Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

VEGETABLE GROWING 2020

I got a rather large vegetable pest, has eaten most of my Aspargus in the garden and any veg I leave on the worktop (not parsnips though, she left that in the garden)!And the culprit...
    I got a rather large vegetable pest, has eaten most of my Aspargus in the garden and any veg I leave on the worktop (not parsnips though, she left that in the garden)!And the culprit is.......... our young German Shepherd!
    I got a rather large vegetable pest, has eaten most of my Aspargus in the garden and any veg I leave on the worktop (not parsnips though, she left that in the garden)!And the culprit is.......... our young German Shepherd!
    I got a rather large vegetable pest, has eaten most of my Aspargus in the garden and any veg I leave on the worktop (not parsnips though, she left that in the garden)!And the culprit...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

CHILLIES 2020

You've hit the nail (not needle :heehee:) on the head as there are over 2,000 varieties! Keep the seed but they may not grow true as you have other varieties and they're notoriously promiscuous.
    You've hit the nail (not needle :heehee:) on the head as there are over 2,000 varieties! Keep the seed but they may not grow true as you have other varieties and they're notoriously promiscuous.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2020

The most successful of them is the Morrisons Grape tomato:Planted over the late May Bank Holiday weekend.I can't remember the original cultivar name but they do resemble the current...
    The most successful of them is the Morrisons Grape tomato:Planted over the late May Bank Holiday weekend.I can't remember the original cultivar name but they do resemble the current Morrisons Baby Plum Funtelle tomato.I also grew the Morrisons "Savers" (ie cheapest) tomato last year,...
    The most successful of them is the Morrisons Grape tomato:Planted over the late May Bank Holiday weekend.I can't remember the original cultivar name but they do resemble the current Morrisons Baby Plum Funtelle tomato.I also grew the...
    The most successful of them is the Morrisons Grape tomato:Planted over the late May Bank Holiday weekend.I can't remember the original cultivar name but they do resemble the current...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK
    Like x 5

Giant Onions 2020

Wow @JWK yours are huge compared to mine but I will use the excuse that someone, a few years ago, told me to plant them out in early April. Even here in Canada. He said, "they are made of...
    Wow @JWK yours are huge compared to mine but I will use the excuse that someone, a few years ago, told me to plant them out in early April. Even here in Canada. He said, "they are made of antifreeze". Stupid me because I did it again this year. :doh: Thank goodness I don't have any advice from that...
    Wow @JWK yours are huge compared to mine but I will use the excuse that someone, a few years ago, told me to plant them out in early April. Even here in Canada. He said, "they are made of antifreeze". Stupid me because I did it again this year. :doh: ...
    Wow @JWK yours are huge compared to mine but I will use the excuse that someone, a few years ago, told me to plant them out in early April. Even here in Canada. He said, "they are made of...
    5DF80F3D-688B-415D-9F17-4736F419A258.jpeg 20200516_172748.jpg 15896563634101353841077.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Ahem, I will be doing and have done some grafting this year.I have dispensed with the use of healing chambers as I found them to be quite cumbersome and took up too much valuable space.Of...
    Ahem, I will be doing and have done some grafting this year.I have dispensed with the use of healing chambers as I found them to be quite cumbersome and took up too much valuable space.Of course, this meant employing grafting techniques which don't require ultra careful control of heat,...
    Ahem, I will be doing and have done some grafting this year.I have dispensed with the use of healing chambers as I found them to be quite cumbersome and took up too much valuable space.Of course, this meant employing grafting techniques...
    Ahem, I will be doing and have done some grafting this year.I have dispensed with the use of healing chambers as I found them to be quite cumbersome and took up too much valuable space.Of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

GARDENERS DELIGHT SEED AND GERMINATION AND GROWING 2020

Sown Gardener's Delight 2005 & 2012 today :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steve R
    Like x 14

Sowing seeds too early.

Very useful information Steve :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  11.   » Normal Threads
  12. jls

alderman pea plants

Alderman are an old fashioned variety that don't start to flower until quite tall. They have good flavour and crop over several weeks. In dry weather they appreciate plenty of water, a good soak...
    Alderman are an old fashioned variety that don't start to flower until quite tall. They have good flavour and crop over several weeks. In dry weather they appreciate plenty of water, a good soak once or twice a week rather than a sprinkle every day.
    Alderman are an old fashioned variety that don't start to flower until quite tall. They have good flavour and crop over several weeks. In dry weather they appreciate plenty of water, a good soak once or twice a week rather than a sprinkle every day.
    Alderman are an old fashioned variety that don't start to flower until quite tall. They have good flavour and crop over several weeks. In dry weather they appreciate plenty of water, a good soak...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Snowbaby

Butternut squash plants

Hiare you planting in the garden/balcony ? they wont produce any fruit in the house the " spindly finger shoot things? " are called tenderils they help the plant support it self as it grows as...
    Hiare you planting in the garden/balcony ? they wont produce any fruit in the house the " spindly finger shoot things? " are called tenderils they help the plant support it self as it grows as they will twine around twigs etc to climb ... so leave then on
    Hiare you planting in the garden/balcony ? they wont produce any fruit in the house the " spindly finger shoot things? " are called tenderils they help the plant support it self as it grows as they will twine around twigs etc to climb ... so...
    Hiare you planting in the garden/balcony ? they wont produce any fruit in the house the " spindly finger shoot things? " are called tenderils they help the plant support it self as it grows as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Shaun Rimmer

Any Strawberry experts or knowledgeable enthusiast help me get up to speed?..

@Alisa have you had any reply as yet?
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Arlandria

Strawberries

If your berries are June bearers, I would remove the runners for the moment, while they are fruiting. In July, when they are done producing, I would pin the runners in pots until they form roots...
    If your berries are June bearers, I would remove the runners for the moment, while they are fruiting. In July, when they are done producing, I would pin the runners in pots until they form roots and then cut the runners and replant the baby plants immediately. That way they will have lots of...
    If your berries are June bearers, I would remove the runners for the moment, while they are fruiting. In July, when they are done producing, I would pin the runners in pots until they form roots and then cut the runners and replant the baby...
    If your berries are June bearers, I would remove the runners for the moment, while they are fruiting. In July, when they are done producing, I would pin the runners in pots until they form roots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK

The Tatties Thread 2020

First picking today, this is one root grown in containers in an unheated greenhouse:Mine didn't flower so I was fooled into thinking they weren't ready, however they are the size of bakers,...
    First picking today, this is one root grown in containers in an unheated greenhouse:Mine didn't flower so I was fooled into thinking they weren't ready, however they are the size of bakers, should have tried pulling up one a week or so ago. Size 9 clog for size.
    First picking today, this is one root grown in containers in an unheated greenhouse:Mine didn't flower so I was fooled into thinking they weren't ready, however they are the size of bakers, should have tried pulling up one a week or so ago....
    First picking today, this is one root grown in containers in an unheated greenhouse:Mine didn't flower so I was fooled into thinking they weren't ready, however they are the size of bakers,...
    20200328_113202.jpg 20200328_113603.jpg 20200328_113731.jpg 20200328_115733.jpg spuds in cells.jpg big spuds2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. beefpotnoodle
    Like x 3

Advice on the forum....

So next year I think I'm going to totally rotate. Leave the beds to recover a year. Thinking of getting some pallet collars, 2 sets of 2 gives me 12" I think. Which should be okay for most of what...
    So next year I think I'm going to totally rotate. Leave the beds to recover a year. Thinking of getting some pallet collars, 2 sets of 2 gives me 12" I think. Which should be okay for most of what I grow. Would manure and compost be enough to develop suitable soil profile to grow in?
    So next year I think I'm going to totally rotate. Leave the beds to recover a year. Thinking of getting some pallet collars, 2 sets of 2 gives me 12" I think. Which should be okay for most of what I grow. Would manure and compost be enough to...
    So next year I think I'm going to totally rotate. Leave the beds to recover a year. Thinking of getting some pallet collars, 2 sets of 2 gives me 12" I think. Which should be okay for most of what...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Paul waterhouse

Coming along nicely

I had the beans in modules in the polytunnel, so can't say it was the wind for mine. Like you, I think direct sowing is the way to go - In fact, I may even try them direct this weekend.It's...
    I had the beans in modules in the polytunnel, so can't say it was the wind for mine. Like you, I think direct sowing is the way to go - In fact, I may even try them direct this weekend.It's amazing how fast topsoil seems to disappear, and you always end up needing more that you think. :)
    I had the beans in modules in the polytunnel, so can't say it was the wind for mine. Like you, I think direct sowing is the way to go - In fact, I may even try them direct this weekend.It's amazing how fast topsoil seems to disappear, and you...
    I had the beans in modules in the polytunnel, so can't say it was the wind for mine. Like you, I think direct sowing is the way to go - In fact, I may even try them direct this weekend.It's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. misterQ

Post pictures of your radishes here...

Good effort but I have a sneaky feeling that too much neglect fertiliser was used on them. A little at the beginning or at the mid bulging stage would give better results.
    Good effort but I have a sneaky feeling that too much neglect fertiliser was used on them. A little at the beginning or at the mid bulging stage would give better results.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Aldo

Tromboncino squash - Split stem - Shall I remove it?

Well, here are a few photos showing the stem itself, the plant and another tromboncino to compare. They seem to be doing equally well, so perhaps I should just bury the split secton in soil rather...
    Well, here are a few photos showing the stem itself, the plant and another tromboncino to compare. They seem to be doing equally well, so perhaps I should just bury the split secton in soil rather digging out the plant and putting something else in?
    Well, here are a few photos showing the stem itself, the plant and another tromboncino to compare. They seem to be doing equally well, so perhaps I should just bury the split secton in soil rather digging out the plant and putting something else...
    Well, here are a few photos showing the stem itself, the plant and another tromboncino to compare. They seem to be doing equally well, so perhaps I should just bury the split secton in soil rather...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Aldo

Cucamelon - Are single plants productive?

@Selleri What happened with the Agretti last year, out of curiosity? They did not grow well? Or did they turn up not as tasty as hoped?
    @Selleri What happened with the Agretti last year, out of curiosity? They did not grow well? Or did they turn up not as tasty as hoped?
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Freddy
    Informative x 5

A Word Of Warning!

Freddy, my French Beans haven't grow much also, I'd leave them, give them a chance if you can.
    Freddy, my French Beans haven't grow much also, I'd leave them, give them a chance if you can.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. David Cook

Tracking what you planted

I don't track. At work I track everything, and even have a tracker to track my trackers. :biggrin: In the garden I rely on gut feeling, if a spot looks like it could do with Daffodils then surely I planted...
    I don't track. At work I track everything, and even have a tracker to track my trackers. :biggrin: In the garden I rely on gut feeling, if a spot looks like it could do with Daffodils then surely I planted some in... :scratch: Advancing years give a bonus thrill when plants I definitely did not sow turn up :heehee:For...
    I don't track. At work I track everything, and even have a tracker to track my trackers. :biggrin: In the garden I rely on gut feeling, if a spot looks like it could do with Daffodils then surely I planted some in... :scratch: Advancing years give a bonus thrill...
    I don't track. At work I track everything, and even have a tracker to track my trackers. :biggrin: In the garden I rely on gut feeling, if a spot looks like it could do with Daffodils then surely I planted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Telmadee

Another cucumber question

@pete thank you so much
    @pete thank you so much
    @pete thank you so much
    @pete thank you so much
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Sophocles

Calabrese Brocolli or Cut and Come Again Lettuce? ID plz

Brassicas tend to have grey green foliage and an almost waxlike look to the surface. Lettuce tend to be brighter, more densely packed leaves, little or no visible stem, thinner glossier...
    Brassicas tend to have grey green foliage and an almost waxlike look to the surface. Lettuce tend to be brighter, more densely packed leaves, little or no visible stem, thinner glossier leaves. The top one looks more like a broccoli and the bottom one with the crinkle edge leaves looks like a...
    Brassicas tend to have grey green foliage and an almost waxlike look to the surface. Lettuce tend to be brighter, more densely packed leaves, little or no visible stem, thinner glossier leaves. The top one looks more like a broccoli and the...
    Brassicas tend to have grey green foliage and an almost waxlike look to the surface. Lettuce tend to be brighter, more densely packed leaves, little or no visible stem, thinner glossier...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. RobB

Marrows and courgettes

Ever tried making marrow rum ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. clum111

When to put herbs outside?

@pete Thanks for the advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. TheMadHedger

Rhubarb - problems with 'new' crown

A friend of my wife's has a lot of rhubarb (which she doesn't even like!) and she gave my wife a crown last winter. I planted it in a nice, sunny spot (the soil is a bit 'clay-like' but I added...
    A friend of my wife's has a lot of rhubarb (which she doesn't even like!) and she gave my wife a crown last winter. I planted it in a nice, sunny spot (the soil is a bit 'clay-like' but I added some good, free draining soil to the hole before planting the crown). I made sure that the tip of the...
    A friend of my wife's has a lot of rhubarb (which she doesn't even like!) and she gave my wife a crown last winter. I planted it in a nice, sunny spot (the soil is a bit 'clay-like' but I added some good, free draining soil to the hole before...
    A friend of my wife's has a lot of rhubarb (which she doesn't even like!) and she gave my wife a crown last winter. I planted it in a nice, sunny spot (the soil is a bit 'clay-like' but I added...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. foxyloxy

Rhubarb Advice

Funny you should ask that now! Just this evening as I was watering them, I decided that I might turn them (two rhubarb not showing any sign of life)out gently to see if anything is occurring out...
    Funny you should ask that now! Just this evening as I was watering them, I decided that I might turn them (two rhubarb not showing any sign of life)out gently to see if anything is occurring out of sight. Nigel advised patience, so I am waiting with fingers crossed.
    Funny you should ask that now! Just this evening as I was watering them, I decided that I might turn them (two rhubarb not showing any sign of life)out gently to see if anything is occurring out of sight. Nigel advised patience, so I am waiting...
    Funny you should ask that now! Just this evening as I was watering them, I decided that I might turn them (two rhubarb not showing any sign of life)out gently to see if anything is occurring out...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. JenniferA

Advice requested on growing raspberries

Thank you for all of your help @ricky101 . I will try to get some bigger pots in the future and some more compost and then look at getting some new plants.
    Thank you for all of your help @ricky101 . I will try to get some bigger pots in the future and some more compost and then look at getting some new plants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Paul Blackburn

Question about cucumbers

The cucumbers will be more tender, so it makes sense perhaps that they are not doing as well as the courgettes.
    The cucumbers will be more tender, so it makes sense perhaps that they are not doing as well as the courgettes.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice