Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Scotkat

Sugar snap peas

Scotkat - Our blueberry is starting to show signs of growth so I suggest you get yours potted up fairly soon. Don't forget that you should use ericacious compost.
    Scotkat - Our blueberry is starting to show signs of growth so I suggest you get yours potted up fairly soon. Don't forget that you should use ericacious compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sawfish

unusual bean

I recieved this about them:Hi, we eat them as green beans the same as any others,I have popped a few soaked dry ones into soups etc and they are fine that way too but they are super as green...
    I recieved this about them:Hi, we eat them as green beans the same as any others,I have popped a few soaked dry ones into soups etc and they are fine that way too but they are super as green beans,and I like the beans when mature, shelled but not dried out. One point though, they don't seem...
    I recieved this about them:Hi, we eat them as green beans the same as any others,I have popped a few soaked dry ones into soups etc and they are fine that way too but they are super as green beans,and I like the beans when mature, shelled but...
    I recieved this about them:Hi, we eat them as green beans the same as any others,I have popped a few soaked dry ones into soups etc and they are fine that way too but they are super as green...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Bunslip

Broad Beans Rotting-Help!

Just a thought, Bunslip, were the seeds viable (in other words fresh) in the first place? If they were it's probably down to being too wet as Kandyfloss said coupled,maybe,with being too cold -...
    Just a thought, Bunslip, were the seeds viable (in other words fresh) in the first place? If they were it's probably down to being too wet as Kandyfloss said coupled,maybe,with being too cold - the cooler they're kept the less moisture they need.
    Just a thought, Bunslip, were the seeds viable (in other words fresh) in the first place? If they were it's probably down to being too wet as Kandyfloss said coupled,maybe,with being too cold - the cooler they're kept the less moisture they need.
    Just a thought, Bunslip, were the seeds viable (in other words fresh) in the first place? If they were it's probably down to being too wet as Kandyfloss said coupled,maybe,with being too cold -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. LCH

Sowing veg seed - pots or directly into the soil?

Never had a problem with any of those root crops, but don't put them on freshly manured ground as that causes root fanging. With carrots I get carrot fly round here so you can either grow fly...
    Never had a problem with any of those root crops, but don't put them on freshly manured ground as that causes root fanging. With carrots I get carrot fly round here so you can either grow fly resistant varieties or grow them under fleece. I would not sow too early - beetroot in particular likes...
    Never had a problem with any of those root crops, but don't put them on freshly manured ground as that causes root fanging. With carrots I get carrot fly round here so you can either grow fly resistant varieties or grow them under fleece. I would...
    Never had a problem with any of those root crops, but don't put them on freshly manured ground as that causes root fanging. With carrots I get carrot fly round here so you can either grow fly...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. weekend gardener

kwi fruit

It certainly will climb up for miles, Marge! We had ours in a container as I wanted to bring it with me when we moved, and it sneakily climbed up over the breidge, the shed, and across the grape...
    It certainly will climb up for miles, Marge! We had ours in a container as I wanted to bring it with me when we moved, and it sneakily climbed up over the breidge, the shed, and across the grape vine, entangling itself as it went :rolleyes:And it didn't fruit..... - we got a self-fertile...
    It certainly will climb up for miles, Marge! We had ours in a container as I wanted to bring it with me when we moved, and it sneakily climbed up over the breidge, the shed, and across the grape vine, entangling itself as it went :rolleyes: ...
    It certainly will climb up for miles, Marge! We had ours in a container as I wanted to bring it with me when we moved, and it sneakily climbed up over the breidge, the shed, and across the grape...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl

Cage

I have homemade wire hoops that i either use netting or polythene on, depending on the need. I have a large straw plot, 400 plants that i drape net over a system of posts and wire. I got the net...
    I have homemade wire hoops that i either use netting or polythene on, depending on the need. I have a large straw plot, 400 plants that i drape net over a system of posts and wire. I got the net from a farmer who used it to drape over bales of silage to keep the birds off, but it was stretched...
    I have homemade wire hoops that i either use netting or polythene on, depending on the need. I have a large straw plot, 400 plants that i drape net over a system of posts and wire. I got the net from a farmer who used it to drape over bales of...
    I have homemade wire hoops that i either use netting or polythene on, depending on the need. I have a large straw plot, 400 plants that i drape net over a system of posts and wire. I got the net...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. daveyp

spuds(again!)

At that price what have you got to lose?
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Markr

Onion (grey mould)

ok thanks, im stuck with it because i grow on an allotment.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Herb

Small Swedes

I have never come across Swedes getting woody. They get big but that is what swedes do. They grow a long time and get big. I always think of them as the ideal field crop. They seem to do best when...
    I have never come across Swedes getting woody. They get big but that is what swedes do. They grow a long time and get big. I always think of them as the ideal field crop. They seem to do best when there is plenty of room and good air circulation, so they don't mind a breezy spoT. Not like...
    I have never come across Swedes getting woody. They get big but that is what swedes do. They grow a long time and get big. I always think of them as the ideal field crop. They seem to do best when there is plenty of room and good air circulation,...
    I have never come across Swedes getting woody. They get big but that is what swedes do. They grow a long time and get big. I always think of them as the ideal field crop. They seem to do best when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wiseowl

Filthy Veg

Dendrobium, I used to be the plant area manager of a well known garden centre here in Wales and I used to very often visit our suppliers, many of which used to supply national multiples. And I was...
    Dendrobium, I used to be the plant area manager of a well known garden centre here in Wales and I used to very often visit our suppliers, many of which used to supply national multiples. And I was very often told that these companies, (the likes of B&Q and Homebase) would tell the nurseries "...
    Dendrobium, I used to be the plant area manager of a well known garden centre here in Wales and I used to very often visit our suppliers, many of which used to supply national multiples. And I was very often told that these companies, (the likes...
    Dendrobium, I used to be the plant area manager of a well known garden centre here in Wales and I used to very often visit our suppliers, many of which used to supply national multiples. And I was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Bunslip

Veg patch :permission granted

a lovely tepee of golden leaved sunbright runner beans would make a lovely centrepiece or purple podded peas.
    a lovely tepee of golden leaved sunbright runner beans would make a lovely centrepiece or purple podded peas.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. oldwinegum

Butternut squash

Thanks for that Shiney, it shows that the mods advice, to check previous posts should be followed. Sorry mod will try to do better. Nic. You are welcome to the excess as long as Cambridgshire do...
    Thanks for that Shiney, it shows that the mods advice, to check previous posts should be followed. Sorry mod will try to do better. Nic. You are welcome to the excess as long as Cambridgshire do not charge import tax. ttfn
    Thanks for that Shiney, it shows that the mods advice, to check previous posts should be followed. Sorry mod will try to do better. Nic. You are welcome to the excess as long as Cambridgshire do not charge import tax. ttfn
    Thanks for that Shiney, it shows that the mods advice, to check previous posts should be followed. Sorry mod will try to do better. Nic. You are welcome to the excess as long as Cambridgshire do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. sawfish

potato, early, second early etc etc

Azadaman, and Timecharger - following on the shop-bought spud line..... if you're doing it in a container, you avoid that possible problem, don't you? After all, it's fresh compost every time. I...
    Azadaman, and Timecharger - following on the shop-bought spud line..... if you're doing it in a container, you avoid that possible problem, don't you? After all, it's fresh compost every time. I always spread my used compost over the rest of the garden, so it's unlikely that any disease would...
    Azadaman, and Timecharger - following on the shop-bought spud line..... if you're doing it in a container, you avoid that possible problem, don't you? After all, it's fresh compost every time. I always spread my used compost over the rest of...
    Azadaman, and Timecharger - following on the shop-bought spud line..... if you're doing it in a container, you avoid that possible problem, don't you? After all, it's fresh compost every time. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. badsal72

cheap fruit trees

I did pot up my cheap trees. And yesterday they were planted in the ground. I staked them as the rootball on them is not very big and probably fragile. The trees are starting to bud, I am hoping...
    I did pot up my cheap trees. And yesterday they were planted in the ground. I staked them as the rootball on them is not very big and probably fragile. The trees are starting to bud, I am hoping this cold weather puts a stop on that for a while so the rootball has a better chance of getting...
    I did pot up my cheap trees. And yesterday they were planted in the ground. I staked them as the rootball on them is not very big and probably fragile. The trees are starting to bud, I am hoping this cold weather puts a stop on that for a while...
    I did pot up my cheap trees. And yesterday they were planted in the ground. I staked them as the rootball on them is not very big and probably fragile. The trees are starting to bud, I am hoping...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. oktarine

Rhubarb Propogation

good stuff oktarine - I have a similar attitude (half of me), but also like instant results (the other half)!
    good stuff oktarine - I have a similar attitude (half of me), but also like instant results (the other half)!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. sanuka

Position of raspberries

Hi Sanuka - I wouldn't call raspberry bushes particularely decorative, especially when not trimmed a lot. They do look nice during those few weeks when they have fruits. I agree that it is a good...
    Hi Sanuka - I wouldn't call raspberry bushes particularely decorative, especially when not trimmed a lot. They do look nice during those few weeks when they have fruits. I agree that it is a good idea to be able to access the plant from two sides, so you can reach every single raspberry! I...
    Hi Sanuka - I wouldn't call raspberry bushes particularely decorative, especially when not trimmed a lot. They do look nice during those few weeks when they have fruits. I agree that it is a good idea to be able to access the plant from two...
    Hi Sanuka - I wouldn't call raspberry bushes particularely decorative, especially when not trimmed a lot. They do look nice during those few weeks when they have fruits. I agree that it is a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. timecharger
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. elainefiz

Perpetual Sinach

MIL is going to be growing some of that this year - looks like she'll be doing it all her days...... :rolleyes: :DWe'd better get to like it!
    MIL is going to be growing some of that this year - looks like she'll be doing it all her days...... :rolleyes: :DWe'd better get to like it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Scotkat

Courgette Tristar &Webbs Wonderful Lettuce

Got 16 seeds out of the pkt they are now sown.Come in for a spot of lunch shall go out after and sow some lettuce seeds.
    Got 16 seeds out of the pkt they are now sown.Come in for a spot of lunch shall go out after and sow some lettuce seeds.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Time

melon seeds

Try here: http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Melon/Melon.htm The Gardener's Almanac can usually come up with some answers ;)
    Try here: http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Melon/Melon.htm The Gardener's Almanac can usually come up with some answers ;)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice