1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 4

Spilled over flower displays

:scratch: We're supposed to shake them out? :dunno: Oops! :redface: :whistle: :heehee:
    :scratch: We're supposed to shake them out? :dunno: Oops! :redface: :whistle: :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. karaman

What size of pot for a fig?

They are ready to pick when basically they are bulging with juice and as Verdun says, often have a crack in the skin and a bubble of juice oozing out.
    They are ready to pick when basically they are bulging with juice and as Verdun says, often have a crack in the skin and a bubble of juice oozing out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Black Orchid

Red leaf patio peach trees with green shoots at the bottom

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you very much.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Jack Sparrow

Can I grow a climbing plant from a container?

Dig two holes to put in two uprights, buy a trellis panel for that size. Attach one side of the trellis to one post with hinges and attach the other side to the 2nd post with a gate catch. Buy...
    Dig two holes to put in two uprights, buy a trellis panel for that size. Attach one side of the trellis to one post with hinges and attach the other side to the 2nd post with a gate catch. Buy some fake ivy to cover the trellis panel Voila! Eyesore hidden, immediate and year round cover;...
    Dig two holes to put in two uprights, buy a trellis panel for that size. Attach one side of the trellis to one post with hinges and attach the other side to the 2nd post with a gate catch. Buy some fake ivy to cover the trellis panel Voila! ...
    Dig two holes to put in two uprights, buy a trellis panel for that size. Attach one side of the trellis to one post with hinges and attach the other side to the 2nd post with a gate catch. Buy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Black Orchid

Peony leaves have wilted. What to do?

Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Thank you very much.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Black Orchid

Any advice for planting red leaf patio peach trees now?

Thank you all for the replies. I will plant them tomorrow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. chris_elevate

Where can I buy these?

Perfect! Thanks for that. Managed to find a small packet on eBay and they've now arrived. I had no idea what they were! Thanks again.
    Perfect! Thanks for that. Managed to find a small packet on eBay and they've now arrived. I had no idea what they were! Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wiseowl
    Like x 8

Attraction In June

That is a cheery looking pond with its *splash* of colour (pun intended :heehee: ). :thumbsup::doh: Wish I'd thought of that and brought some from my old garden pond :doh:
    That is a cheery looking pond with its *splash* of colour (pun intended :heehee: ). :thumbsup::doh: Wish I'd thought of that and brought some from my old garden pond :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. laurence peddle

Prunus royal burgundy in containers

Thanks Verdun. They are out of stock at the moment, but hopefully not for long. Thanks again. Cheers, Laurence
    Thanks Verdun. They are out of stock at the moment, but hopefully not for long. Thanks again. Cheers, Laurence
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. DannyB

Container plant identification?

Google Cranesbill NurseryHave a look at that site. Some of those Cranesbill varieties look great in containers, as they tend to form large, rounded balls of flower. You could inter-plant them...
    Google Cranesbill NurseryHave a look at that site. Some of those Cranesbill varieties look great in containers, as they tend to form large, rounded balls of flower. You could inter-plant them with taller species to get a similar effect to that which you see in those images.HTHWobbly-John :blue thumb:
    Google Cranesbill NurseryHave a look at that site. Some of those Cranesbill varieties look great in containers, as they tend to form large, rounded balls of flower. You could inter-plant them with taller species to get a similar effect to that...
    Google Cranesbill NurseryHave a look at that site. Some of those Cranesbill varieties look great in containers, as they tend to form large, rounded balls of flower. You could inter-plant them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. nightofjoy

Companion plants for potted Ceanothus

You dont say what variety of ceanothus you have nightofjoy.......they vary from low mounds to trees, Trewithen Blue for example. All ceanothus are fairly fast growers and relatively short lived....
    You dont say what variety of ceanothus you have nightofjoy.......they vary from low mounds to trees, Trewithen Blue for example. All ceanothus are fairly fast growers and relatively short lived. None of them like to be pruned apart from light trimming. None of them are really container...
    You dont say what variety of ceanothus you have nightofjoy.......they vary from low mounds to trees, Trewithen Blue for example. All ceanothus are fairly fast growers and relatively short lived. None of them like to be pruned apart from light...
    You dont say what variety of ceanothus you have nightofjoy.......they vary from low mounds to trees, Trewithen Blue for example. All ceanothus are fairly fast growers and relatively short lived....
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. karaman

Apple and Plum - what rootstock?

thank you - no expert but you know an awful lot more than i do! thanks again, will do. karaman
    thank you - no expert but you know an awful lot more than i do! thanks again, will do. karaman
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Black Orchid

Urgent advice is required!!

My thoughts would be that that is not the rootstock, but I'm no expert and stand to be corrected.
    My thoughts would be that that is not the rootstock, but I'm no expert and stand to be corrected.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. luciusmaximus

Decisions,

I did know about the Honeysuckle, but I only bought it last summer and as Clueless1 has said its intent on going vertical at moment. I'm not sure yet whether it will remain in the pot. Just...
    I did know about the Honeysuckle, but I only bought it last summer and as Clueless1 has said its intent on going vertical at moment. I'm not sure yet whether it will remain in the pot. Just thought a little extra colour is never a bad thing. I'm thinking annuals might work now.
    I did know about the Honeysuckle, but I only bought it last summer and as Clueless1 has said its intent on going vertical at moment. I'm not sure yet whether it will remain in the pot. Just thought a little extra colour is never a bad thing. I'm...
    I did know about the Honeysuckle, but I only bought it last summer and as Clueless1 has said its intent on going vertical at moment. I'm not sure yet whether it will remain in the pot. Just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. DoubleMM

Tree Lupin

Thanks Pete - a bigger pot then for the time being. Unfortunately I have this habit of buying things that I see without considering where on earth I'm going to put them!:)
    Thanks Pete - a bigger pot then for the time being. Unfortunately I have this habit of buying things that I see without considering where on earth I'm going to put them!:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Kimberley
    Like x 7

Fairy Garden

I can imagine!!.....................As if there isn't enough to do in the garden!
    I can imagine!!.....................As if there isn't enough to do in the garden!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. clanless

Recommednations please

Dwarf Pieris with a couple of Heucheras would look good.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. The Early Bushman

Granular fertilizer in containers

I use Growmore in containers for a spring feed . As above just a light sprinkling is OK - then lightly work it in with the point of a trowel .
    I use Growmore in containers for a spring feed . As above just a light sprinkling is OK - then lightly work it in with the point of a trowel .
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. FloraPie
    Like x 4

Pomegranate Potted

@pete :heehee: Yes, I realized after I posted.. what it sounded like. And of course it would have an excellent chance of fruiting if the seed came from a fruit. I edited the post with the word 'big'....
    @pete :heehee: Yes, I realized after I posted.. what it sounded like. And of course it would have an excellent chance of fruiting if the seed came from a fruit. I edited the post with the word 'big'. Being potted and all, I just don't want to see small inedible fruit. Thank you for being SO tactful with...
    @pete :heehee: Yes, I realized after I posted.. what it sounded like. And of course it would have an excellent chance of fruiting if the seed came from a fruit. I edited the post with the word 'big'. Being potted and all, I just don't want to see small...
    @pete :heehee: Yes, I realized after I posted.. what it sounded like. And of course it would have an excellent chance of fruiting if the seed came from a fruit. I edited the post with the word 'big'....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Wobblycogs

Ideas please for my new container.

@Wobblycogs How did your container planting go and what did you end up putting in it? Would love to see it :biggrin:
    @Wobblycogs How did your container planting go and what did you end up putting in it? Would love to see it :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options