1. Photo Competition
    MAY'S PHOTO COMPETITION IS OPEN!

The theme this month is "Made it through the winter" so get your best falsetto voices ready and show us what has been Stayin' Alive

Please Click Here!

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Selleri
    Like x 3

Summer containers 2021/2022 ideas?

Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our...
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our sons still lives there & has a daughter with his partner. The other two followed us back to the UK....
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our sons still lives there & has a daughter with his...
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. hoofy

Moving potted plants around

Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants...
    Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants around - only a few that perhaps I notice are more inclined than the others.I've grown my own...
    Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants around - only a few that perhaps I notice are more...
    Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants...
    Dragon tree on the balcony from outside 19th May 2017.jpg Dragon tree in bedroom 14th April 2020 001.jpg Dragon tree in bedroom before pruning & repotting 6th April 2021 001.jpg Dragon Tree in bedroom 8th March 2022 001.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. groundbeetle

Ipomoea purpurea(Morning Glory) in a pot?

I only knew of one, Kerria japonica! So thanks for the info! :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Fhorchu

Cyclamen and daffodil container planting

A general fertilizer should be adequate.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Nikolaos

Salvias in containers, what are your experiences?

There are many so-called growing of plants together for mutual protection, - French Marigold with Tomatoes for example, though my results are poor as a way of keeping Whitefly, Aphids away from...
    There are many so-called growing of plants together for mutual protection, - French Marigold with Tomatoes for example, though my results are poor as a way of keeping Whitefly, Aphids away from Toms! I wonder if folk have heard about the connection so presume it's always true??? Sure there are...
    There are many so-called growing of plants together for mutual protection, - French Marigold with Tomatoes for example, though my results are poor as a way of keeping Whitefly, Aphids away from Toms! I wonder if folk have heard about the...
    There are many so-called growing of plants together for mutual protection, - French Marigold with Tomatoes for example, though my results are poor as a way of keeping Whitefly, Aphids away from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Balc
    Like x 5

Gardening on a balcony

I've also grown Sunflowers, Tomatoes & Strawberries on the balcony over the years. Also tried growing potatoes, Cucumber, Green Beans but tomatoes are what grow best for me. I've grown them every...
    I've also grown Sunflowers, Tomatoes & Strawberries on the balcony over the years. Also tried growing potatoes, Cucumber, Green Beans but tomatoes are what grow best for me. I've grown them every year during the 20 years we've lived here
    I've also grown Sunflowers, Tomatoes & Strawberries on the balcony over the years. Also tried growing potatoes, Cucumber, Green Beans but tomatoes are what grow best for me. I've grown them every year during the 20 years we've lived here
    I've also grown Sunflowers, Tomatoes & Strawberries on the balcony over the years. Also tried growing potatoes, Cucumber, Green Beans but tomatoes are what grow best for me. I've grown them every...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. harrylee

Heated planter/greenhouse idea.

I was assuming it was similar to a soil warming cable the type we use for making propagators. You then just add a separate thermostat which switches it on and off. The type of cable you are...
    I was assuming it was similar to a soil warming cable the type we use for making propagators. You then just add a separate thermostat which switches it on and off. The type of cable you are using is not that common over here, but I have heard of people using something similar to stop tender...
    I was assuming it was similar to a soil warming cable the type we use for making propagators. You then just add a separate thermostat which switches it on and off. The type of cable you are using is not that common over here, but I have heard...
    I was assuming it was similar to a soil warming cable the type we use for making propagators. You then just add a separate thermostat which switches it on and off. The type of cable you are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. PhilC

My indoor hyacinth flowers keep dying before they open fully

Yes there's drainage but it's just a ceramic pot with one hole in the middle so I also added perlite to the compost. Still no luck.
    Yes there's drainage but it's just a ceramic pot with one hole in the middle so I also added perlite to the compost. Still no luck.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. PhilC

Fish blood & bone, can it kill plants?

Hi,For the Seedlings probably too late, plus even if they do recover, given such a damaging check it would be better to start some new ones off. For the other established pot plants, just cross...
    Hi,For the Seedlings probably too late, plus even if they do recover, given such a damaging check it would be better to start some new ones off. For the other established pot plants, just cross your fingers and hope !What about the compost you are using, is it a decent commerical brand ...
    Hi,For the Seedlings probably too late, plus even if they do recover, given such a damaging check it would be better to start some new ones off. For the other established pot plants, just cross your fingers and hope !What about the compost...
    Hi,For the Seedlings probably too late, plus even if they do recover, given such a damaging check it would be better to start some new ones off. For the other established pot plants, just cross...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. hoofy

White Weigela in a pot

That's not an option, you need a bigger garden:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. barryman

Container grown Solanum Glasnevin (Chilean Potato tree)

Thank you for replies. Having read Tomcat's advice I think there might be some better and easier choices other than the Solanum idea !!
    Thank you for replies. Having read Tomcat's advice I think there might be some better and easier choices other than the Solanum idea !!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Gn0me

Caring for a Christmas tree

Yes , l would certainly cut the perforated pot away and pot up in the red pot. It does sound like you have a containerised tree here , one that has been lifted from the open ground. These trees...
    Yes , l would certainly cut the perforated pot away and pot up in the red pot. It does sound like you have a containerised tree here , one that has been lifted from the open ground. These trees are sold to use over Xmas , it’s survival depends on how much good root is left. You need some of...
    Yes , l would certainly cut the perforated pot away and pot up in the red pot. It does sound like you have a containerised tree here , one that has been lifted from the open ground. These trees are sold to use over Xmas , it’s survival depends...
    Yes , l would certainly cut the perforated pot away and pot up in the red pot. It does sound like you have a containerised tree here , one that has been lifted from the open ground. These trees...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Deebles

What Berberis for a container?

Thank you all for the help! Sun can be arranged, as I have a sunny spot in my front garden that may work. The back is sadly North facing.
    Thank you all for the help! Sun can be arranged, as I have a sunny spot in my front garden that may work. The back is sadly North facing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Bfm

Repotting Portuguese laurels

Thanks for that. I'll take one out of the pot on in the morning and get a proper look. Thanks for the tip ref w it winter. We are in Ireland so harsh winters are commonplace. We do have a...
    Thanks for that. I'll take one out of the pot on in the morning and get a proper look. Thanks for the tip ref w it winter. We are in Ireland so harsh winters are commonplace. We do have a large glass greenhouse so could keep them in there during harsh weather
    Thanks for that. I'll take one out of the pot on in the morning and get a proper look. Thanks for the tip ref w it winter. We are in Ireland so harsh winters are commonplace. We do have a large glass greenhouse so could keep them in there...
    Thanks for that. I'll take one out of the pot on in the morning and get a proper look. Thanks for the tip ref w it winter. We are in Ireland so harsh winters are commonplace. We do have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Bardering

Red robin (photinia) in container

Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it...
    Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it didn't need too much water. The pot is probably about 12". So, I will do as you recommend re-pot to a...
    Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it didn't need too much water. The pot is probably about...
    Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Cordy
    Like x 11

Made these planters

Now how cute are they! Shame I am not a neighbour ... I like the one with the open wheels.
    Now how cute are they! Shame I am not a neighbour ... I like the one with the open wheels.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. LinG

Plants to go with Persicaria 'Red Dragon'

Thanks Jenny, that's handy to know.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. countryman

Hydrangea leaves going purple and brown

After 5 years, with a bigger root system, it may now need more water than you provide in the summer. If you also use rocks as mulch, that will keep things toasty at night. Terra cotta pots will...
    After 5 years, with a bigger root system, it may now need more water than you provide in the summer. If you also use rocks as mulch, that will keep things toasty at night. Terra cotta pots will also lose moisture fast compared to other materials.If the leaf edges are turning brown and browning...
    After 5 years, with a bigger root system, it may now need more water than you provide in the summer. If you also use rocks as mulch, that will keep things toasty at night. Terra cotta pots will also lose moisture fast compared to other...
    After 5 years, with a bigger root system, it may now need more water than you provide in the summer. If you also use rocks as mulch, that will keep things toasty at night. Terra cotta pots will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Victoria

Hand Tools

That is posh, Nick. :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Victoria

Houseplants Outside

What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small windows, I cannot have indoor plants. Also, in these old cottages in a hot country, the windowsills tend...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small windows, I cannot have indoor plants. Also, in these old...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small...
    Pachira 13 Jul.jpg Schefflera 13 Jul.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. ChangeAgent

Help with pruning one of my balcony pot-plants Thuja Hiba or Thujopsis dolabrata

several times trimming is OK. Thanks Pete, for your help.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice