1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl
    Like x 4

2017 Tomato Growing

Don't forget to harvest those seeds for next year! :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Steve R

Pumpkin growing challenge 2017

@Richard360Superb pumpkin but those press photos are terrible. You should have done the "Hapless Atlas", "Evil Gangsta Grower" or the "Seated Ponderer" pose instead.Imho, there is no time to...
    @Richard360Superb pumpkin but those press photos are terrible. You should have done the "Hapless Atlas", "Evil Gangsta Grower" or the "Seated Ponderer" pose instead.Imho, there is no time to rest, I think you should plan to grow an even bigger one just to record better photos for posterity -...
    @Richard360Superb pumpkin but those press photos are terrible. You should have done the "Hapless Atlas", "Evil Gangsta Grower" or the "Seated Ponderer" pose instead.Imho, there is no time to rest, I think you should plan to grow an even...
    @Richard360Superb pumpkin but those press photos are terrible. You should have done the "Hapless Atlas", "Evil Gangsta Grower" or the "Seated Ponderer" pose instead.Imho, there is no time to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

2017 GROWING THREAD

Autumn Onions :)
    20170115_145119.jpg upload_2017-1-20_19-25-34.png P1000646.JPG P1000647.JPG P1000648.JPG P1000649.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

Good result there misterQ
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Scrungee

Tatties 2017

The shop window...The problem with growing potatoes there will be...No one will remember that it was once tidy, lush and green...But, there are reasons for the mess.The sweet potato...
    The shop window...The problem with growing potatoes there will be...No one will remember that it was once tidy, lush and green...But, there are reasons for the mess.The sweet potato experiment.
    The shop window...The problem with growing potatoes there will be...No one will remember that it was once tidy, lush and green...But, there are reasons for the mess.The sweet potato experiment.
    The shop window...The problem with growing potatoes there will be...No one will remember that it was once tidy, lush and green...But, there are reasons for the mess.The sweet potato...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE 2017 CHILLI THREAD

Mines gone red :)
    508960958.jpg rDSCN1654.jpg article-2702085-1FE0FCA700000578-509_634x347.jpg ScovilleChart4.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

GIANT ONIONS - 2017

Good for you Zigs
    Good for you Zigs
    Good for you Zigs
    Good for you Zigs
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. martin-f

Tallest sunflower and largest head challenge 2017

Good one @Mark56 :blue thumb:May be a bit difficult to measure that monster.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

TOMATO SEED SWAP - 2017

I'll give em a try, diolch yn fawr :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R

Blight Potatoes and Tomatoes.

I know Steve I have a horrid feeling my spuds might be secumbing not sure but suddenly the leaves have gone a bit pale.. Watching closely.. I do thankfully subscribe to the Watch.. :scratch::sad:
    I know Steve I have a horrid feeling my spuds might be secumbing not sure but suddenly the leaves have gone a bit pale.. Watching closely.. I do thankfully subscribe to the Watch.. :scratch::sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. BeeHappy

Sarpo Pots in Pots ;)

What a harvest!!!! The size of some of those spuds ... just one of those big ones would feed a family in roast potatoes for one Sunday dinner :thud:
    What a harvest!!!! The size of some of those spuds ... just one of those big ones would feed a family in roast potatoes for one Sunday dinner :thud:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Habanerohead

Elephant Garlic from bulbils

@Steve - thanks for that useful bit of info. The crop did vary in size quite a lot. My garlic shows the same variation so I just assumed that you get good 'uns and not so good 'uns but now I know...
    @Steve - thanks for that useful bit of info. The crop did vary in size quite a lot. My garlic shows the same variation so I just assumed that you get good 'uns and not so good 'uns but now I know better - they were harvested before their prime. I'm reluctant to keep my garlics in the same spot...
    @Steve - thanks for that useful bit of info. The crop did vary in size quite a lot. My garlic shows the same variation so I just assumed that you get good 'uns and not so good 'uns but now I know better - they were harvested before their...
    @Steve - thanks for that useful bit of info. The crop did vary in size quite a lot. My garlic shows the same variation so I just assumed that you get good 'uns and not so good 'uns but now I know...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Notty1975

Best soil for carrots

Good points Steve :) I learned an awful lot by talking to old guys on their allotments initially......stuff not available in books yet priceless. Despite my "knowledge" , pruning skills and modern...
    Good points Steve :) I learned an awful lot by talking to old guys on their allotments initially......stuff not available in books yet priceless. Despite my "knowledge" , pruning skills and modern day techniques I can never grow the gooseberry crops my old mum did. She simply grew them, hacked...
    Good points Steve :) I learned an awful lot by talking to old guys on their allotments initially......stuff not available in books yet priceless. Despite my "knowledge" , pruning skills and modern day techniques I can never grow the gooseberry...
    Good points Steve :) I learned an awful lot by talking to old guys on their allotments initially......stuff not available in books yet priceless. Despite my "knowledge" , pruning skills and modern...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Clare G
    Like x 8

Hurrah - English apples are back!

Thank you folks. I know with drawrfs you can get a couple of varieties grafted onto the one tree which interests me. I have no notion of 100's of lb's of apples. Just some for different jobs...
    Thank you folks. I know with drawrfs you can get a couple of varieties grafted onto the one tree which interests me. I have no notion of 100's of lb's of apples. Just some for different jobs and mostly to enjoy them!I live in Northern Ireland so availability is limited. Can you folks...
    Thank you folks. I know with drawrfs you can get a couple of varieties grafted onto the one tree which interests me. I have no notion of 100's of lb's of apples. Just some for different jobs and mostly to enjoy them!I live in Northern...
    Thank you folks. I know with drawrfs you can get a couple of varieties grafted onto the one tree which interests me. I have no notion of 100's of lb's of apples. Just some for different jobs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Black Orchid

I need advice regarding cherry trees

Sounds like it would suit my patio, thank you! :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Snorky85

Strawbs! Do I need to start new plants?

Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a...
    Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a bit of manure if you can. You can pot the runners so they don't congest the more mature plants.I...
    Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a bit of manure if you can. You can pot the runners...
    Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. stephenprudence

Valdivian rainforest fruits

I want to start an area on my allotment for edible fruits from the Chilean Valdivian rainforest. Perhaps the most well known of these is Ugni molinae 'Ka-Pow' also known as the Chilean Guava. I...
    I want to start an area on my allotment for edible fruits from the Chilean Valdivian rainforest. Perhaps the most well known of these is Ugni molinae 'Ka-Pow' also known as the Chilean Guava. I also want to cultivate Luma apiculata (Chilean Myrtle) as the berries are edible and fragrant... other...
    I want to start an area on my allotment for edible fruits from the Chilean Valdivian rainforest. Perhaps the most well known of these is Ugni molinae 'Ka-Pow' also known as the Chilean Guava. I also want to cultivate Luma apiculata (Chilean...
    I want to start an area on my allotment for edible fruits from the Chilean Valdivian rainforest. Perhaps the most well known of these is Ugni molinae 'Ka-Pow' also known as the Chilean Guava. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Scudo

When to pick apples

Our Russets aren't normally ripe until the end of October.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Snorky85

Carrots! Storage

store them like potatoes. in a cold cellar. they keep for a long time.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. silu

Can I leave Celery in the ground for a while yet?

You been taking them out boat fishing?
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Fat Controller

What to sow/grow now?

Need a growing fix have just put heating in my conservatory or as my wife calls it in house greenhouse :-) it's south facing have got a thermostatic propagator and grow lights if needed just...
    Need a growing fix have just put heating in my conservatory or as my wife calls it in house greenhouse :-) it's south facing have got a thermostatic propagator and grow lights if needed just fancied growing some thing different any ideas would be great ?
    Need a growing fix have just put heating in my conservatory or as my wife calls it in house greenhouse :-) it's south facing have got a thermostatic propagator and grow lights if needed just fancied growing some thing different any ideas would be...
    Need a growing fix have just put heating in my conservatory or as my wife calls it in house greenhouse :-) it's south facing have got a thermostatic propagator and grow lights if needed just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Snorky85
    Like x 9

Tonight's dinner

He he thanks @KandyThe allotment is next on my list of tasks to tidy up...has been neglected except for harvesting the last few weeks!
    He he thanks @KandyThe allotment is next on my list of tasks to tidy up...has been neglected except for harvesting the last few weeks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Charlie996

What to grow from now till spring ?

@Scrungee the thermostat is on the back of the heater.I converted if from propane to natural gas because I have a natural gas line out back which was originally for the bbq and now I use in the...
    @Scrungee the thermostat is on the back of the heater.I converted if from propane to natural gas because I have a natural gas line out back which was originally for the bbq and now I use in the cold weather for the heater. I was very curious because it would be a bonus to be able to circulate...
    @Scrungee the thermostat is on the back of the heater.I converted if from propane to natural gas because I have a natural gas line out back which was originally for the bbq and now I use in the cold weather for the heater. I was very curious...
    @Scrungee the thermostat is on the back of the heater.I converted if from propane to natural gas because I have a natural gas line out back which was originally for the bbq and now I use in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Paul Blackburn

Planting Brassica's now

Is it possible to plant thing's like Kale,Cabage's or Broccoli now if I plant the seed's in toilet roll holder's and put on a shelf in front of the window in my shed and I do have some heated...
    Is it possible to plant thing's like Kale,Cabage's or Broccoli now if I plant the seed's in toilet roll holder's and put on a shelf in front of the window in my shed and I do have some heated propagator's if that would be better.
    Is it possible to plant thing's like Kale,Cabage's or Broccoli now if I plant the seed's in toilet roll holder's and put on a shelf in front of the window in my shed and I do have some heated propagator's if that would be better.
    Is it possible to plant thing's like Kale,Cabage's or Broccoli now if I plant the seed's in toilet roll holder's and put on a shelf in front of the window in my shed and I do have some heated...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2017

They should be fine, toms very rarely cross :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. karaman

bay tree questions

thanks for comprehensive reply, much appreciated. Location: southern shores of lake balaton, hungary. i didnt cover her last year, thats why she almost didnt make it. have fleece, will cover and...
    thanks for comprehensive reply, much appreciated. Location: southern shores of lake balaton, hungary. i didnt cover her last year, thats why she almost didnt make it. have fleece, will cover and shift to sunnier spot in spring. thanks again, karaman
    thanks for comprehensive reply, much appreciated. Location: southern shores of lake balaton, hungary. i didnt cover her last year, thats why she almost didnt make it. have fleece, will cover and shift to sunnier spot in spring. thanks again,...
    thanks for comprehensive reply, much appreciated. Location: southern shores of lake balaton, hungary. i didnt cover her last year, thats why she almost didnt make it. have fleece, will cover and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. misterQ

The Spud In A Bucket Growing Competition 2017

The cowculator stamps that out as 1.503kg.This is remarkable for a PPE result. I think you've elevated furtling to a new art form.
    The cowculator stamps that out as 1.503kg.This is remarkable for a PPE result. I think you've elevated furtling to a new art form.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Paul Blackburn

Raspberry Problem

I went to our local garden centre yesterday and took a few samples of my raspberry bushes and they said it was probably a fungus. and suggested I prune them right down now and clear all the dead...
    I went to our local garden centre yesterday and took a few samples of my raspberry bushes and they said it was probably a fungus. and suggested I prune them right down now and clear all the dead leaves and branches and put some manure around them and leave and hopefully that will work if not...
    I went to our local garden centre yesterday and took a few samples of my raspberry bushes and they said it was probably a fungus. and suggested I prune them right down now and clear all the dead leaves and branches and put some manure around them...
    I went to our local garden centre yesterday and took a few samples of my raspberry bushes and they said it was probably a fungus. and suggested I prune them right down now and clear all the dead...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Mike77

Strawberries Still Setting Fruit

Won't be able to get them under any glass this year, too many projects on the go. Mara des Bois are everbearing so I guess they just keep flowering until the weather goes bad. I notice my...
    Won't be able to get them under any glass this year, too many projects on the go. Mara des Bois are everbearing so I guess they just keep flowering until the weather goes bad. I notice my blackberries are still flowering as well
    Won't be able to get them under any glass this year, too many projects on the go. Mara des Bois are everbearing so I guess they just keep flowering until the weather goes bad. I notice my blackberries are still flowering as well
    Won't be able to get them under any glass this year, too many projects on the go. Mara des Bois are everbearing so I guess they just keep flowering until the weather goes bad. I notice my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Jimb0b

Rhubarb ID

I'd hazzard a guess based on when it starts growing but that would only tell if it was an early or later variety :noidea:
    I'd hazzard a guess based on when it starts growing but that would only tell if it was an early or later variety :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options