1. THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE 2 MINUTE SILENCE
    IN MEMORY OF ARMANDII

Armandii's chosen charity was Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) - donations in his memory are welcomed, paid directly to the charity. Please ask a member of Admin for further information.

Dismiss Notice
We have a very sad announcement to make - please see the thread in the link below:

Please Click Here

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. BFOSP

Potatoes in a bin

Everyone has their own way of growing potatoes.I prefer the all-in-one-go approach so no adding compost layer by layer.Here are tidbits that you might find useful for growing main crop...
    Everyone has their own way of growing potatoes.I prefer the all-in-one-go approach so no adding compost layer by layer.Here are tidbits that you might find useful for growing main crop potatoes:- Each eye on a chitted potato is cable of forming one plant; - Each plant produces on...
    Everyone has their own way of growing potatoes.I prefer the all-in-one-go approach so no adding compost layer by layer.Here are tidbits that you might find useful for growing main crop potatoes:- Each eye on a chitted potato is cable...
    Everyone has their own way of growing potatoes.I prefer the all-in-one-go approach so no adding compost layer by layer.Here are tidbits that you might find useful for growing main crop...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Black Dog
    Like x 3

Crops with the biggest "profit"

This is part of the rhubarb patch, at the beginning of the week, so I may be able to pull some in a week or two's time :)I need to weed it and compost. :blue thumb:
    This is part of the rhubarb patch, at the beginning of the week, so I may be able to pull some in a week or two's time :)I need to weed it and compost. :blue thumb:
    12.jpg P1210243.JPG P1210249.JPG P1210250.JPG P1500939.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sean c g

Rhubarb

Your welcome
    Your welcome
    Your welcome
    Your welcome
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Emily Jones

Rhubarb revival!

If it's a new rhubarb then better just leave it alone for a year and it will double its Harvest in the upcoming one.If it's an old and established obey there is no harm in digging it up, cutting...
    If it's a new rhubarb then better just leave it alone for a year and it will double its Harvest in the upcoming one.If it's an old and established obey there is no harm in digging it up, cutting it in half and replanting it in a new spot (and then letting it grow uninterrupted for two years)
    If it's a new rhubarb then better just leave it alone for a year and it will double its Harvest in the upcoming one.If it's an old and established obey there is no harm in digging it up, cutting it in half and replanting it in a new spot (and...
    If it's a new rhubarb then better just leave it alone for a year and it will double its Harvest in the upcoming one.If it's an old and established obey there is no harm in digging it up, cutting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Selleri

Globe artichoke seedlings question

I only ever grew these once and if I remember correctly they are pretty unstable plants even when planted out and full grown. Seem to remember them getting blown over very easily. I'd be careful...
    I only ever grew these once and if I remember correctly they are pretty unstable plants even when planted out and full grown. Seem to remember them getting blown over very easily. I'd be careful about burying the stems too deep, maybe some support would be a better idea.
    I only ever grew these once and if I remember correctly they are pretty unstable plants even when planted out and full grown. Seem to remember them getting blown over very easily. I'd be careful about burying the stems too deep, maybe some...
    I only ever grew these once and if I remember correctly they are pretty unstable plants even when planted out and full grown. Seem to remember them getting blown over very easily. I'd be careful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JR

First sowings in 2021

Thanks for the advice, I may keep going with them then. Pointed cabbage is one of my favourites to grow. Not only does it look rather impressive it's so tasty. I only grew 4 last year and I reckon...
    Thanks for the advice, I may keep going with them then. Pointed cabbage is one of my favourites to grow. Not only does it look rather impressive it's so tasty. I only grew 4 last year and I reckon I really have space for 8. During the summer we were eating homegrown cabbage once a week. Sautéed...
    Thanks for the advice, I may keep going with them then. Pointed cabbage is one of my favourites to grow. Not only does it look rather impressive it's so tasty. I only grew 4 last year and I reckon I really have space for 8. During the summer we...
    Thanks for the advice, I may keep going with them then. Pointed cabbage is one of my favourites to grow. Not only does it look rather impressive it's so tasty. I only grew 4 last year and I reckon...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Fredas

Horse compost

Parsnips and carrots (i like a roast parsnip or two) I'm not sure if bags will suffice. If you've got room in the raised bed I'd put them in there without the manure. I'd grow those in a deep...
    Parsnips and carrots (i like a roast parsnip or two) I'm not sure if bags will suffice. If you've got room in the raised bed I'd put them in there without the manure. I'd grow those in a deep loam with a nice dressing of blood fish and bone raked in, maybe a bit of homemade compost if available.
    Parsnips and carrots (i like a roast parsnip or two) I'm not sure if bags will suffice. If you've got room in the raised bed I'd put them in there without the manure. I'd grow those in a deep loam with a nice dressing of blood fish and bone...
    Parsnips and carrots (i like a roast parsnip or two) I'm not sure if bags will suffice. If you've got room in the raised bed I'd put them in there without the manure. I'd grow those in a deep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. FrancescaH

Cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets?

Cheers, wont be doing that again then :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Pushkin

What is meant by a low stem fruit tree?

Thanks Mike. I've bought a Low Stem Walnut tree the label says it's height will be between 125 and 150cm. I'm going to grow it in a 40cm pot at the moment.They also had apple, plum, pear and...
    Thanks Mike. I've bought a Low Stem Walnut tree the label says it's height will be between 125 and 150cm. I'm going to grow it in a 40cm pot at the moment.They also had apple, plum, pear and chestnut trees all low stem.
    Thanks Mike. I've bought a Low Stem Walnut tree the label says it's height will be between 125 and 150cm. I'm going to grow it in a 40cm pot at the moment.They also had apple, plum, pear and chestnut trees all low stem.
    Thanks Mike. I've bought a Low Stem Walnut tree the label says it's height will be between 125 and 150cm. I'm going to grow it in a 40cm pot at the moment.They also had apple, plum, pear and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. rustyroots

Beans in pots.

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear they did well. I ordered Purple Queen and Yellow Rocquencourt seeds last night. Both dwarf French bean. Rusty
    Thanks for the reply. Good to hear they did well. I ordered Purple Queen and Yellow Rocquencourt seeds last night. Both dwarf French bean. Rusty
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Sargan

When to start off Tomato seeds

Tnx .. I'll leave a while then
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ChilliPepper

My tomatoes are going bananas - help!

The post from @Chilllipepper was 3 year ago .
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. BillyBumbleBeard

An intro, and suggestions for 'normal' sized tomato varieties for 2021?

Ailsa craig i found to produce loads of fruit with no taste a complete waste of time,
    Ailsa craig i found to produce loads of fruit with no taste a complete waste of time,
    Ailsa craig[1].JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. BassFisher

Raised beds

If you have any stables local ask them for manure. If they have a big pile dig right into it to get to the well rotted stuff. I normal get mine off a local chap, who has 3 or 4 piles at differing...
    If you have any stables local ask them for manure. If they have a big pile dig right into it to get to the well rotted stuff. I normal get mine off a local chap, who has 3 or 4 piles at differing ages. The oldest pile is like compost and is great stuff. Unfortunately due to the current...
    If you have any stables local ask them for manure. If they have a big pile dig right into it to get to the well rotted stuff. I normal get mine off a local chap, who has 3 or 4 piles at differing ages. The oldest pile is like compost and is great...
    If you have any stables local ask them for manure. If they have a big pile dig right into it to get to the well rotted stuff. I normal get mine off a local chap, who has 3 or 4 piles at differing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Spruce

Tomato Santa (red variety) NOT ORANGE

just looked ...well spotted thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Scrungee

Wilko grow tubes

Have used the Vitax branded ones, expect they will all come from the same maker ?They can last for 3 months or so, though do need careful handling as they can get quiet soft the older they...
    Have used the Vitax branded ones, expect they will all come from the same maker ?They can last for 3 months or so, though do need careful handling as they can get quiet soft the older they become and the wetter you keep them.Placing them in one of these 24 cell trays helps keep them upright...
    Have used the Vitax branded ones, expect they will all come from the same maker ?They can last for 3 months or so, though do need careful handling as they can get quiet soft the older they become and the wetter you keep them.Placing them in...
    Have used the Vitax branded ones, expect they will all come from the same maker ?They can last for 3 months or so, though do need careful handling as they can get quiet soft the older they...
    000442.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Appleblossom31

Dwarf fruit trees

I did know about walnut trees trying to poison their surroundings. Also the leaves of oaks tend to make the ground sour when they rot.But in early 2020 I killed a dozen or so Rhododendron bushes...
    I did know about walnut trees trying to poison their surroundings. Also the leaves of oaks tend to make the ground sour when they rot.But in early 2020 I killed a dozen or so Rhododendron bushes which had grown man-hig. I then shredded them and scattered them around my whole garden. Probably...
    I did know about walnut trees trying to poison their surroundings. Also the leaves of oaks tend to make the ground sour when they rot.But in early 2020 I killed a dozen or so Rhododendron bushes which had grown man-hig. I then shredded them...
    I did know about walnut trees trying to poison their surroundings. Also the leaves of oaks tend to make the ground sour when they rot.But in early 2020 I killed a dozen or so Rhododendron bushes...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ARMANDII

TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2020

Have compiled a list based on the taste thread, so thanks for the tip.Sungold seems very popular so that will be one to aim for.:tomato:
    Have compiled a list based on the taste thread, so thanks for the tip.Sungold seems very popular so that will be one to aim for.:tomato:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Gizmo

Strawberrys on fence

Many thanks for your reply. The www has of different advice about xyz. I am concerned for rocco so I thought for the strawberry plants would be better higher up and it would be better if he did...
    Many thanks for your reply. The www has of different advice about xyz. I am concerned for rocco so I thought for the strawberry plants would be better higher up and it would be better if he did not wee on them :thanks:
    Many thanks for your reply. The www has of different advice about xyz. I am concerned for rocco so I thought for the strawberry plants would be better higher up and it would be better if he did not wee on them :thanks:
    Many thanks for your reply. The www has of different advice about xyz. I am concerned for rocco so I thought for the strawberry plants would be better higher up and it would be better if he did...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gary O'Neill

What are you Planning for 2021?

I'll take some pics in the summer, i grow fruit in the back garden.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice