1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Nikolaos

Myrtus communis in a container, what does it need?

Thanks so much for that, Hazel! :) The only problem I seem to have when using my garden soil rather than a proper JI mix is that unlike the latter, it turns almost concrete-like if left dry long...
    Thanks so much for that, Hazel! :) The only problem I seem to have when using my garden soil rather than a proper JI mix is that unlike the latter, it turns almost concrete-like if left dry long enough! :doh: So I'm guessing I'm adding a little too much to my container mixes ATM...Nick
    Thanks so much for that, Hazel! :) The only problem I seem to have when using my garden soil rather than a proper JI mix is that unlike the latter, it turns almost concrete-like if left dry long enough! :doh: So I'm guessing I'm adding a little too much...
    Thanks so much for that, Hazel! :) The only problem I seem to have when using my garden soil rather than a proper JI mix is that unlike the latter, it turns almost concrete-like if left dry long...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. David Kearley

Overwatering?

Yep, holes are clear. They are all standing on coarse gravel as well ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. David Kearley

My roses are not happy

Thanks :) The perennial blue smell amazing right now. I only have a small yard and the scent just fills it.If your roses do not have the potential to grow so big, I'd go for 45 depth. I have Warm...
    Thanks :) The perennial blue smell amazing right now. I only have a small yard and the scent just fills it.If your roses do not have the potential to grow so big, I'd go for 45 depth. I have Warm Welcome in 45x45 which is a miniature climber. It could also just be that they need a change of...
    Thanks :) The perennial blue smell amazing right now. I only have a small yard and the scent just fills it.If your roses do not have the potential to grow so big, I'd go for 45 depth. I have Warm Welcome in 45x45 which is a miniature climber. It...
    Thanks :) The perennial blue smell amazing right now. I only have a small yard and the scent just fills it.If your roses do not have the potential to grow so big, I'd go for 45 depth. I have Warm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Balc
    Like x 5

Gardening on a balcony

Can't wait to see it in bloom!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. David Kearley

Anyone use drip-feed/micro irrigation?

When working out a schedule, is it best to look at the previous days max temperature instead of the current days forecasted temperature???
    When working out a schedule, is it best to look at the previous days max temperature instead of the current days forecasted temperature???
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. hi2u_uk

Tree suggestions please for my garden

Hello All I would like to put a tree in the centre of the soil space in my back garden. It seems the soil is only about 2 inches deep and it is actually quite smelly . I guess i need to have a...
    Hello All I would like to put a tree in the centre of the soil space in my back garden. It seems the soil is only about 2 inches deep and it is actually quite smelly . I guess i need to have a tree in a container. I want a tree that will grow to a max of 2.5m, will have green leaves all year...
    Hello All I would like to put a tree in the centre of the soil space in my back garden. It seems the soil is only about 2 inches deep and it is actually quite smelly . I guess i need to have a tree in a container. I want a tree that will grow...
    Hello All I would like to put a tree in the centre of the soil space in my back garden. It seems the soil is only about 2 inches deep and it is actually quite smelly . I guess i need to have a...
    20220516_182339.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. David Kearley

A tale of two Salvias...

@david Kearly, No doubt about it in the last couple of pictures - they are definitely Delphiniums & have powdery mildew!
    @david Kearly, No doubt about it in the last couple of pictures - they are definitely Delphiniums & have powdery mildew!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. hoofy

Moving potted plants around

Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants...
    Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants around - only a few that perhaps I notice are more inclined than the others.I've grown my own...
    Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants around - only a few that perhaps I notice are more...
    Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants...
    Dragon tree on the balcony from outside 19th May 2017.jpg Dragon tree in bedroom 14th April 2020 001.jpg Dragon tree in bedroom before pruning & repotting 6th April 2021 001.jpg Dragon Tree in bedroom 8th March 2022 001.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. groundbeetle

Ipomoea purpurea(Morning Glory) in a pot?

I only knew of one, Kerria japonica! So thanks for the info! :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fhorchu

Cyclamen and daffodil container planting

A general fertilizer should be adequate.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. harrylee

Heated planter/greenhouse idea.

I was assuming it was similar to a soil warming cable the type we use for making propagators. You then just add a separate thermostat which switches it on and off. The type of cable you are...
    I was assuming it was similar to a soil warming cable the type we use for making propagators. You then just add a separate thermostat which switches it on and off. The type of cable you are using is not that common over here, but I have heard of people using something similar to stop tender...
    I was assuming it was similar to a soil warming cable the type we use for making propagators. You then just add a separate thermostat which switches it on and off. The type of cable you are using is not that common over here, but I have heard...
    I was assuming it was similar to a soil warming cable the type we use for making propagators. You then just add a separate thermostat which switches it on and off. The type of cable you are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. PhilC

My indoor hyacinth flowers keep dying before they open fully

Yes there's drainage but it's just a ceramic pot with one hole in the middle so I also added perlite to the compost. Still no luck.
    Yes there's drainage but it's just a ceramic pot with one hole in the middle so I also added perlite to the compost. Still no luck.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. PhilC

Fish blood & bone, can it kill plants?

Hi,For the Seedlings probably too late, plus even if they do recover, given such a damaging check it would be better to start some new ones off. For the other established pot plants, just cross...
    Hi,For the Seedlings probably too late, plus even if they do recover, given such a damaging check it would be better to start some new ones off. For the other established pot plants, just cross your fingers and hope !What about the compost you are using, is it a decent commerical brand ...
    Hi,For the Seedlings probably too late, plus even if they do recover, given such a damaging check it would be better to start some new ones off. For the other established pot plants, just cross your fingers and hope !What about the compost...
    Hi,For the Seedlings probably too late, plus even if they do recover, given such a damaging check it would be better to start some new ones off. For the other established pot plants, just cross...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. hoofy

White Weigela in a pot

That's not an option, you need a bigger garden:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. barryman

Container grown Solanum Glasnevin (Chilean Potato tree)

Thank you for replies. Having read Tomcat's advice I think there might be some better and easier choices other than the Solanum idea !!
    Thank you for replies. Having read Tomcat's advice I think there might be some better and easier choices other than the Solanum idea !!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gn0me

Caring for a Christmas tree

Yes , l would certainly cut the perforated pot away and pot up in the red pot. It does sound like you have a containerised tree here , one that has been lifted from the open ground. These trees...
    Yes , l would certainly cut the perforated pot away and pot up in the red pot. It does sound like you have a containerised tree here , one that has been lifted from the open ground. These trees are sold to use over Xmas , it’s survival depends on how much good root is left. You need some of...
    Yes , l would certainly cut the perforated pot away and pot up in the red pot. It does sound like you have a containerised tree here , one that has been lifted from the open ground. These trees are sold to use over Xmas , it’s survival depends...
    Yes , l would certainly cut the perforated pot away and pot up in the red pot. It does sound like you have a containerised tree here , one that has been lifted from the open ground. These trees...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Deebles

What Berberis for a container?

Thank you all for the help! Sun can be arranged, as I have a sunny spot in my front garden that may work. The back is sadly North facing.
    Thank you all for the help! Sun can be arranged, as I have a sunny spot in my front garden that may work. The back is sadly North facing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Bfm

Repotting Portuguese laurels

Thanks for that. I'll take one out of the pot on in the morning and get a proper look. Thanks for the tip ref w it winter. We are in Ireland so harsh winters are commonplace. We do have a...
    Thanks for that. I'll take one out of the pot on in the morning and get a proper look. Thanks for the tip ref w it winter. We are in Ireland so harsh winters are commonplace. We do have a large glass greenhouse so could keep them in there during harsh weather
    Thanks for that. I'll take one out of the pot on in the morning and get a proper look. Thanks for the tip ref w it winter. We are in Ireland so harsh winters are commonplace. We do have a large glass greenhouse so could keep them in there...
    Thanks for that. I'll take one out of the pot on in the morning and get a proper look. Thanks for the tip ref w it winter. We are in Ireland so harsh winters are commonplace. We do have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Bardering

Red robin (photinia) in container

Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it...
    Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it didn't need too much water. The pot is probably about 12". So, I will do as you recommend re-pot to a...
    Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it didn't need too much water. The pot is probably about...
    Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. LinG

Plants to go with Persicaria 'Red Dragon'

Thanks Jenny, that's handy to know.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice