1. THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE 2 MINUTE SILENCE
    IN MEMORY OF ARMANDII

Armandii's chosen charity was Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) - donations in his memory are welcomed, paid directly to the charity. Please ask a member of Admin for further information.

Dismiss Notice
We have a very sad announcement to make - please see the thread in the link below:

Please Click Here

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK
    Like x 3

Tomato Growing Thread 2021

Thanks JWK. I Feel a lot easier now. And I will do as pete says (thanks Pete) and keep them 0n the dry side until the roots recover.
    Thanks JWK. I Feel a lot easier now. And I will do as pete says (thanks Pete) and keep them 0n the dry side until the roots recover.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Potato growing 2021

Just looked at them, they seem fine, not a brown leaf in sight.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK
    Like x 4

Chillies 2021

Thanks @CanadianLori - that is really helpful -- that is exactly what I was confused about ( ie I can understand that there will be some nuance to pot size based on how much you want to feed/water...
    Thanks @CanadianLori - that is really helpful -- that is exactly what I was confused about ( ie I can understand that there will be some nuance to pot size based on how much you want to feed/water and your climate , but the advice is massively variable even on the same variety. Perhaps the...
    Thanks @CanadianLori - that is really helpful -- that is exactly what I was confused about ( ie I can understand that there will be some nuance to pot size based on how much you want to feed/water and your climate , but the advice is massively...
    Thanks @CanadianLori - that is really helpful -- that is exactly what I was confused about ( ie I can understand that there will be some nuance to pot size based on how much you want to feed/water...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2021

I have bronze fennel in the garden and it self seeds all over the place every year! Great as an ornamental and great to flavour stews and use like dill for fish. I never have success with dill -...
    I have bronze fennel in the garden and it self seeds all over the place every year! Great as an ornamental and great to flavour stews and use like dill for fish. I never have success with dill - it always bolts before I get to use it so fennel works great as a substitute for me.
    I have bronze fennel in the garden and it self seeds all over the place every year! Great as an ornamental and great to flavour stews and use like dill for fish. I never have success with dill - it always bolts before I get to use it so fennel...
    I have bronze fennel in the garden and it self seeds all over the place every year! Great as an ornamental and great to flavour stews and use like dill for fish. I never have success with dill -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Steve R
    Like x 14

Sowing seeds too early.

Unless you're bringing on hundreds of early plants it may not worth the expense of heated propagators, growlights, greenhouse heater, fuel, etc., just to get plants a few weeks ahead, when as...
    Unless you're bringing on hundreds of early plants it may not worth the expense of heated propagators, growlights, greenhouse heater, fuel, etc., just to get plants a few weeks ahead, when as Nigel mentions above, it could actually cause a problem if the weather's like it has been this year.
    Unless you're bringing on hundreds of early plants it may not worth the expense of heated propagators, growlights, greenhouse heater, fuel, etc., just to get plants a few weeks ahead, when as Nigel mentions above, it could actually cause a...
    Unless you're bringing on hundreds of early plants it may not worth the expense of heated propagators, growlights, greenhouse heater, fuel, etc., just to get plants a few weeks ahead, when as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JWK

Giant Onions 2021

That could be a problem pete with such an early start, I am carefully hardening them off for a couple of weeks to minimise any shock.Bringing them back indoors like last night, it was only 3C.
    That could be a problem pete with such an early start, I am carefully hardening them off for a couple of weeks to minimise any shock.Bringing them back indoors like last night, it was only 3C.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

GARDENERS DELIGHT SEED AND GERMINATION AND GROWING 2020

Sown Gardener's Delight 2005 & 2012 today :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  12.   » Normal Threads
  13. Ademission

Hydroponics - Wilma and Deep Water systems

Hi John, thanks for your reply.I use both hydroponics and soil. I can't tell the difference in taste but the crop size is better with the hydroponics. I don't get splitting of the tomatoes with...
    Hi John, thanks for your reply.I use both hydroponics and soil. I can't tell the difference in taste but the crop size is better with the hydroponics. I don't get splitting of the tomatoes with hydro (usually attributed to uneven watering). The nutrient solution is topped up as necessary and...
    Hi John, thanks for your reply.I use both hydroponics and soil. I can't tell the difference in taste but the crop size is better with the hydroponics. I don't get splitting of the tomatoes with hydro (usually attributed to uneven watering). The...
    Hi John, thanks for your reply.I use both hydroponics and soil. I can't tell the difference in taste but the crop size is better with the hydroponics. I don't get splitting of the tomatoes with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Selleri

How do cucumbers work? Newbie question

You'll know when you taste the first fruit :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Sargan

Dealing with wind damage

How deep are they, going by the photo it's difficult to see but maybe planted too shallow.
    How deep are they, going by the photo it's difficult to see but maybe planted too shallow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII

VEGETABLE GROWING 2020

New Thread Here:-Vegetable Growing 2021
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Selleri

Cucumber seedlings- planting deeper or not?

Thanks for your advise, I decided to plant half of the seedlings a bit deeper and half in the same depth. Both versions have been successful :scratch:Next question :): What do I do with the flowers? I'm a...
    Thanks for your advise, I decided to plant half of the seedlings a bit deeper and half in the same depth. Both versions have been successful :scratch:Next question :): What do I do with the flowers? I'm a cucumber newbie and can't decide if these should be removed, left alone, or hand pollinated now that...
    Thanks for your advise, I decided to plant half of the seedlings a bit deeper and half in the same depth. Both versions have been successful :scratch:Next question :): What do I do with the flowers? I'm a cucumber newbie and can't decide if these should...
    Thanks for your advise, I decided to plant half of the seedlings a bit deeper and half in the same depth. Both versions have been successful :scratch:Next question :): What do I do with the flowers? I'm a...
    cucumbers.jpg kurkku.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Sargan

Onions & Garlic leaves going yellow

do you have a strawberry plant bottom right ?its the watering as you have mentioned , downside of them not growing evenly it stresses the plant out and you may have more that want to flower in...
    do you have a strawberry plant bottom right ?its the watering as you have mentioned , downside of them not growing evenly it stresses the plant out and you may have more that want to flower in the summer ..if they do just nip the bud off .Also I would use a water based feed that has quick...
    do you have a strawberry plant bottom right ?its the watering as you have mentioned , downside of them not growing evenly it stresses the plant out and you may have more that want to flower in the summer ..if they do just nip the bud off .Also...
    do you have a strawberry plant bottom right ?its the watering as you have mentioned , downside of them not growing evenly it stresses the plant out and you may have more that want to flower in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JWK

Which Blueberries to grow ?

I always have to cover mine with fleece to stop the blackbirds even before they're ripe enough for us to eat. I've got Spartan, Top hat Chandler and a few others. Have to grow them in pots the...
    I always have to cover mine with fleece to stop the blackbirds even before they're ripe enough for us to eat. I've got Spartan, Top hat Chandler and a few others. Have to grow them in pots the soil isn't suitable for them in my garden.
    I always have to cover mine with fleece to stop the blackbirds even before they're ripe enough for us to eat. I've got Spartan, Top hat Chandler and a few others. Have to grow them in pots the soil isn't suitable for them in my garden.
    I always have to cover mine with fleece to stop the blackbirds even before they're ripe enough for us to eat. I've got Spartan, Top hat Chandler and a few others. Have to grow them in pots the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mazambo

Blueberries, do need to repot?

I would definitely give them more room to grow. Those pots look tiny compared to the plant.Additionally it helps during summer as bigger pots can store more moisture for your plants. You don't...
    I would definitely give them more room to grow. Those pots look tiny compared to the plant.Additionally it helps during summer as bigger pots can store more moisture for your plants. You don't have to water them daily that way.
    I would definitely give them more room to grow. Those pots look tiny compared to the plant.Additionally it helps during summer as bigger pots can store more moisture for your plants. You don't have to water them daily that way.
    I would definitely give them more room to grow. Those pots look tiny compared to the plant.Additionally it helps during summer as bigger pots can store more moisture for your plants. You don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Tom Dee

Dock leaf or chard?

Looks more like a dock leaf to me anyway.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. IceColdRum

Passiflora incarnata?

Another Update:Two weeks have passed and to support the incarnatas, I gave them a bamboo stick each. Took them less than an hour to tightly latch on to them. They are now outside during the day...
    Another Update:Two weeks have passed and to support the incarnatas, I gave them a bamboo stick each. Took them less than an hour to tightly latch on to them. They are now outside during the day to prepare them for wind and weather. But as the nights are still near the freezing point I don't...
    Another Update:Two weeks have passed and to support the incarnatas, I gave them a bamboo stick each. Took them less than an hour to tightly latch on to them. They are now outside during the day to prepare them for wind and weather. But as the...
    Another Update:Two weeks have passed and to support the incarnatas, I gave them a bamboo stick each. Took them less than an hour to tightly latch on to them. They are now outside during the day...
    P1250873.JPG IMG_20210330_164422.jpg IMG_20210330_164428.jpg IMG_20210406_184504.jpg IMG_20210419_164149.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. jumanji

New strawberry patch

As for what type, I've had a couple of goes at shoot-outs of all the varieties I could get from garden centres. Each time I've bought 3 plants of each type to compare them.Elsanta have always...
    As for what type, I've had a couple of goes at shoot-outs of all the varieties I could get from garden centres. Each time I've bought 3 plants of each type to compare them.Elsanta have always been large but flavourless, exactly like they always are in the supermarkets. Cambridge Favourite have...
    As for what type, I've had a couple of goes at shoot-outs of all the varieties I could get from garden centres. Each time I've bought 3 plants of each type to compare them.Elsanta have always been large but flavourless, exactly like they always...
    As for what type, I've had a couple of goes at shoot-outs of all the varieties I could get from garden centres. Each time I've bought 3 plants of each type to compare them.Elsanta have always...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Sargan

Why are my seedlings dying

Just stock up with matches, Tinks It really does work!
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Emily Jones

Pomegranate pondering!

You're right, the past few springs have been quite warm and balmy! Not quite the same this year, sunny days followed by pretty chilly nights. Down to -1 some nights this week. Hoping this frosty...
    You're right, the past few springs have been quite warm and balmy! Not quite the same this year, sunny days followed by pretty chilly nights. Down to -1 some nights this week. Hoping this frosty spell will pass soon, but we are still pretty early in the year yet
    You're right, the past few springs have been quite warm and balmy! Not quite the same this year, sunny days followed by pretty chilly nights. Down to -1 some nights this week. Hoping this frosty spell will pass soon, but we are still pretty early...
    You're right, the past few springs have been quite warm and balmy! Not quite the same this year, sunny days followed by pretty chilly nights. Down to -1 some nights this week. Hoping this frosty...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Jordhandeson

Manure!!!!!!!!!!!! Help have I messed up

Setting out all the pallets of blocks and sand out yesterday save a bit of time today.I also had a bit of good luck as today my sister took pity on me with the size of the area I was sorting,...
    Setting out all the pallets of blocks and sand out yesterday save a bit of time today.I also had a bit of good luck as today my sister took pity on me with the size of the area I was sorting, and after her workout yesterday on the compactor, she decided I needed a hand, :biggrin: she was a big help...
    Setting out all the pallets of blocks and sand out yesterday save a bit of time today.I also had a bit of good luck as today my sister took pity on me with the size of the area I was sorting, and after her workout yesterday on the compactor,...
    Setting out all the pallets of blocks and sand out yesterday save a bit of time today.I also had a bit of good luck as today my sister took pity on me with the size of the area I was sorting,...
    20210323_152547.jpg 20210323_152553.jpg 20210323_152556.jpg 20210323_171510.jpg 20210323_153907.jpg 20210324_125547.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. ChilliPepper

What to do now with my onion and shallot seedling?

A weak feed might help but I think it has more to do with amount of daylight. They pick up quickly from now on.Without lights I don't think sowing earlier would make much difference.
    A weak feed might help but I think it has more to do with amount of daylight. They pick up quickly from now on.Without lights I don't think sowing earlier would make much difference.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Paul waterhouse

Asparagus second year

Well would you look at that. The little buggers are coming up all over the patch. The big one grew that much in 5 days. His mates are lagging behind a bit.
    Well would you look at that. The little buggers are coming up all over the patch. The big one grew that much in 5 days. His mates are lagging behind a bit.
    20201117_162445.jpg 20210329_120238.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. BathVine

Indoor Grapevine - Best Antifungal/Mildew Care?

Thanks again - I’ve heard of people spraying with diluted milk, so I’ll give that a go rather than a chemical.It’s hard to say whether the spores did any damage; as soon as I spotted them (the...
    Thanks again - I’ve heard of people spraying with diluted milk, so I’ll give that a go rather than a chemical.It’s hard to say whether the spores did any damage; as soon as I spotted them (the house was rented out so they could have been there for months) I just cut every shoot or small limb...
    Thanks again - I’ve heard of people spraying with diluted milk, so I’ll give that a go rather than a chemical.It’s hard to say whether the spores did any damage; as soon as I spotted them (the house was rented out so they could have been there...
    Thanks again - I’ve heard of people spraying with diluted milk, so I’ll give that a go rather than a chemical.It’s hard to say whether the spores did any damage; as soon as I spotted them (the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Graham B

Guerrilla gardening - fruit bushes/small trees/other

Cool, I'll give that a go. Ironically this is the first house (out of 5) where the garden isn't full of clay! I can try something similar with my loamy soil though.Re the strawberries, I was...
    Cool, I'll give that a go. Ironically this is the first house (out of 5) where the garden isn't full of clay! I can try something similar with my loamy soil though.Re the strawberries, I was planning on wild (alpine) strawberries, so there's not such an issue with larger bits of fruit getting...
    Cool, I'll give that a go. Ironically this is the first house (out of 5) where the garden isn't full of clay! I can try something similar with my loamy soil though.Re the strawberries, I was planning on wild (alpine) strawberries, so there's...
    Cool, I'll give that a go. Ironically this is the first house (out of 5) where the garden isn't full of clay! I can try something similar with my loamy soil though.Re the strawberries, I was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Emily Jones

Soft fruit bushes

@Black Dog Really intirgued by the choke berries. I've got a friend who loves to turn whatever he can into jam, and these might be a real winner for that. Plus..those bright orange leaves are so...
    @Black Dog Really intirgued by the choke berries. I've got a friend who loves to turn whatever he can into jam, and these might be a real winner for that. Plus..those bright orange leaves are so attractive. The only problem is that I may have some cross plot neighbours for drawing in the birds :biggrin:...
    @Black Dog Really intirgued by the choke berries. I've got a friend who loves to turn whatever he can into jam, and these might be a real winner for that. Plus..those bright orange leaves are so attractive. The only problem is that I may have...
    @Black Dog Really intirgued by the choke berries. I've got a friend who loves to turn whatever he can into jam, and these might be a real winner for that. Plus..those bright orange leaves are so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Nikos Koukos

Refreshing soil after winter

Wow this looks really neat and tidy. I wish my growing plot would look like that...But to be honest, for me it already looks awesome enough. Maybe mix a little compost into the soil, but I...
    Wow this looks really neat and tidy. I wish my growing plot would look like that...But to be honest, for me it already looks awesome enough. Maybe mix a little compost into the soil, but I would already start with some like radishes.During the end of year I always take the dried up...
    Wow this looks really neat and tidy. I wish my growing plot would look like that...But to be honest, for me it already looks awesome enough. Maybe mix a little compost into the soil, but I would already start with some like radishes.During...
    Wow this looks really neat and tidy. I wish my growing plot would look like that...But to be honest, for me it already looks awesome enough. Maybe mix a little compost into the soil, but I...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice