1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Potty gardener

Need help with starting my potty garden!

Thank you- yes I do have some trailer troughs- I'm lucky that I have flat walls at a good height. I am now thinking of creating a tier of pots,with the big one at the bottom. I'm also considering...
    Thank you- yes I do have some trailer troughs- I'm lucky that I have flat walls at a good height. I am now thinking of creating a tier of pots,with the big one at the bottom. I'm also considering a bay (laurel) for year round interest. It is so frustrating that now I'm ready to do stuff it is...
    Thank you- yes I do have some trailer troughs- I'm lucky that I have flat walls at a good height. I am now thinking of creating a tier of pots,with the big one at the bottom. I'm also considering a bay (laurel) for year round interest. It is so...
    Thank you- yes I do have some trailer troughs- I'm lucky that I have flat walls at a good height. I am now thinking of creating a tier of pots,with the big one at the bottom. I'm also considering...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. jay252735
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Callum-91

Salix Hakuro-Nishiki: Help Needed

Hi Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post (newbie) and haven't quite worked out how to post a new question. I too have (had) a beautiful Hakuro-Nishiki. I originally planted it about 8...
    Hi Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post (newbie) and haven't quite worked out how to post a new question. I too have (had) a beautiful Hakuro-Nishiki. I originally planted it about 8 years ago, but decided it was in the wrong position, so I dug up the rootball last October and...
    Hi Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post (newbie) and haven't quite worked out how to post a new question. I too have (had) a beautiful Hakuro-Nishiki. I originally planted it about 8 years ago, but decided it was in the wrong...
    Hi Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post (newbie) and haven't quite worked out how to post a new question. I too have (had) a beautiful Hakuro-Nishiki. I originally planted it about 8...
    E10C999B-A781-4872-8C53-21C7BEBBC244.jpeg 1B9FD5A1-728B-4408-A0CE-A05E6BAACE08.jpeg B3C133DF-4895-4A0E-9F96-D3B15E8E43BA.jpeg EA3D975B-66A8-4966-8E19-A3AFB72BC609.jpeg IMG_20200624_13002_LI.jpg IMG_20200624_125951.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. flamingjune

Encouraging new shoots (it's more of a houseplant question)

I've a few plants, like yucca type things, where there is a long woody stem and then a bush of greenery on the end. There's a constant dropping of old leaves and new ones appearing (why they do...
    I've a few plants, like yucca type things, where there is a long woody stem and then a bush of greenery on the end. There's a constant dropping of old leaves and new ones appearing (why they do that, put all the effort into growing a leaf only to throw it off later, I don't know - some seem to...
    I've a few plants, like yucca type things, where there is a long woody stem and then a bush of greenery on the end. There's a constant dropping of old leaves and new ones appearing (why they do that, put all the effort into growing a leaf only to...
    I've a few plants, like yucca type things, where there is a long woody stem and then a bush of greenery on the end. There's a constant dropping of old leaves and new ones appearing (why they do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Gn0me

Advice on buying rose trees to put in nice pots

Just ordered two more shrub roses. "Darcey Bussell" & "The Poet's Wife" to go with the "Roald Dahl" I ordered the other day. Fair old mix of colours to brighten the borders up... :hapflowers2:
    Just ordered two more shrub roses. "Darcey Bussell" & "The Poet's Wife" to go with the "Roald Dahl" I ordered the other day. Fair old mix of colours to brighten the borders up... :hapflowers2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Cordy
    Like x 7

Test Photo from a newbie

Saw this on internet which inspired me Steps on mine are pared down lolly sticks can-sprayed cherry red Yes neighbour's g/daughter loves it ! This Spring they repainted it
    Saw this on internet which inspired me Steps on mine are pared down lolly sticks can-sprayed cherry red Yes neighbour's g/daughter loves it ! This Spring they repainted it
    MJZVEOEh.jpg 001mwfCQYepjBrZkaKFFSbokJw.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. steevjp

Propogator and Germination

OK, ill see how it goes. I am in a flat so only a couple balconies and then windowsills
    OK, ill see how it goes. I am in a flat so only a couple balconies and then windowsills
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Sarah Eley

Pots at the top of our steps?

Thanks so much Caroline L! We bought two euonymus fortunei emerald gaiety and so far so good...apart from the snail caviar we found under one plant!Hopefully they will make decent spheres...
    Thanks so much Caroline L! We bought two euonymus fortunei emerald gaiety and so far so good...apart from the snail caviar we found under one plant!Hopefully they will make decent spheres before Christmas.
    Thanks so much Caroline L! We bought two euonymus fortunei emerald gaiety and so far so good...apart from the snail caviar we found under one plant!Hopefully they will make decent spheres before Christmas.
    Thanks so much Caroline L! We bought two euonymus fortunei emerald gaiety and so far so good...apart from the snail caviar we found under one plant!Hopefully they will make decent spheres...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Laxeiro

Brown leaves in Strawberries in pots

@Laxeiro It's great that they are productive already, enjoy it! Mine have been visited by lovely squirrels.. My guess is that they were quite good, but I'll have to ask the pesky rodents for an...
    @Laxeiro It's great that they are productive already, enjoy it! Mine have been visited by lovely squirrels.. My guess is that they were quite good, but I'll have to ask the pesky rodents for an opinion, because they left none to try :D
    @Laxeiro It's great that they are productive already, enjoy it! Mine have been visited by lovely squirrels.. My guess is that they were quite good, but I'll have to ask the pesky rodents for an opinion, because they left none to try :D
    @Laxeiro It's great that they are productive already, enjoy it! Mine have been visited by lovely squirrels.. My guess is that they were quite good, but I'll have to ask the pesky rodents for an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Rip

Could I grow a bamboo screen in this size container?

One thing about the container and its strength, be very careful that the type of bamboo you get does not blow the contained area out and you or your neighbour have to start afresh with the screen.
    One thing about the container and its strength, be very careful that the type of bamboo you get does not blow the contained area out and you or your neighbour have to start afresh with the screen.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Aldo

How many basil plants for a planter (L 60cm, W 18cm, H 18cm) ?

@CanadianLori We are all very utilitarian over here :) I might try and see if I can get some to seed, if I manage enough plants.
    @CanadianLori We are all very utilitarian over here :) I might try and see if I can get some to seed, if I manage enough plants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Becky White

Dwarf magnolia in a container?

Thank you. We have replanted in a smaller pot and will be more cautious when watering to see if it recovers. Finger crossed!
    Thank you. We have replanted in a smaller pot and will be more cautious when watering to see if it recovers. Finger crossed!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Hazel Twigg

Coreopsis moonbeam

Thanks Pete. I will stick it in a pot with a SW aspect and hope for the best.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Elizabeth Boland

Azalea help

Its probably chlorosis, lack of iron. It needs acidic soil which would allow it to take up iron more easily.You could repot but I would water with sequestrene or chelated iron. Once a season is...
    Its probably chlorosis, lack of iron. It needs acidic soil which would allow it to take up iron more easily.You could repot but I would water with sequestrene or chelated iron. Once a season is usually enough.5 x 15g Sachets Sequestered Iron Plant Tonic Feed Food With Magnesium | eBay
    Its probably chlorosis, lack of iron. It needs acidic soil which would allow it to take up iron more easily.You could repot but I would water with sequestrene or chelated iron. Once a season is usually enough.5 x 15g Sachets Sequestered Iron...
    Its probably chlorosis, lack of iron. It needs acidic soil which would allow it to take up iron more easily.You could repot but I would water with sequestrene or chelated iron. Once a season is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. J.Conrad

Evergreen plants for stone vases.

I've still got Blushing Bride in a pot on the patio @Victoria, and while it can develop little white flowers it doesn't readily do so. They're unobtrusive in any case.
    I've still got Blushing Bride in a pot on the patio @Victoria, and while it can develop little white flowers it doesn't readily do so. They're unobtrusive in any case.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. robbo

Dahlias in containers.

Just a tip or two.The practice of starting tubers off in trays etc is mainly to aid earlier shoots providing cuttings material. The tubers should be planted with the top of the old stem just...
    Just a tip or two.The practice of starting tubers off in trays etc is mainly to aid earlier shoots providing cuttings material. The tubers should be planted with the top of the old stem just showing abobe soil level, either in containers or the open ground.New shoots grow from close to the...
    Just a tip or two.The practice of starting tubers off in trays etc is mainly to aid earlier shoots providing cuttings material. The tubers should be planted with the top of the old stem just showing abobe soil level, either in containers or...
    Just a tip or two.The practice of starting tubers off in trays etc is mainly to aid earlier shoots providing cuttings material. The tubers should be planted with the top of the old stem just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jimfin

Raised Bed on Patio

Hi,As far as we are aware, normal compost is treated with enough fertiizer to last up to 6 weeks. Nothing to stop you adding some Osmacote slow release ferilizer like you typically use in...
    Hi,As far as we are aware, normal compost is treated with enough fertiizer to last up to 6 weeks. Nothing to stop you adding some Osmacote slow release ferilizer like you typically use in hanging baskets.If you want to enrich it more suggest you use the ready prepared Farmyard manures like...
    Hi,As far as we are aware, normal compost is treated with enough fertiizer to last up to 6 weeks. Nothing to stop you adding some Osmacote slow release ferilizer like you typically use in hanging baskets.If you want to enrich it more suggest...
    Hi,As far as we are aware, normal compost is treated with enough fertiizer to last up to 6 weeks. Nothing to stop you adding some Osmacote slow release ferilizer like you typically use in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. beefpotnoodle

Bamboo screen

I really feel for you. Thats terrible and I concur with everyone else. Though as an idea if you are planning to move in the near future, how about just making the area decorative for your own...
    I really feel for you. Thats terrible and I concur with everyone else. Though as an idea if you are planning to move in the near future, how about just making the area decorative for your own purposes while you are still living there. You still need to enjoy your home space. Maybe artificial...
    I really feel for you. Thats terrible and I concur with everyone else. Though as an idea if you are planning to move in the near future, how about just making the area decorative for your own purposes while you are still living there. You still...
    I really feel for you. Thats terrible and I concur with everyone else. Though as an idea if you are planning to move in the near future, how about just making the area decorative for your own...
    fence aside of decking.jpg fence aside of decking.jpg 15882541047881836410580362650633.jpg Artificial screen.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Aldo

Soil blocks VS paper pots and other seeding alternatives to plastic pots

@CanadianLori Yes, it really saves lots of space and it goes quite fast once one gets the hang of it ! Today it was raining all day, so I have been lazy but tomorrow I will prepare some more :)
    @CanadianLori Yes, it really saves lots of space and it goes quite fast once one gets the hang of it ! Today it was raining all day, so I have been lazy but tomorrow I will prepare some more :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. KevJ

Salad vegetable in containers

I use lots of pallets wood, which is tipically treated, and other recycled materials, so I line mine cheaply with a few layers of either black bin bags or compost bags. That should be safe enough.
    I use lots of pallets wood, which is tipically treated, and other recycled materials, so I line mine cheaply with a few layers of either black bin bags or compost bags. That should be safe enough.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice