1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. mazambo

Bonsai Gardening

Thanks @misterQ that looks really good, there are copies around but some are really expensive, I'll keep an eye out and see if spot one with a decent price. I'll take a look at the YouTube channel.
    Thanks @misterQ that looks really good, there are copies around but some are really expensive, I'll keep an eye out and see if spot one with a decent price. I'll take a look at the YouTube channel.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. BFOSP

Tatties in a bin ?

No reason why not. If it were me, I’d produce some holes in the bottom and add a couple of inches of broken up polystyrene to aid drainage before adding any compost.
    No reason why not. If it were me, I’d produce some holes in the bottom and add a couple of inches of broken up polystyrene to aid drainage before adding any compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Appleblossom31

Buddlieas care

Thanks Armandii, that’s very useful to know.They’re such attractive shrubs, have always wanted one.:)
    Thanks Armandii, that’s very useful to know.They’re such attractive shrubs, have always wanted one.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. clippo

Living Wall Planning

aha that timer looks great - thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ThePlantAssassin

Ferns in pots. To feed or not to feed???

@ThePlantAssassin those are beauties. My son loves his ferns and since he's parked with me for a few months, I've seen him give "Harry" a feed, a light one, every month. Harry is happy and he is...
    @ThePlantAssassin those are beauties. My son loves his ferns and since he's parked with me for a few months, I've seen him give "Harry" a feed, a light one, every month. Harry is happy and he is not very close to a window at to the moment so he is very forgiving. Nothing lives on just water...
    @ThePlantAssassin those are beauties. My son loves his ferns and since he's parked with me for a few months, I've seen him give "Harry" a feed, a light one, every month. Harry is happy and he is not very close to a window at to the moment so he...
    @ThePlantAssassin those are beauties. My son loves his ferns and since he's parked with me for a few months, I've seen him give "Harry" a feed, a light one, every month. Harry is happy and he is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JayKent

Raised Bed Hedge / Screen

thats good about the council ... yes the leaves will go yellow and fall off
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Dave_79

Dwarf Conifer in Pot Help

Finally threw out a conifer which had gone 2/3 brown & its faded old terracotta pot that had been near our front door since we moved in over 2 years ago & was clearly never gonna recover. I have a...
    Finally threw out a conifer which had gone 2/3 brown & its faded old terracotta pot that had been near our front door since we moved in over 2 years ago & was clearly never gonna recover. I have a new tall pot ready and just need to find a dwarf conifer to put in it. The old pot was insanely...
    Finally threw out a conifer which had gone 2/3 brown & its faded old terracotta pot that had been near our front door since we moved in over 2 years ago & was clearly never gonna recover. I have a new tall pot ready and just need to find a dwarf...
    Finally threw out a conifer which had gone 2/3 brown & its faded old terracotta pot that had been near our front door since we moved in over 2 years ago & was clearly never gonna recover. I have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Dave_79

Tyre Planters

I like these.
    I like these.
    I like these.
    I like these.
    upload_2019-5-18_13-2-1.jpeg BBDDC38C-D312-4183-BED6-99A1D0D2894E.jpeg 20210421_174527.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. David Kearley

I think this counts as container gardening...

Hello! Now for the exciting part! The classic advice is to plan for foliage interest because that's there for much longer than the flowers. Go for a mix of colours, leaf shape and texture. Then...
    Hello! Now for the exciting part! The classic advice is to plan for foliage interest because that's there for much longer than the flowers. Go for a mix of colours, leaf shape and texture. Then the flowers are the icing on the cake. For contrasting foliage, there's Nandina domestica...
    Hello! Now for the exciting part! The classic advice is to plan for foliage interest because that's there for much longer than the flowers. Go for a mix of colours, leaf shape and texture. Then the flowers are the icing on the cake. For...
    Hello! Now for the exciting part! The classic advice is to plan for foliage interest because that's there for much longer than the flowers. Go for a mix of colours, leaf shape and texture. Then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. trogre

Buddleia Buzz

I have a buzz in my front border. And had no issues, it flowers like mad every year and grows to about 6ft each year. I cut it down every year and have never had any issues. I did have it in a pot...
    I have a buzz in my front border. And had no issues, it flowers like mad every year and grows to about 6ft each year. I cut it down every year and have never had any issues. I did have it in a pot as I bought it from my old garden and still did OK, but not as well as in the ground.Rusty
    I have a buzz in my front border. And had no issues, it flowers like mad every year and grows to about 6ft each year. I cut it down every year and have never had any issues. I did have it in a pot as I bought it from my old garden and still did...
    I have a buzz in my front border. And had no issues, it flowers like mad every year and grows to about 6ft each year. I cut it down every year and have never had any issues. I did have it in a pot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Black Orchid

Tree lillies unknown pests

Deffo sounds like nematodes(microsopic worms) Possibly Aphelen choids Not all nematodes are bad btw Although i really hope im wrong as that would be it for your plants. This link might help i...
    Deffo sounds like nematodes(microsopic worms) Possibly Aphelen choids Not all nematodes are bad btw Although i really hope im wrong as that would be it for your plants. This link might help i found it after completing this post.Lily (Lilium spp.)-Nematode, FoliarAlthough it might be a plant...
    Deffo sounds like nematodes(microsopic worms) Possibly Aphelen choids Not all nematodes are bad btw Although i really hope im wrong as that would be it for your plants. This link might help i found it after completing this post.Lily (Lilium...
    Deffo sounds like nematodes(microsopic worms) Possibly Aphelen choids Not all nematodes are bad btw Although i really hope im wrong as that would be it for your plants. This link might help i...
    IMG_20210516_181659.jpg IMG_20210516_181650.jpg IMG_20210516_181646.jpg IMG_20210516_181634.jpg IMG_20210516_181630.jpg IMG_20210516_181624.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. mazambo

Oxalis triangularis potting mix?

Forgot to water the Oxalis yesterday and she told me this mornng, in no uncertain terms, that she wasn't't too happy about it - see belowFirst pictureNow, 2 hours later , after a long drink,...
    Forgot to water the Oxalis yesterday and she told me this mornng, in no uncertain terms, that she wasn't't too happy about it - see belowFirst pictureNow, 2 hours later , after a long drink, she has returned To normal....Jenny namaste
    Forgot to water the Oxalis yesterday and she told me this mornng, in no uncertain terms, that she wasn't't too happy about it - see belowFirst pictureNow, 2 hours later , after a long drink, she has returned To normal....Jenny namaste
    Forgot to water the Oxalis yesterday and she told me this mornng, in no uncertain terms, that she wasn't't too happy about it - see belowFirst pictureNow, 2 hours later , after a long drink,...
    Purple.jpg P1070403.jpg 20200925_173249.jpg 20201121_150659.jpg 20201121_150726.jpg 20210101_132415.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. barryman

Solanum Glasnevin - Chilean potato plant

Somebody has just given me a Solanum Glasnevin Chilean potato plant growing in a pot. It's about 70 cm tall at the moment.I already have one of these which I grow around an archway so I know how...
    Somebody has just given me a Solanum Glasnevin Chilean potato plant growing in a pot. It's about 70 cm tall at the moment.I already have one of these which I grow around an archway so I know how nice they look. But what I am wondering is whether I could grow this in a container on my patio and...
    Somebody has just given me a Solanum Glasnevin Chilean potato plant growing in a pot. It's about 70 cm tall at the moment.I already have one of these which I grow around an archway so I know how nice they look. But what I am wondering is...
    Somebody has just given me a Solanum Glasnevin Chilean potato plant growing in a pot. It's about 70 cm tall at the moment.I already have one of these which I grow around an archway so I know how...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PhilC

Fertilizing Wisteria (Shiro Kapitan) in a container?...slow growth!

Well I assume you intend the plant to stay in this pot for a few years. If so you are better off using a soil based compost as opposed to multipurpose. It has longer staying power and doesn't...
    Well I assume you intend the plant to stay in this pot for a few years. If so you are better off using a soil based compost as opposed to multipurpose. It has longer staying power and doesn't degrade in the same way multipurpose does.As I said earlier, I don't think pouring fetilisers on...
    Well I assume you intend the plant to stay in this pot for a few years. If so you are better off using a soil based compost as opposed to multipurpose. It has longer staying power and doesn't degrade in the same way multipurpose does.As I...
    Well I assume you intend the plant to stay in this pot for a few years. If so you are better off using a soil based compost as opposed to multipurpose. It has longer staying power and doesn't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. fumanchu

I want...

No problem @Black Dog:)Living in Scotland which is not the driest country in the world! I can only grow some Turks Head Lillies in the borders as I have found other varieties of Lillies really...
    No problem @Black Dog:)Living in Scotland which is not the driest country in the world! I can only grow some Turks Head Lillies in the borders as I have found other varieties of Lillies really object to winter wet. This is why I grow Lillies in tubs. They stay in situ and are not fussed by very...
    No problem @Black Dog:)Living in Scotland which is not the driest country in the world! I can only grow some Turks Head Lillies in the borders as I have found other varieties of Lillies really object to winter wet. This is why I grow Lillies in...
    No problem @Black Dog:)Living in Scotland which is not the driest country in the world! I can only grow some Turks Head Lillies in the borders as I have found other varieties of Lillies really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ewicc

Lining & holes for planter/boxes

Thanks for your interesting reply. Sorry about the delay. I will try and rig up the drip hose.
    Thanks for your interesting reply. Sorry about the delay. I will try and rig up the drip hose.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ChangeAgent

Help with pruning of balcony plants Thuja Occidentalis AKA Smaragd.

I have a sneaking suspicion it might be somewhere in Scotland.:scratch:;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PhilC

Is my Daphne dying?

Think you have done the right thing, keep it sheltered and out of the sun and maybe it will recover.
    Think you have done the right thing, keep it sheltered and out of the sun and maybe it will recover.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ChangeAgent

Help with pruning one of my balcony pot-plants Thuja Hiba or Thujopsis dolabrata

several times trimming is OK. Thanks Pete, for your help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Victoria

Houseplants Outside

What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small windows, I cannot have indoor plants. Also, in these old cottages in a hot country, the windowsills tend...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small windows, I cannot have indoor plants. Also, in these old...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small...
    Pachira 13 Jul.jpg Schefflera 13 Jul.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice