1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Matt-tropical

Gunnera in 200 ltr pot

I worked for a very ‘reputable’ and dare I say classy nursery in the south coast for a year or so and we used sinclaires compost for absolutely everything, Gunneras too. The sad part was the fact...
    I worked for a very ‘reputable’ and dare I say classy nursery in the south coast for a year or so and we used sinclaires compost for absolutely everything, Gunneras too. The sad part was the fact the compost had soo much fertiliser in (which could cause detrimental damage to ponds should they be...
    I worked for a very ‘reputable’ and dare I say classy nursery in the south coast for a year or so and we used sinclaires compost for absolutely everything, Gunneras too. The sad part was the fact the compost had soo much fertiliser in (which...
    I worked for a very ‘reputable’ and dare I say classy nursery in the south coast for a year or so and we used sinclaires compost for absolutely everything, Gunneras too. The sad part was the fact...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Rebaka darling

Gladiolus... When will they flower..?

Any half decent size gladioli should flower the first year in my opinion. I would want to know why if they didn't :sad: I have had freebie gladioli that have always flowered:noidea: I think gladioli would...
    Any half decent size gladioli should flower the first year in my opinion. I would want to know why if they didn't :sad: I have had freebie gladioli that have always flowered:noidea: I think gladioli would be lost amidst dahlias....Gary's question I think.....and would look better assorting with mounded...
    Any half decent size gladioli should flower the first year in my opinion. I would want to know why if they didn't :sad: I have had freebie gladioli that have always flowered:noidea: I think gladioli would be lost amidst dahlias....Gary's question I...
    Any half decent size gladioli should flower the first year in my opinion. I would want to know why if they didn't :sad: I have had freebie gladioli that have always flowered:noidea: I think gladioli would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Anne Knowles

What size pot?

Yes, agree with Pete's distinction but I think Ann has chosen a picea. My own favourite is Globosa :)
    Yes, agree with Pete's distinction but I think Ann has chosen a picea. My own favourite is Globosa :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. nightofjoy

Companion plants for potted Ceanothus

The beast from the east has similarly damaged my large west facing specimen, very burnt in all parts except the branches near the wall. It is looking very sorry for itself. I’m hoping it’ll sprout...
    The beast from the east has similarly damaged my large west facing specimen, very burnt in all parts except the branches near the wall. It is looking very sorry for itself. I’m hoping it’ll sprout near the main branches and then I’ll cut it back. Hope they recover.
    The beast from the east has similarly damaged my large west facing specimen, very burnt in all parts except the branches near the wall. It is looking very sorry for itself. I’m hoping it’ll sprout near the main branches and then I’ll cut it back....
    The beast from the east has similarly damaged my large west facing specimen, very burnt in all parts except the branches near the wall. It is looking very sorry for itself. I’m hoping it’ll sprout...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. trogre

Feeding Plants in Containers.

Hi. All the roots were showing through bottom of pots. 3 planted up into 1 L pots and the other 2 which came in slightly larger pots also potted up. Thanks for the tip about given them a soak for...
    Hi. All the roots were showing through bottom of pots. 3 planted up into 1 L pots and the other 2 which came in slightly larger pots also potted up. Thanks for the tip about given them a soak for 20 mins. Surprising but I watered them when they arrived but once out of the pots the roots at...
    Hi. All the roots were showing through bottom of pots. 3 planted up into 1 L pots and the other 2 which came in slightly larger pots also potted up. Thanks for the tip about given them a soak for 20 mins. Surprising but I watered them when they...
    Hi. All the roots were showing through bottom of pots. 3 planted up into 1 L pots and the other 2 which came in slightly larger pots also potted up. Thanks for the tip about given them a soak for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Linz

Epimediums

Here's a photo of my new Saxifraga stolonifera 'Hime' with the standard form on the left for comparison................ Massively overcrowded I've split it up and potted a couple and dotted a...
    Here's a photo of my new Saxifraga stolonifera 'Hime' with the standard form on the left for comparison................ Massively overcrowded I've split it up and potted a couple and dotted a few around to see how they go.
    Here's a photo of my new Saxifraga stolonifera 'Hime' with the standard form on the left for comparison................ Massively overcrowded I've split it up and potted a couple and dotted a few around to see how they go.
    Here's a photo of my new Saxifraga stolonifera 'Hime' with the standard form on the left for comparison................ Massively overcrowded I've split it up and potted a couple and dotted a...
    Screenshot_20180331-211005.png P1070097.JPG P1070099.JPG P1070098.JPG DSC_0785.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. SpikeTheCactus

Suggestions please!

Define a large pot! Correa or Grevillea might be good.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Outlander
    Like x 3

Pruning a container Buddleja

They are dwarf...relatvely dwarf....but they need better treatment than the usual buddleias. Buddleia buzz ivory and magenta are two I grow (in the ground):)
    They are dwarf...relatvely dwarf....but they need better treatment than the usual buddleias. Buddleia buzz ivory and magenta are two I grow (in the ground):)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JordanLou86

Help! How to tackle large containers?

As a 'Fellow' mad scientist. I agree.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jack Sparrow

I would like a specimen tree on my patio

Fairly sure I mentioned this to JS in another thread ... in fact, I know I did because I offered him one and @shiney suggested if we both made it to shineyland this year I could give it to him...
    Fairly sure I mentioned this to JS in another thread ... in fact, I know I did because I offered him one and @shiney suggested if we both made it to shineyland this year I could give it to him there (ever practical our shiney!)
    Fairly sure I mentioned this to JS in another thread ... in fact, I know I did because I offered him one and @shiney suggested if we both made it to shineyland this year I could give it to him there (ever practical our shiney!)
    Fairly sure I mentioned this to JS in another thread ... in fact, I know I did because I offered him one and @shiney suggested if we both made it to shineyland this year I could give it to him...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. The Unusual Fruit Garden
    Like x 8

Whiskey Barrel Planter x2 Styles

Hi @BeeHappy you can purchase them on ebay mate, as i've seen them being sold on there plus some garden centre's do them but like pots but i'd go down the ebay road :snorky:
    Hi @BeeHappy you can purchase them on ebay mate, as i've seen them being sold on there plus some garden centre's do them but like pots but i'd go down the ebay road :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Loki
    Like x 3

I would like a plant with' Hilda' in its name, any ideas?

Already have Mike :blue thumb: But theirs nothing like a personal recommendation, is there? Thanks for the advice though :)
    Already have Mike :blue thumb: But theirs nothing like a personal recommendation, is there? Thanks for the advice though :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 4

Blue Flower Displays

Here in Cornwall hibiscus grows well and fast. Given sunshine, good drainage and reasonable shelter my hibiscus flowers in mid to late August
    Here in Cornwall hibiscus grows well and fast. Given sunshine, good drainage and reasonable shelter my hibiscus flowers in mid to late August
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. freeflow

what size pots for trees

With trees it's best to get the largest pot you can. I favour the black plastic ones. So if at any time you decide it needs a larger one, the tree can be pulled out more easily than you would a...
    With trees it's best to get the largest pot you can. I favour the black plastic ones. So if at any time you decide it needs a larger one, the tree can be pulled out more easily than you would a terracotta one..Also if they're on a patio they are easier to drag around. Some come with handles...
    With trees it's best to get the largest pot you can. I favour the black plastic ones. So if at any time you decide it needs a larger one, the tree can be pulled out more easily than you would a terracotta one..Also if they're on a patio they...
    With trees it's best to get the largest pot you can. I favour the black plastic ones. So if at any time you decide it needs a larger one, the tree can be pulled out more easily than you would a...
    DSCF4156 (465x1024).jpg June 2010 103 (2).jpg June 2010 081.jpg P1060577.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Jack Sparrow

Creating a winter container display

@HarryS I've just looked that plant up there's some nice varieties in them :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jack Sparrow

Crysanthemum propagation.

Exactly what I would do, and do do Gary. Their roots will be tightly congested so remember to loosen them after flowering ......don't be afraid to do this even if you think you are wrecking them....
    Exactly what I would do, and do do Gary. Their roots will be tightly congested so remember to loosen them after flowering ......don't be afraid to do this even if you think you are wrecking them. Even if wet, water thoroughly. I would keep outside for as long as possible but take indoors...
    Exactly what I would do, and do do Gary. Their roots will be tightly congested so remember to loosen them after flowering ......don't be afraid to do this even if you think you are wrecking them. Even if wet, water thoroughly. I would keep...
    Exactly what I would do, and do do Gary. Their roots will be tightly congested so remember to loosen them after flowering ......don't be afraid to do this even if you think you are wrecking them....
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 5

Spilled over flower displays

Me again, thinking out loud. Are chrysanthemum perennial? I've always thrown them away. Garden Centres etc are selling a lot of them off cheap. The article I referred to above paired the stonecrop...
    Me again, thinking out loud. Are chrysanthemum perennial? I've always thrown them away. Garden Centres etc are selling a lot of them off cheap. The article I referred to above paired the stonecrop and chrysanthemum in its photo.G.
    Me again, thinking out loud. Are chrysanthemum perennial? I've always thrown them away. Garden Centres etc are selling a lot of them off cheap. The article I referred to above paired the stonecrop and chrysanthemum in its photo.G.
    Me again, thinking out loud. Are chrysanthemum perennial? I've always thrown them away. Garden Centres etc are selling a lot of them off cheap. The article I referred to above paired the stonecrop...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. 2nd_bassoon

Tub ideas

@"M" Love it, :snorky: that looks just sooo like me today LOL :loll: so many choices:spinning: .....so little time :scratch:
    @"M" Love it, :snorky: that looks just sooo like me today LOL :loll: so many choices:spinning: .....so little time :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. clanless

Coco liners for hanging baskets - top tip

Harry, completely agree. My lobelia is usually lovely in a hanging basket, but this year it has been thin, weedy and late to flower in its coir basket. Hopefully y now I can keep the nice look of...
    Harry, completely agree. My lobelia is usually lovely in a hanging basket, but this year it has been thin, weedy and late to flower in its coir basket. Hopefully y now I can keep the nice look of coir and have brimming baskets next year!
    Harry, completely agree. My lobelia is usually lovely in a hanging basket, but this year it has been thin, weedy and late to flower in its coir basket. Hopefully y now I can keep the nice look of coir and have brimming baskets next year!
    Harry, completely agree. My lobelia is usually lovely in a hanging basket, but this year it has been thin, weedy and late to flower in its coir basket. Hopefully y now I can keep the nice look of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. karaman

What size of pot for a fig?

I have before made figs in port sauce. Goes very well duck. I ate it once at an hotel restaurant and decided to make it myself when I get home. Also included butternut squash puree. I did have a...
    I have before made figs in port sauce. Goes very well duck. I ate it once at an hotel restaurant and decided to make it myself when I get home. Also included butternut squash puree. I did have a photo of it but I must have deleted it. It was lovely. Very colourful too.G.
    I have before made figs in port sauce. Goes very well duck. I ate it once at an hotel restaurant and decided to make it myself when I get home. Also included butternut squash puree. I did have a photo of it but I must have deleted it. It was...
    I have before made figs in port sauce. Goes very well duck. I ate it once at an hotel restaurant and decided to make it myself when I get home. Also included butternut squash puree. I did have a...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options