Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Paul Blackburn

Honeysuckle in a container

I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a...
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a awesome neighbor friend that has one in a container for years. she lets it ramble on her deck.
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a awesome neighbor friend that has one in a...
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Hstevens

Question about repotting a Japanese Maple

Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by that you mean gently untangled and spread them out??Lot's of gardeners have lots of different...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by that you mean gently untangled and spread them...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Stephen1986

Acer Tree: Help Please

I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing season, so it might not recover, but I hope I'm wrong.You might find a compost mixture of three...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing season, so it might not recover, but I hope I'm...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Nikolaos

Would this choisya be fine in this container?

Yes, best to stick to your friend number 3 :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. tangham

Peonies in containers.

I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil became eroded and disappeared, the more the corm was exposed, and hey presto......flowers for the...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil became eroded and disappeared, the more the corm...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Howard Stone

Best compost for container shrubs

John Innes for me every time.:) John innes holds moisture and nutrients better than mpc I think. However, I adjust according to the plant. Most Alpines have as much as 50% grit or perlite added...
    John Innes for me every time.:) John innes holds moisture and nutrients better than mpc I think. However, I adjust according to the plant. Most Alpines have as much as 50% grit or perlite added for example. Greedy plants have dried manure, chicken pellets, compost added Research what every...
    John Innes for me every time.:) John innes holds moisture and nutrients better than mpc I think. However, I adjust according to the plant. Most Alpines have as much as 50% grit or perlite added for example. Greedy plants have dried manure,...
    John Innes for me every time.:) John innes holds moisture and nutrients better than mpc I think. However, I adjust according to the plant. Most Alpines have as much as 50% grit or perlite added...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. OrganicGarden

Please help - potted Agastache dying back

Getting the bug Nikalaos :) Yep, all astrantias will enjoy heavy clay soil. Jumble Hole is a great white one, Roma a good pink, etc.,but there are lots of varieties out there now:) Bowles Mauve? ...
    Getting the bug Nikalaos :) Yep, all astrantias will enjoy heavy clay soil. Jumble Hole is a great white one, Roma a good pink, etc.,but there are lots of varieties out there now:) Bowles Mauve? Great for a couple of years or so then flowering dwindles. It’s another plant to take cuttings from...
    Getting the bug Nikalaos :) Yep, all astrantias will enjoy heavy clay soil. Jumble Hole is a great white one, Roma a good pink, etc.,but there are lots of varieties out there now:) Bowles Mauve? Great for a couple of years or so then flowering...
    Getting the bug Nikalaos :) Yep, all astrantias will enjoy heavy clay soil. Jumble Hole is a great white one, Roma a good pink, etc.,but there are lots of varieties out there now:) Bowles Mauve? ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ashley1234

Cordyline going yellow

Ok , I leave them to drop naturally and just talk to it !
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Delta

What causes acers to change colour?

Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much older soil and top dressed etc. CarolineL - thanks so much for that encouragement on its health, as...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much older soil and top dressed etc. CarolineL - thanks...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Howard Stone

How do you make Magnolia Grandiflora in containers come into flower?

Just given mine a good dose of slow release high potash fertiliser, fingers crossed.
    Just given mine a good dose of slow release high potash fertiliser, fingers crossed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Howard Stone

Non Biodegradable Pot Liners

I had a big problem removing box topiary, I really don’t want to go through it again!But it looks as though not all plants attach themselves to the terracotta.
    I had a big problem removing box topiary, I really don’t want to go through it again!But it looks as though not all plants attach themselves to the terracotta.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Who am I?

I need to buy a big tub for a Phyllostachys nigra.

Thanks for the link mazambo.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. NessaJ70

Planting ideas for large pot on patio

Oh that's great Nessa. Pleased you found something you're happy with. Which is after all the main objective! Good for you :hapflowers2:
    Oh that's great Nessa. Pleased you found something you're happy with. Which is after all the main objective! Good for you :hapflowers2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. mazambo

Wilko tub and basket compost

Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat +...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat + gel and food for 6 weeks, not going to freak about it, it'll be used up because I've got it but i...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat + gel and food for 6 weeks, not going to freak about...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat +...
    20190603_184923.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Dave_79

Tyre Planters

Tyres can be used to create ponds too. I think there was someone on here awhile back who did that. I remember the photos but not the member's name.
    Tyres can be used to create ponds too. I think there was someone on here awhile back who did that. I remember the photos but not the member's name.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Leanne2511

Container sizes for burying these plants?

I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.The plants you have put in, how long have they...
    I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.The plants you have put in, how long have they been planted? 2 weeks? I suggest the root balls have dried out, once dry, they are difficult to re...
    I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.The plants you have put in, how long have they been planted? 2 weeks? I suggest the root balls...
    I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.The plants you have put in, how long have they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Lillybell

Olive tree - brown leaf tips Help please

Ok thank you @pete you’ve been a great help to me
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. RyanOtekki

Acer not growing

Looks to me like the new growth is being killed off by cold winds. I think that is often a problem with Acers, they like a sheltered position away from hot sun in summer and winds when the new...
    Looks to me like the new growth is being killed off by cold winds. I think that is often a problem with Acers, they like a sheltered position away from hot sun in summer and winds when the new foliage is forming in spring.
    Looks to me like the new growth is being killed off by cold winds. I think that is often a problem with Acers, they like a sheltered position away from hot sun in summer and winds when the new foliage is forming in spring.
    Looks to me like the new growth is being killed off by cold winds. I think that is often a problem with Acers, they like a sheltered position away from hot sun in summer and winds when the new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mazambo

Bacopa snowtonia

Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their...
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their current pots until the end of May, they do have an awful lot of roots in there?
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their current pots until the end of May, they do have an...
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their...
    20190426_132114.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Markymark

Shrubs for shade?

Hey! Excellent. Enjoy your rum...have one for me :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice