1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. suthbarnes634

Eradication of Horseradish plants

Hi suthbarnes634,While I don't have any specific experience of Horseradish, Blackthorn is right about keeping on top of it. Any vigorous perrennial weed that can regrow from a fragment of root...
    Hi suthbarnes634,While I don't have any specific experience of Horseradish, Blackthorn is right about keeping on top of it. Any vigorous perrennial weed that can regrow from a fragment of root can be really hard to conquer. Every day that goes by with green growth above ground is adding...
    Hi suthbarnes634,While I don't have any specific experience of Horseradish, Blackthorn is right about keeping on top of it. Any vigorous perrennial weed that can regrow from a fragment of root can be really hard to conquer. Every day that goes...
    Hi suthbarnes634,While I don't have any specific experience of Horseradish, Blackthorn is right about keeping on top of it. Any vigorous perrennial weed that can regrow from a fragment of root...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Dillydo

Spuds in Buckets

I did maincrop spuds last year in old compost bags. They were all right, I planted them later than others and had a reasonable crop late october. Which I had the last lot of this week. I will...
    I did maincrop spuds last year in old compost bags. They were all right, I planted them later than others and had a reasonable crop late october. Which I had the last lot of this week. I will plant more this year to see me through the whole of winter.
    I did maincrop spuds last year in old compost bags. They were all right, I planted them later than others and had a reasonable crop late october. Which I had the last lot of this week. I will plant more this year to see me through the whole of...
    I did maincrop spuds last year in old compost bags. They were all right, I planted them later than others and had a reasonable crop late october. Which I had the last lot of this week. I will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Webmaster

What Pumpkin variety ???

JJordie sent me some seed last year, I think they were "hundredweight", grew quite well, but I allowed two per plant. Think I should only have allowed one.
    JJordie sent me some seed last year, I think they were "hundredweight", grew quite well, but I allowed two per plant. Think I should only have allowed one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Daisies

storing spuds

we just eat them!
    we just eat them!
    we just eat them!
    we just eat them!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Blackthorn

Best Cucumber?

Opps, Sorry completly wrong reply in the wrong post.... My apoligises.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Karen at the coast

Potato Barrel & ideas for a kitchen garden

I think Gardeners world mag are doing a special offer on spuds and containers in January's copy, Like a buy one set get another set free.
    I think Gardeners world mag are doing a special offer on spuds and containers in January's copy, Like a buy one set get another set free.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Daisies

storage of spuds

I did a bit of an experiment with my maincrop spuds the winter before last, i left them in the ground clamped up. they lasted till the end of feb!!! i only had a couple with small sprouts(end of...
    I did a bit of an experiment with my maincrop spuds the winter before last, i left them in the ground clamped up. they lasted till the end of feb!!! i only had a couple with small sprouts(end of the row) and a couple that the slugs got. overall they kept in perfect condition i didnt do it...
    I did a bit of an experiment with my maincrop spuds the winter before last, i left them in the ground clamped up. they lasted till the end of feb!!! i only had a couple with small sprouts(end of the row) and a couple that the slugs got. overall...
    I did a bit of an experiment with my maincrop spuds the winter before last, i left them in the ground clamped up. they lasted till the end of feb!!! i only had a couple with small sprouts(end of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. josephine

seed potatoes

Hi Josephine, I have purchased an early variety called "Orla" they are organic so I am hoping that they are as good as the label says
    Hi Josephine, I have purchased an early variety called "Orla" they are organic so I am hoping that they are as good as the label says
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. barbaraanne

Unbunging my fountain

I am even later (just joined)a well known pump maker has detachable "filter wings" on their fountain pumps. The idea is you can remove these wings connect them to an extension hose and connect...
    I am even later (just joined)a well known pump maker has detachable "filter wings" on their fountain pumps. The idea is you can remove these wings connect them to an extension hose and connect the hose to the inlet of the pump. not only does it give a bigger surface area, you can put the...
    I am even later (just joined)a well known pump maker has detachable "filter wings" on their fountain pumps. The idea is you can remove these wings connect them to an extension hose and connect the hose to the inlet of the pump. not only does...
    I am even later (just joined)a well known pump maker has detachable "filter wings" on their fountain pumps. The idea is you can remove these wings connect them to an extension hose and connect...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Andrew s

Brussel sprouts

When I first got an allotment i got the book "Growing Vegetables" by Tony Biggs. It is a paperback and still available. Excellent and no nonsense book. Just starting back into vegetable growing...
    When I first got an allotment i got the book "Growing Vegetables" by Tony Biggs. It is a paperback and still available. Excellent and no nonsense book. Just starting back into vegetable growing after a gap of about 12 years and have just read it again cover to cover.
    When I first got an allotment i got the book "Growing Vegetables" by Tony Biggs. It is a paperback and still available. Excellent and no nonsense book. Just starting back into vegetable growing after a gap of about 12 years and have just read it...
    When I first got an allotment i got the book "Growing Vegetables" by Tony Biggs. It is a paperback and still available. Excellent and no nonsense book. Just starting back into vegetable growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. diviy

veg on a north facing wall

I used to have a north facing allotment here in Cwmbran, and I would say, try whatever you fancy and see what happens. I grew it all, brassicas, spuds, root veg, asparagus, soft fruit, peas,...
    I used to have a north facing allotment here in Cwmbran, and I would say, try whatever you fancy and see what happens. I grew it all, brassicas, spuds, root veg, asparagus, soft fruit, peas, beans (broad, french and runners ). Even salad crops. If you don`t try you don`t know. David.
    I used to have a north facing allotment here in Cwmbran, and I would say, try whatever you fancy and see what happens. I grew it all, brassicas, spuds, root veg, asparagus, soft fruit, peas, beans (broad, french and runners ). Even salad crops....
    I used to have a north facing allotment here in Cwmbran, and I would say, try whatever you fancy and see what happens. I grew it all, brassicas, spuds, root veg, asparagus, soft fruit, peas,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. josephine

Kidney beans

Thanks supersprout,good link, so much to learn. Any hints about red kidney beans,do i soak them first or just sow them in pots?. Thanks again.
    Thanks supersprout,good link, so much to learn. Any hints about red kidney beans,do i soak them first or just sow them in pots?. Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. boygardener

sowing beetroot

ok thanks for thatkind regards boygardener
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JEN.K

Moving Current bushes

Take some cuttings from the bushes and place into a slit trench. They will root next year and will be insurance against losses when moving the bushes
    Take some cuttings from the bushes and place into a slit trench. They will root next year and will be insurance against losses when moving the bushes
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. KevinO

Sowing veg. in January

Just found the Tuckers Seeds website and their prices are very good. They also offer quite a lot of organic seeds. http://www.tuckers-seeds.co.uk/
    Just found the Tuckers Seeds website and their prices are very good. They also offer quite a lot of organic seeds. http://www.tuckers-seeds.co.uk/
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. sparkle

challottes

Next month. If you grow much in the way of veg i would get a book. I have used one, which i think is still available "Growing Vegetables by Tony Biggs. Nice and straight forward and no nonsense....
    Next month. If you grow much in the way of veg i would get a book. I have used one, which i think is still available "Growing Vegetables by Tony Biggs. Nice and straight forward and no nonsense. It was like my bible when i had my allotment.
    Next month. If you grow much in the way of veg i would get a book. I have used one, which i think is still available "Growing Vegetables by Tony Biggs. Nice and straight forward and no nonsense. It was like my bible when i had my allotment.
    Next month. If you grow much in the way of veg i would get a book. I have used one, which i think is still available "Growing Vegetables by Tony Biggs. Nice and straight forward and no nonsense....
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Stokie

Garlic

We havn't had any cold here yet so I hope the garlic's going to be ok! Mine's not come up yet and I planted it at the end of october.
    We havn't had any cold here yet so I hope the garlic's going to be ok! Mine's not come up yet and I planted it at the end of october.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Scotkat

Sweet Potatoe

I meant to try them last year, I think we had the same discussion! Pete grew some supermarket ones and did get a crop, but I think the T&M ones are a better bet for our...
    I meant to try them last year, I think we had the same discussion! Pete grew some supermarket ones and did get a crop, but I think the T&M ones are a better bet for our climate. http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000159#000000 Must try them this year, I...
    I meant to try them last year, I think we had the same discussion! Pete grew some supermarket ones and did get a crop, but I think the T&M ones are a better bet for our...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Stephen in Wroughton

Apple - Charles Ross - good idea?

Charles Ross should be a good variety to use with Worcester Pearmain, they are in the same pollination group. A good top fruit supplier is Deacon's of the Isle of...
    Charles Ross should be a good variety to use with Worcester Pearmain, they are in the same pollination group. A good top fruit supplier is Deacon's of the Isle of wight. http://www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/home/ Personally I would go for a younger tree. They are soon cropping and a lot of...
    Charles Ross should be a good variety to use with Worcester Pearmain, they are in the same pollination group. A good top fruit supplier is Deacon's of the Isle of wight. http://www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/home/ Personally I would go for a...
    Charles Ross should be a good variety to use with Worcester Pearmain, they are in the same pollination group. A good top fruit supplier is Deacon's of the Isle of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. crowley

Turnip purple top milan

crowley,if your turnip tastes bitter add a teespoon of sugar before you mash it.
    crowley,if your turnip tastes bitter add a teespoon of sugar before you mash it.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice