1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. KevJ

Salad vegetable in containers

I use lots of pallets wood, which is tipically treated, and other recycled materials, so I line mine cheaply with a few layers of either black bin bags or compost bags. That should be safe enough.
    I use lots of pallets wood, which is tipically treated, and other recycled materials, so I line mine cheaply with a few layers of either black bin bags or compost bags. That should be safe enough.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. FlyFifer

Hosta Grandiol?

So.......I decided to go back to the shop and get a couple, one a nice variegated one so that`s them potted on as they had a very healthy root system. I mulched to top of the pots with bark so...
    So.......I decided to go back to the shop and get a couple, one a nice variegated one so that`s them potted on as they had a very healthy root system. I mulched to top of the pots with bark so hopefully will keep the slugs at bay.
    So.......I decided to go back to the shop and get a couple, one a nice variegated one so that`s them potted on as they had a very healthy root system. I mulched to top of the pots with bark so hopefully will keep the slugs at bay.
    So.......I decided to go back to the shop and get a couple, one a nice variegated one so that`s them potted on as they had a very healthy root system. I mulched to top of the pots with bark so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sarah Eley
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Sarah Eley

Ideas for all year round colour/shape in pots in semi shade?

Brilliant ideas. Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marc123

Bamboo screen replacement

Sounds like that might help. Check with parents if they have been feeding theirs - if so that may be all that yours need to cheer them up.
    Sounds like that might help. Check with parents if they have been feeding theirs - if so that may be all that yours need to cheer them up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sarah Eley

Magnolia Susan not thriving

Just thought you might like to see the impact repotting has had on our Susan!
    Susan.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. RookieGardener

What to plant in my containers?

There is century-old science that water will not readily move between layers - so better to organise the bottom to be soil-to-air rather than soil-to-gravel-to-air ... but ... when I see that it...
    There is century-old science that water will not readily move between layers - so better to organise the bottom to be soil-to-air rather than soil-to-gravel-to-air ... but ... when I see that it says nothing about a clay pot with only one drainage hole in the middle and providing a means for...
    There is century-old science that water will not readily move between layers - so better to organise the bottom to be soil-to-air rather than soil-to-gravel-to-air ... but ... when I see that it says nothing about a clay pot with only one...
    There is century-old science that water will not readily move between layers - so better to organise the bottom to be soil-to-air rather than soil-to-gravel-to-air ... but ... when I see that it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ennnceee

Watering my Aloe!

Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea.I have a wonderful (to my eyes), greatly overcrowded, but very healthy Aloe Vera in our north-facing bay window. I say healthy, well, the main, upright section...
    Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea.I have a wonderful (to my eyes), greatly overcrowded, but very healthy Aloe Vera in our north-facing bay window. I say healthy, well, the main, upright section recently collapsed under its weight, but, at the same time it has produced two flower spikes, so it...
    Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea.I have a wonderful (to my eyes), greatly overcrowded, but very healthy Aloe Vera in our north-facing bay window. I say healthy, well, the main, upright section recently collapsed under its weight, but, at the same...
    Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea.I have a wonderful (to my eyes), greatly overcrowded, but very healthy Aloe Vera in our north-facing bay window. I say healthy, well, the main, upright section...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. AdamBordman

Container Grown Clematis leaves discoloured

It's a characteristic pf Clematis Armandii that initially worries many a new owner , Adam:dunno: let me/us know how you get on with it as once it's settled in the ground it will grow away at quite a...
    It's a characteristic pf Clematis Armandii that initially worries many a new owner , Adam:dunno: let me/us know how you get on with it as once it's settled in the ground it will grow away at quite a rate and will flower for you next year if it doesn't this year.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:
    It's a characteristic pf Clematis Armandii that initially worries many a new owner , Adam:dunno: let me/us know how you get on with it as once it's settled in the ground it will grow away at quite a rate and will flower for you next year if it doesn't...
    It's a characteristic pf Clematis Armandii that initially worries many a new owner , Adam:dunno: let me/us know how you get on with it as once it's settled in the ground it will grow away at quite a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. PhilC

Howoong do Lavender cuttings take to root?

I bought plugs ... cheap as chips :) Van Meuwen have knobbled their website at present, so i can't see Qty/Prices, can't remember exactly but around 10-20p eachby the Autumn they were...
    I bought plugs ... cheap as chips :) Van Meuwen have knobbled their website at present, so i can't see Qty/Prices, can't remember exactly but around 10-20p eachby the Autumn they were ready (but I didn't plant until early Summer following year)
    I bought plugs ... cheap as chips :) Van Meuwen have knobbled their website at present, so i can't see Qty/Prices, can't remember exactly but around 10-20p eachby the Autumn they were ready (but I didn't plant until early Summer following...
    I bought plugs ... cheap as chips :) Van Meuwen have knobbled their website at present, so i can't see Qty/Prices, can't remember exactly but around 10-20p eachby the Autumn they were...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jojeba

Yellowing fig plant - am I over or under watering?

Looks like Ficus carica , never seen one grown as a house plant before.They tend to be deciduous when growing outdoors, I'm really surprised it has leaves at this time of the year.
    Looks like Ficus carica , never seen one grown as a house plant before.They tend to be deciduous when growing outdoors, I'm really surprised it has leaves at this time of the year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. busybee

A little container advice needed please....

Yeah, its a thug. Don't plant it out, don't share its container with anything else, and don't let its roots escape into the soil through the drainage holes.
    Yeah, its a thug. Don't plant it out, don't share its container with anything else, and don't let its roots escape into the soil through the drainage holes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Daniel Andrew

Recommendations for plant pots

I've never thought much of them for plants, but maybe their plant quality has improved?I do buy, and have been very happy with, a lot of bulbs from them (actually from their Parkers Wholesale...
    I've never thought much of them for plants, but maybe their plant quality has improved?I do buy, and have been very happy with, a lot of bulbs from them (actually from their Parkers Wholesale arm - they seem to be happy to sell bulbs in relatively small quantities)Out of curiosity I had a...
    I've never thought much of them for plants, but maybe their plant quality has improved?I do buy, and have been very happy with, a lot of bulbs from them (actually from their Parkers Wholesale arm - they seem to be happy to sell bulbs in...
    I've never thought much of them for plants, but maybe their plant quality has improved?I do buy, and have been very happy with, a lot of bulbs from them (actually from their Parkers Wholesale...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. TheWingco

Yucca - are these roots?

Thanks fellas. Can't say what variety it is as - along with a couple of other similarly affected varieties - it was rescued from a deceased's garden.
    Thanks fellas. Can't say what variety it is as - along with a couple of other similarly affected varieties - it was rescued from a deceased's garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Neilly

Advice with planter...

Thank you both for your words of wisdom! Will definitely take a look at all that you’ve mentioned-thank you!
    Thank you both for your words of wisdom! Will definitely take a look at all that you’ve mentioned-thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jeremy Field

Which soil/compost needed for growing Thuja Smaragd Emerald in planters?

Cypress roots generally go down more than they go out, so the pot might limit growth. They also don't grow as fast as you might want for a screen.Bamboo will certainly do the job well, and it'll...
    Cypress roots generally go down more than they go out, so the pot might limit growth. They also don't grow as fast as you might want for a screen.Bamboo will certainly do the job well, and it'll give you your screen more quickly. It's also damn near impossible to kill. I like green stemmed...
    Cypress roots generally go down more than they go out, so the pot might limit growth. They also don't grow as fast as you might want for a screen.Bamboo will certainly do the job well, and it'll give you your screen more quickly. It's also damn...
    Cypress roots generally go down more than they go out, so the pot might limit growth. They also don't grow as fast as you might want for a screen.Bamboo will certainly do the job well, and it'll...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Howard Stone

Where's the best place to buy compost online?

Why not contact your local garden centers, lots of them will deliver and you usually have a decent selection of well known brands to choose from.
    Why not contact your local garden centers, lots of them will deliver and you usually have a decent selection of well known brands to choose from.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Nikolaos

Drainage In Containers

My guest room is pink and I HAVE been tempted to paint elephants on the ceiling :whistle:
    My guest room is pink and I HAVE been tempted to paint elephants on the ceiling :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Thomas stock

Bamboo planter advice please

Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build for them? I was thinking about 2no, 1.5m x 300mm x 400mm in height.Will have removable back for...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build for them? I was thinking about 2no, 1.5m x 300mm...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build...
    20191005_143705.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Loki
    Like x 3

Spring bulbs..... in pots. What are you all planning?

I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. ...
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. Have to ponder this.
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. Have to ponder this.
    I don't pot them. But last spring thought about setting up one of my hanging pots with bulbs to put out by my mailbox in April and have them bloom there. I have a hook thing at my mail box. ...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice