1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. karen1981

cucumbers - male and female!?

Most, but not all, cucumber seed sold for greenhouse cucumbers is now F1 hybrid Karen. Have a look at the packet and if it says F1 you'll have no problems.If yours are not greenhouse F1s you...
    Most, but not all, cucumber seed sold for greenhouse cucumbers is now F1 hybrid Karen. Have a look at the packet and if it says F1 you'll have no problems.If yours are not greenhouse F1s you should remove the male flowers in order to prevent fertilisation of the females, as fertilised cucs...
    Most, but not all, cucumber seed sold for greenhouse cucumbers is now F1 hybrid Karen. Have a look at the packet and if it says F1 you'll have no problems.If yours are not greenhouse F1s you should remove the male flowers in order to prevent...
    Most, but not all, cucumber seed sold for greenhouse cucumbers is now F1 hybrid Karen. Have a look at the packet and if it says F1 you'll have no problems.If yours are not greenhouse F1s you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. mistys

Crop Rotation

I went to a Alternative Technology place a few year ago and they were using a Chicken coop in with the crop rotation. It looked a great idea but I can imagine the cockrel singing at 5am would take...
    I went to a Alternative Technology place a few year ago and they were using a Chicken coop in with the crop rotation. It looked a great idea but I can imagine the cockrel singing at 5am would take a bit of getting used to, although the eggs would be nice. They also encouraged people to recycle I...
    I went to a Alternative Technology place a few year ago and they were using a Chicken coop in with the crop rotation. It looked a great idea but I can imagine the cockrel singing at 5am would take a bit of getting used to, although the eggs would...
    I went to a Alternative Technology place a few year ago and they were using a Chicken coop in with the crop rotation. It looked a great idea but I can imagine the cockrel singing at 5am would take...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. mistys

Cauliflower problem

One possibility is cabbage stem flea beetle. They normally attack between August and October.
    One possibility is cabbage stem flea beetle. They normally attack between August and October.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. marge

HELP - COURGETTES!

Marge as Dave says I think you are a bit early, your a bit nearer to my end of the country. I always reckon on six weeks to planting out from seed sowing for the likes of cucumber, marrow,...
    Marge as Dave says I think you are a bit early, your a bit nearer to my end of the country. I always reckon on six weeks to planting out from seed sowing for the likes of cucumber, marrow, courgette etc. I usually wait till the last week in May or the first in June for planting out, you can go...
    Marge as Dave says I think you are a bit early, your a bit nearer to my end of the country. I always reckon on six weeks to planting out from seed sowing for the likes of cucumber, marrow, courgette etc. I usually wait till the last week in May...
    Marge as Dave says I think you are a bit early, your a bit nearer to my end of the country. I always reckon on six weeks to planting out from seed sowing for the likes of cucumber, marrow,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. dalbuie

Apple Cucumber

Apple and Lemon cucumbers are round, usually yellow skinned ridge type, they grow up to 3" in diameter. they are different in taste, for something unusual in a mixed salad. Grow as normal...
    Apple and Lemon cucumbers are round, usually yellow skinned ridge type, they grow up to 3" in diameter. they are different in taste, for something unusual in a mixed salad. Grow as normal cucumbers, follow directions on pack of seeds.
    Apple and Lemon cucumbers are round, usually yellow skinned ridge type, they grow up to 3" in diameter. they are different in taste, for something unusual in a mixed salad. Grow as normal cucumbers, follow directions on pack of seeds.
    Apple and Lemon cucumbers are round, usually yellow skinned ridge type, they grow up to 3" in diameter. they are different in taste, for something unusual in a mixed salad. Grow as normal...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Gardening Newbie

Swedes

Salivating at the thought Sawfish! Thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. LacrimaTear

Help please!!! Strawberry dilemma

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. LacrimaTear

Help please!!! Strawberry dilemma

If they came from under cover in a GC it might be best to put the pots in a sheltered corner for a week or ten days before you plant them just in order to prevent any cold shock set back. If the...
    If they came from under cover in a GC it might be best to put the pots in a sheltered corner for a week or ten days before you plant them just in order to prevent any cold shock set back. If the plants were growing without any protection you should be quite safe popping them straight in the...
    If they came from under cover in a GC it might be best to put the pots in a sheltered corner for a week or ten days before you plant them just in order to prevent any cold shock set back. If the plants were growing without any protection you...
    If they came from under cover in a GC it might be best to put the pots in a sheltered corner for a week or ten days before you plant them just in order to prevent any cold shock set back. If the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. samsoph

when to plant gooseberrys and red currants

I hope you don't have to worry about them Gill. They completely stripped our red currant bush in 2004 in the space of about three days. Last year I kept a better look out and sprayed as soon as I...
    I hope you don't have to worry about them Gill. They completely stripped our red currant bush in 2004 in the space of about three days. Last year I kept a better look out and sprayed as soon as I spotted the little blighters.
    I hope you don't have to worry about them Gill. They completely stripped our red currant bush in 2004 in the space of about three days. Last year I kept a better look out and sprayed as soon as I spotted the little blighters.
    I hope you don't have to worry about them Gill. They completely stripped our red currant bush in 2004 in the space of about three days. Last year I kept a better look out and sprayed as soon as I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Dave Martin

potato growing

Yep!! :D But no bliddy money........ :D :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Waco

Edible John Innes no 2

Both my cavs would eat the spilt compost from my potting up of things. I think dogs like children try new textures in their mouth - if it tastes OK they will continue. Not a dietary insufficiency.
    Both my cavs would eat the spilt compost from my potting up of things. I think dogs like children try new textures in their mouth - if it tastes OK they will continue. Not a dietary insufficiency.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. samsoph

Help...i fed wrong plant food to my blueberries!!

Thankyou Lady gardener and Roders, they are budding lovely now, and i wouldn't want to think it might kill them. Thankyou both for the replies Gill
    Thankyou Lady gardener and Roders, they are budding lovely now, and i wouldn't want to think it might kill them. Thankyou both for the replies Gill
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. grinch

f1 cucumbers

Grow trailing types up supporting fences, nets, or canes, or allow them to climb up string. Nip out the growing point after 5 or 6 leaves have appeared and train the resulting stronger growths up...
    Grow trailing types up supporting fences, nets, or canes, or allow them to climb up string. Nip out the growing point after 5 or 6 leaves have appeared and train the resulting stronger growths up the support, tying as needed. when the shoots have reached the top of the support, nip them out 2...
    Grow trailing types up supporting fences, nets, or canes, or allow them to climb up string. Nip out the growing point after 5 or 6 leaves have appeared and train the resulting stronger growths up the support, tying as needed. when the shoots have...
    Grow trailing types up supporting fences, nets, or canes, or allow them to climb up string. Nip out the growing point after 5 or 6 leaves have appeared and train the resulting stronger growths up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Webmaster

What Veg are you going to grow this year ??

certainly an interesting looking tomato!
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. alan

onions and shallots

Thanks for that Rossco, will hold on then until end of April, with a bit of luck the weather will have warmed up by then.
    Thanks for that Rossco, will hold on then until end of April, with a bit of luck the weather will have warmed up by then.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. barneyb

taking cuttings from chilean potato plant

Thanks for that , will let you know how it goes!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Lady Gardener

seed potato quality

tnks frogs, yes i need a ph of 5.2 which is pretty acid, i think my soil will be about that, but i ll be taking the offending spuds back anyway. ill buy from T&M, at least i ll get quality, and i...
    tnks frogs, yes i need a ph of 5.2 which is pretty acid, i think my soil will be about that, but i ll be taking the offending spuds back anyway. ill buy from T&M, at least i ll get quality, and i can go for heritage variaties, i just wish i had more room!.......... i can see the wildflower area...
    tnks frogs, yes i need a ph of 5.2 which is pretty acid, i think my soil will be about that, but i ll be taking the offending spuds back anyway. ill buy from T&M, at least i ll get quality, and i can go for heritage variaties, i just wish i had...
    tnks frogs, yes i need a ph of 5.2 which is pretty acid, i think my soil will be about that, but i ll be taking the offending spuds back anyway. ill buy from T&M, at least i ll get quality, and i...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Bexiboo

Veg Patch.....how to start?

I got all my veg books from second hand shops. There always seems to be loads for a quid each, some great old ones too!
    I got all my veg books from second hand shops. There always seems to be loads for a quid each, some great old ones too!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. lazy-gardener

plum tree not fruiting

ABSOLUTLY... used to use a weak solution of Jeyes fluid, but they advised against that a couple of years ago
    ABSOLUTLY... used to use a weak solution of Jeyes fluid, but they advised against that a couple of years ago
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Bexiboo

early potatoes

I like a var. called 'RATTE' lovely pulled straight out, and eaten with 1 hour..
    I like a var. called 'RATTE' lovely pulled straight out, and eaten with 1 hour..
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice