1. Forum News
    VOTING IS NOW OPEN FOR THE SEPTEMBER MONTHLY COMP ( last one for a while) and ALSO THE 30 DAY COMP.., Photo Competitions Are Changing!
    Please Support The Road Verge Campaign!
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Nikolaos

Drainage In Containers

I only really worry about drainage of plants that are likely to stand outdoors all winter, things that are out in summer but undercover in winter just get extra grit added to the compost when...
    I only really worry about drainage of plants that are likely to stand outdoors all winter, things that are out in summer but undercover in winter just get extra grit added to the compost when potting depending on plant. Usually in summer, in plants other than succulents, out doors, getting...
    I only really worry about drainage of plants that are likely to stand outdoors all winter, things that are out in summer but undercover in winter just get extra grit added to the compost when potting depending on plant. Usually in summer, in...
    I only really worry about drainage of plants that are likely to stand outdoors all winter, things that are out in summer but undercover in winter just get extra grit added to the compost when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Thomas stock

Bamboo planter advice please

Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build for them? I was thinking about 2no, 1.5m x 300mm x 400mm in height.Will have removable back for...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build for them? I was thinking about 2no, 1.5m x 300mm...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build...
    20191005_143705.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Callum-91

Salix Hakuro-Nishiki: Help Needed

Hello All,We recently bought a lovely Salix from the garden centre a month ago. The leaves on the plant were deep green and thick. Now sadly it appears that the tree is struggling as it's...
    Hello All,We recently bought a lovely Salix from the garden centre a month ago. The leaves on the plant were deep green and thick. Now sadly it appears that the tree is struggling as it's going brown. Is this one of the trees where new growth will happen when it’s ready or is the tree dying?
    Hello All,We recently bought a lovely Salix from the garden centre a month ago. The leaves on the plant were deep green and thick. Now sadly it appears that the tree is struggling as it's going brown. Is this one of the trees where new...
    Hello All,We recently bought a lovely Salix from the garden centre a month ago. The leaves on the plant were deep green and thick. Now sadly it appears that the tree is struggling as it's...
    E10C999B-A781-4872-8C53-21C7BEBBC244.jpeg 1B9FD5A1-728B-4408-A0CE-A05E6BAACE08.jpeg B3C133DF-4895-4A0E-9F96-D3B15E8E43BA.jpeg EA3D975B-66A8-4966-8E19-A3AFB72BC609.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Loki
    Like x 3

Spring bulbs..... in pots. What are you all planning?

I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. ...
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. Have to ponder this.
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. Have to ponder this.
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Nikolaos

Potting Eryngium

The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not just colour but shape and form too using contrasting or complementary plantings. On paper, I make...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not just colour but shape and form too using...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Paul Blackburn

Honeysuckle in a container

I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a...
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a awesome neighbor friend that has one in a container for years. she lets it ramble on her deck.
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a awesome neighbor friend that has one in a...
    I have a wonderful honeysuckle, had for years, that goes nicely on my deck corner railing. it is a certain type of honeysuckle that keeps itself tame. so be careful what your planting. have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Hstevens

Question about repotting a Japanese Maple

Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by that you mean gently untangled and spread them out??Lot's of gardeners have lots of different...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by that you mean gently untangled and spread them...
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.I take it, Hstevens, by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Stephen1986

Acer Tree: Help Please

I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing season, so it might not recover, but I hope I'm wrong.You might find a compost mixture of three...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing season, so it might not recover, but I hope I'm...
    I agree with all the expert opinions and advice given, Stephen, but, as Spruce said, taking the tree out to inspect the roots will probably have a negative effect, especially during the growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Nikolaos

Would this choisya be fine in this container?

Yes, best to stick to your friend number 3 :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. tangham

Peonies in containers.

I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil became eroded and disappeared, the more the corm was exposed, and hey presto......flowers for the...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil became eroded and disappeared, the more the corm...
    I have a couple in 20l pots and used general multi purpose with added sand. They did not flower for the 1st 3-4 years so gave up on them. I neglected them and of course as the top of the pot soil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Howard Stone

Best compost for container shrubs

John Innes for me every time.:) John innes holds moisture and nutrients better than mpc I think. However, I adjust according to the plant. Most Alpines have as much as 50% grit or perlite added...
    John Innes for me every time.:) John innes holds moisture and nutrients better than mpc I think. However, I adjust according to the plant. Most Alpines have as much as 50% grit or perlite added for example. Greedy plants have dried manure, chicken pellets, compost added Research what every...
    John Innes for me every time.:) John innes holds moisture and nutrients better than mpc I think. However, I adjust according to the plant. Most Alpines have as much as 50% grit or perlite added for example. Greedy plants have dried manure,...
    John Innes for me every time.:) John innes holds moisture and nutrients better than mpc I think. However, I adjust according to the plant. Most Alpines have as much as 50% grit or perlite added...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. OrganicGarden

Please help - potted Agastache dying back

Getting the bug Nikalaos :) Yep, all astrantias will enjoy heavy clay soil. Jumble Hole is a great white one, Roma a good pink, etc.,but there are lots of varieties out there now:) Bowles Mauve? ...
    Getting the bug Nikalaos :) Yep, all astrantias will enjoy heavy clay soil. Jumble Hole is a great white one, Roma a good pink, etc.,but there are lots of varieties out there now:) Bowles Mauve? Great for a couple of years or so then flowering dwindles. It’s another plant to take cuttings from...
    Getting the bug Nikalaos :) Yep, all astrantias will enjoy heavy clay soil. Jumble Hole is a great white one, Roma a good pink, etc.,but there are lots of varieties out there now:) Bowles Mauve? Great for a couple of years or so then flowering...
    Getting the bug Nikalaos :) Yep, all astrantias will enjoy heavy clay soil. Jumble Hole is a great white one, Roma a good pink, etc.,but there are lots of varieties out there now:) Bowles Mauve? ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ashley1234

Cordyline going yellow

Ok , I leave them to drop naturally and just talk to it !
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Delta

What causes acers to change colour?

Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much older soil and top dressed etc. CarolineL - thanks so much for that encouragement on its health, as...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much older soil and top dressed etc. CarolineL - thanks...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Howard Stone

How do you make Magnolia Grandiflora in containers come into flower?

Just given mine a good dose of slow release high potash fertiliser, fingers crossed.
    Just given mine a good dose of slow release high potash fertiliser, fingers crossed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Howard Stone

Non Biodegradable Pot Liners

I had a big problem removing box topiary, I really don’t want to go through it again!But it looks as though not all plants attach themselves to the terracotta.
    I had a big problem removing box topiary, I really don’t want to go through it again!But it looks as though not all plants attach themselves to the terracotta.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Who am I?

I need to buy a big tub for a Phyllostachys nigra.

Thanks for the link mazambo.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. NessaJ70

Planting ideas for large pot on patio

Oh that's great Nessa. Pleased you found something you're happy with. Which is after all the main objective! Good for you :hapflowers2:
    Oh that's great Nessa. Pleased you found something you're happy with. Which is after all the main objective! Good for you :hapflowers2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mazambo

Wilko tub and basket compost

Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat +...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat + gel and food for 6 weeks, not going to freak about it, it'll be used up because I've got it but i...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat + gel and food for 6 weeks, not going to freak about...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat +...
    20190603_184923.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dave_79

Tyre Planters

Tyres can be used to create ponds too. I think there was someone on here awhile back who did that. I remember the photos but not the member's name.
    Tyres can be used to create ponds too. I think there was someone on here awhile back who did that. I remember the photos but not the member's name.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice