1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Mr zen

Wistiera in containers?

WHere are you jmsadare? Must be somewhere hot if you have fresh flowers on your wisteria!
    WHere are you jmsadare? Must be somewhere hot if you have fresh flowers on your wisteria!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Herb

Potato container growing

Me too. Some years ago I bought a "kit" (3 bags and 3 different types of spuds I think). Far more spuds than were needed - clearly they had just included a bog-standard bag of seed tubers with the...
    Me too. Some years ago I bought a "kit" (3 bags and 3 different types of spuds I think). Far more spuds than were needed - clearly they had just included a bog-standard bag of seed tubers with the kit, rather than actually bothering to make something that "did what it said on the tin". People...
    Me too. Some years ago I bought a "kit" (3 bags and 3 different types of spuds I think). Far more spuds than were needed - clearly they had just included a bog-standard bag of seed tubers with the kit, rather than actually bothering to make...
    Me too. Some years ago I bought a "kit" (3 bags and 3 different types of spuds I think). Far more spuds than were needed - clearly they had just included a bog-standard bag of seed tubers with the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. arty

Growing container potatoes

Some good advice there Thank You I'm thinking of putting some pots in containers this year I hope to follow your lead...Frank
    Some good advice there Thank You I'm thinking of putting some pots in containers this year I hope to follow your lead...Frank
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. flowerfan

Tulips in containers

One of my tubs I have tulips planted along with grasses its very effective they are just starting to show now .Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    One of my tubs I have tulips planted along with grasses its very effective they are just starting to show now .Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Maniac

Container Gardening Idea

What a great idea Maniac. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with it.
    What a great idea Maniac. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. gor

Large Metal containers

They should last many years if you paint, varnish or whatever them inside & out 1st so there is no exposed wood.. OK, what I had in mind was something a friend in California has done & hers are...
    They should last many years if you paint, varnish or whatever them inside & out 1st so there is no exposed wood.. OK, what I had in mind was something a friend in California has done & hers are in the full sun all the time.. She had her planters made so that they were just the four sides.....
    They should last many years if you paint, varnish or whatever them inside & out 1st so there is no exposed wood.. OK, what I had in mind was something a friend in California has done & hers are in the full sun all the time.. She had her planters...
    They should last many years if you paint, varnish or whatever them inside & out 1st so there is no exposed wood.. OK, what I had in mind was something a friend in California has done & hers are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Revnick

Raspberries in containers?

I have a golden raspberry in a 40cm balconniere. Seems to be very happy, it's been in there a couple of years and is doing great.
    I have a golden raspberry in a 40cm balconniere. Seems to be very happy, it's been in there a couple of years and is doing great.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. arty

yes i would top up your containers
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. barnaby

Container Gardening

I normally use containers and pots for decorative planting including : fuschias, pelargoniums, geraniums together with a few trailing plants like Bacopa/Verbenas and others. The mix I use varies...
    I normally use containers and pots for decorative planting including : fuschias, pelargoniums, geraniums together with a few trailing plants like Bacopa/Verbenas and others. The mix I use varies but I generally use a compost/manure base then a blend of last years compost plus some more fibrous...
    I normally use containers and pots for decorative planting including : fuschias, pelargoniums, geraniums together with a few trailing plants like Bacopa/Verbenas and others. The mix I use varies but I generally use a compost/manure base then a...
    I normally use containers and pots for decorative planting including : fuschias, pelargoniums, geraniums together with a few trailing plants like Bacopa/Verbenas and others. The mix I use varies...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Andy567

Any Crop suggestions for a large container?

Given the dimensions I'd suggest you grow something that grows down rather than up. Carrots, parsnips, leeks. If it's wood or plastic you could bore holes and plant strawberries or even tomatoes.
    Given the dimensions I'd suggest you grow something that grows down rather than up. Carrots, parsnips, leeks. If it's wood or plastic you could bore holes and plant strawberries or even tomatoes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Lea

Container grown potatoes

Worse if you are pregnant for the unborn baby, see here:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pamsdish

Wooden Containers

So perusing the threads as I do, my O.H. chimes up "When the front is paved you won`t have any gardening to do":dunno:What planet does he come from I often wonder.:rolleyespink: Surely to get colour or interest...
    So perusing the threads as I do, my O.H. chimes up "When the front is paved you won`t have any gardening to do":dunno:What planet does he come from I often wonder.:rolleyespink: Surely to get colour or interest in them throughout the whole year will take more thought and management, :scratch: than a border ,where plants...
    So perusing the threads as I do, my O.H. chimes up "When the front is paved you won`t have any gardening to do":dunno:What planet does he come from I often wonder.:rolleyespink: Surely to get colour or interest in them throughout the whole year will take more...
    So perusing the threads as I do, my O.H. chimes up "When the front is paved you won`t have any gardening to do":dunno:What planet does he come from I often wonder.:rolleyespink: Surely to get colour or interest...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. arty

What I've done in the past is, as Kristen says, have a 'feel' around and, if there are some which I think are ready for eating, I ease them out, hot foot it into the kitchen with them and leave...
    What I've done in the past is, as Kristen says, have a 'feel' around and, if there are some which I think are ready for eating, I ease them out, hot foot it into the kitchen with them and leave the rest to grow on.
    What I've done in the past is, as Kristen says, have a 'feel' around and, if there are some which I think are ready for eating, I ease them out, hot foot it into the kitchen with them and leave the rest to grow on.
    What I've done in the past is, as Kristen says, have a 'feel' around and, if there are some which I think are ready for eating, I ease them out, hot foot it into the kitchen with them and leave...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. acelamps

Container Plants for salty atmosphere

Search for "Halophytes" or salt tolerant plants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fresh Air

Unusual Container

Thank you Fidgetsmum for you Idea, I have solved the stand idea, something simple like a couple of bits of 3 x 3 fence post. I might have given some more thought to it but I was eager to get on,...
    Thank you Fidgetsmum for you Idea, I have solved the stand idea, something simple like a couple of bits of 3 x 3 fence post. I might have given some more thought to it but I was eager to get on, and I have just come in for my lunch since I posted this morning. The herb Idea was a good one but we...
    Thank you Fidgetsmum for you Idea, I have solved the stand idea, something simple like a couple of bits of 3 x 3 fence post. I might have given some more thought to it but I was eager to get on, and I have just come in for my lunch since I posted...
    Thank you Fidgetsmum for you Idea, I have solved the stand idea, something simple like a couple of bits of 3 x 3 fence post. I might have given some more thought to it but I was eager to get on,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS

Onion Sets in Containers

I have planted my spring onion seeds in containers 6" deep , provided by my local Co-op , a-la Scrungees suggestion , and Alices planting method :dbgrtmb: Now there is one thing I cannot understand . You...
    I have planted my spring onion seeds in containers 6" deep , provided by my local Co-op , a-la Scrungees suggestion , and Alices planting method :dbgrtmb: Now there is one thing I cannot understand . You plant seeds 2-3" apart in the seed rows , but leave 6" between rows !!! :gaagh:Obviously veg grows...
    I have planted my spring onion seeds in containers 6" deep , provided by my local Co-op , a-la Scrungees suggestion , and Alices planting method :dbgrtmb: Now there is one thing I cannot understand . You plant seeds 2-3" apart in the seed rows , but...
    I have planted my spring onion seeds in containers 6" deep , provided by my local Co-op , a-la Scrungees suggestion , and Alices planting method :dbgrtmb: Now there is one thing I cannot understand . You...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. joeyvicks

Late Ducth Honeysuckle & Clematis Pamela Jackman in same container?

They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because the clematis will want to climb and it does this by twining very fine tendrils around...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because the clematis will want to climb and it does this...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Mary Fisher

Rhubarb in container

Hi Mary, Rhubarb Roots get very large, but you should do ok with both. I'd give them a regular feeding though. Are they new plants, or have you not got them yet ?:)
    Hi Mary, Rhubarb Roots get very large, but you should do ok with both. I'd give them a regular feeding though. Are they new plants, or have you not got them yet ?:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. merleworld

Container growing ...

hello Merleworld I asked the same question on here a while back . Just think of re-potting up a plant as a car going up through the gears . You move a plant up as it grows through 3 or 4 pot...
    hello Merleworld I asked the same question on here a while back . Just think of re-potting up a plant as a car going up through the gears . You move a plant up as it grows through 3 or 4 pot sizes. As Dai said its to control the root to top growth.
    hello Merleworld I asked the same question on here a while back . Just think of re-potting up a plant as a car going up through the gears . You move a plant up as it grows through 3 or 4 pot sizes. As Dai said its to control the root to top growth.
    hello Merleworld I asked the same question on here a while back . Just think of re-potting up a plant as a car going up through the gears . You move a plant up as it grows through 3 or 4 pot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gardener_notme

Herbaceous Peony in a container

Thanks for the replies. I intend to move from this property, therefore, do not want to plant things into the ground. I could wait but ... I think I will have a go, so I will keep you posted! ...
    Thanks for the replies. I intend to move from this property, therefore, do not want to plant things into the ground. I could wait but ... I think I will have a go, so I will keep you posted! Do you think a pot that is 40+ cm diameter and 30+cm deep will be large enough? Marley Farley, you...
    Thanks for the replies. I intend to move from this property, therefore, do not want to plant things into the ground. I could wait but ... I think I will have a go, so I will keep you posted! Do you think a pot that is 40+ cm diameter and...
    Thanks for the replies. I intend to move from this property, therefore, do not want to plant things into the ground. I could wait but ... I think I will have a go, so I will keep you posted! ...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice