1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. David_Schmavid

beetroot, swedes, autumn plant, lettuce

There is nothing you can do now to stop your swedes from bolting, just keep nipping off the flowers/buds as soon as possible. Its the cold weather that makes them bolt, nothing to do with...
    There is nothing you can do now to stop your swedes from bolting, just keep nipping off the flowers/buds as soon as possible. Its the cold weather that makes them bolt, nothing to do with pollination. You might be OK with your beetroot, all crops vary.... lettuces ... have a 5-day period...
    There is nothing you can do now to stop your swedes from bolting, just keep nipping off the flowers/buds as soon as possible. Its the cold weather that makes them bolt, nothing to do with pollination. You might be OK with your beetroot, all crops...
    There is nothing you can do now to stop your swedes from bolting, just keep nipping off the flowers/buds as soon as possible. Its the cold weather that makes them bolt, nothing to do with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. edwardtheconfessor

Beetroot, beans, parsnips, carrots, capascums and sweet corn

People get carried away ... they go to the garden centre and buy seeds of this and seeds of that ... which is why I said to stick to things that you like. We do get messages on here "I have...
    People get carried away ... they go to the garden centre and buy seeds of this and seeds of that ... which is why I said to stick to things that you like. We do get messages on here "I have problem X with plant Y ... and I don't even like it" - I kid you not! There are loads of varieties,...
    People get carried away ... they go to the garden centre and buy seeds of this and seeds of that ... which is why I said to stick to things that you like. We do get messages on here "I have problem X with plant Y ... and I don't even like it" - I...
    People get carried away ... they go to the garden centre and buy seeds of this and seeds of that ... which is why I said to stick to things that you like. We do get messages on here "I have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. TheMadHedger

Beetroot seeds - are they always so erratic to germinate?

Oh, I can let you have some cuttings.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. jjordie

Beetroot seeds

That`s what I meant ,It highlights words you know are correct
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Veg-and-flower-man

Beetroot seedlings......?

Hi Kandy, yes took a closer look at mine and the stems are actually red although the leaves are green with a red tinge around the outside. But having said that getting back to the original...
    Hi Kandy, yes took a closer look at mine and the stems are actually red although the leaves are green with a red tinge around the outside. But having said that getting back to the original question they should be fairly obvious amongs weed seedlings.
    Hi Kandy, yes took a closer look at mine and the stems are actually red although the leaves are green with a red tinge around the outside. But having said that getting back to the original question they should be fairly obvious amongs weed...
    Hi Kandy, yes took a closer look at mine and the stems are actually red although the leaves are green with a red tinge around the outside. But having said that getting back to the original...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Denton Dave

Beetroot seedlings

Fingers crossed, mine seem to be untouched and they've been in about 10 days.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Ramshackle

Beetroot question.

I.figured it out last night when I inspected a leaf close enough for it to split 10 maggots out like a crazy spaghetti factory. Little suckers got slung and the rest got pressed a'tween finger and...
    I.figured it out last night when I inspected a leaf close enough for it to split 10 maggots out like a crazy spaghetti factory. Little suckers got slung and the rest got pressed a'tween finger and thumb once I discovered their weakness. They have booger all leaves really, now. Hopes up. I think...
    I.figured it out last night when I inspected a leaf close enough for it to split 10 maggots out like a crazy spaghetti factory. Little suckers got slung and the rest got pressed a'tween finger and thumb once I discovered their weakness. They have...
    I.figured it out last night when I inspected a leaf close enough for it to split 10 maggots out like a crazy spaghetti factory. Little suckers got slung and the rest got pressed a'tween finger and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. firsttimer

Beetroot problem

Well its not exactly a beetroot problem more like neighbours cat keeps digging up me beetroot seedlings i have in a 6in trough, woke to find large mound of compost and seedlings everywhere, if i...
    Well its not exactly a beetroot problem more like neighbours cat keeps digging up me beetroot seedlings i have in a 6in trough, woke to find large mound of compost and seedlings everywhere, if i replant these seedlings will they grow or is it just best to start again. The annoying thing is my...
    Well its not exactly a beetroot problem more like neighbours cat keeps digging up me beetroot seedlings i have in a 6in trough, woke to find large mound of compost and seedlings everywhere, if i replant these seedlings will they grow or is it...
    Well its not exactly a beetroot problem more like neighbours cat keeps digging up me beetroot seedlings i have in a 6in trough, woke to find large mound of compost and seedlings everywhere, if i...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. boygardener

Beetroot problem

Some have a longer growing season than others I guess. Were they both sown at the same time? As the roots reach maturity the plants stop growing and the leaves tend to look slightly old and...
    Some have a longer growing season than others I guess. Were they both sown at the same time? As the roots reach maturity the plants stop growing and the leaves tend to look slightly old and reddish, they are a good deep green colour when young and vigourous. The root stores the food for next...
    Some have a longer growing season than others I guess. Were they both sown at the same time? As the roots reach maturity the plants stop growing and the leaves tend to look slightly old and reddish, they are a good deep green colour when young...
    Some have a longer growing season than others I guess. Were they both sown at the same time? As the roots reach maturity the plants stop growing and the leaves tend to look slightly old and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. redfeathered

Beetroot issues

Ohh okay, I think I'll have to wait a few more weeks as I kept mine indoors for a while.. but when you mentioned roasting them that sounded really good ... I think I have my mind set on what I...
    Ohh okay, I think I'll have to wait a few more weeks as I kept mine indoors for a while.. but when you mentioned roasting them that sounded really good ... I think I have my mind set on what I should do
    Ohh okay, I think I'll have to wait a few more weeks as I kept mine indoors for a while.. but when you mentioned roasting them that sounded really good ... I think I have my mind set on what I should do
    Ohh okay, I think I'll have to wait a few more weeks as I kept mine indoors for a while.. but when you mentioned roasting them that sounded really good ... I think I have my mind set on what I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. leeski

Beetroot in containers

yes you can grow beetroot in containers. Plant them 7" - 8" apart.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. silu

Beetroot Chutney

I will confess that I haven't tried this particular recipe as (embarrassingly) I don't much like beetroot but have always found this website's recipes for chutneys and preserves reliable:Beetroot...
    I will confess that I haven't tried this particular recipe as (embarrassingly) I don't much like beetroot but have always found this website's recipes for chutneys and preserves reliable:Beetroot Chutney Recipe - Allotment Garden RecipesI would use up the vinegar too, soaking any dried fruit...
    I will confess that I haven't tried this particular recipe as (embarrassingly) I don't much like beetroot but have always found this website's recipes for chutneys and preserves reliable:Beetroot Chutney Recipe - Allotment Garden RecipesI would...
    I will confess that I haven't tried this particular recipe as (embarrassingly) I don't much like beetroot but have always found this website's recipes for chutneys and preserves reliable:Beetroot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. FANCY

beetroot and carrots

My beetroot and carrots on the allotment planted about 4 weeks ago
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. WillieBee

Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"

Pickled beetroot ,yes please love it.Also beetroot steaks roasted (boiled beetroot,them cut into steaks coated in breadcrumbs ,ooooooooo. Beetroot also makes a very good red wine with ginger.
    Pickled beetroot ,yes please love it.Also beetroot steaks roasted (boiled beetroot,them cut into steaks coated in breadcrumbs ,ooooooooo. Beetroot also makes a very good red wine with ginger.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

Beetroot - when to harvest?

Harvest them at ANYtime! bite size or whoppas? They all taste delicious once cooked or pickled.
    Harvest them at ANYtime! bite size or whoppas? They all taste delicious once cooked or pickled.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. alex-adam

Beetroot & Shallots in modules (Monty Don)

Can always snip the excess off ... no more fiddly than pricking out I expect?
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sawfish

Beetroot

I've had a strange year with beetroot. Every time it started to grow, all the leaves were eaten away presumably by slugs, then they would grow some more leaves and they in turn would be eaten...
    I've had a strange year with beetroot. Every time it started to grow, all the leaves were eaten away presumably by slugs, then they would grow some more leaves and they in turn would be eaten away. The seed must have been made of stern stuff because eventually they grew enough leaves to beat the...
    I've had a strange year with beetroot. Every time it started to grow, all the leaves were eaten away presumably by slugs, then they would grow some more leaves and they in turn would be eaten away. The seed must have been made of stern stuff...
    I've had a strange year with beetroot. Every time it started to grow, all the leaves were eaten away presumably by slugs, then they would grow some more leaves and they in turn would be eaten...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. bumblebee

BEETROOT

Not this time of the year BB. Maybe next spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Herb

Beetroot

I grew them last year, bolt hardy variety, some were as big as small swedes.When you boil them, leave them in the water to cool, this makes them tenderer.When they are cold, its a matter of just...
    I grew them last year, bolt hardy variety, some were as big as small swedes.When you boil them, leave them in the water to cool, this makes them tenderer.When they are cold, its a matter of just rubbing off the skins.Cold,sliced on cheese sarnies.................beautiful. [ 21. January 2006,...
    I grew them last year, bolt hardy variety, some were as big as small swedes.When you boil them, leave them in the water to cool, this makes them tenderer.When they are cold, its a matter of just rubbing off the skins.Cold,sliced on cheese...
    I grew them last year, bolt hardy variety, some were as big as small swedes.When you boil them, leave them in the water to cool, this makes them tenderer.When they are cold, its a matter of just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. rosietutu

Beetroot

But that 'child' is a product of the previous generation - :lollol:I feel sorry for those that don't get at least one parent that cares enough!Luckily they aren't all like that - luckily...
    But that 'child' is a product of the previous generation - :lollol:I feel sorry for those that don't get at least one parent that cares enough!Luckily they aren't all like that - luckily there are some great kids out there!But sadly that scenario is all too common
    But that 'child' is a product of the previous generation - :lollol:I feel sorry for those that don't get at least one parent that cares enough!Luckily they aren't all like that - luckily there are some great kids out there!But sadly...
    But that 'child' is a product of the previous generation - :lollol:I feel sorry for those that don't get at least one parent that cares enough!Luckily they aren't all like that - luckily...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice