would make the fabric easier to walk on and pinning it down firmly also helps. I don't know whether you have a hose facility there but if it gets muddy it is easy to hose off. I've been using it in my veg plot for at least 15 years and it makes things so much easier.I use it in...
    Levelling would make the fabric easier to walk on and pinning it down firmly also helps. I don't know whether you have a hose facility there but if it gets muddy it is easy to hose off. I've been using it in my veg plot for at least 15 years...
    Levelling would make the fabric easier to walk on and pinning it down firmly also helps. I don't know whether you have a hose facility there but if it gets muddy it is easy to hose off. I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Paul Beard

Tilling depth.

@pete if some of these people that design garden machinery actually got out from behind their computers and spent a few days in a garden using them, weäd soon have machines that are easy to use....
    @pete if some of these people that design garden machinery actually got out from behind their computers and spent a few days in a garden using them, weäd soon have machines that are easy to use. Who knows, doing that might even save the lives of a few worms in the process!:rolleyespink::biggrin:
    @pete if some of these people that design garden machinery actually got out from behind their computers and spent a few days in a garden using them, weäd soon have machines that are easy to use. Who knows, doing that might even save the lives of...
    @pete if some of these people that design garden machinery actually got out from behind their computers and spent a few days in a garden using them, weäd soon have machines that are easy to use....
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. clanless
    Like x 19

Got this 2 weeks ago

It never was my intention to grow veg down at the plot - it was always going to be more of a 'leisure' plot. I harvested some leeks from there a couple of days ago - I have to say - the shop...
    It never was my intention to grow veg down at the plot - it was always going to be more of a 'leisure' plot. I harvested some leeks from there a couple of days ago - I have to say - the shop bought leeks were better. Apologies to any allotmenteers out there :biggrin:.My garden is large enough to keep...
    It never was my intention to grow veg down at the plot - it was always going to be more of a 'leisure' plot. I harvested some leeks from there a couple of days ago - I have to say - the shop bought leeks were better. Apologies to any...
    It never was my intention to grow veg down at the plot - it was always going to be more of a 'leisure' plot. I harvested some leeks from there a couple of days ago - I have to say - the shop...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Fred Dennt

new allotment , brand new!

As Scrungee said above, you really can't go wrong with Premier Seeds Direct , I have bought direct and on Ebay. Great choice and price.
    As Scrungee said above, you really can't go wrong with Premier Seeds Direct , I have bought direct and on Ebay. Great choice and price.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. bigknickers

Adding well rotted manure

How long your soil retains nutrients from your manure will also be influenced by how you treat your soil. If there is something growing on it you will get some protection of the soil from the...
    How long your soil retains nutrients from your manure will also be influenced by how you treat your soil. If there is something growing on it you will get some protection of the soil from the plants. The leaves and top growth of the plants stop rain drops directly striking the soil and let rain...
    How long your soil retains nutrients from your manure will also be influenced by how you treat your soil. If there is something growing on it you will get some protection of the soil from the plants. The leaves and top growth of the plants stop...
    How long your soil retains nutrients from your manure will also be influenced by how you treat your soil. If there is something growing on it you will get some protection of the soil from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. David Cook

Carrots Growing

A bit of a top up when the shoulders of the carrots push above the soil, to stop them going green, do you think John? But not "heap-it-on" like spuds I agree.Home Grown Veg is the man you need...
    A bit of a top up when the shoulders of the carrots push above the soil, to stop them going green, do you think John? But not "heap-it-on" like spuds I agree.Home Grown Veg is the man you need for "Carrots in a Bucket"He has a style not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but he has 84K...
    A bit of a top up when the shoulders of the carrots push above the soil, to stop them going green, do you think John? But not "heap-it-on" like spuds I agree.Home Grown Veg is the man you need for "Carrots in a Bucket"He has a style not to...
    A bit of a top up when the shoulders of the carrots push above the soil, to stop them going green, do you think John? But not "heap-it-on" like spuds I agree.Home Grown Veg is the man you need...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. "doddery"
    Like x 13

Got myself a new allotment

Oh my goodness! I'd love to have a patch of land like this to grow my veggies on!
    Oh my goodness! I'd love to have a patch of land like this to grow my veggies on!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jordhandeson

Plants and Sun direction???

:what: Probably a stupid question,:noidea: but I am like that.:heehee: Does it matter in relation to the sun ie rises in the East and goes down in the West, is there a preference as to what direction the rows of...
    :what: Probably a stupid question,:noidea: but I am like that.:heehee: Does it matter in relation to the sun ie rises in the East and goes down in the West, is there a preference as to what direction the rows of vegetable plants are in, or dose it not matter.
    :what: Probably a stupid question,:noidea: but I am like that.:heehee: Does it matter in relation to the sun ie rises in the East and goes down in the West, is there a preference as to what direction the rows of vegetable plants are in, or dose it not matter.
    :what: Probably a stupid question,:noidea: but I am like that.:heehee: Does it matter in relation to the sun ie rises in the East and goes down in the West, is there a preference as to what direction the rows of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. lazy-gardener

Can I put chicken manure straight on my plot

For the Lazee gardener much better to use the pelleted chicken manure which has no smell either, bet your heap of fresh manure is minging ! Hope you have it on an allotment and not near your house!
    For the Lazee gardener much better to use the pelleted chicken manure which has no smell either, bet your heap of fresh manure is minging ! Hope you have it on an allotment and not near your house!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lazy-gardener

Is this a cutworm

It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does...
    It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does for slugs and snails, bringing them to the surface, but worth a try? IME, nematode success is so...
    It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does for slugs and snails, bringing them to the surface,...
    It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. lazy-gardener

What do I do with all these caterpillars

I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds...
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds will do their thing
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds will do their thing
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jasmine star

Should I get a allotment?

Removed another section of tarp this morning ready to work on another small section. Operation get on my knees and dig :help: it was a lovely few hours listening to the birds. I was joined by a cat...
    Removed another section of tarp this morning ready to work on another small section. Operation get on my knees and dig :help: it was a lovely few hours listening to the birds. I was joined by a cat that was stalking something nearby. I could hear the children in a nearby school which was nice too. ...
    Removed another section of tarp this morning ready to work on another small section. Operation get on my knees and dig :help: it was a lovely few hours listening to the birds. I was joined by a cat that was stalking something nearby. I could hear the...
    Removed another section of tarp this morning ready to work on another small section. Operation get on my knees and dig :help: it was a lovely few hours listening to the birds. I was joined by a cat...
    20201016_114855.jpg 20201016_114835.jpg 20201016_114817.jpg 20201016_114814.jpg IMG_20201017_174732411.jpg 20210118_131110.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. lazy-gardener
    Friendly x 4

my first allotment but very disheartened at the moment

Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed. To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres. One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone. I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when...
    Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed. To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres. One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone. I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when all the insects have turned in for the night (apart from mozzies) Once it's dried into the foliage...
    Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed. To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres. One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone. I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when all the insects have turned in for the night (apart...
    Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed. To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres. One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone. I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Mike Allen

Do you belong to your local allotment club etc.

Luckily we were blessed with an own garden when we bought our new home.But from where we lived before there was a looooong list of candidates who were dying to finally get an allotment. And...
    Luckily we were blessed with an own garden when we bought our new home.But from where we lived before there was a looooong list of candidates who were dying to finally get an allotment. And that was literally what they were waiting for, as new lots only freed up as old people passed away. And...
    Luckily we were blessed with an own garden when we bought our new home.But from where we lived before there was a looooong list of candidates who were dying to finally get an allotment. And that was literally what they were waiting for, as new...
    Luckily we were blessed with an own garden when we bought our new home.But from where we lived before there was a looooong list of candidates who were dying to finally get an allotment. And...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Bashful

Stones

And some people gather them up and chuck them (along with white rot infected onions, blighted spuds/tomatoes, etc. onto an adjacent plot that might look like it's not being used.
    And some people gather them up and chuck them (along with white rot infected onions, blighted spuds/tomatoes, etc. onto an adjacent plot that might look like it's not being used.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. David Cook

Spent compost

Thanks Purple Streaks. Tried it. Amanda has also tried it in her garden. It don't work. The attraction with my garden is a feline. Poor mite. The local TOMs, from the posh houses treat her as...
    Thanks Purple Streaks. Tried it. Amanda has also tried it in her garden. It don't work. The attraction with my garden is a feline. Poor mite. The local TOMs, from the posh houses treat her as the local good time girl. She no sooner gives birth and she is once again impregnated. The...
    Thanks Purple Streaks. Tried it. Amanda has also tried it in her garden. It don't work. The attraction with my garden is a feline. Poor mite. The local TOMs, from the posh houses treat her as the local good time girl. She no sooner gives...
    Thanks Purple Streaks. Tried it. Amanda has also tried it in her garden. It don't work. The attraction with my garden is a feline. Poor mite. The local TOMs, from the posh houses treat her as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Emily Jones

Weeding between stones

Pulling weeds or plants in general from between stones should be easy. Soory. Very tired and in lots of pain at the moment. Nite nite.
    Pulling weeds or plants in general from between stones should be easy. Soory. Very tired and in lots of pain at the moment. Nite nite.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. David Cook

Cloche usage

Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche,...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche, cold frame or greenhouse, but that can equally cause problems with watering and overheating etc. ...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche, cold frame or greenhouse, but that can equally...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche,...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice