Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Jojeba

Yellowing fig plant - am I over or under watering?

Looks like Ficus carica , never seen one grown as a house plant before.They tend to be deciduous when growing outdoors, I'm really surprised it has leaves at this time of the year.
    Looks like Ficus carica , never seen one grown as a house plant before.They tend to be deciduous when growing outdoors, I'm really surprised it has leaves at this time of the year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. busybee

A little container advice needed please....

Yeah, its a thug. Don't plant it out, don't share its container with anything else, and don't let its roots escape into the soil through the drainage holes.
    Yeah, its a thug. Don't plant it out, don't share its container with anything else, and don't let its roots escape into the soil through the drainage holes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sarah Eley

Magnolia Susan not thriving

I see it in the Title now Doh!RHS says "Acid / Neutral" so if you have the option I think Ericaeous compost would be best (and an Acid feed too ... and rainwater not hard-water from mains...
    I see it in the Title now Doh!RHS says "Acid / Neutral" so if you have the option I think Ericaeous compost would be best (and an Acid feed too ... and rainwater not hard-water from mains (although "any water is better than none" if you run out of Rainwater in the Summer)I use these 100's...
    I see it in the Title now Doh!RHS says "Acid / Neutral" so if you have the option I think Ericaeous compost would be best (and an Acid feed too ... and rainwater not hard-water from mains (although "any water is better than none" if you run out...
    I see it in the Title now Doh!RHS says "Acid / Neutral" so if you have the option I think Ericaeous compost would be best (and an Acid feed too ... and rainwater not hard-water from mains...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. robbo

Dahlias in containers.

Can you bring them in the for the night? Garage, garden shed or similar. Bit of a faff, and important not to forget on a cold night :snooze:. They can stay in the garage / shed (or somewhere even warmer...
    Can you bring them in the for the night? Garage, garden shed or similar. Bit of a faff, and important not to forget on a cold night :snooze:. They can stay in the garage / shed (or somewhere even warmer if you have it) until the tubers' new shoots are "above ground"
    Can you bring them in the for the night? Garage, garden shed or similar. Bit of a faff, and important not to forget on a cold night :snooze:. They can stay in the garage / shed (or somewhere even warmer if you have it) until the tubers' new shoots are...
    Can you bring them in the for the night? Garage, garden shed or similar. Bit of a faff, and important not to forget on a cold night :snooze:. They can stay in the garage / shed (or somewhere even warmer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Daniel Andrew

Recommendations for plant pots

I've never thought much of them for plants, but maybe their plant quality has improved?I do buy, and have been very happy with, a lot of bulbs from them (actually from their Parkers Wholesale...
    I've never thought much of them for plants, but maybe their plant quality has improved?I do buy, and have been very happy with, a lot of bulbs from them (actually from their Parkers Wholesale arm - they seem to be happy to sell bulbs in relatively small quantities)Out of curiosity I had a...
    I've never thought much of them for plants, but maybe their plant quality has improved?I do buy, and have been very happy with, a lot of bulbs from them (actually from their Parkers Wholesale arm - they seem to be happy to sell bulbs in...
    I've never thought much of them for plants, but maybe their plant quality has improved?I do buy, and have been very happy with, a lot of bulbs from them (actually from their Parkers Wholesale...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. TheWingco

Yucca - are these roots?

Thanks fellas. Can't say what variety it is as - along with a couple of other similarly affected varieties - it was rescued from a deceased's garden.
    Thanks fellas. Can't say what variety it is as - along with a couple of other similarly affected varieties - it was rescued from a deceased's garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Neilly

Advice with planter...

Thank you both for your words of wisdom! Will definitely take a look at all that you’ve mentioned-thank you!
    Thank you both for your words of wisdom! Will definitely take a look at all that you’ve mentioned-thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Callum-91

Salix Hakuro-Nishiki: Help Needed

Salix are pretty hardy, usually lack of water is the only thing that usually kills them, saying that there are 2 other problems that can effect the Japanese grafted types. Looking at your...
    Salix are pretty hardy, usually lack of water is the only thing that usually kills them, saying that there are 2 other problems that can effect the Japanese grafted types. Looking at your pictures it sounds silly with our current weather, but it does look like lack of water, check to see if the...
    Salix are pretty hardy, usually lack of water is the only thing that usually kills them, saying that there are 2 other problems that can effect the Japanese grafted types. Looking at your pictures it sounds silly with our current weather, but it...
    Salix are pretty hardy, usually lack of water is the only thing that usually kills them, saying that there are 2 other problems that can effect the Japanese grafted types. Looking at your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. KevJ

Salad vegetable in containers

Thanks ricky101 for the comments, most useful. I was thinking of adding a lid which I can open and close whenever I need to.
    Thanks ricky101 for the comments, most useful. I was thinking of adding a lid which I can open and close whenever I need to.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jeremy Field

Which soil/compost needed for growing Thuja Smaragd Emerald in planters?

Cypress roots generally go down more than they go out, so the pot might limit growth. They also don't grow as fast as you might want for a screen.Bamboo will certainly do the job well, and it'll...
    Cypress roots generally go down more than they go out, so the pot might limit growth. They also don't grow as fast as you might want for a screen.Bamboo will certainly do the job well, and it'll give you your screen more quickly. It's also damn near impossible to kill. I like green stemmed...
    Cypress roots generally go down more than they go out, so the pot might limit growth. They also don't grow as fast as you might want for a screen.Bamboo will certainly do the job well, and it'll give you your screen more quickly. It's also damn...
    Cypress roots generally go down more than they go out, so the pot might limit growth. They also don't grow as fast as you might want for a screen.Bamboo will certainly do the job well, and it'll...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Howard Stone

Where's the best place to buy compost online?

Why not contact your local garden centers, lots of them will deliver and you usually have a decent selection of well known brands to choose from.
    Why not contact your local garden centers, lots of them will deliver and you usually have a decent selection of well known brands to choose from.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Nikolaos

Drainage In Containers

My guest room is pink and I HAVE been tempted to paint elephants on the ceiling :whistle:
    My guest room is pink and I HAVE been tempted to paint elephants on the ceiling :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Thomas stock

Bamboo planter advice please

Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build for them? I was thinking about 2no, 1.5m x 300mm x 400mm in height.Will have removable back for...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build for them? I was thinking about 2no, 1.5m x 300mm...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build...
    20191005_143705.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Loki
    Like x 3

Spring bulbs..... in pots. What are you all planning?

I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. ...
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. Have to ponder this.
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. Have to ponder this.
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Nikolaos

Potting Eryngium

The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not just colour but shape and form too using contrasting or complementary plantings. On paper, I make...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not just colour but shape and form too using...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Paul Blackburn

Honeysuckle in a container

I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a...
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a awesome neighbor friend that has one in a container for years. she lets it ramble on her deck.
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a awesome neighbor friend that has one in a...
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Hstevens

Question about repotting a Japanese Maple

Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by that you mean gently untangled and spread them out??Lot's of gardeners have lots of different...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by that you mean gently untangled and spread them...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Stephen1986

Acer Tree: Help Please

I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing season, so it might not recover, but I hope I'm wrong.You might find a compost mixture of three...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing season, so it might not recover, but I hope I'm...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Nikolaos

Would this choisya be fine in this container?

Yes, best to stick to your friend number 3 :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. tangham

Peonies in containers.

I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil became eroded and disappeared, the more the corm was exposed, and hey presto......flowers for the...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil became eroded and disappeared, the more the corm...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice