1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R

Pumpkin growing challenge 2017

You will get something if you started again now, not massive but there is enough time - just.
    You will get something if you started again now, not massive but there is enough time - just.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wiseowl
    Like x 4

2017 Tomato Growing

Tumbling tom is a determine type, so branches freely and you can leave the branches on and get the most fruit by allowing it to grow bushy. However, as blacktulip has found, determinate/bush type...
    Tumbling tom is a determine type, so branches freely and you can leave the branches on and get the most fruit by allowing it to grow bushy. However, as blacktulip has found, determinate/bush type tomatoes tend to have lots of leaves on the ground, which makes it vulnerable for picking up blight...
    Tumbling tom is a determine type, so branches freely and you can leave the branches on and get the most fruit by allowing it to grow bushy. However, as blacktulip has found, determinate/bush type tomatoes tend to have lots of leaves on the...
    Tumbling tom is a determine type, so branches freely and you can leave the branches on and get the most fruit by allowing it to grow bushy. However, as blacktulip has found, determinate/bush type...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. martin-f

Tallest sunflower and largest head challenge 2017

These are Woos Russian Giants
    article-2213404-155C1D7B000005DC-931_310x603.jpg hope sunflowers.jpg cloches.jpg giant sunflower.jpg sunflowers.jpg 20170604-P6040056.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

2017 GROWING THREAD

Peas are flowering :)
    20170115_145119.jpg upload_2017-1-20_19-25-34.png P1000646.JPG P1000647.JPG P1000648.JPG P1000649.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Scrungee

Tatties 2017

Those are rocket.. think I should have pulled them up a week or so ago they're quite big! I'll pull up a Maris peer tomorrow and see what they are like they were planted same time..? I'll cut the...
    Those are rocket.. think I should have pulled them up a week or so ago they're quite big! I'll pull up a Maris peer tomorrow and see what they are like they were planted same time..? I'll cut the tops off kestrel then thanks for that :)
    Those are rocket.. think I should have pulled them up a week or so ago they're quite big! I'll pull up a Maris peer tomorrow and see what they are like they were planted same time..? I'll cut the tops off kestrel then thanks for that :)
    Those are rocket.. think I should have pulled them up a week or so ago they're quite big! I'll pull up a Maris peer tomorrow and see what they are like they were planted same time..? I'll cut the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE 2017 CHILLI THREAD

I have chillies!Well, just a single, solitary pod on an overwintered Trinidad Moruga Scorpion plant.Shorten the roots and wait for them to become finer and fibrous.That is when they can...
    I have chillies!Well, just a single, solitary pod on an overwintered Trinidad Moruga Scorpion plant.Shorten the roots and wait for them to become finer and fibrous.That is when they can support more pods.Still, it was very labour intensive just to get it to this stage. Left outside...
    I have chillies!Well, just a single, solitary pod on an overwintered Trinidad Moruga Scorpion plant.Shorten the roots and wait for them to become finer and fibrous.That is when they can support more pods.Still, it was very labour...
    I have chillies!Well, just a single, solitary pod on an overwintered Trinidad Moruga Scorpion plant.Shorten the roots and wait for them to become finer and fibrous.That is when they can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

Some progress with the Tumbling Tom/Picasso grafts.The central plant.There are also signs of life with the Indigo Rose/Osprey grafts.
    Some progress with the Tumbling Tom/Picasso grafts.The central plant.There are also signs of life with the Indigo Rose/Osprey grafts.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

TOMATO SEED SWAP - 2017

I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  12.   » Normal Threads
  13. GYO newbie

Am i too late?

No. Or yes. It depends.Turnip, when grown commercially, is a stupidly big and bland waste of space. But it's most delicious when it's about golf ball size. You have plenty of time to grow it to...
    No. Or yes. It depends.Turnip, when grown commercially, is a stupidly big and bland waste of space. But it's most delicious when it's about golf ball size. You have plenty of time to grow it to that size. And the leaves, often discarded, are delicious. You can sow it right into about mid...
    No. Or yes. It depends.Turnip, when grown commercially, is a stupidly big and bland waste of space. But it's most delicious when it's about golf ball size. You have plenty of time to grow it to that size. And the leaves, often discarded, are...
    No. Or yes. It depends.Turnip, when grown commercially, is a stupidly big and bland waste of space. But it's most delicious when it's about golf ball size. You have plenty of time to grow it to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. "M"

Courgettes and ... male flowers!

@Zigs How's Chopper getting on?
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. nikirushka

Red potatoes from white seeders?

Never mind, I'm being stupid and getting my varieties mixed up!Could an admin delete this thread please?
    Never mind, I'm being stupid and getting my varieties mixed up!Could an admin delete this thread please?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Alan16ac

Tomato Plants Turning Yellow :(

Epsom will only help if its a magnesium deficiency but looking at the plant i`d say its more likely overfeeding and overwatering. Mg doesnt affect the new growth, its a mobile element so the plant...
    Epsom will only help if its a magnesium deficiency but looking at the plant i`d say its more likely overfeeding and overwatering. Mg doesnt affect the new growth, its a mobile element so the plant can move it from the older leaves, hence thats where symptoms show up first. The chlorosis/necrosis...
    Epsom will only help if its a magnesium deficiency but looking at the plant i`d say its more likely overfeeding and overwatering. Mg doesnt affect the new growth, its a mobile element so the plant can move it from the older leaves, hence thats...
    Epsom will only help if its a magnesium deficiency but looking at the plant i`d say its more likely overfeeding and overwatering. Mg doesnt affect the new growth, its a mobile element so the plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ricky101

Patio /Dwarf fruit trees

Hi,The year before last were bought a collection of 5 dwarf fruit trees, as popularly advertised, consisting of two apple, one cherry, plum and pear.Last year the apple trees fruited, one ok...
    Hi,The year before last were bought a collection of 5 dwarf fruit trees, as popularly advertised, consisting of two apple, one cherry, plum and pear.Last year the apple trees fruited, one ok the other much less, though we did thin them out with them being so young. No flowers or fruit on...
    Hi,The year before last were bought a collection of 5 dwarf fruit trees, as popularly advertised, consisting of two apple, one cherry, plum and pear.Last year the apple trees fruited, one ok the other much less, though we did thin them out...
    Hi,The year before last were bought a collection of 5 dwarf fruit trees, as popularly advertised, consisting of two apple, one cherry, plum and pear.Last year the apple trees fruited, one ok...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. wavebuster

San Marzano.no,no, no, NO!

Three years or so ago, I planted small San Marzanos in well-drained buckets i.e. several 10mm holes drilled in the bottom, then filled with grow bag compost. They were grown from seeds propogated...
    Three years or so ago, I planted small San Marzanos in well-drained buckets i.e. several 10mm holes drilled in the bottom, then filled with grow bag compost. They were grown from seeds propogated care of a punnet of Tesco toms; a scenario that was probably asking for trouble and needed a lot of...
    Three years or so ago, I planted small San Marzanos in well-drained buckets i.e. several 10mm holes drilled in the bottom, then filled with grow bag compost. They were grown from seeds propogated care of a punnet of Tesco toms; a scenario that...
    Three years or so ago, I planted small San Marzanos in well-drained buckets i.e. several 10mm holes drilled in the bottom, then filled with grow bag compost. They were grown from seeds propogated...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Snowbaby

another tomato plant Q

Tomatoes are very tough plants you can train them how you like. Pinching out the top won't damage the plant but you might not get any flowers/fruit. If you have a couple of trusses below the top...
    Tomatoes are very tough plants you can train them how you like. Pinching out the top won't damage the plant but you might not get any flowers/fruit. If you have a couple of trusses below the top then that is all you will get. Pinching out will encourage all the side-shoots to grow and you could...
    Tomatoes are very tough plants you can train them how you like. Pinching out the top won't damage the plant but you might not get any flowers/fruit. If you have a couple of trusses below the top then that is all you will get. Pinching out will...
    Tomatoes are very tough plants you can train them how you like. Pinching out the top won't damage the plant but you might not get any flowers/fruit. If you have a couple of trusses below the top...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Snowbaby

Tomato plant

Thank you :yahoo:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Yan

Scapes appearing on soft neck garlic?

They should be ready when they go yellowish and start to shrivel, so worth having a look at one.
    They should be ready when they go yellowish and start to shrivel, so worth having a look at one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. TheMadHedger

Broad Beans - sow in June?

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some more planted then. :)As for blackfly, mine also had some but pinching out the tips stopped that. :)Some of the plants DO have some "rust" (it all but killed...
    Thanks for the advice, I'll get some more planted then. :)As for blackfly, mine also had some but pinching out the tips stopped that. :)Some of the plants DO have some "rust" (it all but killed one plant yet the rest aren't badly affected) but even rust-affected pods have good beans inside.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll get some more planted then. :)As for blackfly, mine also had some but pinching out the tips stopped that. :)Some of the plants DO have some "rust" (it all but killed one plant yet the rest aren't badly affected) but...
    Thanks for the advice, I'll get some more planted then. :)As for blackfly, mine also had some but pinching out the tips stopped that. :)Some of the plants DO have some "rust" (it all but killed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. nikirushka

What's wrong with my Bramley?

It could be stressed due to a dry winter and spring and now our hot weather. I would defo water as Zigs says, at least a gallon every day..
    It could be stressed due to a dry winter and spring and now our hot weather. I would defo water as Zigs says, at least a gallon every day..
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Fat Controller
    Funny x 4

What is wrong with my plums?

heehee, excellent plum potential there, @fat controller - hope they don't get too bruised! :loll:
    heehee, excellent plum potential there, @fat controller - hope they don't get too bruised! :loll:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. "M"

How many pea plants would you need to feed a family of four?

The good news is there's still time to sow more for this season. Wilko is selling late sowing Kelvedon Wonder for a quid :-)
    The good news is there's still time to sow more for this season. Wilko is selling late sowing Kelvedon Wonder for a quid :-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. misterQ

Growing Watermelon In The Community Garden...

When do I remove the cloches? When the leaves turn green again with obvious signs of growth.I put a runner bean plant in the corner to get some extra mileage out of the planting space.There...
    When do I remove the cloches? When the leaves turn green again with obvious signs of growth.I put a runner bean plant in the corner to get some extra mileage out of the planting space.There is also a sweet potato slip planted next to it. This was propagated from a Morrisons sweet...
    When do I remove the cloches? When the leaves turn green again with obvious signs of growth.I put a runner bean plant in the corner to get some extra mileage out of the planting space.There is also a sweet potato slip planted next to it....
    When do I remove the cloches? When the leaves turn green again with obvious signs of growth.I put a runner bean plant in the corner to get some extra mileage out of the planting space.There...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Paul Blackburn

Goji Berry Tip's

I just wondered if I could now transplant these plants as I have a raised bed which is now empty.They are currently in about 4" pots and are starting to get a bit rangy.On the packet it said plant...
    I just wondered if I could now transplant these plants as I have a raised bed which is now empty.They are currently in about 4" pots and are starting to get a bit rangy.On the packet it said plant out in spring but sure whether or not they will last in pot's as these were the only pot's I had...
    I just wondered if I could now transplant these plants as I have a raised bed which is now empty.They are currently in about 4" pots and are starting to get a bit rangy.On the packet it said plant out in spring but sure whether or not they will...
    I just wondered if I could now transplant these plants as I have a raised bed which is now empty.They are currently in about 4" pots and are starting to get a bit rangy.On the packet it said plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Paul Blackburn

Rhubarb Care

Oh yes, forgot Martin....:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. silu

Sowing fresh seed.

I used to eat a lot of sugar snaps. Not had then for a while. With ordinary peas you can weed out the maggots, with Mange tout and sugar snaps you dont.:biggrin:Really good if you like meat with your veg.:biggrin:
    I used to eat a lot of sugar snaps. Not had then for a while. With ordinary peas you can weed out the maggots, with Mange tout and sugar snaps you dont.:biggrin:Really good if you like meat with your veg.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Snorky85

Sweet Peppers

Not growing any this year myself, but I have grown them in pots for many years previously.I usually use 9 in pots, and I have been known to prune out a few side shoots, but not all. also I...
    Not growing any this year myself, but I have grown them in pots for many years previously.I usually use 9 in pots, and I have been known to prune out a few side shoots, but not all. also I usually reduce the amount of fruit forming, the plants often set far more than they can cope with.My...
    Not growing any this year myself, but I have grown them in pots for many years previously.I usually use 9 in pots, and I have been known to prune out a few side shoots, but not all. also I usually reduce the amount of fruit forming, the plants...
    Not growing any this year myself, but I have grown them in pots for many years previously.I usually use 9 in pots, and I have been known to prune out a few side shoots, but not all. also I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. rustyroots

Courgettes in pots.

I've planted one of mine in a woven supermarket carrier bag which was in the back of the cupboard doing nothing :whistle:
    I've planted one of mine in a woven supermarket carrier bag which was in the back of the cupboard doing nothing :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. misterQ

Post pictures of your radishes here...

A few more radish photo's, last ones I promise. Cherries and tape measure for a sense of scale.Steve...:)
    A few more radish photo's, last ones I promise. Cherries and tape measure for a sense of scale.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options