1. THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE 2 MINUTE SILENCE
    IN MEMORY OF ARMANDII

Armandii's chosen charity was Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) - donations in his memory are welcomed, paid directly to the charity. Please ask a member of Admin for further information.

Dismiss Notice
We have a very sad announcement to make - please see the thread in the link below:

Please Click Here

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. pete

Marrow/courgette

Thanks @Scrungee :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Mel03

Grape vine in distress!

Should add I've got a Muscat Bleu 3 yrs old now, got the first real crop this year. Quite impressed, very early and good sized berries that dont require much thinning, down side is the pips.
    Should add I've got a Muscat Bleu 3 yrs old now, got the first real crop this year. Quite impressed, very early and good sized berries that dont require much thinning, down side is the pips.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Engelbert

Are these squashes or pumpkins? (And how to ripen them?)

Look like 'Mumpkins' or 'Parrows', an open pollinated cross between marrows and pumpkins.Often happens if seed saving when growing both and not bagging/tying the flowers before and after...
    Look like 'Mumpkins' or 'Parrows', an open pollinated cross between marrows and pumpkins.Often happens if seed saving when growing both and not bagging/tying the flowers before and after pollination.Marrows can turn yellow, but when oldish, and those ones look young, so probably the result...
    Look like 'Mumpkins' or 'Parrows', an open pollinated cross between marrows and pumpkins.Often happens if seed saving when growing both and not bagging/tying the flowers before and after pollination.Marrows can turn yellow, but when oldish,...
    Look like 'Mumpkins' or 'Parrows', an open pollinated cross between marrows and pumpkins.Often happens if seed saving when growing both and not bagging/tying the flowers before and after...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. peter121

rhubarb problem.

My Rhubarb is about 35 years, grown from the seed of a flowered plant harvested, with permission, from a garden in the Village of Tissington. The owner told me he'd forgotten the name of the...
    My Rhubarb is about 35 years, grown from the seed of a flowered plant harvested, with permission, from a garden in the Village of Tissington. The owner told me he'd forgotten the name of the variety but due to the size it grows I've christened it "Tissington Giant"I've divided it several...
    My Rhubarb is about 35 years, grown from the seed of a flowered plant harvested, with permission, from a garden in the Village of Tissington. The owner told me he'd forgotten the name of the variety but due to the size it grows I've christened...
    My Rhubarb is about 35 years, grown from the seed of a flowered plant harvested, with permission, from a garden in the Village of Tissington. The owner told me he'd forgotten the name of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. David Cook

Planting Garlic

Cheers Pete, saves me going hunting for stuff to cover them
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Gizmo

veg plants being eaten

many thaks for your replys i dont think its a bird problem as the whole area is netted due to cat issues , how would we find out if it is a bug issue thanks for your advice
    many thaks for your replys i dont think its a bird problem as the whole area is netted due to cat issues , how would we find out if it is a bug issue thanks for your advice
    IMG_20201014_160303_resized_20201014_042116954.jpg IMG_20201014_160308_resized_20201014_042055262.jpg IMG_20201011_164658_resized_20201015_101606900.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. misterQ

The Community Garden Bucket Growing Competition

The rules say that the green part can not exceed the length of the blanched part so the leaves had to be cut.
    The rules say that the green part can not exceed the length of the blanched part so the leaves had to be cut.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Gizmo

strawberry plants

many thanks for your help and advice :hapfeet:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Ruth82

Keeping apples healthy

Thanks I'll give that a try I always cut up first just incase or just use the good looking half still makes a decent pie or crumble yum
    Thanks I'll give that a try I always cut up first just incase or just use the good looking half still makes a decent pie or crumble yum
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Lizzie Rose

Pear Tree Pruned Too Early - advice and rant needed!

Not a great eater of pears myself, but if I do I like those yellow ones that are really ripe and full of juice. Some people like them crunchy like apples.
    Not a great eater of pears myself, but if I do I like those yellow ones that are really ripe and full of juice. Some people like them crunchy like apples.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JR
    Like x 5

Favorite edibles

My friend thinks he's really clever. He said the onion is the only fruit\veg item that can make you cry. So I threw a coconut at his face.
    My friend thinks he's really clever. He said the onion is the only fruit\veg item that can make you cry. So I threw a coconut at his face.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. nightofjoy

Windowsill Gherkins / cucumbers

Pollination is what is required by the sounds of it, get at it with a soft brush at midday.I think the massive one is the size they should be.:biggrin:
    Pollination is what is required by the sounds of it, get at it with a soft brush at midday.I think the massive one is the size they should be.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Nor

Blueberry plants no longer cropping

Hi,Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop. Though said to give a succession...
    Hi,Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop. Though said to give a succession of fruit, found they all came together, perhaps our shorter, more northern climate ? Buy Blueberry...
    Hi,Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop. Though said to give a succession of fruit, found they all came together, perhaps...
    Hi,Not grown Duke, we got this collection, giving heights of 3 to 6ft but as small plants they need a couple of seasons to get big enough for a reasonable crop. Though said to give a succession...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Paul Blackburn

When to plant onion sets

They need to go through the winter outside. in containers will be ok.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. David Cook

What to do with tomatoes

Yeah pick any green fruit to ripen indoors and then put the plants on the compost heap, just cut the woody stems up a bit.
    Yeah pick any green fruit to ripen indoors and then put the plants on the compost heap, just cut the woody stems up a bit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ThePlantAssassin
    Like x 7

The biggest one I've ever grown

So glad things haven't gone pear shaped for you with this one:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gloucester Gardener

Harvesting pumpkins and Crown Prince squash

Well I think squash can be left a bit longer just keep an eye open for rot at ground level, if the fruits are touching the ground. Think I would cut back some shoots and remove any new fruits....
    Well I think squash can be left a bit longer just keep an eye open for rot at ground level, if the fruits are touching the ground. Think I would cut back some shoots and remove any new fruits. Get the sun to the fruit.
    Well I think squash can be left a bit longer just keep an eye open for rot at ground level, if the fruits are touching the ground. Think I would cut back some shoots and remove any new fruits. Get the sun to the fruit.
    Well I think squash can be left a bit longer just keep an eye open for rot at ground level, if the fruits are touching the ground. Think I would cut back some shoots and remove any new fruits....
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. David G

Sloe?

They probably are sloes. They aren't poisonous whatever they are, so you can always check.The easy way is to pick one. Sloes have translucent greenish flesh. The most distinctive part for a sloe...
    They probably are sloes. They aren't poisonous whatever they are, so you can always check.The easy way is to pick one. Sloes have translucent greenish flesh. The most distinctive part for a sloe though is its astringency - it dries your mouth right up.A few things for sloe gin making though....
    They probably are sloes. They aren't poisonous whatever they are, so you can always check.The easy way is to pick one. Sloes have translucent greenish flesh. The most distinctive part for a sloe though is its astringency - it dries your mouth...
    They probably are sloes. They aren't poisonous whatever they are, so you can always check.The easy way is to pick one. Sloes have translucent greenish flesh. The most distinctive part for a sloe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Cordy

What to sow with Radish seeds in raised bed

From my church going days that looks exactly like a pulpit! It’s great and unique to your garden. Well done @Cordy keep creating!I am very lucky as my partner is a carpenter/joiner but I like to...
    From my church going days that looks exactly like a pulpit! It’s great and unique to your garden. Well done @Cordy keep creating!I am very lucky as my partner is a carpenter/joiner but I like to do things myself so we have a trade off. I do a little drawing design of what I want, ask him...
    From my church going days that looks exactly like a pulpit! It’s great and unique to your garden. Well done @Cordy keep creating!I am very lucky as my partner is a carpenter/joiner but I like to do things myself so we have a trade off. I do a...
    From my church going days that looks exactly like a pulpit! It’s great and unique to your garden. Well done @Cordy keep creating!I am very lucky as my partner is a carpenter/joiner but I like to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Graham B

Boozy berries

We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months later, it was time to strain them and inspect the results.Strawberry vodka is kind of a partial...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months later, it was time to strain them and inspect the...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months...
    15997710861650.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice