1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. JayKay70

Look for some advice on plants/flowers for containers

Hi @SelleriMany thanks for the detailed information, a few things.I won't be doing any herbs or growing strawberries as my wife has a residential allotment and that is her passion.I do like...
    Hi @SelleriMany thanks for the detailed information, a few things.I won't be doing any herbs or growing strawberries as my wife has a residential allotment and that is her passion.I do like the look of the evergreens so i had a look on J Parkers and i do like the look of the...
    Hi @SelleriMany thanks for the detailed information, a few things.I won't be doing any herbs or growing strawberries as my wife has a residential allotment and that is her passion.I do like the look of the evergreens so i had a look on J...
    Hi @SelleriMany thanks for the detailed information, a few things.I won't be doing any herbs or growing strawberries as my wife has a residential allotment and that is her passion.I do like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Victoria

Hanging Baskets

I remedied the Lipstick one by using a used J-Cloth and the Aptenia one I managed to spread the coir out to fill the gap.
    I remedied the Lipstick one by using a used J-Cloth and the Aptenia one I managed to spread the coir out to fill the gap.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Cordy
    Like x 12

Made this planter

Made another planter Gave it to Son's in-laws
    DSC_0004 (1).JPG DSC_0010 (2).JPG DSC_0011 (1).JPG DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG planter1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Will Hay

Looking for a plant that would do well in this pot

Hi, where are you located? perhaps a trailing Begonia.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Bron

UNHAPPY MORELLO CHERRY TREE

Great, thanks for your advice, I’ll give a go
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Samantha Onn

Container sizes

Welcome to Gardener's Corner @Samantha Onn :sign0016:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Alpine 1

Why is peat free wet with soil meter?

Exactly.I've read a number of articles around the internet where people are complaining that peat free compost doesn't work so well. My interpretation is that peat free compost doesn't work so...
    Exactly.I've read a number of articles around the internet where people are complaining that peat free compost doesn't work so well. My interpretation is that peat free compost doesn't work so well if you treat it exactly the same as peat based. I guess it just introduces a new learning...
    Exactly.I've read a number of articles around the internet where people are complaining that peat free compost doesn't work so well. My interpretation is that peat free compost doesn't work so well if you treat it exactly the same as peat...
    Exactly.I've read a number of articles around the internet where people are complaining that peat free compost doesn't work so well. My interpretation is that peat free compost doesn't work so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. hi2u_uk

is this big enough to transfer to the garden soil

Its only been going outside for 3 or hours but yes it is kept at the window most of the tome
    Its only been going outside for 3 or hours but yes it is kept at the window most of the tome
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. narelle

oak barrel planter help??

I have a huge plastic planter , it comes up to my mid thigh, and is about 2 1/2 foot in diameter. even with "plastic" I put empty plastic pots upside down on the bottom, then the soil, it...
    I have a huge plastic planter , it comes up to my mid thigh, and is about 2 1/2 foot in diameter. even with "plastic" I put empty plastic pots upside down on the bottom, then the soil, it takes some to move it about when I want to cut grass or something around it. I have a tomato cage...
    I have a huge plastic planter , it comes up to my mid thigh, and is about 2 1/2 foot in diameter. even with "plastic" I put empty plastic pots upside down on the bottom, then the soil, it takes some to move it about when I want to cut grass...
    I have a huge plastic planter , it comes up to my mid thigh, and is about 2 1/2 foot in diameter. even with "plastic" I put empty plastic pots upside down on the bottom, then the soil, it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ricky101

Tree Lily division ?

I think I would divide them now as they have been in that pot for a while. Be careful though as lilies start early into growth abd the young shoots are fragile. I divided some Lilium henryii early...
    I think I would divide them now as they have been in that pot for a while. Be careful though as lilies start early into growth abd the young shoots are fragile. I divided some Lilium henryii early Feb and shoots were just below the surface and I broke a couple. You should be able to tease the...
    I think I would divide them now as they have been in that pot for a while. Be careful though as lilies start early into growth abd the young shoots are fragile. I divided some Lilium henryii early Feb and shoots were just below the surface and I...
    I think I would divide them now as they have been in that pot for a while. Be careful though as lilies start early into growth abd the young shoots are fragile. I divided some Lilium henryii early...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ricky101

Alstromeria over wintering

@ricky101 I've never grown them either but my son has 4 or 5 in pots in his back garden. I think 3 are from previous years, 'Indian Summer' being one I particularly remember. As the last few...
    @ricky101 I've never grown them either but my son has 4 or 5 in pots in his back garden. I think 3 are from previous years, 'Indian Summer' being one I particularly remember. As the last few winters have been pretty mild I have no idea if his 5 plants will have survived the terribly cold period...
    @ricky101 I've never grown them either but my son has 4 or 5 in pots in his back garden. I think 3 are from previous years, 'Indian Summer' being one I particularly remember. As the last few winters have been pretty mild I have no idea if his 5...
    @ricky101 I've never grown them either but my son has 4 or 5 in pots in his back garden. I think 3 are from previous years, 'Indian Summer' being one I particularly remember. As the last few...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kitte

Blue Nemesia.

I haven´t grown these plants before but if they have survived the temps you say then I would say leave things well alone till the spring when you could probably cut them back.
    I haven´t grown these plants before but if they have survived the temps you say then I would say leave things well alone till the spring when you could probably cut them back.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Cordy
    Like x 11

Made these planters

Very creative and great useful items Cordy and Esoxlucius. Well done both. :star::star:
    Very creative and great useful items Cordy and Esoxlucius. Well done both. :star::star:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Ystalyfera

Dwarf Patio royal burgundy cherry tree leaves

Its probably winding down now for winter, if the leaves are still looking green or have autumn colour starting then I wouldn't worry.I would consider replanting in John Innes compost if you...
    Its probably winding down now for winter, if the leaves are still looking green or have autumn colour starting then I wouldn't worry.I would consider replanting in John Innes compost if you only have it in multipurpose at the moment.
    Its probably winding down now for winter, if the leaves are still looking green or have autumn colour starting then I wouldn't worry.I would consider replanting in John Innes compost if you only have it in multipurpose at the moment.
    Its probably winding down now for winter, if the leaves are still looking green or have autumn colour starting then I wouldn't worry.I would consider replanting in John Innes compost if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Gn0me

Planters too small for roses? Alternatives?

I've seen plants in very bad condition this week in several shops in town, I just want to gather them all up bring them home & nurse them back to heath!
    I've seen plants in very bad condition this week in several shops in town, I just want to gather them all up bring them home & nurse them back to heath!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Howard Stone

Should I move this Magnolia grandiflora to a bigger container?

There are quite substantial trees in the famous Roof Gardens in Kensington -- I remember once seeing an interview with a gardener there who talked about how these things can grow in shallow soil...
    There are quite substantial trees in the famous Roof Gardens in Kensington -- I remember once seeing an interview with a gardener there who talked about how these things can grow in shallow soil if they are treated well. Here's a video.Aerial Filming in London - Kensington Roof Gardens...
    There are quite substantial trees in the famous Roof Gardens in Kensington -- I remember once seeing an interview with a gardener there who talked about how these things can grow in shallow soil if they are treated well. Here's a video.Aerial...
    There are quite substantial trees in the famous Roof Gardens in Kensington -- I remember once seeing an interview with a gardener there who talked about how these things can grow in shallow soil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hi2u_uk

10-10-10 and 8-8-8 fertiliser

It looks well enough to me without feeding this year. Make sure it gets lots of sunshine to ripen that new wood.
    It looks well enough to me without feeding this year. Make sure it gets lots of sunshine to ripen that new wood.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. welshone

Compost - Musa Baajoo Banna Plant

I split my basjoo up last year, it hadn't been doing much for a few years. It's got less stems now but I think it looks better. The dry ground is holding it back now and I'm not really...
    I split my basjoo up last year, it hadn't been doing much for a few years. It's got less stems now but I think it looks better. The dry ground is holding it back now and I'm not really prepared to waste much water on it. I just think they use up all the nutrients and are better moved after...
    I split my basjoo up last year, it hadn't been doing much for a few years. It's got less stems now but I think it looks better. The dry ground is holding it back now and I'm not really prepared to waste much water on it. I just think they...
    I split my basjoo up last year, it hadn't been doing much for a few years. It's got less stems now but I think it looks better. The dry ground is holding it back now and I'm not really...
    20220715_215601.jpg 20220718_104611.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Geoff68

Clematis in a pot

Thank you @Selleri I feel a little better now. I'll look out for one and cross my fingers!
    Thank you @Selleri I feel a little better now. I'll look out for one and cross my fingers!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Nikolaos

Myrtus communis in a container, what does it need?

Thanks so much for that, Hazel! :) The only problem I seem to have when using my garden soil rather than a proper JI mix is that unlike the latter, it turns almost concrete-like if left dry long...
    Thanks so much for that, Hazel! :) The only problem I seem to have when using my garden soil rather than a proper JI mix is that unlike the latter, it turns almost concrete-like if left dry long enough! :doh: So I'm guessing I'm adding a little too much to my container mixes ATM...Nick
    Thanks so much for that, Hazel! :) The only problem I seem to have when using my garden soil rather than a proper JI mix is that unlike the latter, it turns almost concrete-like if left dry long enough! :doh: So I'm guessing I'm adding a little too much...
    Thanks so much for that, Hazel! :) The only problem I seem to have when using my garden soil rather than a proper JI mix is that unlike the latter, it turns almost concrete-like if left dry long...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice