1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. clueless1

Turnip leaves

Just done a little bit of googling and the first article I read (link below) had me completely stunned. It seems turnip leaves are a superfood and we should all be eating it apparently.WHFoods:...
    Just done a little bit of googling and the first article I read (link below) had me completely stunned. It seems turnip leaves are a superfood and we should all be eating it apparently.WHFoods: Turnip greensI'll be growing loads next year. I've always been reluctant to grow the likes of...
    Just done a little bit of googling and the first article I read (link below) had me completely stunned. It seems turnip leaves are a superfood and we should all be eating it apparently.WHFoods: Turnip greensI'll be growing loads next year....
    Just done a little bit of googling and the first article I read (link below) had me completely stunned. It seems turnip leaves are a superfood and we should all be eating it apparently.WHFoods:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Welshman
    Like x 5

Rasberry canes

Its not a small shed, its a mini greenhouse that i took the doors off that i built last year. It still has the roof and sides, but an open front. The back is the garden fence.
    Its not a small shed, its a mini greenhouse that i took the doors off that i built last year. It still has the roof and sides, but an open front. The back is the garden fence.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Paul Blackburn

Seem to have a problem with my raspberries

Have enclosed a few photo's of the problem if that helps
    DSCN0229.JPG DSCN0230.JPG DSCN0231.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. MrJ
    Like x 5

Aubergine Bragging

Congratulations! Aubergines can be fussy but have certainly enjoyed this hot(ish) summer. Ours have also avoided being covered in red spider mite which have caused us problems in previous years....
    Congratulations! Aubergines can be fussy but have certainly enjoyed this hot(ish) summer. Ours have also avoided being covered in red spider mite which have caused us problems in previous years. Don't know why, we haven't taken any special precautions.The round stripy ones are outside...
    Congratulations! Aubergines can be fussy but have certainly enjoyed this hot(ish) summer. Ours have also avoided being covered in red spider mite which have caused us problems in previous years. Don't know why, we haven't taken any special...
    Congratulations! Aubergines can be fussy but have certainly enjoyed this hot(ish) summer. Ours have also avoided being covered in red spider mite which have caused us problems in previous years....
    aubergines.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Paul Blackburn

Cabbage Question

I always give brassicas a good helping of chicken manure pellets when preparing the ground and another feed with the same about half way through.Rusty
    I always give brassicas a good helping of chicken manure pellets when preparing the ground and another feed with the same about half way through.Rusty
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. userofloser

strawberries and runner beans

doesnt matter my baby brother picked everything then fed it to my rabbit. still got about 10 tomatoes left though. thanks everyone for your replies.
    doesnt matter my baby brother picked everything then fed it to my rabbit. still got about 10 tomatoes left though. thanks everyone for your replies.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. blue

Potatoes

Always a healthy discussion point this.I always work to a time scale before I even think of harvesting, totally regardless of flowers on foliage. Not all varieties will produce flowers.Earlies...
    Always a healthy discussion point this.I always work to a time scale before I even think of harvesting, totally regardless of flowers on foliage. Not all varieties will produce flowers.Earlies take about 100 days to mature, maincrop between 120 & 130 days.Works for me.And as Palustris...
    Always a healthy discussion point this.I always work to a time scale before I even think of harvesting, totally regardless of flowers on foliage. Not all varieties will produce flowers.Earlies take about 100 days to mature, maincrop between...
    Always a healthy discussion point this.I always work to a time scale before I even think of harvesting, totally regardless of flowers on foliage. Not all varieties will produce flowers.Earlies...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. oldwinegum

SOFT FRUIT BED (sorry did not mean to shout)

I have just dug out what I hoped to be a soft fruit bed which I intend to net ect. I obtained from my local garden centre three redcurrant, two blackcurrant and a gooseberry at the bargin price of...
    I have just dug out what I hoped to be a soft fruit bed which I intend to net ect. I obtained from my local garden centre three redcurrant, two blackcurrant and a gooseberry at the bargin price of �£5 the lot.(too good to refuse) however I had intended to include 6-8 raspberry canes. Looking...
    I have just dug out what I hoped to be a soft fruit bed which I intend to net ect. I obtained from my local garden centre three redcurrant, two blackcurrant and a gooseberry at the bargin price of �£5 the lot.(too good to refuse) however I had...
    I have just dug out what I hoped to be a soft fruit bed which I intend to net ect. I obtained from my local garden centre three redcurrant, two blackcurrant and a gooseberry at the bargin price of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. lindyco

Safe to plant winter veg?

LindyIf you can't protect all your veg, then I would give priority to the brassicas and the lettuce. The reason is that pigeons love green veg at any time of the year and will strip them to...
    LindyIf you can't protect all your veg, then I would give priority to the brassicas and the lettuce. The reason is that pigeons love green veg at any time of the year and will strip them to the ground. They might also have a go at the tops of your root veg so it's worth hanging a few CDs or...
    LindyIf you can't protect all your veg, then I would give priority to the brassicas and the lettuce. The reason is that pigeons love green veg at any time of the year and will strip them to the ground. They might also have a go at the tops...
    LindyIf you can't protect all your veg, then I would give priority to the brassicas and the lettuce. The reason is that pigeons love green veg at any time of the year and will strip them to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ricky101

Butter Beans

We always have several tins of butter beans in the cupboard. They are relatively cheap so i haven't tried growing them. They are a good addition to stews and curries etc.
    We always have several tins of butter beans in the cupboard. They are relatively cheap so i haven't tried growing them. They are a good addition to stews and curries etc.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ruffmeister

Hows your celery this year?

hey there peeps,This we we was wondering about celery, how has your been this year, our is rather thinner and smaller than we would have liked, but more tasty than last years, what has yours...
    hey there peeps,This we we was wondering about celery, how has your been this year, our is rather thinner and smaller than we would have liked, but more tasty than last years, what has yours been like? is it the weather ? or just a funny year, we think we wattered them more than last as well....
    hey there peeps,This we we was wondering about celery, how has your been this year, our is rather thinner and smaller than we would have liked, but more tasty than last years, what has yours been like? is it the weather ? or just a funny year,...
    hey there peeps,This we we was wondering about celery, how has your been this year, our is rather thinner and smaller than we would have liked, but more tasty than last years, what has yours...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Snowbaby

Apparently "no question is a stupid question"....

Thank you :) That's what I thought.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. shiney

Today's Crop

hi shiney,ohhhhh goody goody my very own plot, my supposed to be dwarf ones have grown massive, they must of put the wrong beans in the packet, the one with 8 beans grown in the hanging basket is...
    hi shiney,ohhhhh goody goody my very own plot, my supposed to be dwarf ones have grown massive, they must of put the wrong beans in the packet, the one with 8 beans grown in the hanging basket is not a bad size definately bigger than 18 inches and the other in a pot well thats definately not a...
    hi shiney,ohhhhh goody goody my very own plot, my supposed to be dwarf ones have grown massive, they must of put the wrong beans in the packet, the one with 8 beans grown in the hanging basket is not a bad size definately bigger than 18 inches...
    hi shiney,ohhhhh goody goody my very own plot, my supposed to be dwarf ones have grown massive, they must of put the wrong beans in the packet, the one with 8 beans grown in the hanging basket is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ChrisWales

Horse manure in veg planter

I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio...
    I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio when my 11 year old starts "farming" it :) If it settles a bit I'll try and add some soil
    I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio when my 11 year old starts "farming" it :) If it...
    I put in a series of drain holes along the bottom :blue thumb: I did see some worms as I was turning it over too. I didn't really want to brim it too much so as to keep the soil from spilling onto the patio...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mrs Bobs

Anyone planting their potatoes out today?

Dave, a tip for growing spuds in containers. When you plant the potatoes fill the pot up straight away, the plants will find their way to the surface and, more importantly, they are protected from...
    Dave, a tip for growing spuds in containers. When you plant the potatoes fill the pot up straight away, the plants will find their way to the surface and, more importantly, they are protected from spring frosts.
    Dave, a tip for growing spuds in containers. When you plant the potatoes fill the pot up straight away, the plants will find their way to the surface and, more importantly, they are protected from spring frosts.
    Dave, a tip for growing spuds in containers. When you plant the potatoes fill the pot up straight away, the plants will find their way to the surface and, more importantly, they are protected from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. mossym

Raspberries planted today question

hi all i prepared a raised bed to start growing fruit to ake homemade Jam, a time honored family tradition. i had planned on planting green manure and putting in raspberries in the autumn as i had...
    hi all i prepared a raised bed to start growing fruit to ake homemade Jam, a time honored family tradition. i had planned on planting green manure and putting in raspberries in the autumn as i had read was the normbut in the garden center last weekend they had small 1 foot raspberry canes,...
    hi all i prepared a raised bed to start growing fruit to ake homemade Jam, a time honored family tradition. i had planned on planting green manure and putting in raspberries in the autumn as i had read was the normbut in the garden center last...
    hi all i prepared a raised bed to start growing fruit to ake homemade Jam, a time honored family tradition. i had planned on planting green manure and putting in raspberries in the autumn as i had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jayendra

Aquaponics setup J

Awesome stuff :-) One day when I have more space I would love to do something like this. I hear Tilapia are the ideal fish for small-scale aquaculture as they are fast breeding/growing - but maybe...
    Awesome stuff :-) One day when I have more space I would love to do something like this. I hear Tilapia are the ideal fish for small-scale aquaculture as they are fast breeding/growing - but maybe not ideal for the UK as they need quite warm water I think.
    Awesome stuff :-) One day when I have more space I would love to do something like this. I hear Tilapia are the ideal fish for small-scale aquaculture as they are fast breeding/growing - but maybe not ideal for the UK as they need quite warm...
    Awesome stuff :-) One day when I have more space I would love to do something like this. I hear Tilapia are the ideal fish for small-scale aquaculture as they are fast breeding/growing - but maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. prepareathome

Preparing Ground for fruit

Next month I am taking delivery of the following1 x Blackberry 2 x Raspberry 2 x Redcurrant 2 x Blackcurrant 1 x Gooseberry 1 x Tayberry 12 x Strawberry 2 x Rhubarb plantsIs there...
    Next month I am taking delivery of the following1 x Blackberry 2 x Raspberry 2 x Redcurrant 2 x Blackcurrant 1 x Gooseberry 1 x Tayberry 12 x Strawberry 2 x Rhubarb plantsIs there any way i should prepare the ground for them.I will be planting them in my back garden which is...
    Next month I am taking delivery of the following1 x Blackberry 2 x Raspberry 2 x Redcurrant 2 x Blackcurrant 1 x Gooseberry 1 x Tayberry 12 x Strawberry 2 x Rhubarb plantsIs there any way i should prepare the ground for them.I...
    Next month I am taking delivery of the following1 x Blackberry 2 x Raspberry 2 x Redcurrant 2 x Blackcurrant 1 x Gooseberry 1 x Tayberry 12 x Strawberry 2 x Rhubarb plantsIs there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. MrsMajorhangover

Moving Sprouts

Well people have early varieties these days, but to me they were always a winter veg from around November to February, never used to start picking until after the first frost.
    Well people have early varieties these days, but to me they were always a winter veg from around November to February, never used to start picking until after the first frost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. auldreekie

Radishes

1st time growing radishes, is it normal for leaves and stems to flop all over the place?sometimes seems like leaves are too heavy for the stem to support. Radishes are growing well tho' and...
    1st time growing radishes, is it normal for leaves and stems to flop all over the place?sometimes seems like leaves are too heavy for the stem to support. Radishes are growing well tho' and leaves and stem are a nice shade of green looking healthy enough.
    1st time growing radishes, is it normal for leaves and stems to flop all over the place?sometimes seems like leaves are too heavy for the stem to support. Radishes are growing well tho' and leaves and stem are a nice shade of green looking...
    1st time growing radishes, is it normal for leaves and stems to flop all over the place?sometimes seems like leaves are too heavy for the stem to support. Radishes are growing well tho' and...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice