1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl
    Like x 4

2017 Tomato Growing

I live about halfway down this Ireland of ours just on the north Wales border, we too can get a frost in may, this year we got a black frost early summer, it killed off all my tomato plants in a...
    I live about halfway down this Ireland of ours just on the north Wales border, we too can get a frost in may, this year we got a black frost early summer, it killed off all my tomato plants in a cold greenhouse just when they were ready to go outside, we were not worned! usualy we are luckie...
    I live about halfway down this Ireland of ours just on the north Wales border, we too can get a frost in may, this year we got a black frost early summer, it killed off all my tomato plants in a cold greenhouse just when they were ready to go...
    I live about halfway down this Ireland of ours just on the north Wales border, we too can get a frost in may, this year we got a black frost early summer, it killed off all my tomato plants in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

THE 2017 CHILLI THREAD

Yes that's right.:doggieshmooze:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Scrungee

Tatties 2017

They seem to keep ok in the ground, didn't bother digging my xmas charlottes after the blight took the haulms out, found the spuds in February and they were fine :)
    They seem to keep ok in the ground, didn't bother digging my xmas charlottes after the blight took the haulms out, found the spuds in February and they were fine :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Steve R

Pumpkin growing challenge 2017

Build a bridge out of it :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

Good result there misterQ
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

GIANT ONIONS - 2017

Good for you Zigs
    Good for you Zigs
    Good for you Zigs
    Good for you Zigs
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. martin-f

Tallest sunflower and largest head challenge 2017

Good one @Mark56 :blue thumb:May be a bit difficult to measure that monster.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

TOMATO SEED SWAP - 2017

I'll give em a try, diolch yn fawr :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R

Blight Potatoes and Tomatoes.

I know Steve I have a horrid feeling my spuds might be secumbing not sure but suddenly the leaves have gone a bit pale.. Watching closely.. I do thankfully subscribe to the Watch.. :scratch::sad:
    I know Steve I have a horrid feeling my spuds might be secumbing not sure but suddenly the leaves have gone a bit pale.. Watching closely.. I do thankfully subscribe to the Watch.. :scratch::sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. Fat Controller

Butternut Squash

A mixture of squash and carrots works well in soup. It brings out the orange colour. Marco Pierre White uses carrot juice as the liquid. Pure carrot juice is hard to find.:snorky:G.
    A mixture of squash and carrots works well in soup. It brings out the orange colour. Marco Pierre White uses carrot juice as the liquid. Pure carrot juice is hard to find.:snorky:G.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Zigs

Question about Onions

Well you have three choices with onions plant a seed , plant a set , buy an onion . In each case you get one onion . I usually plant onion sets from Wilkos , you get a 1/4 kg from about £1.50 ....
    Well you have three choices with onions plant a seed , plant a set , buy an onion . In each case you get one onion . I usually plant onion sets from Wilkos , you get a 1/4 kg from about £1.50 . Very easy to grow and they taste lovely , same as a shop bought ones :blue thumb::leek:
    Well you have three choices with onions plant a seed , plant a set , buy an onion . In each case you get one onion . I usually plant onion sets from Wilkos , you get a 1/4 kg from about £1.50 . Very easy to grow and they taste lovely , same as a...
    Well you have three choices with onions plant a seed , plant a set , buy an onion . In each case you get one onion . I usually plant onion sets from Wilkos , you get a 1/4 kg from about £1.50 ....
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Notty1975

Best soil for carrots

Although we no longer bother to grow carrots we always got good crops with no problem. We did nothing special, just shoved them in the ground and left them to do their own thing. :noidea:
    Although we no longer bother to grow carrots we always got good crops with no problem. We did nothing special, just shoved them in the ground and left them to do their own thing. :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Aldo

Strawberries from runners - How to keep them protected and fed in the garden over the winter?

Well, I guess it is a good thing, if one can never learn enough, it keeps it forever interesting and new :)
    Well, I guess it is a good thing, if one can never learn enough, it keeps it forever interesting and new :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Clare G
    Like x 9

Hurrah - English apples are back!

My Russet tree has cropped well this year, already pressed 160 lbs, another 110 lbs today, have approx. 140 lbs ready to press and there's still some on the tree (probably under it by the end of...
    My Russet tree has cropped well this year, already pressed 160 lbs, another 110 lbs today, have approx. 140 lbs ready to press and there's still some on the tree (probably under it by the end of today's winds).Looks like being a 1,000 lbs year for pressing from all of my trees and surplus...
    My Russet tree has cropped well this year, already pressed 160 lbs, another 110 lbs today, have approx. 140 lbs ready to press and there's still some on the tree (probably under it by the end of today's winds).Looks like being a 1,000 lbs year...
    My Russet tree has cropped well this year, already pressed 160 lbs, another 110 lbs today, have approx. 140 lbs ready to press and there's still some on the tree (probably under it by the end of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Dagger
    Like x 3

Indoor winter greens using flood and drain system with PVC pipes

Okay, I see. I will research a bit more into it I think. Thank you once again for an informative answer!I think I will go with the inorganic fertilizer this time since I have it. Then I might...
    Okay, I see. I will research a bit more into it I think. Thank you once again for an informative answer!I think I will go with the inorganic fertilizer this time since I have it. Then I might try organic next year or when I run out of it. I will soon post a new drawing of my system.
    Okay, I see. I will research a bit more into it I think. Thank you once again for an informative answer!I think I will go with the inorganic fertilizer this time since I have it. Then I might try organic next year or when I run out of it. I...
    Okay, I see. I will research a bit more into it I think. Thank you once again for an informative answer!I think I will go with the inorganic fertilizer this time since I have it. Then I might...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Zigs
    Like x 3

So what have we all got then ?

How are you storing them JWK?
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. BeeHappy
    Like x 3

Sarpo Pots in Pots ;)

Thanks John , I'll add sarpo to my 2018 plant plan and get my seed potatoes early Feb. I'll plant them in a couple of 30 litre trugs I have. :blue thumb:
    Thanks John , I'll add sarpo to my 2018 plant plan and get my seed potatoes early Feb. I'll plant them in a couple of 30 litre trugs I have. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Greecko
    Like x 3

Greecko's Veg Garden

Wow how time has flown past but little changed! Nothing really new except chickens were added to one side and some raspberry plants too! They done ok I guess, great fruit but would love...
    Wow how time has flown past but little changed! Nothing really new except chickens were added to one side and some raspberry plants too! They done ok I guess, great fruit but would love more!This year I have it covered in plastic to kill off some of the bind weed and other nasties that have...
    Wow how time has flown past but little changed! Nothing really new except chickens were added to one side and some raspberry plants too! They done ok I guess, great fruit but would love more!This year I have it covered in plastic to kill off...
    Wow how time has flown past but little changed! Nothing really new except chickens were added to one side and some raspberry plants too! They done ok I guess, great fruit but would love...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. silu

Old Tomato compost

It was a bad here for blight down south too, all my outdoor tomatoes got it. I am annoyed with myself because previous years I've sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture and had plenty of spray left, I kept...
    It was a bad here for blight down south too, all my outdoor tomatoes got it. I am annoyed with myself because previous years I've sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture and had plenty of spray left, I kept telling myself to do it but never got round to it - I've gone doodleally already.I did see your...
    It was a bad here for blight down south too, all my outdoor tomatoes got it. I am annoyed with myself because previous years I've sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture and had plenty of spray left, I kept telling myself to do it but never got round to it...
    It was a bad here for blight down south too, all my outdoor tomatoes got it. I am annoyed with myself because previous years I've sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture and had plenty of spray left, I kept...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Redwing

Grape Variety for Eating

Just to pick up on the Muscat type, to me that is what dessert grapes should actually taste like. I've tried black hamburg in the past and found it sweet but pretty watery taste wise. I did grow...
    Just to pick up on the Muscat type, to me that is what dessert grapes should actually taste like. I've tried black hamburg in the past and found it sweet but pretty watery taste wise. I did grow Muscat of alexandria some years ago before I took that greenhouse down, it ripen very late in the...
    Just to pick up on the Muscat type, to me that is what dessert grapes should actually taste like. I've tried black hamburg in the past and found it sweet but pretty watery taste wise. I did grow Muscat of alexandria some years ago before I took...
    Just to pick up on the Muscat type, to me that is what dessert grapes should actually taste like. I've tried black hamburg in the past and found it sweet but pretty watery taste wise. I did grow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Habanerohead

Elephant Garlic from bulbils

@Steve - thanks for that useful bit of info. The crop did vary in size quite a lot. My garlic shows the same variation so I just assumed that you get good 'uns and not so good 'uns but now I know...
    @Steve - thanks for that useful bit of info. The crop did vary in size quite a lot. My garlic shows the same variation so I just assumed that you get good 'uns and not so good 'uns but now I know better - they were harvested before their prime. I'm reluctant to keep my garlics in the same spot...
    @Steve - thanks for that useful bit of info. The crop did vary in size quite a lot. My garlic shows the same variation so I just assumed that you get good 'uns and not so good 'uns but now I know better - they were harvested before their...
    @Steve - thanks for that useful bit of info. The crop did vary in size quite a lot. My garlic shows the same variation so I just assumed that you get good 'uns and not so good 'uns but now I know...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Black Orchid

I need advice regarding cherry trees

Sounds like it would suit my patio, thank you! :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Snorky85

Strawbs! Do I need to start new plants?

Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a...
    Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a bit of manure if you can. You can pot the runners so they don't congest the more mature plants.I...
    Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a bit of manure if you can. You can pot the runners...
    Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. stephenprudence

Valdivian rainforest fruits

I want to start an area on my allotment for edible fruits from the Chilean Valdivian rainforest. Perhaps the most well known of these is Ugni molinae 'Ka-Pow' also known as the Chilean Guava. I...
    I want to start an area on my allotment for edible fruits from the Chilean Valdivian rainforest. Perhaps the most well known of these is Ugni molinae 'Ka-Pow' also known as the Chilean Guava. I also want to cultivate Luma apiculata (Chilean Myrtle) as the berries are edible and fragrant... other...
    I want to start an area on my allotment for edible fruits from the Chilean Valdivian rainforest. Perhaps the most well known of these is Ugni molinae 'Ka-Pow' also known as the Chilean Guava. I also want to cultivate Luma apiculata (Chilean...
    I want to start an area on my allotment for edible fruits from the Chilean Valdivian rainforest. Perhaps the most well known of these is Ugni molinae 'Ka-Pow' also known as the Chilean Guava. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Scudo

When to pick apples

Our Russets aren't normally ripe until the end of October.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Snorky85

Carrots! Storage

store them like potatoes. in a cold cellar. they keep for a long time.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. silu

Can I leave Celery in the ground for a while yet?

You been taking them out boat fishing?
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Fat Controller

What to sow/grow now?

Need a growing fix have just put heating in my conservatory or as my wife calls it in house greenhouse :-) it's south facing have got a thermostatic propagator and grow lights if needed just...
    Need a growing fix have just put heating in my conservatory or as my wife calls it in house greenhouse :-) it's south facing have got a thermostatic propagator and grow lights if needed just fancied growing some thing different any ideas would be great ?
    Need a growing fix have just put heating in my conservatory or as my wife calls it in house greenhouse :-) it's south facing have got a thermostatic propagator and grow lights if needed just fancied growing some thing different any ideas would be...
    Need a growing fix have just put heating in my conservatory or as my wife calls it in house greenhouse :-) it's south facing have got a thermostatic propagator and grow lights if needed just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Snorky85
    Like x 9

Tonight's dinner

He he thanks @KandyThe allotment is next on my list of tasks to tidy up...has been neglected except for harvesting the last few weeks!
    He he thanks @KandyThe allotment is next on my list of tasks to tidy up...has been neglected except for harvesting the last few weeks!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options