Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. daznjo

What to do when tubs are finished ?

On the Beechgrove gardening program they planted Spring bulbs in tubs in multiple layers (the container must have been STUFFED!!) to get a succession. Seemed like a good idea, but I've not tried it.
    On the Beechgrove gardening program they planted Spring bulbs in tubs in multiple layers (the container must have been STUFFED!!) to get a succession. Seemed like a good idea, but I've not tried it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Steingerd

Climbers in Containers

Hello :) Anything in a container would usually need a bit more tlc as containers will dry out more easily. Not sure about drought tolerant climbers, but I have some Clematis in 50cm diameter...
    Hello :) Anything in a container would usually need a bit more tlc as containers will dry out more easily. Not sure about drought tolerant climbers, but I have some Clematis in 50cm diameter planters (so their roots can reach a decent size) but I don't think they would cope with being...
    Hello :) Anything in a container would usually need a bit more tlc as containers will dry out more easily. Not sure about drought tolerant climbers, but I have some Clematis in 50cm diameter planters (so their roots can reach a decent size) but...
    Hello :) Anything in a container would usually need a bit more tlc as containers will dry out more easily. Not sure about drought tolerant climbers, but I have some Clematis in 50cm diameter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Folly Mon
    Like x 4

New Plant Pot

:wub2: i love Him
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. vicky

Planting up a balcony

Balcony gardening can be fun.. I would try & think of things you like to eat most & grow things that you like most that are quite expensive to buy but you are able to grow on your balcony... :SUNsmile:...
    Balcony gardening can be fun.. I would try & think of things you like to eat most & grow things that you like most that are quite expensive to buy but you are able to grow on your balcony... :SUNsmile: This is quite interesting & this one too too.. Do you have glass or brick sides, if glass they would...
    Balcony gardening can be fun.. I would try & think of things you like to eat most & grow things that you like most that are quite expensive to buy but you are able to grow on your balcony... :SUNsmile: This is quite interesting & this one too too.. Do you...
    Balcony gardening can be fun.. I would try & think of things you like to eat most & grow things that you like most that are quite expensive to buy but you are able to grow on your balcony... :SUNsmile:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. cirrus

Can I save my money plant?

You may have a point here : it's in a conservatory and was right next to the glass on that side. I've since moved to the center of the room and tomorrow will put outside in the daytime -...
    You may have a point here : it's in a conservatory and was right next to the glass on that side. I've since moved to the center of the room and tomorrow will put outside in the daytime - hopefully the breeze will help dry it out some.
    You may have a point here : it's in a conservatory and was right next to the glass on that side. I've since moved to the center of the room and tomorrow will put outside in the daytime - hopefully the breeze will help dry it out some.
    You may have a point here : it's in a conservatory and was right next to the glass on that side. I've since moved to the center of the room and tomorrow will put outside in the daytime -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Gay Gardener

Border perennials in containers?

No problem Fens. I have loads of perennials in containers - I don't have any space for them. I hate throwing them away, so I hang on hoping that someone wants one. I suspect that they don't grow...
    No problem Fens. I have loads of perennials in containers - I don't have any space for them. I hate throwing them away, so I hang on hoping that someone wants one. I suspect that they don't grow as fast in a container, and therefore don't necessarily get pot bound.
    No problem Fens. I have loads of perennials in containers - I don't have any space for them. I hate throwing them away, so I hang on hoping that someone wants one. I suspect that they don't grow as fast in a container, and therefore don't...
    No problem Fens. I have loads of perennials in containers - I don't have any space for them. I hate throwing them away, so I hang on hoping that someone wants one. I suspect that they don't grow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. florrie

Tips for moisture retention in containers

I've not tried this one yet, I got the idea having received an order of shrubs recently. The roots of said shrubs were wrapped in polythene, but inside the polythene was lots of damp old...
    I've not tried this one yet, I got the idea having received an order of shrubs recently. The roots of said shrubs were wrapped in polythene, but inside the polythene was lots of damp old newspaper. So, for my containers this year, I think I might line them with a few sheets of old newspaper. In...
    I've not tried this one yet, I got the idea having received an order of shrubs recently. The roots of said shrubs were wrapped in polythene, but inside the polythene was lots of damp old newspaper. So, for my containers this year, I think I might...
    I've not tried this one yet, I got the idea having received an order of shrubs recently. The roots of said shrubs were wrapped in polythene, but inside the polythene was lots of damp old...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. WilliamF

Container Gardening

A good list from Kristen. I would echo the Runner Beans suggestion. The also provide a bright red flower before developing the Bean. Streawberries and Tomatoes (tumbling Toms) can be grown from...
    A good list from Kristen. I would echo the Runner Beans suggestion. The also provide a bright red flower before developing the Bean. Streawberries and Tomatoes (tumbling Toms) can be grown from hanging baskets in the shelter of a yard. Subject to the Sun position the Toms. may need to be...
    A good list from Kristen. I would echo the Runner Beans suggestion. The also provide a bright red flower before developing the Bean. Streawberries and Tomatoes (tumbling Toms) can be grown from hanging baskets in the shelter of a yard. Subject to...
    A good list from Kristen. I would echo the Runner Beans suggestion. The also provide a bright red flower before developing the Bean. Streawberries and Tomatoes (tumbling Toms) can be grown from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. 4DGTiger

Container Gardening?

Ah yes. But you are always entertaining if nothing else :WINK1::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jack McHammocklashing

Advice bulbs and containers

I like that idea too. I bought rather too many orange tulips, so I think I'll plant the surplus in pots with orange pansies - should look good (I hope).
    I like that idea too. I bought rather too many orange tulips, so I think I'll plant the surplus in pots with orange pansies - should look good (I hope).
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Louiseness

growing spring bulbs in containers

Hi Melinda I have just planted some Anemones for the first time. When I opened the packet it looked like I had bought a packet of stones !- They are a peculiar shape.:rolleyespink: I understand they are not...
    Hi Melinda I have just planted some Anemones for the first time. When I opened the packet it looked like I had bought a packet of stones !- They are a peculiar shape.:rolleyespink: I understand they are not fussy which way you plant them...........but if you are unsure replant them now. 5 months is a long...
    Hi Melinda I have just planted some Anemones for the first time. When I opened the packet it looked like I had bought a packet of stones !- They are a peculiar shape.:rolleyespink: I understand they are not fussy which way you plant them...........but if you...
    Hi Melinda I have just planted some Anemones for the first time. When I opened the packet it looked like I had bought a packet of stones !- They are a peculiar shape.:rolleyespink: I understand they are not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Gardener_notme

Bulbs in containers question

At MILS grave I have a 2'6" trough with the bottom cut out In it are snow drops, mini daffs, mini tulips, violas, and primroses You need to make sure the cemetery authorities allow the use of...
    At MILS grave I have a 2'6" trough with the bottom cut out In it are snow drops, mini daffs, mini tulips, violas, and primroses You need to make sure the cemetery authorities allow the use of these or they will be removed ELF AND SAFETY so the council workers cutting the grass do not trip over...
    At MILS grave I have a 2'6" trough with the bottom cut out In it are snow drops, mini daffs, mini tulips, violas, and primroses You need to make sure the cemetery authorities allow the use of these or they will be removed ELF AND SAFETY so the...
    At MILS grave I have a 2'6" trough with the bottom cut out In it are snow drops, mini daffs, mini tulips, violas, and primroses You need to make sure the cemetery authorities allow the use of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Lily1968

Am I being too ambitious for a 1st year container gardener?

I had this exact problem this year before I got my allotment :)Other things I've grown successfully that aren't on your list are strawberries, raspberries, peppers (both bell and chilli) and all...
    I had this exact problem this year before I got my allotment :)Other things I've grown successfully that aren't on your list are strawberries, raspberries, peppers (both bell and chilli) and all sorts of herbs. I also grew squash, and although they grew and flowered they were planted out too...
    I had this exact problem this year before I got my allotment :)Other things I've grown successfully that aren't on your list are strawberries, raspberries, peppers (both bell and chilli) and all sorts of herbs. I also grew squash, and although...
    I had this exact problem this year before I got my allotment :)Other things I've grown successfully that aren't on your list are strawberries, raspberries, peppers (both bell and chilli) and all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Gardener_notme

Container grown Tree Peony in winter

Hi GN, this thread is alongside your one about container grown Peonies so the same advice applies, except for one solution that wasn't mentioned. Some gardeners overwinter their pots of...
    Hi GN, this thread is alongside your one about container grown Peonies so the same advice applies, except for one solution that wasn't mentioned. Some gardeners overwinter their pots of reasonably hardy container plants by digging a hole in the garden, putting the pots in them , filling around...
    Hi GN, this thread is alongside your one about container grown Peonies so the same advice applies, except for one solution that wasn't mentioned. Some gardeners overwinter their pots of reasonably hardy container plants by digging a hole in the...
    Hi GN, this thread is alongside your one about container grown Peonies so the same advice applies, except for one solution that wasn't mentioned. Some gardeners overwinter their pots of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Gardener_notme

Herbaceous Peony in a container

Thanks for the replies. I intend to move from this property, therefore, do not want to plant things into the ground. I could wait but ... I think I will have a go, so I will keep you posted! ...
    Thanks for the replies. I intend to move from this property, therefore, do not want to plant things into the ground. I could wait but ... I think I will have a go, so I will keep you posted! Do you think a pot that is 40+ cm diameter and 30+cm deep will be large enough? Marley Farley, you...
    Thanks for the replies. I intend to move from this property, therefore, do not want to plant things into the ground. I could wait but ... I think I will have a go, so I will keep you posted! Do you think a pot that is 40+ cm diameter and...
    Thanks for the replies. I intend to move from this property, therefore, do not want to plant things into the ground. I could wait but ... I think I will have a go, so I will keep you posted! ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. merleworld

Container growing ...

hello Merleworld I asked the same question on here a while back . Just think of re-potting up a plant as a car going up through the gears . You move a plant up as it grows through 3 or 4 pot...
    hello Merleworld I asked the same question on here a while back . Just think of re-potting up a plant as a car going up through the gears . You move a plant up as it grows through 3 or 4 pot sizes. As Dai said its to control the root to top growth.
    hello Merleworld I asked the same question on here a while back . Just think of re-potting up a plant as a car going up through the gears . You move a plant up as it grows through 3 or 4 pot sizes. As Dai said its to control the root to top growth.
    hello Merleworld I asked the same question on here a while back . Just think of re-potting up a plant as a car going up through the gears . You move a plant up as it grows through 3 or 4 pot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Mary Fisher

Rhubarb in container

Hi Mary, Rhubarb Roots get very large, but you should do ok with both. I'd give them a regular feeding though. Are they new plants, or have you not got them yet ?:)
    Hi Mary, Rhubarb Roots get very large, but you should do ok with both. I'd give them a regular feeding though. Are they new plants, or have you not got them yet ?:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. joeyvicks

Late Ducth Honeysuckle & Clematis Pamela Jackman in same container?

They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because the clematis will want to climb and it does this by twining very fine tendrils around...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because the clematis will want to climb and it does this...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Onion Sets in Containers

I have planted my spring onion seeds in containers 6" deep , provided by my local Co-op , a-la Scrungees suggestion , and Alices planting method :dbgrtmb: Now there is one thing I cannot understand . You...
    I have planted my spring onion seeds in containers 6" deep , provided by my local Co-op , a-la Scrungees suggestion , and Alices planting method :dbgrtmb: Now there is one thing I cannot understand . You plant seeds 2-3" apart in the seed rows , but leave 6" between rows !!! :gaagh:Obviously veg grows...
    I have planted my spring onion seeds in containers 6" deep , provided by my local Co-op , a-la Scrungees suggestion , and Alices planting method :dbgrtmb: Now there is one thing I cannot understand . You plant seeds 2-3" apart in the seed rows , but...
    I have planted my spring onion seeds in containers 6" deep , provided by my local Co-op , a-la Scrungees suggestion , and Alices planting method :dbgrtmb: Now there is one thing I cannot understand . You...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Fresh Air

Unusual Container

Thank you Fidgetsmum for you Idea, I have solved the stand idea, something simple like a couple of bits of 3 x 3 fence post. I might have given some more thought to it but I was eager to get on,...
    Thank you Fidgetsmum for you Idea, I have solved the stand idea, something simple like a couple of bits of 3 x 3 fence post. I might have given some more thought to it but I was eager to get on, and I have just come in for my lunch since I posted this morning. The herb Idea was a good one but we...
    Thank you Fidgetsmum for you Idea, I have solved the stand idea, something simple like a couple of bits of 3 x 3 fence post. I might have given some more thought to it but I was eager to get on, and I have just come in for my lunch since I posted...
    Thank you Fidgetsmum for you Idea, I have solved the stand idea, something simple like a couple of bits of 3 x 3 fence post. I might have given some more thought to it but I was eager to get on,...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice