Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Tomato taste test 2021

Thanks for your comments. Obviously I will be watching them. Sure you're correct about strength sapping. Leggy cuttings in the past (not tomatos) I've potted up deeper. Thanks again.
    Thanks for your comments. Obviously I will be watching them. Sure you're correct about strength sapping. Leggy cuttings in the past (not tomatos) I've potted up deeper. Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2021

@Hanglow my greenhouse is similarly shaded during the winter. I do get a crop of winter lettuce but it grows very slowly. Yours look good, should get some. Watch out for slugs at this time of year...
    @Hanglow my greenhouse is similarly shaded during the winter. I do get a crop of winter lettuce but it grows very slowly. Yours look good, should get some. Watch out for slugs at this time of year year.
    @Hanglow my greenhouse is similarly shaded during the winter. I do get a crop of winter lettuce but it grows very slowly. Yours look good, should get some. Watch out for slugs at this time of year year.
    @Hanglow my greenhouse is similarly shaded during the winter. I do get a crop of winter lettuce but it grows very slowly. Yours look good, should get some. Watch out for slugs at this time of year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK
    Like x 4

Chillies 2021

Hello @JimmyB,This year was the first with my new larger greenhouse. Most of my chilis were planted in 18litre pots with some of the ornamentals in 10/11 litre pots. I planted many Superhots but...
    Hello @JimmyB,This year was the first with my new larger greenhouse. Most of my chilis were planted in 18litre pots with some of the ornamentals in 10/11 litre pots. I planted many Superhots but some that were shall we say more traditional (Cayenne, Birds Eye......). I should also explain that...
    Hello @JimmyB,This year was the first with my new larger greenhouse. Most of my chilis were planted in 18litre pots with some of the ornamentals in 10/11 litre pots. I planted many Superhots but some that were shall we say more traditional...
    Hello @JimmyB,This year was the first with my new larger greenhouse. Most of my chilis were planted in 18litre pots with some of the ornamentals in 10/11 litre pots. I planted many Superhots but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK
    Like x 3

Tomato Growing Thread 2021

Thank you: yes - I've just had a read. Sounds like either one uses Bordeaux Mixture - which includes a toxic (to humans, livestock, fish and earthworms among others) copper compound, accumulating...
    Thank you: yes - I've just had a read. Sounds like either one uses Bordeaux Mixture - which includes a toxic (to humans, livestock, fish and earthworms among others) copper compound, accumulating up the food chain - or try the blight resistant varieties but they only go so far.I'm not keen on...
    Thank you: yes - I've just had a read. Sounds like either one uses Bordeaux Mixture - which includes a toxic (to humans, livestock, fish and earthworms among others) copper compound, accumulating up the food chain - or try the blight resistant...
    Thank you: yes - I've just had a read. Sounds like either one uses Bordeaux Mixture - which includes a toxic (to humans, livestock, fish and earthworms among others) copper compound, accumulating...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK

Potato growing 2021

Just tipped out my Kennebec 'seed' spuds. I bought some in 2018, but as they've never become available again, each year I grow some in pots of MPC grown under cover to produce tubers to sow the...
    Just tipped out my Kennebec 'seed' spuds. I bought some in 2018, but as they've never become available again, each year I grow some in pots of MPC grown under cover to produce tubers to sow the following year. In case of blight getting inside, I grow them 2 locations, planting late and...
    Just tipped out my Kennebec 'seed' spuds. I bought some in 2018, but as they've never become available again, each year I grow some in pots of MPC grown under cover to produce tubers to sow the following year. In case of blight getting inside, I...
    Just tipped out my Kennebec 'seed' spuds. I bought some in 2018, but as they've never become available again, each year I grow some in pots of MPC grown under cover to produce tubers to sow the...
    F7B9EC1F-2385-4BB4-84D2-A72EBF603ABD.png E4D56BD6-5660-422F-BEB3-16C0F2C9F941.jpeg IMG_20210222_153841428.jpg IMG_20210222_152251590.jpg IMG_20210222_152239555.jpg 3345CC7A-A528-44DA-8E97-17BD67DA6F8E.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JWK

Giant Onions 2021

Nice to see other people have Oxalis problems as well.:roflol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

The sticks
    The sticks
    The sticks
    The sticks
    IMG_20210522_200131946.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  12.   » Normal Threads
  13. FrancescaH

Fruit bush winter care?

Excited for you, nothing to beat a new house with a proper garden :hapydancsmil:You will have to post pics of the new garden, before and after.If you do not already have them, well worth getting some of the...
    Excited for you, nothing to beat a new house with a proper garden :hapydancsmil:You will have to post pics of the new garden, before and after.If you do not already have them, well worth getting some of the many seed catalogues that have been sent out lately, the Kings Seeds being a very good one for veg...
    Excited for you, nothing to beat a new house with a proper garden :hapydancsmil:You will have to post pics of the new garden, before and after.If you do not already have them, well worth getting some of the many seed catalogues that have been sent out...
    Excited for you, nothing to beat a new house with a proper garden :hapydancsmil:You will have to post pics of the new garden, before and after.If you do not already have them, well worth getting some of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Rokusii

Edibles in containers/pots - watering

Hello fellow TynesiderWith container growing the key is to get the biggest pots you can find. Watering is easier, and the plants are less likely to get blown over.Raised beds sound great,...
    Hello fellow TynesiderWith container growing the key is to get the biggest pots you can find. Watering is easier, and the plants are less likely to get blown over.Raised beds sound great, and it shouldn't be impossible to build one next to the house wall although it would be a good idea...
    Hello fellow TynesiderWith container growing the key is to get the biggest pots you can find. Watering is easier, and the plants are less likely to get blown over.Raised beds sound great, and it shouldn't be impossible to build one next to...
    Hello fellow TynesiderWith container growing the key is to get the biggest pots you can find. Watering is easier, and the plants are less likely to get blown over.Raised beds sound great,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. IceColdRum

Passiflora incarnata?

Another update.The plant has reached heights of over 3 meters. And even with temperatures near zero degrees Celsius it didn't lose a single leaf. One of the flowers actually turned into a...
    Another update.The plant has reached heights of over 3 meters. And even with temperatures near zero degrees Celsius it didn't lose a single leaf. One of the flowers actually turned into a passion fruit. I let it sit for weeks and weeks. It is supposed to turn yellow but I figured that won't...
    Another update.The plant has reached heights of over 3 meters. And even with temperatures near zero degrees Celsius it didn't lose a single leaf. One of the flowers actually turned into a passion fruit. I let it sit for weeks and weeks. It is...
    Another update.The plant has reached heights of over 3 meters. And even with temperatures near zero degrees Celsius it didn't lose a single leaf. One of the flowers actually turned into a...
    P1250873.JPG IMG_20210330_164422.jpg IMG_20210330_164428.jpg IMG_20210406_184504.jpg IMG_20210419_164149.jpg IMG_20210728_174032.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. PhilC

Help my Lemon tree is dropping all it's leaves!

Hello Phil, I don't know whereabouts you are, but citrus are best kept in a cool, light but frost-free place over winter. They don't like being in hot, dry houses. They can't stand sitting in...
    Hello Phil, I don't know whereabouts you are, but citrus are best kept in a cool, light but frost-free place over winter. They don't like being in hot, dry houses. They can't stand sitting in water either. If you've got a south-facing porch or shelter of some kind, it'll be much happier...
    Hello Phil, I don't know whereabouts you are, but citrus are best kept in a cool, light but frost-free place over winter. They don't like being in hot, dry houses. They can't stand sitting in water either. If you've got a south-facing porch or...
    Hello Phil, I don't know whereabouts you are, but citrus are best kept in a cool, light but frost-free place over winter. They don't like being in hot, dry houses. They can't stand sitting in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. portoman

Complete beginner - idea for veg planting in autumn / shallow depths.

. Also the planters are outside in the garden, not in a greenhouse.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Glynne Williams

Taking Tomato plant cuttings

Thanks for info! They in heated conservatory/greenhouse but havnt èxtra light ....... yet! Been thinking about it for a while but not purchased. Not really sure what to buy. Cuttings growing well...
    Thanks for info! They in heated conservatory/greenhouse but havnt èxtra light ....... yet! Been thinking about it for a while but not purchased. Not really sure what to buy. Cuttings growing well so far but daylight obviously shortening! Yes the bloody white fly. Kept them away from cuttings...
    Thanks for info! They in heated conservatory/greenhouse but havnt èxtra light ....... yet! Been thinking about it for a while but not purchased. Not really sure what to buy. Cuttings growing well so far but daylight obviously shortening! Yes the...
    Thanks for info! They in heated conservatory/greenhouse but havnt èxtra light ....... yet! Been thinking about it for a while but not purchased. Not really sure what to buy. Cuttings growing well...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Frazzled

Old grape vine

Having seen another picture of the tunnel, I think the cover is ripped so maybe improvement in ventilation isn't needed. :biggrin:
    Having seen another picture of the tunnel, I think the cover is ripped so maybe improvement in ventilation isn't needed. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Frazzled

Unhappy blackcurrant bushes

Those black currants will have changed lives by tomorrow when I implement your suggestions. Very much appreciated.
    Those black currants will have changed lives by tomorrow when I implement your suggestions. Very much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Selleri

Ornamental gourds- growing advise?

Thanks @JWK, sounds fairly easy :)I'll give them a try, it's so nice to test new things and the fruit can indeed look delightful.
    Thanks @JWK, sounds fairly easy :)I'll give them a try, it's so nice to test new things and the fruit can indeed look delightful.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Order a load of packets to reduce the unit cost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. noisette47

Jerusalem Artichokes

Well, @Macraignil! Thank you so much for the explanation :) Thanks, all :) I was thinking in terms of soup and roasting too, so I'll report back :biggrin: 'S alright for you, you don't share the house. But...
    Well, @Macraignil! Thank you so much for the explanation :) Thanks, all :) I was thinking in terms of soup and roasting too, so I'll report back :biggrin: 'S alright for you, you don't share the house. But the look of reproach on the cats' faces is humiliating :roflol:
    Well, @Macraignil! Thank you so much for the explanation :) Thanks, all :) I was thinking in terms of soup and roasting too, so I'll report back :biggrin: 'S alright for you, you don't share the house. But the look of reproach on the cats' faces is...
    Well, @Macraignil! Thank you so much for the explanation :) Thanks, all :) I was thinking in terms of soup and roasting too, so I'll report back :biggrin: 'S alright for you, you don't share the house. But...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. hailbopp

Alpine Strawberries

Roundup is a good product for them, but I still have loads. I hate the smell and taste of strawberries BTW:eeew:
    Roundup is a good product for them, but I still have loads. I hate the smell and taste of strawberries BTW:eeew:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Jackqoeu3

What is the rarest/unknown fruit native to Britain?

Not sure if my memory is serving me correctly, but I am sure I read somewhere that the only native fruit is the Gooseberry. Native as in found only here.
    Not sure if my memory is serving me correctly, but I am sure I read somewhere that the only native fruit is the Gooseberry. Native as in found only here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Smufter

Newbie to veggie growing.............

Ok, i did wonder with the toms.. I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed. My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June...
    Ok, i did wonder with the toms.. I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed. My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June which will then allow your nicely reared runner beans to have all the space. I don't believe that...
    Ok, i did wonder with the toms.. I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed. My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June which will then allow your nicely reared runner...
    Ok, i did wonder with the toms.. I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed. My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June...
    raised bed.jpg growbag container.jpg DSC_0015.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. JWK

Melon Growing Advice

Poop, you definitely beat me JWK:)Some of yours are bigger and you got more, but I had enough to make it worthwhile and they were delicious. All my plants conked out very quickly so I too picked...
    Poop, you definitely beat me JWK:)Some of yours are bigger and you got more, but I had enough to make it worthwhile and they were delicious. All my plants conked out very quickly so I too picked what I had. All eaten and I gave 2 to friends who also enjoyed them so worth it in the end.
    Poop, you definitely beat me JWK:)Some of yours are bigger and you got more, but I had enough to make it worthwhile and they were delicious. All my plants conked out very quickly so I too picked what I had. All eaten and I gave 2 to friends who...
    Poop, you definitely beat me JWK:)Some of yours are bigger and you got more, but I had enough to make it worthwhile and they were delicious. All my plants conked out very quickly so I too picked...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Paul waterhouse

Raspberry suckers

I've done that successfully and much earlier in the year, so should even better now, I did about half a dozen to a 10L ex Morrisons flower bucket (with holes drilled in base) and placed somewhere...
    I've done that successfully and much earlier in the year, so should even better now, I did about half a dozen to a 10L ex Morrisons flower bucket (with holes drilled in base) and placed somewhere shady, but the latter probably not so important now it's cooler.
    I've done that successfully and much earlier in the year, so should even better now, I did about half a dozen to a 10L ex Morrisons flower bucket (with holes drilled in base) and placed somewhere shady, but the latter probably not so important...
    I've done that successfully and much earlier in the year, so should even better now, I did about half a dozen to a 10L ex Morrisons flower bucket (with holes drilled in base) and placed somewhere...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Paul waterhouse

Stolen blueberries

I put down a few mouse traps around my fruit patch. I got 2 every day for a week and then nothing......I don't believe I've wiped the little suckers out though. Maybe they went off the peanut...
    I put down a few mouse traps around my fruit patch. I got 2 every day for a week and then nothing......I don't believe I've wiped the little suckers out though. Maybe they went off the peanut butterOn a positive note my cane grown raspberries came good. They are delicious.
    I put down a few mouse traps around my fruit patch. I got 2 every day for a week and then nothing......I don't believe I've wiped the little suckers out though. Maybe they went off the peanut butterOn a positive note my cane grown raspberries...
    I put down a few mouse traps around my fruit patch. I got 2 every day for a week and then nothing......I don't believe I've wiped the little suckers out though. Maybe they went off the peanut...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. ricky101

Butter Beans

We always have several tins of butter beans in the cupboard. They are relatively cheap so i haven't tried growing them. They are a good addition to stews and curries etc.
    We always have several tins of butter beans in the cupboard. They are relatively cheap so i haven't tried growing them. They are a good addition to stews and curries etc.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Gizmo

dwarf pillar fruit tree

Your welcome:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Gizmo

Strawberry and runner beans

Thanks for the advice but I am not a gardener but first time for everything
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice