1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. David G

Sainsburys Tomatoes

Hi Liz Thanks for the info I will try them as cordon and see how I get on. I guess when you say grows true from seed means you get fruits??Thanks againDave
    Hi Liz Thanks for the info I will try them as cordon and see how I get on. I guess when you say grows true from seed means you get fruits??Thanks againDave
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sammyveggiesbmth

toms and cucumbers from seed

Living in the North-East of England, I've always found that sowing Tomato seed before the middle of April is not really worth the bother because the seedlings tend to get leggy due to the lack of...
    Living in the North-East of England, I've always found that sowing Tomato seed before the middle of April is not really worth the bother because the seedlings tend to get leggy due to the lack of daylight and any exposure to low temperatures checks their development. Even when the days are warm...
    Living in the North-East of England, I've always found that sowing Tomato seed before the middle of April is not really worth the bother because the seedlings tend to get leggy due to the lack of daylight and any exposure to low temperatures...
    Living in the North-East of England, I've always found that sowing Tomato seed before the middle of April is not really worth the bother because the seedlings tend to get leggy due to the lack of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Mickeylove

Courgettes

I sowed mine last month - F1 "one ball" and a new climbing one, the former is romping away like mad!
    I sowed mine last month - F1 "one ball" and a new climbing one, the former is romping away like mad!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Hyla arborea

Moving asparagus plants

Looks like just what I needed to know, Dave! Great stuff!! Digging's gonna be tough in our clay, but I reckon it could be worth it - even if I have to plant a new bed as well...
    Looks like just what I needed to know, Dave! Great stuff!! Digging's gonna be tough in our clay, but I reckon it could be worth it - even if I have to plant a new bed as well...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Mr Tickle

Loft insulation in veg. plot

Glass fibre insulation shouldn't cause a problem. Some of the horticultural fleeces and weed barriers are made of glass fibres and glass is an inert substance. I'd continue to use the ground and...
    Glass fibre insulation shouldn't cause a problem. Some of the horticultural fleeces and weed barriers are made of glass fibres and glass is an inert substance. I'd continue to use the ground and just dig out the stuff as and when you come across it. Mineral wool is used as a growing medium...
    Glass fibre insulation shouldn't cause a problem. Some of the horticultural fleeces and weed barriers are made of glass fibres and glass is an inert substance. I'd continue to use the ground and just dig out the stuff as and when you come across...
    Glass fibre insulation shouldn't cause a problem. Some of the horticultural fleeces and weed barriers are made of glass fibres and glass is an inert substance. I'd continue to use the ground and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. kasabian

Fruit trees

Try the supermarket, in Morrisons this morning they had apple trees "Lord Lambourne" on sale for �£4.99. Bare root but I reckon you can still just about get away with that.
    Try the supermarket, in Morrisons this morning they had apple trees "Lord Lambourne" on sale for �£4.99. Bare root but I reckon you can still just about get away with that.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Kandy

Peppers

At least I shall know what mine will look like in a few weeks time then.I have just counted them and I have seven at the moment.If they all germinate we shall be over-run with them :D :D
    At least I shall know what mine will look like in a few weeks time then.I have just counted them and I have seven at the moment.If they all germinate we shall be over-run with them :D :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. coco

carrots

I have a bath that I use for my strawberry bed, I drilled holes into it every few inches along its length for drainage and so far it is fine. If you are buying soil for it, you will need a fair...
    I have a bath that I use for my strawberry bed, I drilled holes into it every few inches along its length for drainage and so far it is fine. If you are buying soil for it, you will need a fair amount.
    I have a bath that I use for my strawberry bed, I drilled holes into it every few inches along its length for drainage and so far it is fine. If you are buying soil for it, you will need a fair amount.
    I have a bath that I use for my strawberry bed, I drilled holes into it every few inches along its length for drainage and so far it is fine. If you are buying soil for it, you will need a fair...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. sharon

Fennel

I have two types of fennel for two years and no problems with it. I use it for salads, when cooking fish and many other dishes. I cannot do without it now.
    I have two types of fennel for two years and no problems with it. I use it for salads, when cooking fish and many other dishes. I cannot do without it now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. monty

advacardo

I think you'll be okay, monty. Just not sure you'll get the fruit but you may have a lovely tree.Keep us posted!
    I think you'll be okay, monty. Just not sure you'll get the fruit but you may have a lovely tree.Keep us posted!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Scotkat

Mangetout

I am growing 3 types of lettuce, then bought (for some unknown reason) copy of Gardeners world mag, and there is damned free letuce seed with it!
    I am growing 3 types of lettuce, then bought (for some unknown reason) copy of Gardeners world mag, and there is damned free letuce seed with it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. sumo

pumpkins again!

its ok growing pumkins in containers provided you keep feeding and watering it.I would use plenty of tree bark so the plant is kept moist.
    its ok growing pumkins in containers provided you keep feeding and watering it.I would use plenty of tree bark so the plant is kept moist.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Essexgardens

Planting out Strawberries now

My strawberries looking good they are indoors in border of greenhouse so well protected from the birdies.
    My strawberries looking good they are indoors in border of greenhouse so well protected from the birdies.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. miraflores

cucumber seeds...price enquiry

There`s a man at allotments pays around a pound each for cucumber seeds!He does get marvellous crops though.
    There`s a man at allotments pays around a pound each for cucumber seeds!He does get marvellous crops though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. garden_fiend

swiss chard

HI guys, can you start Chard indoors and then transplant it? Or will that make it susceptible to "bolting". I think the leaves taste like spinach and the stems like asparagus. Then again, I...
    HI guys, can you start Chard indoors and then transplant it? Or will that make it susceptible to "bolting". I think the leaves taste like spinach and the stems like asparagus. Then again, I haven't got a brilliant sense of taste/smell
    HI guys, can you start Chard indoors and then transplant it? Or will that make it susceptible to "bolting". I think the leaves taste like spinach and the stems like asparagus. Then again, I haven't got a brilliant sense of taste/smell
    HI guys, can you start Chard indoors and then transplant it? Or will that make it susceptible to "bolting". I think the leaves taste like spinach and the stems like asparagus. Then again, I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. LooseLotty

Chilli fruit going brown?

Thanks Pete, I'll keep them going and see what happens. Fingers crossed!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. oktarine

Leeks - from Seed

Hi oktarine,they wanna be pencil thick and about 8in.high.Set them out in rows ,leaving about 6in between eack leek and a ft between rows.
    Hi oktarine,they wanna be pencil thick and about 8in.high.Set them out in rows ,leaving about 6in between eack leek and a ft between rows.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. gioia mia

Growing basil from seed

Stez, what a great idea! I hadn't realised that they needed pinching out, either - so I learnt two new things even before I've got out my of my jimmy jams
    Stez, what a great idea! I hadn't realised that they needed pinching out, either - so I learnt two new things even before I've got out my of my jimmy jams
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. sumo

pumpkins

Hi Sumo,sorry I missed this post.We had a holiday over on Man a few years ago,for two weeks.We drove and walked all over the Island.It was nice going up to the top of Snae Fell by electric...
    Hi Sumo,sorry I missed this post.We had a holiday over on Man a few years ago,for two weeks.We drove and walked all over the Island.It was nice going up to the top of Snae Fell by electric train.Mr K andy also went to the top of the Laxey Wheel,but because I don't like heights I stayed firmly...
    Hi Sumo,sorry I missed this post.We had a holiday over on Man a few years ago,for two weeks.We drove and walked all over the Island.It was nice going up to the top of Snae Fell by electric train.Mr K andy also went to the top of the Laxey...
    Hi Sumo,sorry I missed this post.We had a holiday over on Man a few years ago,for two weeks.We drove and walked all over the Island.It was nice going up to the top of Snae Fell by electric...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. samsoph

a couple of questions about my fruit bushes

Ive planted my blueberry in the ground. You have to make sure not to getr lime anywhere near it as this will kill it or so ive been told.
    Ive planted my blueberry in the ground. You have to make sure not to getr lime anywhere near it as this will kill it or so ive been told.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice