Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2021

@noisette47I've just realised that my aubergine Jackpot is described as a dwarf patio variety, or so called baby veg. Big mistake, or should that be Little mistake :wallbanging:
    @noisette47I've just realised that my aubergine Jackpot is described as a dwarf patio variety, or so called baby veg. Big mistake, or should that be Little mistake :wallbanging:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK
    Like x 3

Tomato Growing Thread 2021

Chempak do a seaweed plus tomato fertilizer (think this is the one I was looking at before) so might give it a whizz. If I buy it now I might even get to try it this year before the blight gets...
    Chempak do a seaweed plus tomato fertilizer (think this is the one I was looking at before) so might give it a whizz. If I buy it now I might even get to try it this year before the blight gets them lol
    Chempak do a seaweed plus tomato fertilizer (think this is the one I was looking at before) so might give it a whizz. If I buy it now I might even get to try it this year before the blight gets them lol
    Chempak do a seaweed plus tomato fertilizer (think this is the one I was looking at before) so might give it a whizz. If I buy it now I might even get to try it this year before the blight gets...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Potato growing 2021

Certainly Pete, Anya are a very very good alternative to PFA.I have grown them for about 6 years and never had a disappointing crop. They are great for making potato salad and don’t break up when...
    Certainly Pete, Anya are a very very good alternative to PFA.I have grown them for about 6 years and never had a disappointing crop. They are great for making potato salad and don’t break up when boiled.
    Certainly Pete, Anya are a very very good alternative to PFA.I have grown them for about 6 years and never had a disappointing crop. They are great for making potato salad and don’t break up when boiled.
    Certainly Pete, Anya are a very very good alternative to PFA.I have grown them for about 6 years and never had a disappointing crop. They are great for making potato salad and don’t break up when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK
    Like x 4

Chillies 2021

After the long hot spell, and at long last, I have a few chilis to harvest.1. Cayennes 2. Basket of Fire 3. Medussa 4. Red HabaneroThe best looking of the above is the Habaneros in my opinion....
    After the long hot spell, and at long last, I have a few chilis to harvest.1. Cayennes 2. Basket of Fire 3. Medussa 4. Red HabaneroThe best looking of the above is the Habaneros in my opinion. Here are a few pictures... Picture 1 - Red Habaneros Picture 2 - Red Habanero Picture 3 -...
    After the long hot spell, and at long last, I have a few chilis to harvest.1. Cayennes 2. Basket of Fire 3. Medussa 4. Red HabaneroThe best looking of the above is the Habaneros in my opinion. Here are a few pictures... Picture 1 - Red...
    After the long hot spell, and at long last, I have a few chilis to harvest.1. Cayennes 2. Basket of Fire 3. Medussa 4. Red HabaneroThe best looking of the above is the Habaneros in my opinion....
    upload_2021-1-4_22-19-46.jpeg P1500470.JPG D0EB1E64-EDA8-406C-B60E-6BD4672343DC.jpeg 57311059-522D-40DE-B083-67063881006F.jpeg 6ED939D5-E279-4108-8B15-3BE2E13AC5C6.jpeg IMG_20210129_101426072_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK

Giant Onions 2021

16" now, grown another 1" in a week, but there is 4 weeks left at most, then they stop growing.
    16" now, grown another 1" in a week, but there is 4 weeks left at most, then they stop growing.
    20210104_172845.jpg 20210321_152035.jpg 20210321_151929.jpg 20210513_112344.jpg 20210513_112330.jpg onionsandrew.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Steve R
    Like x 15

Sowing seeds too early.

The sticks
    The sticks
    The sticks
    The sticks
    IMG_20210522_200131946.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

GARDENERS DELIGHT SEED AND GERMINATION AND GROWING 2020

Sown Gardener's Delight 2005 & 2012 today :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  12.   » Normal Threads
  13. Jordhandeson

Manure!!!!!!!!!!!! Help have I messed up

Hello JWK here is the cauliflower variety as best I can make out as I have ripped off the top of the packet and looking back through my files they were first planted as seeds on the 26th of...
    Hello JWK here is the cauliflower variety as best I can make out as I have ripped off the top of the packet and looking back through my files they were first planted as seeds on the 26th of March.Hope this helpsCheers Jord :thumbsup:
    Hello JWK here is the cauliflower variety as best I can make out as I have ripped off the top of the packet and looking back through my files they were first planted as seeds on the 26th of March.Hope this helpsCheers Jord :thumbsup:
    Hello JWK here is the cauliflower variety as best I can make out as I have ripped off the top of the packet and looking back through my files they were first planted as seeds on the 26th of...
    20210323_152547.jpg 20210323_152553.jpg 20210323_152556.jpg 20210323_171510.jpg 20210323_153907.jpg 20210324_125547.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. IceColdRum

Passiflora incarnata?

Another update from my two passiflora incarnata:Slugs love them while they are young! Both where completely ravished by slugs, but managed to grow back with a little bit of help. A slug collar...
    Another update from my two passiflora incarnata:Slugs love them while they are young! Both where completely ravished by slugs, but managed to grow back with a little bit of help. A slug collar stopped the assault and after growing a bit the slugs seem to have lost interest.One plant has...
    Another update from my two passiflora incarnata:Slugs love them while they are young! Both where completely ravished by slugs, but managed to grow back with a little bit of help. A slug collar stopped the assault and after growing a bit the...
    Another update from my two passiflora incarnata:Slugs love them while they are young! Both where completely ravished by slugs, but managed to grow back with a little bit of help. A slug collar...
    P1250873.JPG IMG_20210330_164422.jpg IMG_20210330_164428.jpg IMG_20210406_184504.jpg IMG_20210419_164149.jpg IMG_20210728_174032.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Vicym

Cauliflower panic

I use a mild soap on beans to keep off greenfly, never thought to use it on cauliflower so worth a try. I think you should try and spray under your leaves as soap relies on contacting the bug's...
    I use a mild soap on beans to keep off greenfly, never thought to use it on cauliflower so worth a try. I think you should try and spray under your leaves as soap relies on contacting the bug's body to be effective.
    I use a mild soap on beans to keep off greenfly, never thought to use it on cauliflower so worth a try. I think you should try and spray under your leaves as soap relies on contacting the bug's body to be effective.
    I use a mild soap on beans to keep off greenfly, never thought to use it on cauliflower so worth a try. I think you should try and spray under your leaves as soap relies on contacting the bug's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. pete
    Informative x 3

Grape "Lakemont", Muscat bleu and Flame.

Well. I hope it works for you @Perki , that was a big move to make. I'm really not sure if it is a pest problem or a weather related problem. But whatever it is, up till now it hasn't affected the...
    Well. I hope it works for you @Perki , that was a big move to make. I'm really not sure if it is a pest problem or a weather related problem. But whatever it is, up till now it hasn't affected the other two vines.I have had some grapes off of the Lakemont and they were ok.
    Well. I hope it works for you @Perki , that was a big move to make. I'm really not sure if it is a pest problem or a weather related problem. But whatever it is, up till now it hasn't affected the other two vines.I have had some grapes off of...
    Well. I hope it works for you @Perki , that was a big move to make. I'm really not sure if it is a pest problem or a weather related problem. But whatever it is, up till now it hasn't affected the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Vicym

Scared for my courguettes

Hopefully nobody within that distance grows ornamentals. :fingers crossed: I don't know anyone in the village that does. :noidea:
    Hopefully nobody within that distance grows ornamentals. :fingers crossed: I don't know anyone in the village that does. :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jowo

Cutting back squash plants

Had a butternut squash last 9 months ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Selleri

How do cucumbers work? Newbie question

Only got the first female flower on my polytunnel Piccolo di Parigi Gherkin plants a couple of days ago
    Only got the first female flower on my polytunnel Piccolo di Parigi Gherkin plants a couple of days ago
    femalecucu.jpg femalecucu2.jpg malecucu.jpg kurkku3.jpg IMG_20210722_111505072_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK

Melon Growing Advice

Send them up here :) can motor my way through at least 2 a day, love melon. This is the biggest I have so far, ok no sniggering. Still pretty small but it is getting bigger. I live in hope.I am...
    Send them up here :) can motor my way through at least 2 a day, love melon. This is the biggest I have so far, ok no sniggering. Still pretty small but it is getting bigger. I live in hope.I am now starting to remove all the side shoots and any more females and males as have at least 3 females...
    Send them up here :) can motor my way through at least 2 a day, love melon. This is the biggest I have so far, ok no sniggering. Still pretty small but it is getting bigger. I live in hope.I am now starting to remove all the side shoots and any...
    Send them up here :) can motor my way through at least 2 a day, love melon. This is the biggest I have so far, ok no sniggering. Still pretty small but it is getting bigger. I live in hope.I am...
    20210619_193029.jpg 20210622_115153.jpg 20210622_114939.jpg 20210713_174108.jpg 20210716_150010.jpg 20210716_150947.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. BillyBumbleBeard

Yellow spots on Mini-Munch/Socrates Cucumbers?

I am not sure that's M-Virus :scratch: . Is it just one leaf or multiple leaves ? Other than the white dots the leaves look healthy , it looks more like a burn marking to me . Have you got anymore pictures...
    I am not sure that's M-Virus :scratch: . Is it just one leaf or multiple leaves ? Other than the white dots the leaves look healthy , it looks more like a burn marking to me . Have you got anymore pictures of the whole plant or plants
    I am not sure that's M-Virus :scratch: . Is it just one leaf or multiple leaves ? Other than the white dots the leaves look healthy , it looks more like a burn marking to me . Have you got anymore pictures of the whole plant or plants
    I am not sure that's M-Virus :scratch: . Is it just one leaf or multiple leaves ? Other than the white dots the leaves look healthy , it looks more like a burn marking to me . Have you got anymore pictures...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. JWK

Aubergine growing advice

Fruit should be very shiny. If it loses it's shine, it's past it. Use secateurs to snip the stem and take it by the fruit end. They've got vicious spines!
    Fruit should be very shiny. If it loses it's shine, it's past it. Use secateurs to snip the stem and take it by the fruit end. They've got vicious spines!
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. JWK

Tasteless raspberries

My black berries are a couple of weeks away. Not a cultivated variety but just a bed of brambles, even so, the fruit is fairly large and I usually end up with more than I can handle, was still...
    My black berries are a couple of weeks away. Not a cultivated variety but just a bed of brambles, even so, the fruit is fairly large and I usually end up with more than I can handle, was still making wine from last years back in March.
    My black berries are a couple of weeks away. Not a cultivated variety but just a bed of brambles, even so, the fruit is fairly large and I usually end up with more than I can handle, was still making wine from last years back in March.
    My black berries are a couple of weeks away. Not a cultivated variety but just a bed of brambles, even so, the fruit is fairly large and I usually end up with more than I can handle, was still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. dogsbody

Raised Beds

Thanks for the advice ricky101. The only crops that I'm really interested in at the moment are potatoes and onions though that may change. I have unlimited access to farmyard muck so I'll give it...
    Thanks for the advice ricky101. The only crops that I'm really interested in at the moment are potatoes and onions though that may change. I have unlimited access to farmyard muck so I'll give it a go next year and see what happens.
    Thanks for the advice ricky101. The only crops that I'm really interested in at the moment are potatoes and onions though that may change. I have unlimited access to farmyard muck so I'll give it a go next year and see what happens.
    Thanks for the advice ricky101. The only crops that I'm really interested in at the moment are potatoes and onions though that may change. I have unlimited access to farmyard muck so I'll give it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Vicym

Basil going yellow?

Not really, just water. I will give them a feed and bring them back inside.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. hailbopp

Issue with Garlic

Maybe I was a bit worried ( not that much as isn’t exactly life threatening!) for nothing as just lifted most of the crop.May god the bulbs have grown enormously since I last had a wee look. It...
    Maybe I was a bit worried ( not that much as isn’t exactly life threatening!) for nothing as just lifted most of the crop.May god the bulbs have grown enormously since I last had a wee look. It has been wet and then very very hot so presume that is the reason. Still don’t know if the thicker...
    Maybe I was a bit worried ( not that much as isn’t exactly life threatening!) for nothing as just lifted most of the crop.May god the bulbs have grown enormously since I last had a wee look. It has been wet and then very very hot so presume that...
    Maybe I was a bit worried ( not that much as isn’t exactly life threatening!) for nothing as just lifted most of the crop.May god the bulbs have grown enormously since I last had a wee look. It...
    IMG_20210702_142001302.jpg B9CD9C6E-469C-40FB-B877-48718BBFBAAC.jpeg 02A0F498-EACE-4DA4-9D0F-0FD082E75EE6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Victoria

Grow a Lemon Tree Quickly

I know citrus are not ericacaous plants, but I do believe they prefer soil slightly on acid side.Not sure the calcium in the eggshell is a good idea.
    I know citrus are not ericacaous plants, but I do believe they prefer soil slightly on acid side.Not sure the calcium in the eggshell is a good idea.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. MrsMajorhangover

Moving Sprouts

Well people have early varieties these days, but to me they were always a winter veg from around November to February, never used to start picking until after the first frost.
    Well people have early varieties these days, but to me they were always a winter veg from around November to February, never used to start picking until after the first frost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Jowo

Edemame advice

How do you mean, too early, most times plants that need longer warmer growing conditions need planting early.
    How do you mean, too early, most times plants that need longer warmer growing conditions need planting early.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. EmFlu

Chilli Plants Flower But Then Drop Off

Magnesium deficient? Spray some epsom salts on them and feed with some tomorite maybe ?
    Magnesium deficient? Spray some epsom salts on them and feed with some tomorite maybe ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Scrungee

Livingstone late season rhubarb

Rheum x hybridum 'Livingstone' (PBR) | rhubarb 'Livingstone'/RHS GardeningAnybody grow it?I don't eat Rhubarb, but Mrs Scrungee likes it and wants to carry on picking it which almost kills the...
    Rheum x hybridum 'Livingstone' (PBR) | rhubarb 'Livingstone'/RHS GardeningAnybody grow it?I don't eat Rhubarb, but Mrs Scrungee likes it and wants to carry on picking it which almost kills the plants some years. Saw this 'Livingstone' late season stuff and wondered if worth getting some for...
    Rheum x hybridum 'Livingstone' (PBR) | rhubarb 'Livingstone'/RHS GardeningAnybody grow it?I don't eat Rhubarb, but Mrs Scrungee likes it and wants to carry on picking it which almost kills the plants some years. Saw this 'Livingstone' late...
    Rheum x hybridum 'Livingstone' (PBR) | rhubarb 'Livingstone'/RHS GardeningAnybody grow it?I don't eat Rhubarb, but Mrs Scrungee likes it and wants to carry on picking it which almost kills the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Vicym

Why are they dying?

Your peas and spinach look better than mine, as usual my spinach is running to seed. My peas were only half the size compared to a normal year. The weather hasn't helped. I grow both these crops...
    Your peas and spinach look better than mine, as usual my spinach is running to seed. My peas were only half the size compared to a normal year. The weather hasn't helped. I grow both these crops in succession so I have later sowings that are looking better.You nip off the leaves of spinach to...
    Your peas and spinach look better than mine, as usual my spinach is running to seed. My peas were only half the size compared to a normal year. The weather hasn't helped. I grow both these crops in succession so I have later sowings that are...
    Your peas and spinach look better than mine, as usual my spinach is running to seed. My peas were only half the size compared to a normal year. The weather hasn't helped. I grow both these crops...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice