1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Mr zen

Wistiera in containers?

WHere are you jmsadare? Must be somewhere hot if you have fresh flowers on your wisteria!
    WHere are you jmsadare? Must be somewhere hot if you have fresh flowers on your wisteria!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. gardenlearner

hawthorne in containers

Its not a very prestigious plant, are you sure that is what you want in your garden planter?Nice flowers in Spring ... but it grows in a rather straggly fashion :)I reckon it would grow in a...
    Its not a very prestigious plant, are you sure that is what you want in your garden planter?Nice flowers in Spring ... but it grows in a rather straggly fashion :)I reckon it would grow in a minuscule crack in a rock face! so a planter will be fine. Plant it at the same depth it was...
    Its not a very prestigious plant, are you sure that is what you want in your garden planter?Nice flowers in Spring ... but it grows in a rather straggly fashion :)I reckon it would grow in a minuscule crack in a rock face! so a planter will be...
    Its not a very prestigious plant, are you sure that is what you want in your garden planter?Nice flowers in Spring ... but it grows in a rather straggly fashion :)I reckon it would grow in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. alana

Quirky Containers

That is so inventive. It has inspired me to consider some eccentric containers of my own. I have been growing potatoes in plastic dustbins but didn't like the look of the bare black plastic so...
    That is so inventive. It has inspired me to consider some eccentric containers of my own. I have been growing potatoes in plastic dustbins but didn't like the look of the bare black plastic so dressed it in hessian sacks tied at the neck with rope from the diy shop. It looked better but I'm...
    That is so inventive. It has inspired me to consider some eccentric containers of my own. I have been growing potatoes in plastic dustbins but didn't like the look of the bare black plastic so dressed it in hessian sacks tied at the neck with...
    That is so inventive. It has inspired me to consider some eccentric containers of my own. I have been growing potatoes in plastic dustbins but didn't like the look of the bare black plastic so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. endeavour

container centrepiece

Not all "maples" like windy sites so buy with where you are placing it in mind
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. lowrider69

Containers in winter

Hello Lowrider. That's a good conservatory you have there and you've done very well with your plants in there.The problem trying to grow in winter is not all about temperature but the lack of...
    Hello Lowrider. That's a good conservatory you have there and you've done very well with your plants in there.The problem trying to grow in winter is not all about temperature but the lack of light. November through to January is the worst time. The light gets much better in February.There...
    Hello Lowrider. That's a good conservatory you have there and you've done very well with your plants in there.The problem trying to grow in winter is not all about temperature but the lack of light. November through to January is the worst...
    Hello Lowrider. That's a good conservatory you have there and you've done very well with your plants in there.The problem trying to grow in winter is not all about temperature but the lack of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Hockeynut

Where's the cheapest place to get tomato size containers?

Aldi do some sturdy black plastic buckets at under a pound they'll last for years.
    Aldi do some sturdy black plastic buckets at under a pound they'll last for years.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Ciryluk

I want to Grow a Grapevine in a Container

As above I have ordered a Grapevine "Blue Dream" from Suttons Seeds which I want to grow in a container on a balcony against some black railings which is South-South/East facing and gets full sun...
    As above I have ordered a Grapevine "Blue Dream" from Suttons Seeds which I want to grow in a container on a balcony against some black railings which is South-South/East facing and gets full sun for most of the day in the summer and I want to get fruit from the vine eventually... it comes in a...
    As above I have ordered a Grapevine "Blue Dream" from Suttons Seeds which I want to grow in a container on a balcony against some black railings which is South-South/East facing and gets full sun for most of the day in the summer and I want to...
    As above I have ordered a Grapevine "Blue Dream" from Suttons Seeds which I want to grow in a container on a balcony against some black railings which is South-South/East facing and gets full sun...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Scotkat

New Container along with a Penstemon

Thats really pretty.
    Thats really pretty.
    Thats really pretty.
    Thats really pretty.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. michell8151

weevil insecticide to use in garden soils besides containers?

Good evening. Does anyone know of an weevil insecticide to use in garden soils not only containers. Moment they are knawing at my buddliea, good as dead. I am using bug killer. Does not mention...
    Good evening. Does anyone know of an weevil insecticide to use in garden soils not only containers. Moment they are knawing at my buddliea, good as dead. I am using bug killer. Does not mention weevil:mswhl: beetle.
    Good evening. Does anyone know of an weevil insecticide to use in garden soils not only containers. Moment they are knawing at my buddliea, good as dead. I am using bug killer. Does not mention weevil:mswhl: beetle.
    Good evening. Does anyone know of an weevil insecticide to use in garden soils not only containers. Moment they are knawing at my buddliea, good as dead. I am using bug killer. Does not mention...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. RuffledFeathers

Containers for tops of walls?

Thanks again Karl, I'd seen the types that hang off the tops of walls but I don't think the hooks would be wide enough to go over the top of the bricks... I might have a go at making your second...
    Thanks again Karl, I'd seen the types that hang off the tops of walls but I don't think the hooks would be wide enough to go over the top of the bricks... I might have a go at making your second suggestion, with the roofing laths. How would you bond them? I was thinking of PVA glue...
    Thanks again Karl, I'd seen the types that hang off the tops of walls but I don't think the hooks would be wide enough to go over the top of the bricks... I might have a go at making your second suggestion, with the roofing laths. How would you...
    Thanks again Karl, I'd seen the types that hang off the tops of walls but I don't think the hooks would be wide enough to go over the top of the bricks... I might have a go at making your second...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Karl-D

container-gardening-for-food

Good link there karl D, thanks. I grow a fair bit in containers, do have problems with things like pak choi bolting if not watered enough though.
    Good link there karl D, thanks. I grow a fair bit in containers, do have problems with things like pak choi bolting if not watered enough though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Blueroses

'Edible gardening' or 'Container' section ??

I wonder if purple sprouting broccoli would work ? :scratch: I love that
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. jw_universe

Containers for attaching to balconies?

Then makesure it cannot fall off.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Brind

Can you recommended a shrub for a container..

yeah I read they are pretty slow growing. I'd have to buy a more mature plant if I chose to use one.There's no chance of the shrub getting wet being beside the pond, the waterfall is facing...
    yeah I read they are pretty slow growing. I'd have to buy a more mature plant if I chose to use one.There's no chance of the shrub getting wet being beside the pond, the waterfall is facing away from the area the shrub will be placed.Another note, it'll be in full sun too.
    yeah I read they are pretty slow growing. I'd have to buy a more mature plant if I chose to use one.There's no chance of the shrub getting wet being beside the pond, the waterfall is facing away from the area the shrub will be...
    yeah I read they are pretty slow growing. I'd have to buy a more mature plant if I chose to use one.There's no chance of the shrub getting wet being beside the pond, the waterfall is facing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Blueroses

Strawberry growing in container/new plants

they might do but strawbs are hardy and they might just make it so i would leave them to it for now. if the frost does kill them off then is the time to remove them loopy
    they might do but strawbs are hardy and they might just make it so i would leave them to it for now. if the frost does kill them off then is the time to remove them loopy
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. barryk1

Container growing

Tomatos can tolerate a range of soils, but the key is organic matter, so heavy on the compost I'd say. Go deep with it, because toms have deep roots and are hungry! Also a basic fertiliser might...
    Tomatos can tolerate a range of soils, but the key is organic matter, so heavy on the compost I'd say. Go deep with it, because toms have deep roots and are hungry! Also a basic fertiliser might be an idea. They need high phosphorus and low nitrogen levels :)Something I didn't realised and had...
    Tomatos can tolerate a range of soils, but the key is organic matter, so heavy on the compost I'd say. Go deep with it, because toms have deep roots and are hungry! Also a basic fertiliser might be an idea. They need high phosphorus and low...
    Tomatos can tolerate a range of soils, but the key is organic matter, so heavy on the compost I'd say. Go deep with it, because toms have deep roots and are hungry! Also a basic fertiliser might...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. debbietook

Inexpensive large containers?

i have some tin baths and old galvanised pots - dont know how much they would cost but they might be good for growing blueberrys in, try a junk yard or reclamation site? loopy
    i have some tin baths and old galvanised pots - dont know how much they would cost but they might be good for growing blueberrys in, try a junk yard or reclamation site? loopy
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Lovage

Hypertufa containers

I have done it once or twice. I used those black boxes which Garden centres use for plants as a base, but have also go some polystyrene fish boxes covered in it too. Never managed it using wire...
    I have done it once or twice. I used those black boxes which Garden centres use for plants as a base, but have also go some polystyrene fish boxes covered in it too. Never managed it using wire covered carboard boxes though, they tend to go mis-shaped for me. Mix I used was standard one part...
    I have done it once or twice. I used those black boxes which Garden centres use for plants as a base, but have also go some polystyrene fish boxes covered in it too. Never managed it using wire covered carboard boxes though, they tend to go...
    I have done it once or twice. I used those black boxes which Garden centres use for plants as a base, but have also go some polystyrene fish boxes covered in it too. Never managed it using wire...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mztrouble

protecting containers in the winter

Thanks PeterS :), it's already against a wall, but once I've dug up the begonias I can swap the pots around and bring it closer to the door where it'll be more sheltered.
    Thanks PeterS :), it's already against a wall, but once I've dug up the begonias I can swap the pots around and bring it closer to the door where it'll be more sheltered.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Pickles and Jam

Building my Own Containers

If you build your own, put plenty of drainage holes in, and put about an inch of gravel/pebbles in the bottom. That way if the roots find themselves sitting over a bit that doesn't drain well, the...
    If you build your own, put plenty of drainage holes in, and put about an inch of gravel/pebbles in the bottom. That way if the roots find themselves sitting over a bit that doesn't drain well, the pebbles/gravel will help keep them just above the actual water proof liner.If you're going to put...
    If you build your own, put plenty of drainage holes in, and put about an inch of gravel/pebbles in the bottom. That way if the roots find themselves sitting over a bit that doesn't drain well, the pebbles/gravel will help keep them just above the...
    If you build your own, put plenty of drainage holes in, and put about an inch of gravel/pebbles in the bottom. That way if the roots find themselves sitting over a bit that doesn't drain well, the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice