1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. linlin

What's the matter with my garlic?

Thanks Dai - I'll leave them alone then.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. lazy-gardener

going to grow some taters!!!

Last year I sowed our earlies in pots on 21st March (= Good Friday this year) this was in a polytunnel, but we're a bit further north and colder, and they were moved outside once they had grown a...
    Last year I sowed our earlies in pots on 21st March (= Good Friday this year) this was in a polytunnel, but we're a bit further north and colder, and they were moved outside once they had grown a bit. First tatties were gathered on 21st May.Chitted v non-chitted? I'm like John and chit because...
    Last year I sowed our earlies in pots on 21st March (= Good Friday this year) this was in a polytunnel, but we're a bit further north and colder, and they were moved outside once they had grown a bit. First tatties were gathered on 21st...
    Last year I sowed our earlies in pots on 21st March (= Good Friday this year) this was in a polytunnel, but we're a bit further north and colder, and they were moved outside once they had grown a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. khampson

Growing Veg

Why not just buy some cheap plastic buckets and make drainage holes in the bottoms. I've just bought some from Wilcos at 69p each for my early potatoes, last season I used buckets for some late...
    Why not just buy some cheap plastic buckets and make drainage holes in the bottoms. I've just bought some from Wilcos at 69p each for my early potatoes, last season I used buckets for some late potatoes and we've just finished eating those. Growbags are no more than 6" deep and you can grow all...
    Why not just buy some cheap plastic buckets and make drainage holes in the bottoms. I've just bought some from Wilcos at 69p each for my early potatoes, last season I used buckets for some late potatoes and we've just finished eating those....
    Why not just buy some cheap plastic buckets and make drainage holes in the bottoms. I've just bought some from Wilcos at 69p each for my early potatoes, last season I used buckets for some late...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. beanie b12

Do rabbits eat asparagus?

Thanks all. not what i wanted to hear but I kind of expected it. liking this forum, I will no doubt be back for more advice soon XX
    Thanks all. not what i wanted to hear but I kind of expected it. liking this forum, I will no doubt be back for more advice soon XX
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Celia

are potatoes friendly?

Having just dug over the bed where the potatoes are going this year I was a little worried cos F-in-L has planted strawbwrries at the bottom end of the bed and is planning to put rhubarb in...
    Having just dug over the bed where the potatoes are going this year I was a little worried cos F-in-L has planted strawbwrries at the bottom end of the bed and is planning to put rhubarb in between the potatoes and strawberries. Will these grow together or are they fussy and spread disease to...
    Having just dug over the bed where the potatoes are going this year I was a little worried cos F-in-L has planted strawbwrries at the bottom end of the bed and is planning to put rhubarb in between the potatoes and strawberries. Will these grow...
    Having just dug over the bed where the potatoes are going this year I was a little worried cos F-in-L has planted strawbwrries at the bottom end of the bed and is planning to put rhubarb in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Victoria

Actinidia deliciosa (Kiwi Fruit)

Hi LoL I can't answer your question but when we were in New Zealand they were selling yellow Kiwi fruits which are, apparently, a newly bred version that are much sweeter than the green ones.
    Hi LoL I can't answer your question but when we were in New Zealand they were selling yellow Kiwi fruits which are, apparently, a newly bred version that are much sweeter than the green ones.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. golcarlilly

Planting fruit trees

Thanks, it is snowing today and very thick frost, will wait till weekend and try then!
    Thanks, it is snowing today and very thick frost, will wait till weekend and try then!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. lazy-gardener

lemon grass

l-g, you should have no problem getting plants from your local garden centre. They will be in the herb section. I personally would leave it until next month when the fresh stock should arrive.
    l-g, you should have no problem getting plants from your local garden centre. They will be in the herb section. I personally would leave it until next month when the fresh stock should arrive.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Blackthorn

Cucumbers

I didn't know that telegraph produced both pete, thanks. Now I know why I couldn't keep up with it!
    I didn't know that telegraph produced both pete, thanks. Now I know why I couldn't keep up with it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. rosietutu

Broad Beans

Unlike most other crops its not a bad thing to plant (legumes) peas, beans etc in the same spot time after time,its considered beneficial. You know they are said to fix nitrogen? planting in the...
    Unlike most other crops its not a bad thing to plant (legumes) peas, beans etc in the same spot time after time,its considered beneficial. You know they are said to fix nitrogen? planting in the same spot allows residual nitrogen to build up in the soil,thus benefiting the plants. Tomatoes can...
    Unlike most other crops its not a bad thing to plant (legumes) peas, beans etc in the same spot time after time,its considered beneficial. You know they are said to fix nitrogen? planting in the same spot allows residual nitrogen to build up in...
    Unlike most other crops its not a bad thing to plant (legumes) peas, beans etc in the same spot time after time,its considered beneficial. You know they are said to fix nitrogen? planting in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. glenw

soft fruit plants and veg seeds

Thanks for that info. I have to tell you that a few years back I bought a Camellia from Aldi. It was basically a twig with only 4 leaves on it and cost 99p.Its now enormous and absolutely...
    Thanks for that info. I have to tell you that a few years back I bought a Camellia from Aldi. It was basically a twig with only 4 leaves on it and cost 99p.Its now enormous and absolutely lovely in May when it flowers.Aldi is well worth a trip I think. :D
    Thanks for that info. I have to tell you that a few years back I bought a Camellia from Aldi. It was basically a twig with only 4 leaves on it and cost 99p.Its now enormous and absolutely lovely in May when it flowers.Aldi is well worth a...
    Thanks for that info. I have to tell you that a few years back I bought a Camellia from Aldi. It was basically a twig with only 4 leaves on it and cost 99p.Its now enormous and absolutely...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Blackthorn

Unusual Tomatoes

Don't worry. This is GC. We'll remind you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. David G

Grape

Probably three or four years Dave. Until you get anything worth while at least. The first few years need to be spent forming a good framework of stems, on which the fruiting stems will form...
    Probably three or four years Dave. Until you get anything worth while at least. The first few years need to be spent forming a good framework of stems, on which the fruiting stems will form each year. Pesume your looking to make your own wine.
    Probably three or four years Dave. Until you get anything worth while at least. The first few years need to be spent forming a good framework of stems, on which the fruiting stems will form each year. Pesume your looking to make your own wine.
    Probably three or four years Dave. Until you get anything worth while at least. The first few years need to be spent forming a good framework of stems, on which the fruiting stems will form...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Helofadigger

Any success with veg containers?

Last year I had good results from growing a few spuds in a spring loaded garden rubbish container that was a bit past its sell by date, so plenty of drainage holes in it.They are a bit bigger...
    Last year I had good results from growing a few spuds in a spring loaded garden rubbish container that was a bit past its sell by date, so plenty of drainage holes in it.They are a bit bigger than the average tub, so the spuds had plenty of room.Nik :cool:
    Last year I had good results from growing a few spuds in a spring loaded garden rubbish container that was a bit past its sell by date, so plenty of drainage holes in it.They are a bit bigger than the average tub, so the spuds had plenty of...
    Last year I had good results from growing a few spuds in a spring loaded garden rubbish container that was a bit past its sell by date, so plenty of drainage holes in it.They are a bit bigger...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. golfer

onion sets

sowed my french onion seeds 1week ago on kitchen windowsill.just coming through.in my greenhouse have put my shallots in modules to get rooted.also my red onion sets. will be growing all mine in...
    sowed my french onion seeds 1week ago on kitchen windowsill.just coming through.in my greenhouse have put my shallots in modules to get rooted.also my red onion sets. will be growing all mine in pots in garden,
    sowed my french onion seeds 1week ago on kitchen windowsill.just coming through.in my greenhouse have put my shallots in modules to get rooted.also my red onion sets. will be growing all mine in pots in garden,
    sowed my french onion seeds 1week ago on kitchen windowsill.just coming through.in my greenhouse have put my shallots in modules to get rooted.also my red onion sets. will be growing all mine in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. cajary

Transplanting Blueberries

Well, I didn't prune it and it's got little buds just forming at the tips. Looks like it's gonna be O.K. Thanks for the advice, guys.
    Well, I didn't prune it and it's got little buds just forming at the tips. Looks like it's gonna be O.K. Thanks for the advice, guys.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. David G

Early potatoes

Dave, go for it. If you don`t experiment you never learn. Plants have 2 chances, they either do or they don`t, but until you try you will never know.
    Dave, go for it. If you don`t experiment you never learn. Plants have 2 chances, they either do or they don`t, but until you try you will never know.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. garden_fiend

basil

[ 14. January 2008, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Paladin ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. cattwoman25

tomatoes

thanks for all your replys think im going to hang on till the end of feb just to be on the safe side
    thanks for all your replys think im going to hang on till the end of feb just to be on the safe side
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. prettypolly

Garlic

Polly, I had one of those plastic greenhouses a few years ago which blew over when we had a very bad windy day - I spread put some pieces of paving slab we had left over on the bottom shelf and...
    Polly, I had one of those plastic greenhouses a few years ago which blew over when we had a very bad windy day - I spread put some pieces of paving slab we had left over on the bottom shelf and that did the trick - stopped it toppling over!Alas the 'greenhouse' is no more (frosts eventually...
    Polly, I had one of those plastic greenhouses a few years ago which blew over when we had a very bad windy day - I spread put some pieces of paving slab we had left over on the bottom shelf and that did the trick - stopped it toppling over!Alas...
    Polly, I had one of those plastic greenhouses a few years ago which blew over when we had a very bad windy day - I spread put some pieces of paving slab we had left over on the bottom shelf and...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice