Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. ashley1234

Cordyline going yellow

Ok , I leave them to drop naturally and just talk to it !
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Delta

What causes acers to change colour?

Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much older soil and top dressed etc. CarolineL - thanks so much for that encouragement on its health, as...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much older soil and top dressed etc. CarolineL - thanks...
    Thanks so much for that info - all very interesting. Marley - it's in a container but I've got severe hand arthritis so fully repotting it has proven painful so I've just really removed as much...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Howard Stone

How do you make Magnolia Grandiflora in containers come into flower?

Just given mine a good dose of slow release high potash fertiliser, fingers crossed.
    Just given mine a good dose of slow release high potash fertiliser, fingers crossed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Howard Stone

Non Biodegradable Pot Liners

I had a big problem removing box topiary, I really don’t want to go through it again!But it looks as though not all plants attach themselves to the terracotta.
    I had a big problem removing box topiary, I really don’t want to go through it again!But it looks as though not all plants attach themselves to the terracotta.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Who am I?

I need to buy a big tub for a Phyllostachys nigra.

Thanks for the link mazambo.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NessaJ70

Planting ideas for large pot on patio

Oh that's great Nessa. Pleased you found something you're happy with. Which is after all the main objective! Good for you :hapflowers2:
    Oh that's great Nessa. Pleased you found something you're happy with. Which is after all the main objective! Good for you :hapflowers2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. mazambo

Wilko tub and basket compost

Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat +...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat + gel and food for 6 weeks, not going to freak about it, it'll be used up because I've got it but i...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat + gel and food for 6 weeks, not going to freak about...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat +...
    20190603_184923.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Leanne2511

Container sizes for burying these plants?

I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.The plants you have put in, how long have they...
    I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.The plants you have put in, how long have they been planted? 2 weeks? I suggest the root balls have dried out, once dry, they are difficult to re...
    I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.The plants you have put in, how long have they been planted? 2 weeks? I suggest the root balls...
    I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.The plants you have put in, how long have they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Lillybell

Olive tree - brown leaf tips Help please

Ok thank you @pete you’ve been a great help to me
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. RyanOtekki

Acer not growing

Looks to me like the new growth is being killed off by cold winds. I think that is often a problem with Acers, they like a sheltered position away from hot sun in summer and winds when the new...
    Looks to me like the new growth is being killed off by cold winds. I think that is often a problem with Acers, they like a sheltered position away from hot sun in summer and winds when the new foliage is forming in spring.
    Looks to me like the new growth is being killed off by cold winds. I think that is often a problem with Acers, they like a sheltered position away from hot sun in summer and winds when the new foliage is forming in spring.
    Looks to me like the new growth is being killed off by cold winds. I think that is often a problem with Acers, they like a sheltered position away from hot sun in summer and winds when the new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. mazambo

Bacopa snowtonia

Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their...
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their current pots until the end of May, they do have an awful lot of roots in there?
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their current pots until the end of May, they do have an...
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their...
    20190426_132114.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Markymark

Shrubs for shade?

Hey! Excellent. Enjoy your rum...have one for me :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jupes

Basket help please

Thanks Harry. I always appreciate others opinions. I shall look at Sutton’s etc.
    Thanks Harry. I always appreciate others opinions. I shall look at Sutton’s etc.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jack Sparrow

Ericaceous trailing plants?

Always good to have options anyway. :) I can see the merits both ways :)I have come to appreciate plant associations in containers more these days....from a perspective previously of single...
    Always good to have options anyway. :) I can see the merits both ways :)I have come to appreciate plant associations in containers more these days....from a perspective previously of single subjects only. They can make a planting more attractive, interesting and help disguise a less than...
    Always good to have options anyway. :) I can see the merits both ways :)I have come to appreciate plant associations in containers more these days....from a perspective previously of single subjects only. They can make a planting more...
    Always good to have options anyway. :) I can see the merits both ways :)I have come to appreciate plant associations in containers more these days....from a perspective previously of single...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. SWales

Flowers for in pots at July wedding

How about coleus has amazing folliage and no worry about timeing with flowering
    upload_2019-3-13_10-45-11.jpeg upload_2019-3-13_10-45-20.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. GardenSoul

Camelia yellow and weak leaves - please help

Your most welcome :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. mazambo

Well drained soil

Ah! Agastaches are a favourite of mine mazambo....they are usually hardy down here. There are some tasty varieties esp the kudos varieties. Easy from cuttings too:) The secret is not to water...
    Ah! Agastaches are a favourite of mine mazambo....they are usually hardy down here. There are some tasty varieties esp the kudos varieties. Easy from cuttings too:) The secret is not to water them unless during a really dry spell. Treat em mean and they will flower all summer long. :) Actually I...
    Ah! Agastaches are a favourite of mine mazambo....they are usually hardy down here. There are some tasty varieties esp the kudos varieties. Easy from cuttings too:) The secret is not to water them unless during a really dry spell. Treat em mean...
    Ah! Agastaches are a favourite of mine mazambo....they are usually hardy down here. There are some tasty varieties esp the kudos varieties. Easy from cuttings too:) The secret is not to water...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. totalwise

Plant ideas for a decorative planter (front garden)

Love that planter! Looks fab!You haven't said what position the container is in (facing north, south, east or west), or what type of weather it will have to contend with (hot sun, wind, etc)....
    Love that planter! Looks fab!You haven't said what position the container is in (facing north, south, east or west), or what type of weather it will have to contend with (hot sun, wind, etc). This information is pretty important. Without it, no-one can suggest plants that would definitely be...
    Love that planter! Looks fab!You haven't said what position the container is in (facing north, south, east or west), or what type of weather it will have to contend with (hot sun, wind, etc). This information is pretty important. Without it,...
    Love that planter! Looks fab!You haven't said what position the container is in (facing north, south, east or west), or what type of weather it will have to contend with (hot sun, wind, etc)....
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Plowii

Problems with my Bay Tree

"...it still hasn't dried out on the surface, although from certain angles the surface of the soil in the pot appears green, so *something* must be growing!..."If the soil in the pot looks...
    "...it still hasn't dried out on the surface, although from certain angles the surface of the soil in the pot appears green, so *something* must be growing!..."If the soil in the pot looks green, you're massively overwatering your poor Bay and causing algae to grow and thrive. Plus, the water...
    "...it still hasn't dried out on the surface, although from certain angles the surface of the soil in the pot appears green, so *something* must be growing!..."If the soil in the pot looks green, you're massively overwatering your poor Bay and...
    "...it still hasn't dried out on the surface, although from certain angles the surface of the soil in the pot appears green, so *something* must be growing!..."If the soil in the pot looks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. garjobo79

Dynamic, leafy plants for containers - just like the ones on the telly

I'm late to the party, but just wanted to add that if you go for bamboo, avoid the running types - go for the clumping types as these will be much happier in a container, and for much longer...
    I'm late to the party, but just wanted to add that if you go for bamboo, avoid the running types - go for the clumping types as these will be much happier in a container, and for much longer before they need a major root chop and replanting.Bamboos prefer shade (or part-shade at the very...
    I'm late to the party, but just wanted to add that if you go for bamboo, avoid the running types - go for the clumping types as these will be much happier in a container, and for much longer before they need a major root chop and...
    I'm late to the party, but just wanted to add that if you go for bamboo, avoid the running types - go for the clumping types as these will be much happier in a container, and for much longer...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice