1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Lottie222

Brown blackberry leaves?

Isn't it about 2 months late (at least) for this year's new leaves to be appearing on a Blackberry? Bud burst was absolutely ages ago.Do T&M keep them in a fridge? (and not a frost free one!).
    Isn't it about 2 months late (at least) for this year's new leaves to be appearing on a Blackberry? Bud burst was absolutely ages ago.Do T&M keep them in a fridge? (and not a frost free one!).
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Lottie222

Lasagne Planting Spring Bulbs?

Didnt Monty say instead of them coming up at different times they all came up at once,bang!
    Didnt Monty say instead of them coming up at different times they all came up at once,bang!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Lottie222

Annuals (Window Box) Help Please?

They're still alive anyway hurrah! lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. clanless

Coco liners for hanging baskets - top tip

Wow that's a huge difference!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. hydrogardener
    Like x 3

Zucchini in containers.

Thanks so much for getting back to me!I just checked and they say your planter is around 1,5 cubic feet in volume, so 40 liters. Someone said 25 quarts, which is actually less than that, 30...
    Thanks so much for getting back to me!I just checked and they say your planter is around 1,5 cubic feet in volume, so 40 liters. Someone said 25 quarts, which is actually less than that, 30 liters or so. But I will go with the higher volume just in case.
    Thanks so much for getting back to me!I just checked and they say your planter is around 1,5 cubic feet in volume, so 40 liters. Someone said 25 quarts, which is actually less than that, 30 liters or so. But I will go with the higher volume...
    Thanks so much for getting back to me!I just checked and they say your planter is around 1,5 cubic feet in volume, so 40 liters. Someone said 25 quarts, which is actually less than that, 30...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. totalwise
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. totalwise
    Like x 4

Strawberry tower questions

If your strawberries are in their first year, it could simply be that they are not established yet. Mine made relatively few berries last year. I moved one tub on top of an admittedly large...
    If your strawberries are in their first year, it could simply be that they are not established yet. Mine made relatively few berries last year. I moved one tub on top of an admittedly large planter and now they make berries the size of a chestnut and very good, while the ones I left in tubs are...
    If your strawberries are in their first year, it could simply be that they are not established yet. Mine made relatively few berries last year. I moved one tub on top of an admittedly large planter and now they make berries the size of a...
    If your strawberries are in their first year, it could simply be that they are not established yet. Mine made relatively few berries last year. I moved one tub on top of an admittedly large...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Alpine 1

Cytisus dwarf (broom)- flower dropping

All I can say hopefully next year you get the success you need with the plant as bonsai they look gorgeous I always think...i'm pleased I removed my 5 out, they had some form of insect on them...
    All I can say hopefully next year you get the success you need with the plant as bonsai they look gorgeous I always think...i'm pleased I removed my 5 out, they had some form of insect on them very small and black and when they bit you it caused swelling but all plants have now been replaced, so...
    All I can say hopefully next year you get the success you need with the plant as bonsai they look gorgeous I always think...i'm pleased I removed my 5 out, they had some form of insect on them very small and black and when they bit you it caused...
    All I can say hopefully next year you get the success you need with the plant as bonsai they look gorgeous I always think...i'm pleased I removed my 5 out, they had some form of insect on them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. joh98.mac

'Accidentally' Put Weedkiller on Earth...

I use a weed killer based on pelargonic acid which is found in geraniums the only other ingredient is maleic acid and so far its doing a great job
    I use a weed killer based on pelargonic acid which is found in geraniums the only other ingredient is maleic acid and so far its doing a great job
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. robbo

Half barrel suggestions

Like @Sian in Belgium I have Clematis in mine and Tulips followed by Lilies. I didn't expect the Tulips to keep going for as long as they have but the good drainage large barrels give (plenty of...
    Like @Sian in Belgium I have Clematis in mine and Tulips followed by Lilies. I didn't expect the Tulips to keep going for as long as they have but the good drainage large barrels give (plenty of stones/gravel etc in the bottom of the barrels) seems to suit them. The Lilies start into growth as...
    Like @Sian in Belgium I have Clematis in mine and Tulips followed by Lilies. I didn't expect the Tulips to keep going for as long as they have but the good drainage large barrels give (plenty of stones/gravel etc in the bottom of the barrels)...
    Like @Sian in Belgium I have Clematis in mine and Tulips followed by Lilies. I didn't expect the Tulips to keep going for as long as they have but the good drainage large barrels give (plenty of...
    IMG_2634.JPG 001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. LinzJ13

5 foot (ish) Acer

I would say that even a 40cm pot is still on the small size for a 5ft Acer My Acer Palmatum Garnet is in a 30cm pot but it's only 3ft high, its been in the same pot for a couple of years now and...
    I would say that even a 40cm pot is still on the small size for a 5ft Acer My Acer Palmatum Garnet is in a 30cm pot but it's only 3ft high, its been in the same pot for a couple of years now and could do with a re-pot into a larger pot.
    I would say that even a 40cm pot is still on the small size for a 5ft Acer My Acer Palmatum Garnet is in a 30cm pot but it's only 3ft high, its been in the same pot for a couple of years now and could do with a re-pot into a larger pot.
    I would say that even a 40cm pot is still on the small size for a 5ft Acer My Acer Palmatum Garnet is in a 30cm pot but it's only 3ft high, its been in the same pot for a couple of years now and...
    D9E9799C-BFA7-4729-9FC7-030711FE1A3E.png 20180516_201649.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Howard Stone

Architectural evergreen or semi-evergreen container plants to use as a replacement for Box.

Howard Lovely looking things but agaves are mightily dangerous......needle sharp foliage that will take out an eye in a moment of carelessness. Once got one removed from a local garden walk way...
    Howard Lovely looking things but agaves are mightily dangerous......needle sharp foliage that will take out an eye in a moment of carelessness. Once got one removed from a local garden walk way because it was planted where children associate. Some suggest cutting off the sharp points but then...
    Howard Lovely looking things but agaves are mightily dangerous......needle sharp foliage that will take out an eye in a moment of carelessness. Once got one removed from a local garden walk way because it was planted where children associate. ...
    Howard Lovely looking things but agaves are mightily dangerous......needle sharp foliage that will take out an eye in a moment of carelessness. Once got one removed from a local garden walk way...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jack Sparrow

Hanging baskets for shade

White sunpatiens there for me Gary. One plant per basket is enough for a display lasting well into autumn. White in shade is eye catching :)
    White sunpatiens there for me Gary. One plant per basket is enough for a display lasting well into autumn. White in shade is eye catching :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jack Sparrow

Interchangeable seasonal planters

This is where I'm working.Today I planted begonias and Ixias. Another day I will do the same the other side. I was thinking of spring bulbs in over winter and spring and summer bulbs (or...
    This is where I'm working.Today I planted begonias and Ixias. Another day I will do the same the other side. I was thinking of spring bulbs in over winter and spring and summer bulbs (or whatever) during the summer. This interchanging wouldn't be possible unless I get a greenhouse. I might be...
    This is where I'm working.Today I planted begonias and Ixias. Another day I will do the same the other side. I was thinking of spring bulbs in over winter and spring and summer bulbs (or whatever) during the summer. This interchanging wouldn't...
    This is where I'm working.Today I planted begonias and Ixias. Another day I will do the same the other side. I was thinking of spring bulbs in over winter and spring and summer bulbs (or...
    P1040116.JPG P1030738.JPG P1010263.JPG P1010264.JPG 20180510_150521.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Matt-tropical

Gunnera in 200 ltr pot

Just uncovered a couple of my offcuts i had in small containers and they are fine,not dead as i first thought despite that winter.Mpc,kept moist,over wintered under a slab of roof insulation.
    Just uncovered a couple of my offcuts i had in small containers and they are fine,not dead as i first thought despite that winter.Mpc,kept moist,over wintered under a slab of roof insulation.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Rebaka darling

Gladiolus... When will they flower..?

Any half decent size gladioli should flower the first year in my opinion. I would want to know why if they didn't :sad: I have had freebie gladioli that have always flowered:noidea: I think gladioli would...
    Any half decent size gladioli should flower the first year in my opinion. I would want to know why if they didn't :sad: I have had freebie gladioli that have always flowered:noidea: I think gladioli would be lost amidst dahlias....Gary's question I think.....and would look better assorting with mounded...
    Any half decent size gladioli should flower the first year in my opinion. I would want to know why if they didn't :sad: I have had freebie gladioli that have always flowered:noidea: I think gladioli would be lost amidst dahlias....Gary's question I...
    Any half decent size gladioli should flower the first year in my opinion. I would want to know why if they didn't :sad: I have had freebie gladioli that have always flowered:noidea: I think gladioli would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Anne Knowles

What size pot?

Yes, agree with Pete's distinction but I think Ann has chosen a picea. My own favourite is Globosa :)
    Yes, agree with Pete's distinction but I think Ann has chosen a picea. My own favourite is Globosa :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. nightofjoy

Companion plants for potted Ceanothus

The beast from the east has similarly damaged my large west facing specimen, very burnt in all parts except the branches near the wall. It is looking very sorry for itself. I’m hoping it’ll sprout...
    The beast from the east has similarly damaged my large west facing specimen, very burnt in all parts except the branches near the wall. It is looking very sorry for itself. I’m hoping it’ll sprout near the main branches and then I’ll cut it back. Hope they recover.
    The beast from the east has similarly damaged my large west facing specimen, very burnt in all parts except the branches near the wall. It is looking very sorry for itself. I’m hoping it’ll sprout near the main branches and then I’ll cut it back....
    The beast from the east has similarly damaged my large west facing specimen, very burnt in all parts except the branches near the wall. It is looking very sorry for itself. I’m hoping it’ll sprout...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. trogre

Feeding Plants in Containers.

Hi. All the roots were showing through bottom of pots. 3 planted up into 1 L pots and the other 2 which came in slightly larger pots also potted up. Thanks for the tip about given them a soak for...
    Hi. All the roots were showing through bottom of pots. 3 planted up into 1 L pots and the other 2 which came in slightly larger pots also potted up. Thanks for the tip about given them a soak for 20 mins. Surprising but I watered them when they arrived but once out of the pots the roots at...
    Hi. All the roots were showing through bottom of pots. 3 planted up into 1 L pots and the other 2 which came in slightly larger pots also potted up. Thanks for the tip about given them a soak for 20 mins. Surprising but I watered them when they...
    Hi. All the roots were showing through bottom of pots. 3 planted up into 1 L pots and the other 2 which came in slightly larger pots also potted up. Thanks for the tip about given them a soak for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Linz

Epimediums

Here's a photo of my new Saxifraga stolonifera 'Hime' with the standard form on the left for comparison................ Massively overcrowded I've split it up and potted a couple and dotted a...
    Here's a photo of my new Saxifraga stolonifera 'Hime' with the standard form on the left for comparison................ Massively overcrowded I've split it up and potted a couple and dotted a few around to see how they go.
    Here's a photo of my new Saxifraga stolonifera 'Hime' with the standard form on the left for comparison................ Massively overcrowded I've split it up and potted a couple and dotted a few around to see how they go.
    Here's a photo of my new Saxifraga stolonifera 'Hime' with the standard form on the left for comparison................ Massively overcrowded I've split it up and potted a couple and dotted a...
    Screenshot_20180331-211005.png P1070097.JPG P1070099.JPG P1070098.JPG DSC_0785.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options