1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. golfer

Kidney Beans

Hopefully the spray will have worked but if not - then if the leaves are being eaten from the outside, sounds like you may have nocturnal snails.
    Hopefully the spray will have worked but if not - then if the leaves are being eaten from the outside, sounds like you may have nocturnal snails.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. LizM

Runner Beans

its actually called 'Beanstick Bothy', but your suggestions are great.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. neilskeates

runner beans

I've just planted mine out in Glasgow and I'm slightly worried. Fingers crossed though, according to the 'old men' of the allotments in Glasgow May 18th is the last frost date usually.
    I've just planted mine out in Glasgow and I'm slightly worried. Fingers crossed though, according to the 'old men' of the allotments in Glasgow May 18th is the last frost date usually.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. golfer

Kidney Beans

Something it eating the leaves on the beans bought some spray today and have used it any ideas what it could be??
    Something it eating the leaves on the beans bought some spray today and have used it any ideas what it could be??
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. PaulJ

Black Currants

I pruned mine right back hard as advised to do on this site...I have the most healthy growth now a good foot high but...no flowers.is it next year I get my fruit? :(
    I pruned mine right back hard as advised to do on this site...I have the most healthy growth now a good foot high but...no flowers.is it next year I get my fruit? :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. elainefiz

first harvest Radish

i did start them in the gh then planted them out.i only did about 20 and have done the same again.was told to harvest straight away cos they go woody if left in the ground.they dont take...
    i did start them in the gh then planted them out.i only did about 20 and have done the same again.was told to harvest straight away cos they go woody if left in the ground.they dont take long,seemed like one day nothing then there they were.
    i did start them in the gh then planted them out.i only did about 20 and have done the same again.was told to harvest straight away cos they go woody if left in the ground.they dont take long,seemed like one day nothing then there they were.
    i did start them in the gh then planted them out.i only did about 20 and have done the same again.was told to harvest straight away cos they go woody if left in the ground.they dont take...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Deserter

SOS: Aubergines and Tomatoes

I grew an Aubergine last year in my uheated gh it flowered many times, lovely colour they were too, but never fruited as some horrible fungus attacked everything in there. This year I am trying...
    I grew an Aubergine last year in my uheated gh it flowered many times, lovely colour they were too, but never fruited as some horrible fungus attacked everything in there. This year I am trying again in two seperate locations and I have a nasty chemical at the ready just in case. Aubergines...
    I grew an Aubergine last year in my uheated gh it flowered many times, lovely colour they were too, but never fruited as some horrible fungus attacked everything in there. This year I am trying again in two seperate locations and I have a nasty...
    I grew an Aubergine last year in my uheated gh it flowered many times, lovely colour they were too, but never fruited as some horrible fungus attacked everything in there. This year I am trying...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. elainefiz

cucumbers

i was told the other day to get good results to do the opposite of tomatoes. apparantly they can bush out to 3 or 4 feet!i started with 5 and gave 2 away but only have space for 2 in plot gh so...
    i was told the other day to get good results to do the opposite of tomatoes. apparantly they can bush out to 3 or 4 feet!i started with 5 and gave 2 away but only have space for 2 in plot gh so will be bringing one to home garden gh along with 3 tomato plants.you think your being careful when...
    i was told the other day to get good results to do the opposite of tomatoes. apparantly they can bush out to 3 or 4 feet!i started with 5 and gave 2 away but only have space for 2 in plot gh so will be bringing one to home garden gh along with 3...
    i was told the other day to get good results to do the opposite of tomatoes. apparantly they can bush out to 3 or 4 feet!i started with 5 and gave 2 away but only have space for 2 in plot gh so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. timecharger

Peas - leaves have white spots on them

cheers hans...
    cheers hans...
    cheers hans...
    cheers hans...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. slugbug

Asparagus ? best site

Thanks for all that info,it seems really useful, My asparagus was still in the greenhouse so I am desparate to get the bed ready and needed to make sure I choose right. I know we have to wait a...
    Thanks for all that info,it seems really useful, My asparagus was still in the greenhouse so I am desparate to get the bed ready and needed to make sure I choose right. I know we have to wait a few yrs but my 10yr old son loves to eat it as well as us so I need enough to feed us well.I have 72...
    Thanks for all that info,it seems really useful, My asparagus was still in the greenhouse so I am desparate to get the bed ready and needed to make sure I choose right. I know we have to wait a few yrs but my 10yr old son loves to eat it as well...
    Thanks for all that info,it seems really useful, My asparagus was still in the greenhouse so I am desparate to get the bed ready and needed to make sure I choose right. I know we have to wait a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. kaptainzep

Tomato Pruning

hello,it could be grey mould.it takes different forms caused by cool, damp,poor ventilation.it causes ghost spotting,small white spots and rings on the fruit later in the season. Wilt is the...
    hello,it could be grey mould.it takes different forms caused by cool, damp,poor ventilation.it causes ghost spotting,small white spots and rings on the fruit later in the season. Wilt is the result of wilt fungi in the soil. oh and put a longer cane in zep,about 5ft for better support. :D
    hello,it could be grey mould.it takes different forms caused by cool, damp,poor ventilation.it causes ghost spotting,small white spots and rings on the fruit later in the season. Wilt is the result of wilt fungi in the soil. oh and put a longer...
    hello,it could be grey mould.it takes different forms caused by cool, damp,poor ventilation.it causes ghost spotting,small white spots and rings on the fruit later in the season. Wilt is the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lazy-gardener

chive -deadheading flowers

I find the best thing to do with chive is to plant 3 small clumps and when the flower heads apear cut two of the clumps down to nearly ground level and they will soon sprout fresh new leaves. Once...
    I find the best thing to do with chive is to plant 3 small clumps and when the flower heads apear cut two of the clumps down to nearly ground level and they will soon sprout fresh new leaves. Once they are ready for harvesting you can level the other clump and then by a sucession of cuttings...
    I find the best thing to do with chive is to plant 3 small clumps and when the flower heads apear cut two of the clumps down to nearly ground level and they will soon sprout fresh new leaves. Once they are ready for harvesting you can level the...
    I find the best thing to do with chive is to plant 3 small clumps and when the flower heads apear cut two of the clumps down to nearly ground level and they will soon sprout fresh new leaves. Once...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. whirlimix

Courgettes

Try them lightly fried in a beer batter. Or on skewers with other veg and meat on the BBQ.As Deserter says they grow into big plants. I would guess that one in an 8 or 10 inch pot is what...
    Try them lightly fried in a beer batter. Or on skewers with other veg and meat on the BBQ.As Deserter says they grow into big plants. I would guess that one in an 8 or 10 inch pot is what you should aim for. They also need quite a lot of water particularly if you have them in pots. I put...
    Try them lightly fried in a beer batter. Or on skewers with other veg and meat on the BBQ.As Deserter says they grow into big plants. I would guess that one in an 8 or 10 inch pot is what you should aim for. They also need quite a lot of...
    Try them lightly fried in a beer batter. Or on skewers with other veg and meat on the BBQ.As Deserter says they grow into big plants. I would guess that one in an 8 or 10 inch pot is what...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Dave W

Growing Ogen Melons

Not the same vareity. I put mine in March and keep them warm in conservatory and house if frosty. They are slow to start mine are only small at this moment about 4" high but look ok. I grow Unwins...
    Not the same vareity. I put mine in March and keep them warm in conservatory and house if frosty. They are slow to start mine are only small at this moment about 4" high but look ok. I grow Unwins Sweetheart 4 to a plant, they grow to a resonable size but not a big as in the greengrocers. They...
    Not the same vareity. I put mine in March and keep them warm in conservatory and house if frosty. They are slow to start mine are only small at this moment about 4" high but look ok. I grow Unwins Sweetheart 4 to a plant, they grow to a resonable...
    Not the same vareity. I put mine in March and keep them warm in conservatory and house if frosty. They are slow to start mine are only small at this moment about 4" high but look ok. I grow Unwins...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. cornish66

Greenshaft peas

I would say probably not a great idea usually these are grown for other reasong like taste, good and dependable cropping as are many others. On the other hand try it and see.
    I would say probably not a great idea usually these are grown for other reasong like taste, good and dependable cropping as are many others. On the other hand try it and see.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. badsal72

strawberries

Hi, As strawberries are only in the ground for three years, it is normal to put plenty of Farm Yard Manure into the ground before planting. Then in mid winter a feed of Sulphate of potash and...
    Hi, As strawberries are only in the ground for three years, it is normal to put plenty of Farm Yard Manure into the ground before planting. Then in mid winter a feed of Sulphate of potash and seedweed meal at three oz per square yard, so the plant has plenty of time to absorb the feed before...
    Hi, As strawberries are only in the ground for three years, it is normal to put plenty of Farm Yard Manure into the ground before planting. Then in mid winter a feed of Sulphate of potash and seedweed meal at three oz per square yard, so the...
    Hi, As strawberries are only in the ground for three years, it is normal to put plenty of Farm Yard Manure into the ground before planting. Then in mid winter a feed of Sulphate of potash and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. elainefiz

tomatoes

First flowers on my tomatoes today but cannot find my tripod so an in focus picture is not possible.
    First flowers on my tomatoes today but cannot find my tripod so an in focus picture is not possible.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. chilli50

black turtle beans

thank you jjordie. this link was a great help. ill be able to grow them now. i tend to grow quite a lot of beans especially broad beans as there is nothing quite like beans from the pod. gorgeous!
    thank you jjordie. this link was a great help. ill be able to grow them now. i tend to grow quite a lot of beans especially broad beans as there is nothing quite like beans from the pod. gorgeous!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. badsal72

rhubarb

Many thanks, I will try some soon when it is ready to cut.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. wildflower

melons!

See this reply to a similar query I posted. If the link doesn't work just search in Edible Gardening for...
    See this reply to a similar query I posted. If the link doesn't work just search in Edible Gardening for melonhttp://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000208#000000
    See this reply to a similar query I posted. If the link doesn't work just search in Edible Gardening for melonhttp://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000208#000000
    See this reply to a similar query I posted. If the link doesn't work just search in Edible Gardening for...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice