1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Potato Growing 2024

We started growing potatoes three years ago when I retired. I'd never done so before. I always buy Maris Piper seed potatoes and have had crops that were just about OK and one bumper crop.We...
    We started growing potatoes three years ago when I retired. I'd never done so before. I always buy Maris Piper seed potatoes and have had crops that were just about OK and one bumper crop.We are about 750 feet up on the edge of The Pennines and it can get a bit bleak. The potatoes will be...
    We started growing potatoes three years ago when I retired. I'd never done so before. I always buy Maris Piper seed potatoes and have had crops that were just about OK and one bumper crop.We are about 750 feet up on the edge of The Pennines...
    We started growing potatoes three years ago when I retired. I'd never done so before. I always buy Maris Piper seed potatoes and have had crops that were just about OK and one bumper crop.We...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2024

Just been hanging more washing out in the sun ... it's gorgeous out there today (a change from yesterday's drizzle) ... there are bumbles and solitary bees busy on the brunnera and the Golden...
    Just been hanging more washing out in the sun ... it's gorgeous out there today (a change from yesterday's drizzle) ... there are bumbles and solitary bees busy on the brunnera and the Golden Flowering Current ... here's hoping they're finding the beans and are still about when the pear blossom...
    Just been hanging more washing out in the sun ... it's gorgeous out there today (a change from yesterday's drizzle) ... there are bumbles and solitary bees busy on the brunnera and the Golden Flowering Current ... here's hoping they're finding...
    Just been hanging more washing out in the sun ... it's gorgeous out there today (a change from yesterday's drizzle) ... there are bumbles and solitary bees busy on the brunnera and the Golden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Tomato Growing 2024

size of those I havnt planted the seeds yet always leave till first week Of April
    size of those I havnt planted the seeds yet always leave till first week Of April
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Chillies 2024

Thanks very much @Hanglow . I'm in France so can't get seeds or plugs from a UK site but I'll certainly investigate the varieties you've mentioned and see what I can get here.
    Thanks very much @Hanglow . I'm in France so can't get seeds or plugs from a UK site but I'll certainly investigate the varieties you've mentioned and see what I can get here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. burnie
    Like x 4

Onion Growing 2024

I grow 'giant' onions, a variety called Kelsae but grown from seed started in December.I haven't grown giant ones from sets, a quick google shows you should be searching for sets labelled as...
    I grow 'giant' onions, a variety called Kelsae but grown from seed started in December.I haven't grown giant ones from sets, a quick google shows you should be searching for sets labelled as 'Exhibition' e.g. Onion Plant 'Shirleys' Giant Exhibition' seems to be young plants rather than sets.
    I grow 'giant' onions, a variety called Kelsae but grown from seed started in December.I haven't grown giant ones from sets, a quick google shows you should be searching for sets labelled as 'Exhibition' e.g. Onion Plant 'Shirleys' Giant...
    I grow 'giant' onions, a variety called Kelsae but grown from seed started in December.I haven't grown giant ones from sets, a quick google shows you should be searching for sets labelled as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. burnie
    Like x 4

Seed sorting for 2024

I've just ordered some cut-price seeds from Sarah Raven and not a single one was a tomato variety. I'm off to polish my halo.Sarah Raven - All you need for a beautiful & productive garden
    I've just ordered some cut-price seeds from Sarah Raven and not a single one was a tomato variety. I'm off to polish my halo.Sarah Raven - All you need for a beautiful & productive garden
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fred Clarke

Tomato Seed Swaps

I have only just discovered this section of GC and then only because NigelJ guided me here. Thanks NigelJ.Hello tomato seed collectors. Although I have grown tomatoes for many years, I am new...
    I have only just discovered this section of GC and then only because NigelJ guided me here. Thanks NigelJ.Hello tomato seed collectors. Although I have grown tomatoes for many years, I am new to this hobby of collecting rare and cherished varieties. Coming too late for the autumn seed swaps...
    I have only just discovered this section of GC and then only because NigelJ guided me here. Thanks NigelJ.Hello tomato seed collectors. Although I have grown tomatoes for many years, I am new to this hobby of collecting rare and cherished...
    I have only just discovered this section of GC and then only because NigelJ guided me here. Thanks NigelJ.Hello tomato seed collectors. Although I have grown tomatoes for many years, I am new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2023

In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Will definitely try Honey Moon next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    ... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.Steve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. THFC

Advice re container raspberries

Hi Spruce,Thank you. This is what I was thinking. 6 per container seems a bit strange.Ultimately I do want to plant them in the garden - but have just read that I shouldn't plant them in...
    Hi Spruce,Thank you. This is what I was thinking. 6 per container seems a bit strange.Ultimately I do want to plant them in the garden - but have just read that I shouldn't plant them in places where tomatoes have been planted recently - and annoyingly I've previously planted tomatoes...
    Hi Spruce,Thank you. This is what I was thinking. 6 per container seems a bit strange.Ultimately I do want to plant them in the garden - but have just read that I shouldn't plant them in places where tomatoes have been planted recently - and...
    Hi Spruce,Thank you. This is what I was thinking. 6 per container seems a bit strange.Ultimately I do want to plant them in the garden - but have just read that I shouldn't plant them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Stooey89

Dwarf Apple Tree problem

Hiya, Ok great - thanks for advice! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Greecko

Shipping to Northern Ireland

There is a sticky thread hereUK seed suppliers (delivering to NI)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. wargarden2017

1918 war garden plan from chicago tribune.

here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Victoria

Citrus paradisi, Ruby Red Grapefruit

Failing that, @Victoria, try to get hold of some Miracle-Gro. Ordinary or for ericaceous plants, either is fine. Citrus absolutely love feed and water through the spring, summer and autumn, and I...
    Failing that, @Victoria, try to get hold of some Miracle-Gro. Ordinary or for ericaceous plants, either is fine. Citrus absolutely love feed and water through the spring, summer and autumn, and I get tons of fruit from my citrus trees-in-half barrels as long as they get a fortnightly dose of MG....
    Failing that, @Victoria, try to get hold of some Miracle-Gro. Ordinary or for ericaceous plants, either is fine. Citrus absolutely love feed and water through the spring, summer and autumn, and I get tons of fruit from my citrus trees-in-half...
    Failing that, @Victoria, try to get hold of some Miracle-Gro. Ordinary or for ericaceous plants, either is fine. Citrus absolutely love feed and water through the spring, summer and autumn, and I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. ChilliPepper

What's happening to my Chilies?

Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild)....
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild). I've no artificial lighting.It could well be that they got cold. My greenhouse is kept at a...
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild). I've no artificial lighting.It could well be...
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild)....
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. hi2u_uk

prunus avium Sylvia DWARF cherry tree

thanks but just to be clear are you suggesting it can be permanently kept in a 45-50cm pot. I want to buy a dwarf tree
    thanks but just to be clear are you suggesting it can be permanently kept in a 45-50cm pot. I want to buy a dwarf tree
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. KEVIN247

Seaweed as a vegetable plot top dressing

And nettles.
    And nettles.
    And nettles.
    And nettles.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Greecko

Pea varities

Back in the 80s we had a local pea farmer, ( famous for cutting down trees and ripping up hedgerows), and you could go to his farm to buy loose podded peas, idea for freezing it said.They turned...
    Back in the 80s we had a local pea farmer, ( famous for cutting down trees and ripping up hedgerows), and you could go to his farm to buy loose podded peas, idea for freezing it said.They turned out to be those hard as bullet type peas that were probably more suitable for canning or mushy...
    Back in the 80s we had a local pea farmer, ( famous for cutting down trees and ripping up hedgerows), and you could go to his farm to buy loose podded peas, idea for freezing it said.They turned out to be those hard as bullet type peas that...
    Back in the 80s we had a local pea farmer, ( famous for cutting down trees and ripping up hedgerows), and you could go to his farm to buy loose podded peas, idea for freezing it said.They turned...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. dogsbody

Broad Beans

Thanks for that Pete,that's more than I'd hoped for.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Snorky85

Sweet Peppers

My sweet peppers have started to germinate after a week. Took out a couple of pots with seed leaves from the propagator and replaced with a sowing of 2 x Mini Bell Chocolate sweet peppers.
    My sweet peppers have started to germinate after a week. Took out a couple of pots with seed leaves from the propagator and replaced with a sowing of 2 x Mini Bell Chocolate sweet peppers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Bear1

Finally buying apple trees

Should be Ok, they are pretty tough plants and hardy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Bear1

Apple tree true from seed

We have a wild apple tree growing nearby which has lovely looking fruit but absolutely tasteless! I guess it grew from a core someone threw out.
    We have a wild apple tree growing nearby which has lovely looking fruit but absolutely tasteless! I guess it grew from a core someone threw out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Bear1

Which apple trees would you get

Hi sorry not sure but afreind of mine has the Liberty apple tree she said.its a sweet, juicy, and crisp apple and . is very resistant to scab, cedar apple rust, mildew, and fireblight
    Hi sorry not sure but afreind of mine has the Liberty apple tree she said.its a sweet, juicy, and crisp apple and . is very resistant to scab, cedar apple rust, mildew, and fireblight
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. JWK

Vegetable growing 2023

Link to new threadVegetable Growing 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. JWK

Potato Growing 2023

Link to new threadPotato Growing 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. JWK

Chillies 2023

Link to new threadChillies 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. JWK

Tomato Growing Thread 2023

Link to new threadTomato Growing 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. JWK

Melon Growing Advice

That's where I got my seeds from ricky
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Karen S

Grapevine

Hi and Welcome,This recent Beechgrove episode had what looked like a good and easy to follow guide to winter pruning Vines.BBC iPlayer - Beechgrove Garden - Beechgrove Garden in Winter:...
    Hi and Welcome,This recent Beechgrove episode had what looked like a good and easy to follow guide to winter pruning Vines.BBC iPlayer - Beechgrove Garden - Beechgrove Garden in Winter: Episode 4These sites may help as well -Grapes: pruning and training / RHS GardeningHow to Grow...
    Hi and Welcome,This recent Beechgrove episode had what looked like a good and easy to follow guide to winter pruning Vines.BBC iPlayer - Beechgrove Garden - Beechgrove Garden in Winter: Episode 4These sites may help as well -Grapes:...
    Hi and Welcome,This recent Beechgrove episode had what looked like a good and easy to follow guide to winter pruning Vines.BBC iPlayer - Beechgrove Garden - Beechgrove Garden in Winter:...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice