1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Robbie

Autumn rasperries. What to do with new suckers?

With Autumn raspberries you need to cut all canes back to about 3 inches in height in February (which is what I do), including the short canes. It's not accurate - I've seen canes cut almost to...
    With Autumn raspberries you need to cut all canes back to about 3 inches in height in February (which is what I do), including the short canes. It's not accurate - I've seen canes cut almost to ground level and somewhere between 6 and 9 inches high.If the short canes are really short, I...
    With Autumn raspberries you need to cut all canes back to about 3 inches in height in February (which is what I do), including the short canes. It's not accurate - I've seen canes cut almost to ground level and somewhere between 6 and 9 inches...
    With Autumn raspberries you need to cut all canes back to about 3 inches in height in February (which is what I do), including the short canes. It's not accurate - I've seen canes cut almost to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. shiney

Rhubarb, Rhubarb, Rhubarb

wow, looks great!
    wow, looks great!
    wow, looks great!
    wow, looks great!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Radimus

Hello all from sunny Florida

Hello Radimus and welcome to the forum :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ruffmeister

hows your rhubarb

Picked our first lot of forced stuff last week and cooked it with frozen strawberries from last year. Yummy!!!!!!!
    Picked our first lot of forced stuff last week and cooked it with frozen strawberries from last year. Yummy!!!!!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Paul Blackburn

What to do with Strawberries

With the ones I have, (Senga) it depends. Normally, I wont do anything at all apart from remove the runners in Spring. Every third year, I'll collect the runners, remove the old plants, then put...
    With the ones I have, (Senga) it depends. Normally, I wont do anything at all apart from remove the runners in Spring. Every third year, I'll collect the runners, remove the old plants, then put the runners in their place.I never use any kind of fertiliser, ever.On the odd occasion I have...
    With the ones I have, (Senga) it depends. Normally, I wont do anything at all apart from remove the runners in Spring. Every third year, I'll collect the runners, remove the old plants, then put the runners in their place.I never use any kind...
    With the ones I have, (Senga) it depends. Normally, I wont do anything at all apart from remove the runners in Spring. Every third year, I'll collect the runners, remove the old plants, then put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Lottie

More bargain fruit tree offers!

Hi All, There is an offer on Groupon today for 5 fruit trees at £29 or 10 for £55. These are for trees currently 5' high which will grow to 6-7' max. Gala and Golden Delicious apple,...
    Hi All, There is an offer on Groupon today for 5 fruit trees at £29 or 10 for £55. These are for trees currently 5' high which will grow to 6-7' max. Gala and Golden Delicious apple, Concorde Pear, Stanley Plum and Stella Cherry. The offer comes from Gardeningexpress.co.uk. I'm off to...
    Hi All, There is an offer on Groupon today for 5 fruit trees at £29 or 10 for £55. These are for trees currently 5' high which will grow to 6-7' max. Gala and Golden Delicious apple, Concorde Pear, Stanley Plum and Stella Cherry. The offer...
    Hi All, There is an offer on Groupon today for 5 fruit trees at £29 or 10 for £55. These are for trees currently 5' high which will grow to 6-7' max. Gala and Golden Delicious apple,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. golfer

Potatoes

Not really golfer...other than brown paper sacks.....but you do need to check them weekly as some will be prone to rotting etc....you can't see if a spud is damaged in anyway. Hessian is supposed...
    Not really golfer...other than brown paper sacks.....but you do need to check them weekly as some will be prone to rotting etc....you can't see if a spud is damaged in anyway. Hessian is supposed to be the best thing, but you do need to have a breathing hole in the top of the bag. Of course...
    Not really golfer...other than brown paper sacks.....but you do need to check them weekly as some will be prone to rotting etc....you can't see if a spud is damaged in anyway. Hessian is supposed to be the best thing, but you do need to have a...
    Not really golfer...other than brown paper sacks.....but you do need to check them weekly as some will be prone to rotting etc....you can't see if a spud is damaged in anyway. Hessian is supposed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Sargan

Cucumber disease

It looks like a cucumber plant with a lot of fruit
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. angelad

Rockett salad

I'm with Hornbeam here - plenty of water are (touchwood) keeping mine going ok. They are quite bitter/peppery though, which I understand is from the hot weather.Try growing sunflowers in front...
    I'm with Hornbeam here - plenty of water are (touchwood) keeping mine going ok. They are quite bitter/peppery though, which I understand is from the hot weather.Try growing sunflowers in front of them for some shade?
    I'm with Hornbeam here - plenty of water are (touchwood) keeping mine going ok. They are quite bitter/peppery though, which I understand is from the hot weather.Try growing sunflowers in front of them for some shade?
    I'm with Hornbeam here - plenty of water are (touchwood) keeping mine going ok. They are quite bitter/peppery though, which I understand is from the hot weather.Try growing sunflowers in front...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. awizzbang

Help with tomatoes problem needed

Hello awizzbang,are the leaves brown on the underside and yellow on the surface?If yes it could be leaf mould.Spray with carbendazim and remove some of the lower leaves.Ventilate the gh especially...
    Hello awizzbang,are the leaves brown on the underside and yellow on the surface?If yes it could be leaf mould.Spray with carbendazim and remove some of the lower leaves.Ventilate the gh especially at night.
    Hello awizzbang,are the leaves brown on the underside and yellow on the surface?If yes it could be leaf mould.Spray with carbendazim and remove some of the lower leaves.Ventilate the gh especially at night.
    Hello awizzbang,are the leaves brown on the underside and yellow on the surface?If yes it could be leaf mould.Spray with carbendazim and remove some of the lower leaves.Ventilate the gh especially...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. islayhawk

salad crops

If the manure was well rotted (i.e it looks nice and dark and crumbly and you can't make out any of the original material) then your veggies will do really well in it.
    If the manure was well rotted (i.e it looks nice and dark and crumbly and you can't make out any of the original material) then your veggies will do really well in it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kevin1964

Fruit Tree Pests?

Hi again Kevin, I've had a look at a general gardening book of mine but it's not very helpful. Regarding the disease/pest, could it be apple sawfly that is causing the damage. I've also noticed in...
    Hi again Kevin, I've had a look at a general gardening book of mine but it's not very helpful. Regarding the disease/pest, could it be apple sawfly that is causing the damage. I've also noticed in these new pictures that your trees seem to be very close to what is possibly a conifer hedge, that...
    Hi again Kevin, I've had a look at a general gardening book of mine but it's not very helpful. Regarding the disease/pest, could it be apple sawfly that is causing the damage. I've also noticed in these new pictures that your trees seem to be...
    Hi again Kevin, I've had a look at a general gardening book of mine but it's not very helpful. Regarding the disease/pest, could it be apple sawfly that is causing the damage. I've also noticed in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Madahhlia

Grapevine pruning query

I have a grapevine (Madeleine Sylvaner) that I've pruned into a t-shape, i.e. a main stem about 2 feet tall with two permanent arms around 6-8 feet long at that level. I have left on a couple of...
    I have a grapevine (Madeleine Sylvaner) that I've pruned into a t-shape, i.e. a main stem about 2 feet tall with two permanent arms around 6-8 feet long at that level. I have left on a couple of long new growths from the bottom, a couple going sideways from the top of the trunk and one from the...
    I have a grapevine (Madeleine Sylvaner) that I've pruned into a t-shape, i.e. a main stem about 2 feet tall with two permanent arms around 6-8 feet long at that level. I have left on a couple of long new growths from the bottom, a couple going...
    I have a grapevine (Madeleine Sylvaner) that I've pruned into a t-shape, i.e. a main stem about 2 feet tall with two permanent arms around 6-8 feet long at that level. I have left on a couple of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. pfcPeter

Improving Fruit setting in Spring

I've leafed through my horticulture book, and can't find the bit about certain flowers affecting fruit set. Maybe I'd remembered it wrong or maybe i read it somewhere else. I did find a couple of...
    I've leafed through my horticulture book, and can't find the bit about certain flowers affecting fruit set. Maybe I'd remembered it wrong or maybe i read it somewhere else. I did find a couple of interesting bits that may be relevant to this thread though, if only for interest rather practical...
    I've leafed through my horticulture book, and can't find the bit about certain flowers affecting fruit set. Maybe I'd remembered it wrong or maybe i read it somewhere else. I did find a couple of interesting bits that may be relevant to this...
    I've leafed through my horticulture book, and can't find the bit about certain flowers affecting fruit set. Maybe I'd remembered it wrong or maybe i read it somewhere else. I did find a couple of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. SamsonAurora

Flowering Rocket question..

I've been trying to stop my rocket from flowering but when I went out to water them this morning one had a couple of flowers on, can I still eat from that plant?:what::scratch:
    I've been trying to stop my rocket from flowering but when I went out to water them this morning one had a couple of flowers on, can I still eat from that plant?:what::scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gloucester Gardener

What are these?

That makes sense as the number of slugs and snails in my garden is insane! Thanks.
    That makes sense as the number of slugs and snails in my garden is insane! Thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ramshackle

look how similar these are

Must be good for Butterflies I guessNo poisonous Crucifers as far as I know
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. lollipop

Celery planting out

Thanks John
    Thanks John
    Thanks John
    Thanks John
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. vegmandan

Heat Treated Onion Sets

never tryed them but this is my 1st yr growing onions so thanks for that as i will now buy the same treated kind :D
    never tryed them but this is my 1st yr growing onions so thanks for that as i will now buy the same treated kind :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. MrJ

Hmmm... Blight on my spuds already?!

It has been really warm and humid here, plus a lot of rain over the last few days. Have trimmed off affected leaves - hopefully I'm either wrong or early enough to control it :-/
    It has been really warm and humid here, plus a lot of rain over the last few days. Have trimmed off affected leaves - hopefully I'm either wrong or early enough to control it :-/
    image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice