Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2020

We've only got a handful of tomatoes left to enjoy, but this has been the best year we have ever had for tomatoes. So chuffed, because to be honest I have struggled with the garden since being...
    We've only got a handful of tomatoes left to enjoy, but this has been the best year we have ever had for tomatoes. So chuffed, because to be honest I have struggled with the garden since being ill and last year absolutely nothing seemed to grow for me, at least not well.
    We've only got a handful of tomatoes left to enjoy, but this has been the best year we have ever had for tomatoes. So chuffed, because to be honest I have struggled with the garden since being ill and last year absolutely nothing seemed to grow...
    We've only got a handful of tomatoes left to enjoy, but this has been the best year we have ever had for tomatoes. So chuffed, because to be honest I have struggled with the garden since being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

VEGETABLE GROWING 2020

That is a possibility since it came from a rogue plant which might have germinated from a stray seed that I put into the compost heap along with the shop bought Jack O Lantern pumpkin that I...
    That is a possibility since it came from a rogue plant which might have germinated from a stray seed that I put into the compost heap along with the shop bought Jack O Lantern pumpkin that I carved last year.On the other hand, the weight and size of the pumpkin tells me that it will not be...
    That is a possibility since it came from a rogue plant which might have germinated from a stray seed that I put into the compost heap along with the shop bought Jack O Lantern pumpkin that I carved last year.On the other hand, the weight and...
    That is a possibility since it came from a rogue plant which might have germinated from a stray seed that I put into the compost heap along with the shop bought Jack O Lantern pumpkin that I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

CHILLIES 2020

We were picking some ripe ones by the end of May. :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Frankenstein comes to mind. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK
    Like x 5

Giant Onions 2020

Attempting to tidy and braid my onions today :rolleyespink:
    5DF80F3D-688B-415D-9F17-4736F419A258.jpeg 20200516_172748.jpg 15896563634101353841077.jpg 20200719_183822.jpg 20200709_092549.jpg 20200816_115625.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

GARDENERS DELIGHT SEED AND GERMINATION AND GROWING 2020

Sown Gardener's Delight 2005 & 2012 today :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steve R
    Like x 14

Sowing seeds too early.

Very useful information Steve :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  11.   » Normal Threads
  12. Gizmo

veg plants being eaten

many thaks for your replys i dont think its a bird problem as the whole area is netted due to cat issues , how would we find out if it is a bug issue thanks for your advice
    many thaks for your replys i dont think its a bird problem as the whole area is netted due to cat issues , how would we find out if it is a bug issue thanks for your advice
    IMG_20201014_160303_resized_20201014_042116954.jpg IMG_20201014_160308_resized_20201014_042055262.jpg IMG_20201011_164658_resized_20201015_101606900.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. misterQ

The Community Garden Bucket Growing Competition

The rules say that the green part can not exceed the length of the blanched part so the leaves had to be cut.
    The rules say that the green part can not exceed the length of the blanched part so the leaves had to be cut.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Gizmo

strawberry plants

many thanks for your help and advice :hapfeet:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. David Cook

Planting Garlic

Mine will be put in about 2 to 3 inches down.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Ruth82

Keeping apples healthy

Thanks I'll give that a try I always cut up first just incase or just use the good looking half still makes a decent pie or crumble yum
    Thanks I'll give that a try I always cut up first just incase or just use the good looking half still makes a decent pie or crumble yum
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Lizzie Rose

Pear Tree Pruned Too Early - advice and rant needed!

Not a great eater of pears myself, but if I do I like those yellow ones that are really ripe and full of juice. Some people like them crunchy like apples.
    Not a great eater of pears myself, but if I do I like those yellow ones that are really ripe and full of juice. Some people like them crunchy like apples.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JR
    Like x 5

Favorite edibles

My friend thinks he's really clever. He said the onion is the only fruit\veg item that can make you cry. So I threw a coconut at his face.
    My friend thinks he's really clever. He said the onion is the only fruit\veg item that can make you cry. So I threw a coconut at his face.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Selleri

Cucamelon mystery perhaps solved

I tried them a few years ago and only the ones in the greenhouse fruited, I think they like it warm or at least on a warm sunny wall.
    I tried them a few years ago and only the ones in the greenhouse fruited, I think they like it warm or at least on a warm sunny wall.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. nightofjoy

Windowsill Gherkins / cucumbers

Pollination is what is required by the sounds of it, get at it with a soft brush at midday.I think the massive one is the size they should be.:biggrin:
    Pollination is what is required by the sounds of it, get at it with a soft brush at midday.I think the massive one is the size they should be.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Nor

Blueberry plants no longer cropping

Hi,Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop. Though said to give a succession...
    Hi,Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop. Though said to give a succession of fruit, found they all came together, perhaps our shorter, more northern climate ? Buy Blueberry...
    Hi,Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop. Though said to give a succession of fruit, found they all came together, perhaps...
    Hi,Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop. Though said to give a succession...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Paul Blackburn

When to plant onion sets

They need to go through the winter outside. in containers will be ok.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. David Cook

What to do with tomatoes

Yeah pick any green fruit to ripen indoors and then put the plants on the compost heap, just cut the woody stems up a bit.
    Yeah pick any green fruit to ripen indoors and then put the plants on the compost heap, just cut the woody stems up a bit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ThePlantAssassin
    Like x 7

The biggest one I've ever grown

So glad things haven't gone pear shaped for you with this one:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Gloucester Gardener

Harvesting pumpkins and Crown Prince squash

Well I think squash can be left a bit longer just keep an eye open for rot at ground level, if the fruits are touching the ground. Think I would cut back some shoots and remove any new fruits....
    Well I think squash can be left a bit longer just keep an eye open for rot at ground level, if the fruits are touching the ground. Think I would cut back some shoots and remove any new fruits. Get the sun to the fruit.
    Well I think squash can be left a bit longer just keep an eye open for rot at ground level, if the fruits are touching the ground. Think I would cut back some shoots and remove any new fruits. Get the sun to the fruit.
    Well I think squash can be left a bit longer just keep an eye open for rot at ground level, if the fruits are touching the ground. Think I would cut back some shoots and remove any new fruits....
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. David G

Sloe?

They probably are sloes. They aren't poisonous whatever they are, so you can always check.The easy way is to pick one. Sloes have translucent greenish flesh. The most distinctive part for a sloe...
    They probably are sloes. They aren't poisonous whatever they are, so you can always check.The easy way is to pick one. Sloes have translucent greenish flesh. The most distinctive part for a sloe though is its astringency - it dries your mouth right up.A few things for sloe gin making though....
    They probably are sloes. They aren't poisonous whatever they are, so you can always check.The easy way is to pick one. Sloes have translucent greenish flesh. The most distinctive part for a sloe though is its astringency - it dries your mouth...
    They probably are sloes. They aren't poisonous whatever they are, so you can always check.The easy way is to pick one. Sloes have translucent greenish flesh. The most distinctive part for a sloe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Cordy

What to sow with Radish seeds in raised bed

From my church going days that looks exactly like a pulpit! It’s great and unique to your garden. Well done @Cordy keep creating!I am very lucky as my partner is a carpenter/joiner but I like to...
    From my church going days that looks exactly like a pulpit! It’s great and unique to your garden. Well done @Cordy keep creating!I am very lucky as my partner is a carpenter/joiner but I like to do things myself so we have a trade off. I do a little drawing design of what I want, ask him...
    From my church going days that looks exactly like a pulpit! It’s great and unique to your garden. Well done @Cordy keep creating!I am very lucky as my partner is a carpenter/joiner but I like to do things myself so we have a trade off. I do a...
    From my church going days that looks exactly like a pulpit! It’s great and unique to your garden. Well done @Cordy keep creating!I am very lucky as my partner is a carpenter/joiner but I like to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Graham B

Boozy berries

We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months later, it was time to strain them and inspect the results.Strawberry vodka is kind of a partial...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months later, it was time to strain them and inspect the...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months...
    15997710861650.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Tinkerbelle61

Advice on these carrots please

If it is green fly, yes you can use washing up liquid.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Sian in Belgium
    Like x 3

Successes and failures 2020

My main success this year has been the living willow hut. From a start as 2ft wands, the willows with better roots which I put in the corners are now as tall as me, and even the smaller ones which...
    My main success this year has been the living willow hut. From a start as 2ft wands, the willows with better roots which I put in the corners are now as tall as me, and even the smaller ones which started with basically no roots at all are doing OK. I'll prune in winter to keep them on track,...
    My main success this year has been the living willow hut. From a start as 2ft wands, the willows with better roots which I put in the corners are now as tall as me, and even the smaller ones which started with basically no roots at all are doing...
    My main success this year has been the living willow hut. From a start as 2ft wands, the willows with better roots which I put in the corners are now as tall as me, and even the smaller ones which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. peter121

re rhubarb.

good morning. could anyone give me any advice on red leaf. is the crown diseased and have to be disposed of or can it be salvaged. would appreciate any feed back. ps was inherited when we moved...
    good morning. could anyone give me any advice on red leaf. is the crown diseased and have to be disposed of or can it be salvaged. would appreciate any feed back. ps was inherited when we moved to new house so i do not know what the name is. regards peter.
    good morning. could anyone give me any advice on red leaf. is the crown diseased and have to be disposed of or can it be salvaged. would appreciate any feed back. ps was inherited when we moved to new house so i do not know what the name is....
    good morning. could anyone give me any advice on red leaf. is the crown diseased and have to be disposed of or can it be salvaged. would appreciate any feed back. ps was inherited when we moved...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice