1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Lyn

Strangest container.

I whiplashed my Chimenea with the flex from the lawnmower and broke the top of it off..any wonder I had all he grass removed..Duh! [/img]
    I whiplashed my Chimenea with the flex from the lawnmower and broke the top of it off..any wonder I had all he grass removed..Duh! [/img]
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Scotkat

Containers & Hanging baskets

roders that is stunning:thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. coucou

Any edible stuff I can plant in containers?

Thanks Glen much appreciated :thumb: Jane x
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. gardenlearner

building a large container

Or perhaps you could put some perforated drainage pipe into the bottom of the bed so that any surplus water can collect in that, and flow to one end (downhill would help of course!)
    Or perhaps you could put some perforated drainage pipe into the bottom of the bed so that any surplus water can collect in that, and flow to one end (downhill would help of course!)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Scotkat

Sedge grass container

I dont water a lot give a feed now and then and let weather elements look after my containers.:)
    I dont water a lot give a feed now and then and let weather elements look after my containers.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Brind

Star Jasmine grown from a large trough/container

Shouldn't be a problem drilling the concrete drill a series of holes close together in the shape and size you want (chain drilling) then bolster between the holes and remove the chunk of concrete...
    Shouldn't be a problem drilling the concrete drill a series of holes close together in the shape and size you want (chain drilling) then bolster between the holes and remove the chunk of concrete it will not affect the shed footings,once you have removed the concrete dig the stale soil out of...
    Shouldn't be a problem drilling the concrete drill a series of holes close together in the shape and size you want (chain drilling) then bolster between the holes and remove the chunk of concrete it will not affect the shed footings,once you have...
    Shouldn't be a problem drilling the concrete drill a series of holes close together in the shape and size you want (chain drilling) then bolster between the holes and remove the chunk of concrete...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Scotkat

My Doorstep Container this morning

She will survive well sheltered on doorstep:) Got small terracota kettles as well
    She will survive well sheltered on doorstep:) Got small terracota kettles as well
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. SarahN75

Climbers in containers

Err on the side of caution, one plant per pot and try and get as big as possible for them so they won't need re-potting for some years. Get pots you like as well-if they are going to be visible...
    Err on the side of caution, one plant per pot and try and get as big as possible for them so they won't need re-potting for some years. Get pots you like as well-if they are going to be visible you want them to look good!
    Err on the side of caution, one plant per pot and try and get as big as possible for them so they won't need re-potting for some years. Get pots you like as well-if they are going to be visible you want them to look good!
    Err on the side of caution, one plant per pot and try and get as big as possible for them so they won't need re-potting for some years. Get pots you like as well-if they are going to be visible...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. fmay

Herbs in containers

I plant my kitchen herbs in hanging baskets and containers works well for me and have just been using my mulit purpose compost. This year have already tried Miricale grow compost 3bags for £12.
    I plant my kitchen herbs in hanging baskets and containers works well for me and have just been using my mulit purpose compost. This year have already tried Miricale grow compost 3bags for £12.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. walnut

A few ideas for containers

Heres a recycled container in my garden.It used to be a tumble dryer drum.Now home to a Magnolia and various bulbs.
    Heres a recycled container in my garden.It used to be a tumble dryer drum.Now home to a Magnolia and various bulbs.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. mossym

Moving Camellia from container to bed

sorry to butt in I also have a camelia in a pot and am planning to move it in the ground, mine is a 6foot monster will it hurt it to cut it down a bit and tidy it up first as not sure we can shift...
    sorry to butt in I also have a camelia in a pot and am planning to move it in the ground, mine is a 6foot monster will it hurt it to cut it down a bit and tidy it up first as not sure we can shift it as it is
    sorry to butt in I also have a camelia in a pot and am planning to move it in the ground, mine is a 6foot monster will it hurt it to cut it down a bit and tidy it up first as not sure we can shift it as it is
    sorry to butt in I also have a camelia in a pot and am planning to move it in the ground, mine is a 6foot monster will it hurt it to cut it down a bit and tidy it up first as not sure we can shift...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. SarahN75

container grown type 3 clematis

hi Does anyone know if a group 3 clematis grown in a container has the growing power to do well on a pergola? I'm struggling to see how a plant you cut back practically to ground level every...
    hi Does anyone know if a group 3 clematis grown in a container has the growing power to do well on a pergola? I'm struggling to see how a plant you cut back practically to ground level every year could grow fast enough to cover a pergola? I am planning on having 2 climbers one on each leg, ...
    hi Does anyone know if a group 3 clematis grown in a container has the growing power to do well on a pergola? I'm struggling to see how a plant you cut back practically to ground level every year could grow fast enough to cover a pergola? I am...
    hi Does anyone know if a group 3 clematis grown in a container has the growing power to do well on a pergola? I'm struggling to see how a plant you cut back practically to ground level every...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. girliecook

clemetis in container

hi girliecook, i reckon these montanas take at least 2 to 3 years to settle in as my other clematis keep flowering year after year, all my other climber honey suckle etc also take a good 2 to 3...
    hi girliecook, i reckon these montanas take at least 2 to 3 years to settle in as my other clematis keep flowering year after year, all my other climber honey suckle etc also take a good 2 to 3 years to grow and settle, my montana is growing all over now and im hoping for flowers this year will...
    hi girliecook, i reckon these montanas take at least 2 to 3 years to settle in as my other clematis keep flowering year after year, all my other climber honey suckle etc also take a good 2 to 3 years to grow and settle, my montana is growing all...
    hi girliecook, i reckon these montanas take at least 2 to 3 years to settle in as my other clematis keep flowering year after year, all my other climber honey suckle etc also take a good 2 to 3...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Loofah

Container sizing

Bit the bullett and went to homebase... do you know they have their own 33l high potash growbags for £1.49? Lots of those ta! Just off to chop them up:)
    Bit the bullett and went to homebase... do you know they have their own 33l high potash growbags for £1.49? Lots of those ta! Just off to chop them up:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Clematis

Bokashi Food Waste Containers

I have one from last year, and yes they are smelly. The best description of the smell is of brewing hops. Also i have a small kitchen and take up unnecessary space. I may actually get rid of it...
    I have one from last year, and yes they are smelly. The best description of the smell is of brewing hops. Also i have a small kitchen and take up unnecessary space. I may actually get rid of it tbh because of the combo of space and smell.
    I have one from last year, and yes they are smelly. The best description of the smell is of brewing hops. Also i have a small kitchen and take up unnecessary space. I may actually get rid of it tbh because of the combo of space and smell.
    I have one from last year, and yes they are smelly. The best description of the smell is of brewing hops. Also i have a small kitchen and take up unnecessary space. I may actually get rid of it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Greenjeans

Sweet Peppers in containers

Got it! I have forced air heat in the greenhouse so I suppose it would be dryer than the norm (mind now that spring is moving forward nicely the heat doesn't come on much anymore so that begins to...
    Got it! I have forced air heat in the greenhouse so I suppose it would be dryer than the norm (mind now that spring is moving forward nicely the heat doesn't come on much anymore so that begins to eliminate that problem)
    Got it! I have forced air heat in the greenhouse so I suppose it would be dryer than the norm (mind now that spring is moving forward nicely the heat doesn't come on much anymore so that begins to eliminate that problem)
    Got it! I have forced air heat in the greenhouse so I suppose it would be dryer than the norm (mind now that spring is moving forward nicely the heat doesn't come on much anymore so that begins to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. lollipop

Courgettes in containers question

I concur with growing courgettes in containers. They do need lots of frequent watering but they crop heavily and the fruits don't rot from lying on wet soil. The drawback is, like most container...
    I concur with growing courgettes in containers. They do need lots of frequent watering but they crop heavily and the fruits don't rot from lying on wet soil. The drawback is, like most container grown plants, they can dry out very quickly and die if not looked after assiduously.
    I concur with growing courgettes in containers. They do need lots of frequent watering but they crop heavily and the fruits don't rot from lying on wet soil. The drawback is, like most container grown plants, they can dry out very quickly and...
    I concur with growing courgettes in containers. They do need lots of frequent watering but they crop heavily and the fruits don't rot from lying on wet soil. The drawback is, like most container...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kristen

Material for Earthing-Up Container Potatoes

I was baulking at paying for bagged compost, but soil I have! and mixed with the compost already in the pots (which I suppose will eventually become about 50:50) should be fine for Carrots next.
    I was baulking at paying for bagged compost, but soil I have! and mixed with the compost already in the pots (which I suppose will eventually become about 50:50) should be fine for Carrots next.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PatioP

Pittosporum (silver queen) in container

I agree wiuth David on this point-the absolute worst thing with new to gardening is overfeeding-I am only telling you this from experience. Drench it.
    I agree wiuth David on this point-the absolute worst thing with new to gardening is overfeeding-I am only telling you this from experience. Drench it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. J.R.P.

USING our WASTE CONTAINERS?

I am closing this thread down for staff review as it appears the originator of the thread has left and there is off-topic (ie, not relating to re-using waste containers) bickering going on.
    I am closing this thread down for staff review as it appears the originator of the thread has left and there is off-topic (ie, not relating to re-using waste containers) bickering going on.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice