1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. elainefiz

strawberries in a cold frame?

I take it you're actually in France, k3n? How much nicer than in the not very sunny UK! It's an area where there's a lot agriculture and vines, isn't it, if my memory is correct? I don't...
    I take it you're actually in France, k3n? How much nicer than in the not very sunny UK! It's an area where there's a lot agriculture and vines, isn't it, if my memory is correct? I don't remember strawberries being a main fruit in France - but maybe I was too much influenced by the thought of...
    I take it you're actually in France, k3n? How much nicer than in the not very sunny UK! It's an area where there's a lot agriculture and vines, isn't it, if my memory is correct? I don't remember strawberries being a main fruit in France - but...
    I take it you're actually in France, k3n? How much nicer than in the not very sunny UK! It's an area where there's a lot agriculture and vines, isn't it, if my memory is correct? I don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Liz

Raspberries and strawberries

Thanks both. Oldervarieties it is then! I used to have a border of alpine strawberries 20' by 2', lots of fruit all summer and until frosts. I have some plants now which were growing in my...
    Thanks both. Oldervarieties it is then! I used to have a border of alpine strawberries 20' by 2', lots of fruit all summer and until frosts. I have some plants now which were growing in my daughter's garden, so don't know what variety, maybe a cross? They are alpine type, habit and flavour but...
    Thanks both. Oldervarieties it is then! I used to have a border of alpine strawberries 20' by 2', lots of fruit all summer and until frosts. I have some plants now which were growing in my daughter's garden, so don't know what variety, maybe a...
    Thanks both. Oldervarieties it is then! I used to have a border of alpine strawberries 20' by 2', lots of fruit all summer and until frosts. I have some plants now which were growing in my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. rossco

Veg Garden photo

Hi lady gardener, what i did last year was, I only used 12 of the 16 beds, 2 were left fallow, ie dug over and left as is for a year, the other 2 I grew annual lupins, and when they had died down,...
    Hi lady gardener, what i did last year was, I only used 12 of the 16 beds, 2 were left fallow, ie dug over and left as is for a year, the other 2 I grew annual lupins, and when they had died down, having had the benefit of the flowers, rotavated them into the soil.
    Hi lady gardener, what i did last year was, I only used 12 of the 16 beds, 2 were left fallow, ie dug over and left as is for a year, the other 2 I grew annual lupins, and when they had died down, having had the benefit of the flowers, rotavated...
    Hi lady gardener, what i did last year was, I only used 12 of the 16 beds, 2 were left fallow, ie dug over and left as is for a year, the other 2 I grew annual lupins, and when they had died down,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. prettypolly

Strawberrys

Hi prettypolly, you get your 'baby' plants from the runners produced during the years growth, usually after fruiting. if you know someone that has some plants in their garden, ask if you can cut...
    Hi prettypolly, you get your 'baby' plants from the runners produced during the years growth, usually after fruiting. if you know someone that has some plants in their garden, ask if you can cut off some runners, if they havn't already cut them off, the little plants along the runners can be...
    Hi prettypolly, you get your 'baby' plants from the runners produced during the years growth, usually after fruiting. if you know someone that has some plants in their garden, ask if you can cut off some runners, if they havn't already cut them...
    Hi prettypolly, you get your 'baby' plants from the runners produced during the years growth, usually after fruiting. if you know someone that has some plants in their garden, ask if you can cut...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. lesmar

2nd early potato (picasso)

try here! on T&M http://potatoes.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/z12448/1
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. grinch

cucumbers

Grow in big (12") pots in trays. Water from the bottom and feed from the top and like LG says top up with fresh compost so they'll put out additional roots. Watch out for red spider mite and spray...
    Grow in big (12") pots in trays. Water from the bottom and feed from the top and like LG says top up with fresh compost so they'll put out additional roots. Watch out for red spider mite and spray or introduce a biological control if you spot it. Don't let the compost become too wet or the neck...
    Grow in big (12") pots in trays. Water from the bottom and feed from the top and like LG says top up with fresh compost so they'll put out additional roots. Watch out for red spider mite and spray or introduce a biological control if you spot it....
    Grow in big (12") pots in trays. Water from the bottom and feed from the top and like LG says top up with fresh compost so they'll put out additional roots. Watch out for red spider mite and spray...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. grinch

melons

Hi grinch, Haven't found anything on that type, but did come across this. Of course you may well know all this http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/greenhouse/melon/ anyway... :D :D ...
    Hi grinch, Haven't found anything on that type, but did come across this. Of course you may well know all this http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/greenhouse/melon/ anyway... :D :D [ 23. February 2006, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]
    Hi grinch, Haven't found anything on that type, but did come across this. Of course you may well know all this http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/greenhouse/melon/ anyway... :D :D [ 23. February 2006, 06:16 PM: Message edited by:...
    Hi grinch, Haven't found anything on that type, but did come across this. Of course you may well know all this http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/greenhouse/melon/ anyway... :D :D ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. dabbit

Red onion

Have just ordered some red baron...Thanks for the tips....
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Hawthorn

growing vegetables in pots.

There are many things that grow well in containers (I have had much success): I have grown all the things you mention (except turnip) along with, potatoes, dwarf beans, peas, corgette, cucumber,...
    There are many things that grow well in containers (I have had much success): I have grown all the things you mention (except turnip) along with, potatoes, dwarf beans, peas, corgette, cucumber, andmore beside. I didn;t have much success with swede though, and have now planted a couple of mini...
    There are many things that grow well in containers (I have had much success): I have grown all the things you mention (except turnip) along with, potatoes, dwarf beans, peas, corgette, cucumber, andmore beside. I didn;t have much success with...
    There are many things that grow well in containers (I have had much success): I have grown all the things you mention (except turnip) along with, potatoes, dwarf beans, peas, corgette, cucumber,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. LCH

Rhubarb

Sorry for my earlier reply Provado can not be recommended for edible productsin this country. but you could use a biological control.
    Sorry for my earlier reply Provado can not be recommended for edible productsin this country. but you could use a biological control.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Ystalyfera

Potato Barrels & Alternatives

Sounds like the strawberry planter I got a few years ago!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. coll

long life ornamental orange fruit - over 1 year old

The fruits of citrus can take a year to fully develop, so some do have fruits on for over a yearhttp://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0101/citrus_cultivation.asp
    The fruits of citrus can take a year to fully develop, so some do have fruits on for over a yearhttp://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0101/citrus_cultivation.asp
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. elainefiz

chamomile tea and tomatoes?

i think the amount is one tea bag to a gallon of water.gonna give it a bash if i ever get greenhouse insulated.husbands just gone for more clip thingies to attatch it.
    i think the amount is one tea bag to a gallon of water.gonna give it a bash if i ever get greenhouse insulated.husbands just gone for more clip thingies to attatch it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. mike57

planting garlic too late

I would pop them into pots of 50/50 compost and perlite and put them in a light position, keeping them watered. Them when this current cold snap is over and a milder spell forecast, get them into...
    I would pop them into pots of 50/50 compost and perlite and put them in a light position, keeping them watered. Them when this current cold snap is over and a milder spell forecast, get them into the groundGood luck
    I would pop them into pots of 50/50 compost and perlite and put them in a light position, keeping them watered. Them when this current cold snap is over and a milder spell forecast, get them into the groundGood luck
    I would pop them into pots of 50/50 compost and perlite and put them in a light position, keeping them watered. Them when this current cold snap is over and a milder spell forecast, get them into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. mbweim

Fruit Trees in Pots

id really prefer to use john innes type compost here, or use the water retaining gel with the compost
    id really prefer to use john innes type compost here, or use the water retaining gel with the compost
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Grottybags

Crop rotation - What doesn't need rotatating?

Seems the general advice is to plant in a separate plot and see! In this country pests aren't a great problem for corn, but you could try some companion planting to help. A border round the corn...
    Seems the general advice is to plant in a separate plot and see! In this country pests aren't a great problem for corn, but you could try some companion planting to help. A border round the corn of geraniums, parsley, radishes will help to prevent beetles and other pests. Where space is...
    Seems the general advice is to plant in a separate plot and see! In this country pests aren't a great problem for corn, but you could try some companion planting to help. A border round the corn of geraniums, parsley, radishes will help to...
    Seems the general advice is to plant in a separate plot and see! In this country pests aren't a great problem for corn, but you could try some companion planting to help. A border round the corn...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Herb

Beetroot

I grew them last year, bolt hardy variety, some were as big as small swedes.When you boil them, leave them in the water to cool, this makes them tenderer.When they are cold, its a matter of just...
    I grew them last year, bolt hardy variety, some were as big as small swedes.When you boil them, leave them in the water to cool, this makes them tenderer.When they are cold, its a matter of just rubbing off the skins.Cold,sliced on cheese sarnies.................beautiful. [ 21. January 2006,...
    I grew them last year, bolt hardy variety, some were as big as small swedes.When you boil them, leave them in the water to cool, this makes them tenderer.When they are cold, its a matter of just rubbing off the skins.Cold,sliced on cheese...
    I grew them last year, bolt hardy variety, some were as big as small swedes.When you boil them, leave them in the water to cool, this makes them tenderer.When they are cold, its a matter of just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. badsal72

sweet potatoes

What a great link...Thanks :eek: :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Lenticular

Washing Parsnips

Most wives do Hans
    Most wives do Hans
    Most wives do Hans
    Most wives do Hans
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. The Little Gardener

Too many vegetables

Has anyone else got a dehydrator? My daughter gave me one for Christmas a few years ago, and you can dry fruit, veg etc in it. Lovely for snacks. Tomatoes can be either dried for use in soups...
    Has anyone else got a dehydrator? My daughter gave me one for Christmas a few years ago, and you can dry fruit, veg etc in it. Lovely for snacks. Tomatoes can be either dried for use in soups later on or semi dried for snacks. Most useful for excess fruit [cherries, apples, pears, strawberries...
    Has anyone else got a dehydrator? My daughter gave me one for Christmas a few years ago, and you can dry fruit, veg etc in it. Lovely for snacks. Tomatoes can be either dried for use in soups later on or semi dried for snacks. Most useful for...
    Has anyone else got a dehydrator? My daughter gave me one for Christmas a few years ago, and you can dry fruit, veg etc in it. Lovely for snacks. Tomatoes can be either dried for use in soups...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice