Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Tomato Growing Thread 2022

i just took two nice ripe toms off the vine.....set them down for a photo and gone before i could click the button. The Mrs chomping on them like freshly picked apples.Have to wait again now lol
    i just took two nice ripe toms off the vine.....set them down for a photo and gone before i could click the button. The Mrs chomping on them like freshly picked apples.Have to wait again now lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK
    Like x 3

Chilies 2022

Sadly, the white fly decimated my super hots. I've cut them off at the the soil level and will sanitize the soil and pots once they have completely dried out.The Shiney hybrids came through the...
    Sadly, the white fly decimated my super hots. I've cut them off at the the soil level and will sanitize the soil and pots once they have completely dried out.The Shiney hybrids came through the battle and since they are in a different greenhouse, they didn't get reintroduced to the little...
    Sadly, the white fly decimated my super hots. I've cut them off at the the soil level and will sanitize the soil and pots once they have completely dried out.The Shiney hybrids came through the battle and since they are in a different...
    Sadly, the white fly decimated my super hots. I've cut them off at the the soil level and will sanitize the soil and pots once they have completely dried out.The Shiney hybrids came through the...
    IMG_20220101_101550135_HDR.jpg WIN_20220104_12_22_46_Pro.jpg 20220111_152113.jpg 20220111_152135.jpg IMG_20220120_203739717_HDR.jpg 20220205_154558.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Onion Growing 2022

I'm going to freeze them as these giant ones don't store so well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Potato growing 2022

Good harvest @Cordy it's great to have some help in the garden
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Thanks @Ezzie I am pleased you like Cherrola. Fingers crossed that Crokini is a good one too.
    Thanks @Ezzie I am pleased you like Cherrola. Fingers crossed that Crokini is a good one too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.Steve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK

Tomato taste test 2021

Thanks for your comments. Obviously I will be watching them. Sure you're correct about strength sapping. Leggy cuttings in the past (not tomatos) I've potted up deeper. Thanks again.
    Thanks for your comments. Obviously I will be watching them. Sure you're correct about strength sapping. Leggy cuttings in the past (not tomatos) I've potted up deeper. Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  12.   » Normal Threads
  13. jowwy

Cucumbers

Thanks both, will take them off tmrw.....so many on there already. My inlaws will be happy lol
    Thanks both, will take them off tmrw.....so many on there already. My inlaws will be happy lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Clueless 1 v2

Window sill edibles

I always have a round of herbs going on, basil, oregano and thyme at least. Grow lights keep them good through the winter.This year I'm planning to experiment and sow Chillies now. Perhaps also...
    I always have a round of herbs going on, basil, oregano and thyme at least. Grow lights keep them good through the winter.This year I'm planning to experiment and sow Chillies now. Perhaps also some French beans, just so that aphids and spider mites don't get hungry at Christmas. :biggrin: Since I...
    I always have a round of herbs going on, basil, oregano and thyme at least. Grow lights keep them good through the winter.This year I'm planning to experiment and sow Chillies now. Perhaps also some French beans, just so that aphids and spider...
    I always have a round of herbs going on, basil, oregano and thyme at least. Grow lights keep them good through the winter.This year I'm planning to experiment and sow Chillies now. Perhaps also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Clueless 1 v2

A couple of courgette questions

Mine have given up producing :( I think mine are sulking in the sandy soil with no nutrients and being neglected for a week while I was away. No mildew yet so maybe there's a linkage to richness...
    Mine have given up producing :( I think mine are sulking in the sandy soil with no nutrients and being neglected for a week while I was away. No mildew yet so maybe there's a linkage to richness of soil too?Fried courgette on toast is lovely as is courgette soup by the way.
    Mine have given up producing :( I think mine are sulking in the sandy soil with no nutrients and being neglected for a week while I was away. No mildew yet so maybe there's a linkage to richness of soil too?Fried courgette on toast is lovely as...
    Mine have given up producing :( I think mine are sulking in the sandy soil with no nutrients and being neglected for a week while I was away. No mildew yet so maybe there's a linkage to richness...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Clueless 1 v2

More plums than we can eat

It doesn't need to be that hot if you have it in full sun and sheltered from the wind. 85 in the shade, which is how temps are normally recorded, could be massively hotter in direct sunlight and...
    It doesn't need to be that hot if you have it in full sun and sheltered from the wind. 85 in the shade, which is how temps are normally recorded, could be massively hotter in direct sunlight and even higher on a reflective surface.
    It doesn't need to be that hot if you have it in full sun and sheltered from the wind. 85 in the shade, which is how temps are normally recorded, could be massively hotter in direct sunlight and even higher on a reflective surface.
    It doesn't need to be that hot if you have it in full sun and sheltered from the wind. 85 in the shade, which is how temps are normally recorded, could be massively hotter in direct sunlight and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK

Runner beans not setting

The blackfly came back onto our runners, only some of them, and were very thick along the stems. I blasted them off with the hose four days ago and no sign of return this morning. Our French...
    The blackfly came back onto our runners, only some of them, and were very thick along the stems. I blasted them off with the hose four days ago and no sign of return this morning. Our French beans are also pest free.
    The blackfly came back onto our runners, only some of them, and were very thick along the stems. I blasted them off with the hose four days ago and no sign of return this morning. Our French beans are also pest free.
    The blackfly came back onto our runners, only some of them, and were very thick along the stems. I blasted them off with the hose four days ago and no sign of return this morning. Our French...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. burnie

Raised beds, a short video, just click on the link

A more recent update on the raised beds Out in the garden - YouTube
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. jowwy

Fellow edible gardeners

How deep is the soil? You can plant certain varieties of potato now for late autumn cropping.Autumn and Christmas 'potatoes' - potato collection
    How deep is the soil? You can plant certain varieties of potato now for late autumn cropping.Autumn and Christmas 'potatoes' - potato collection
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Clueless 1 v2

Question for the.... Natural historians

History Of Jam, Jelly, & Preserves
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. teddy6

Can anyone name this herb for me

I think thyme as well. Rub the leaves and it should smell of thyme.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Aidan mc

Butternut squash only male flowers

Tends to be down to the maturity of the plants and growing conditions, keep watering and feeding and they should come good. Sometimes if they get a lot of fruit developing they will revert to...
    Tends to be down to the maturity of the plants and growing conditions, keep watering and feeding and they should come good. Sometimes if they get a lot of fruit developing they will revert to mainly/all male flowers.
    Tends to be down to the maturity of the plants and growing conditions, keep watering and feeding and they should come good. Sometimes if they get a lot of fruit developing they will revert to mainly/all male flowers.
    Tends to be down to the maturity of the plants and growing conditions, keep watering and feeding and they should come good. Sometimes if they get a lot of fruit developing they will revert to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Michael04

Cucamelons

Hoooo..that's you and JWK off the Christmas card list! lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ricky101

Blackberry Merton Thornless

Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old...
    Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old Merton which looks even poorer after the heatwave. Will give it a foliar feed and see if that perks it...
    Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old Merton which looks even poorer after the...
    Thanks for the photos, it looks a compact plant for a Blackberry which would suit our small garden.Think we will have to look for a new plant as still no signs of any new shoots on the old...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Clueless 1 v2

All the things I didn't know I didn't know about cucumber

This is fascinating. Lots of useless but interesting info about cucumbers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. mazambo

Rhubarb?

More seriously you just need a big pot, somebody I worked with grew rhubarb in a 1 m x 1 m x 1 m planter quite successfully, just needed plenty of water.
    More seriously you just need a big pot, somebody I worked with grew rhubarb in a 1 m x 1 m x 1 m planter quite successfully, just needed plenty of water.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. dogsbody

Tall spuds

Excellent idea John, I'll keep that in mind for next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Clueless 1 v2
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Jowo

Room for Aubergines

Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I did spot a bout of aphids so have zapped them with diluted washing up liquid and hoping that does the...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I did spot a bout of aphids so have zapped them with...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Michael04

Raspberry leaves.Advice please

Morning, Thanks ricky101
    Morning, Thanks ricky101
    Morning, Thanks ricky101
    Morning, Thanks ricky101
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. jowwy

Purple headed Spring Onion

I have 20 in the row, but i only pulled that one
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. NigelJ

Soft fruit disaster

I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they clumsily pecked at everything looking even remotely like a piece of fruit, ripe er green.(destroyed my...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they clumsily pecked at everything looking even remotely...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice