1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Congratulations to Sheal for winning the January Photo Competition!
    AND
    That also makes Sheal our first entry in the Champion of Champions thread for 2018!

February's Photo Competition is now open, with December's winner Canadian Lori choosing the theme - February: Bliss or Bleak?

The Recipes area of the forum continues to thrive, with a library of tasty recipes growing all the time - if you have any suggestions, please do join in with the Recipes Sub-Forum Discussion

Or, why not learn something from our very own resident CHEF!

Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

THE TATTIES THREAD 2018

I'm off to my local 'potato day' this weekend where some local NVS potato growing experts attend, so if anybody has got some potato related questions I'll try and get them answered (I try and...
    I'm off to my local 'potato day' this weekend where some local NVS potato growing experts attend, so if anybody has got some potato related questions I'll try and get them answered (I try and devise new and increasingly difficult questions for them every year :biggrin: ).
    I'm off to my local 'potato day' this weekend where some local NVS potato growing experts attend, so if anybody has got some potato related questions I'll try and get them answered (I try and devise new and increasingly difficult questions for...
    I'm off to my local 'potato day' this weekend where some local NVS potato growing experts attend, so if anybody has got some potato related questions I'll try and get them answered (I try and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

THE CHILLIES THREAD 2018

That's good to know. It's my first time with both "Hungarians". I think, living in the heart of Europe, I have to be pro-European!! :):heehee:Seriously, I love pickled chillies, and even stuffed chillies,...
    That's good to know. It's my first time with both "Hungarians". I think, living in the heart of Europe, I have to be pro-European!! :):heehee:Seriously, I love pickled chillies, and even stuffed chillies, so they will be very popular here.
    That's good to know. It's my first time with both "Hungarians". I think, living in the heart of Europe, I have to be pro-European!! :):heehee:Seriously, I love pickled chillies, and even stuffed chillies, so they will be very popular here.
    That's good to know. It's my first time with both "Hungarians". I think, living in the heart of Europe, I have to be pro-European!! :):heehee:Seriously, I love pickled chillies, and even stuffed chillies,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Zigs
    Like x 3

Giant Onions 2018

Next years Kelsae seed under way just beginning to show sprout
    DSCI0001 (15).JPG Kelsae.jpg DSC00889.JPG DSCI0001 (6).JPG DSCI0001 (38).JPG DSCI0002 (2).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

THE GROWING THREAD 2018

No No No get with it "M" :dunno:...As opposed to the male gender regarding cockerels (male) :whistle: ...:phew: what a size :yikes:
    No No No get with it "M" :dunno:...As opposed to the male gender regarding cockerels (male) :whistle: ...:phew: what a size :yikes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

THE TOMATO SEED SWAP THREAD 2018

I would be interested in blight resistance tomatoes list . found a retailer offering many non f1 blight resistance varieties @25 seeds for pack at very lower price. if anyone interested we can...
    I would be interested in blight resistance tomatoes list . found a retailer offering many non f1 blight resistance varieties @25 seeds for pack at very lower price. if anyone interested we can share ,
    I would be interested in blight resistance tomatoes list . found a retailer offering many non f1 blight resistance varieties @25 seeds for pack at very lower price. if anyone interested we can share ,
    I would be interested in blight resistance tomatoes list . found a retailer offering many non f1 blight resistance varieties @25 seeds for pack at very lower price. if anyone interested we can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

THE TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2018

@Freddy This is what I meant about bluey/green tomato seedlings grown under continuous T5 lighting looking like. These, sown on 28th January have never seen natural daylight, but are nice and...
    @Freddy This is what I meant about bluey/green tomato seedlings grown under continuous T5 lighting looking like. These, sown on 28th January have never seen natural daylight, but are nice and stocky, although some varieties may progress to the next stage and get 'scorched' and get thin, pale...
    @Freddy This is what I meant about bluey/green tomato seedlings grown under continuous T5 lighting looking like. These, sown on 28th January have never seen natural daylight, but are nice and stocky, although some varieties may progress to the...
    @Freddy This is what I meant about bluey/green tomato seedlings grown under continuous T5 lighting looking like. These, sown on 28th January have never seen natural daylight, but are nice and...
    Hello World WP_20180102_14_02_43_Pro.jpg 48D3B431-E6F9-4757-AEF9-8E0519E96575.jpeg DEC75AAC-6536-425B-AA75-41F2592C70BE.jpeg GC micro tom.jpg DSCI0003.JPG GC micro tom2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

PUMPKIN GROWING THREAD 2018

I’m in as usual giving it another go hopefully it will keep till carving this year
    I’m in as usual giving it another go hopefully it will keep till carving this year
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steve R
    Like x 10

Sowing seeds too early.

We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

Good result there misterQ
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. Sheps

Old, unused compost for potatoes in pots

Thanks very much, Scrungee...I have some blood, fish and bone so I can use that too, how much should I mix in to the first 4/5 inch layer of compost when I first plant the spuds?And should I mix...
    Thanks very much, Scrungee...I have some blood, fish and bone so I can use that too, how much should I mix in to the first 4/5 inch layer of compost when I first plant the spuds?And should I mix in some more b,f and b to each further layer of compost each time I re-cover the shoots?
    Thanks very much, Scrungee...I have some blood, fish and bone so I can use that too, how much should I mix in to the first 4/5 inch layer of compost when I first plant the spuds?And should I mix in some more b,f and b to each further layer of...
    Thanks very much, Scrungee...I have some blood, fish and bone so I can use that too, how much should I mix in to the first 4/5 inch layer of compost when I first plant the spuds?And should I mix...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Zigs

Popeye the sailor mouse

Mice have eaten all my tulip bulbs I had in pots in a polytunnel - again!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Paul Blackburn

Question about strawberries

They will give a little protection from cold to the crowns, and if you have rabbits provide some cover to the tasty new shoots.
    They will give a little protection from cold to the crowns, and if you have rabbits provide some cover to the tasty new shoots.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Annemieke

Can I sow radish now?

And so does www.gardenorganic.org.uk.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Denton Dave

Apple Tree Supermarket

here is a picture of the tree I bought
    20180209_165126.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ricky101

LoganBerry in a Pot ?

It's also a good way to keep the runners in check, loganberries like to GROW! I expect it will be fine in the pot until you find / create a location for it.
    It's also a good way to keep the runners in check, loganberries like to GROW! I expect it will be fine in the pot until you find / create a location for it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Denton Dave

Best place and time to buy Main Crop Sarpo MIra Pots

Hi AllThanks for the replies I will place them in the garage near the windowRegardsDave
    Hi AllThanks for the replies I will place them in the garage near the windowRegardsDave
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. kazzawazza

Pruning fruit trees

Can you post some photos, kazzawazza? If there's anything glaringly obvious, we can guide you. Otherwise A Guide to Pruning Fruit Trees - Chris Bowers & Sons might help. You get a reprieve until...
    Can you post some photos, kazzawazza? If there's anything glaringly obvious, we can guide you. Otherwise A Guide to Pruning Fruit Trees - Chris Bowers & Sons might help. You get a reprieve until summer! WeeTam is right about pollinisation....Victoria and it's offspring are self-fertile but most...
    Can you post some photos, kazzawazza? If there's anything glaringly obvious, we can guide you. Otherwise A Guide to Pruning Fruit Trees - Chris Bowers & Sons might help. You get a reprieve until summer! WeeTam is right about...
    Can you post some photos, kazzawazza? If there's anything glaringly obvious, we can guide you. Otherwise A Guide to Pruning Fruit Trees - Chris Bowers & Sons might help. You get a reprieve until...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ChilliPepper

Do first earlies get chitted before second earlies?

I chit the lot of them :paladin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Steve R

Blight-resistant tomato varieties

Had a feeling that might be the case, in the absence of a free p&p promotion at Dobies, it looks like a visit to B&Q (on a Wednesday to get 10% off) who stock Suttons Crimson Crush instore,...
    Had a feeling that might be the case, in the absence of a free p&p promotion at Dobies, it looks like a visit to B&Q (on a Wednesday to get 10% off) who stock Suttons Crimson Crush instore, working out at 36p/seed, and if they're any good it''ll be a Dobies order (via village horticultural...
    Had a feeling that might be the case, in the absence of a free p&p promotion at Dobies, it looks like a visit to B&Q (on a Wednesday to get 10% off) who stock Suttons Crimson Crush instore, working out at 36p/seed, and if they're any good it''ll...
    Had a feeling that might be the case, in the absence of a free p&p promotion at Dobies, it looks like a visit to B&Q (on a Wednesday to get 10% off) who stock Suttons Crimson Crush instore,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. HarryS

Old onion sets ?

That's where I've bought mine from, £1.50 for 500g of Sturon, approx. 150 sets per net . After Googling 'starting onions sets in modules' I'm going to start some in modules in polytunnels this...
    That's where I've bought mine from, £1.50 for 500g of Sturon, approx. 150 sets per net . After Googling 'starting onions sets in modules' I'm going to start some in modules in polytunnels this month and see how they compare against ones planted in March directly into open ground, hoping that'll...
    That's where I've bought mine from, £1.50 for 500g of Sturon, approx. 150 sets per net . After Googling 'starting onions sets in modules' I'm going to start some in modules in polytunnels this month and see how they compare against ones planted...
    That's where I've bought mine from, £1.50 for 500g of Sturon, approx. 150 sets per net . After Googling 'starting onions sets in modules' I'm going to start some in modules in polytunnels this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Fat Controller

Swede, from Seed

Thanks all :)I will still be growing my carrots and parsnips etc in the tubs, I am just trying to get the right crops into the right places if you know what I mean - cauliflower for example,...
    Thanks all :)I will still be growing my carrots and parsnips etc in the tubs, I am just trying to get the right crops into the right places if you know what I mean - cauliflower for example, grows, but never gets a decent heart in my tubs, and I only ever end up with a couple out of all that are...
    Thanks all :)I will still be growing my carrots and parsnips etc in the tubs, I am just trying to get the right crops into the right places if you know what I mean - cauliflower for example, grows, but never gets a decent heart in my tubs, and I...
    Thanks all :)I will still be growing my carrots and parsnips etc in the tubs, I am just trying to get the right crops into the right places if you know what I mean - cauliflower for example,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. thriftybri

grape vine advice wanted

@thriftybri Just remembered: The Northern Fruit Group might be the place to go to for information. Activities of the Northern Fruit Group – what we do
    @thriftybri Just remembered: The Northern Fruit Group might be the place to go to for information. Activities of the Northern Fruit Group – what we do
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. AndyS

Using Concrete Blocks for a raised bed - unsafe?

I just wash mine and I have no trouble ;) :whistle: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. The Unusual Fruit Garden
    Like x 3

Mulberry tree has arrived - 200cm+ morus nigra

When you have potted up the Mulberry in the barrel, use the 30litre pot with handles...to grow spuds in..;)Steve...:)
    When you have potted up the Mulberry in the barrel, use the 30litre pot with handles...to grow spuds in..;)Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. ChilliPepper

My tomatoes are going bananas - help!

Many thanks for all the replies and expert advice.The propagator is on a windowsill that faces north-west so will get the seasonal light for this time of year. I've got the opportunity to put...
    Many thanks for all the replies and expert advice.The propagator is on a windowsill that faces north-west so will get the seasonal light for this time of year. I've got the opportunity to put them into a heated greenhouse later on if they survive! I think the spacing is OK as they are in...
    Many thanks for all the replies and expert advice.The propagator is on a windowsill that faces north-west so will get the seasonal light for this time of year. I've got the opportunity to put them into a heated greenhouse later on if they...
    Many thanks for all the replies and expert advice.The propagator is on a windowsill that faces north-west so will get the seasonal light for this time of year. I've got the opportunity to put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. The Unusual Fruit Garden
    Like x 3

The Unusual Fruit Garden

I didn't notice this until it was too late, they went cheap but I do already have 2 of these and don't think I'd fit 3 more in, what with my mulberry just arriving too
    I didn't notice this until it was too late, they went cheap but I do already have 2 of these and don't think I'd fit 3 more in, what with my mulberry just arriving too
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Paul Blackburn

Can I sow lettuce seeds now.

I put pots of lettuce seed in propagators to germinate, then get them out ASAP before they grow spindly and drawn, sowing the seeds thinly helps avoid that, then transplanting to cell trays and...
    I put pots of lettuce seed in propagators to germinate, then get them out ASAP before they grow spindly and drawn, sowing the seeds thinly helps avoid that, then transplanting to cell trays and moving somewhere cool and well lit.I think I mentioned above about failing growing them under warm...
    I put pots of lettuce seed in propagators to germinate, then get them out ASAP before they grow spindly and drawn, sowing the seeds thinly helps avoid that, then transplanting to cell trays and moving somewhere cool and well lit.I think I...
    I put pots of lettuce seed in propagators to germinate, then get them out ASAP before they grow spindly and drawn, sowing the seeds thinly helps avoid that, then transplanting to cell trays and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. ChilliPepper

Potato chitting and planting - when?

Thanks for the swift response pete. I'm on the south Devon coast and things are starting to warm up down here already. We may, of course, get some frosts this year but they are usually mild and...
    Thanks for the swift response pete. I'm on the south Devon coast and things are starting to warm up down here already. We may, of course, get some frosts this year but they are usually mild and infrequent.I grow my potatoes in bags on the paths and patio as I've no other space for them. I...
    Thanks for the swift response pete. I'm on the south Devon coast and things are starting to warm up down here already. We may, of course, get some frosts this year but they are usually mild and infrequent.I grow my potatoes in bags on the...
    Thanks for the swift response pete. I'm on the south Devon coast and things are starting to warm up down here already. We may, of course, get some frosts this year but they are usually mild and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. thriftybri

electric daisys

tried these a few years ago like eating popping candy Electric Daisy Seeds at Suttons Seeds
    tried these a few years ago like eating popping candy Electric Daisy Seeds at Suttons Seeds
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options