Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. mazambo

Rhubarb?

More seriously you just need a big pot, somebody I worked with grew rhubarb in a 1 m x 1 m x 1 m planter quite successfully, just needed plenty of water.
    More seriously you just need a big pot, somebody I worked with grew rhubarb in a 1 m x 1 m x 1 m planter quite successfully, just needed plenty of water.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. dogsbody

Tall spuds

Excellent idea John, I'll keep that in mind for next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Clueless 1 v2
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Jowo

Room for Aubergines

Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I did spot a bout of aphids so have zapped them with diluted washing up liquid and hoping that does the...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I did spot a bout of aphids so have zapped them with...
    Some have just started flowering .. I'm loving their character.. prickly with beautiful flowers!! They are easy to keep moist at present so I think they're happy in their current situ, though I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Michael04

Raspberry leaves.Advice please

Morning, Thanks ricky101
    Morning, Thanks ricky101
    Morning, Thanks ricky101
    Morning, Thanks ricky101
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Welshman

Purple headed Spring Onion

I have 20 in the row, but i only pulled that one
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. NigelJ

Soft fruit disaster

I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they clumsily pecked at everything looking even remotely like a piece of fruit, ripe er green.(destroyed my...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they clumsily pecked at everything looking even remotely...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Clueless 1 v2

Pruning apple trees

I'd either prune off the lower branches in Feb/March, flush with the trunk, or just use strong forked stakes to support them. The first option should encourage the tree to grow upwards, but a lot...
    I'd either prune off the lower branches in Feb/March, flush with the trunk, or just use strong forked stakes to support them. The first option should encourage the tree to grow upwards, but a lot depends on the variety.
    I'd either prune off the lower branches in Feb/March, flush with the trunk, or just use strong forked stakes to support them. The first option should encourage the tree to grow upwards, but a lot depends on the variety.
    I'd either prune off the lower branches in Feb/March, flush with the trunk, or just use strong forked stakes to support them. The first option should encourage the tree to grow upwards, but a lot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jowo

Potato question

Sorry for the late reply, yes both are maincrop so it's a bit early to take the tops off. If you are happy with the size you could remove the tops of the ones flopping over on top of the onions.
    Sorry for the late reply, yes both are maincrop so it's a bit early to take the tops off. If you are happy with the size you could remove the tops of the ones flopping over on top of the onions.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. colne

What did you eat today that you grew, made, caught, dried/pickled or bought locally?

Picked the first blackberries and made a crumble along with some raspberries:
    P1020098(1).JPG P1050416.JPG P1050417.JPG P1050419.JPG P1050459.JPG P1010586 copy.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Logan

Ben growing edibles YouTube videos

Top tips how to grow strawberries in containers
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. vbgr

veggies to grow now for winter

Many thanks Hanglow, I’m now thinking of swede if they have a punnet at the garden centre. I haven’t any fleece left for covering carrots and the brassicas I grew before in that plot had root...
    Many thanks Hanglow, I’m now thinking of swede if they have a punnet at the garden centre. I haven’t any fleece left for covering carrots and the brassicas I grew before in that plot had root problems so bad they didn’t grow and I had to throw them out. V
    Many thanks Hanglow, I’m now thinking of swede if they have a punnet at the garden centre. I haven’t any fleece left for covering carrots and the brassicas I grew before in that plot had root problems so bad they didn’t grow and I had to throw...
    Many thanks Hanglow, I’m now thinking of swede if they have a punnet at the garden centre. I haven’t any fleece left for covering carrots and the brassicas I grew before in that plot had root...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Josh Fletcher

Radish Pest

Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting could be used to cover seedlings, but make sure you shut them out not in!.Traditonal remedy was to drag...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting could be used to cover seedlings, but make sure you...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Marley Farley

GARDENERS DELIGHT TOMATO SEED GERMINATION AND GROWING 2019

JWK's 2005 strain. A bit behind my other toms, as I had to re-sow. Bagged for the promised seed save.
    JWK's 2005 strain. A bit behind my other toms, as I had to re-sow. Bagged for the promised seed save.
    20190217_151334.jpg tomato.jpg IMG_20190401_201227.jpg IMG_20190706_211028.jpg IMG_20190706_210909.jpg IMG_20220622_143817.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Scudo

Help, Beetroot issue

Looks like leaf miners. Hold a leaf up to the light and you might be able to see the insect inside the leaf . They often grow out of it if it doesn't get too bad.
    Looks like leaf miners. Hold a leaf up to the light and you might be able to see the insect inside the leaf . They often grow out of it if it doesn't get too bad.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fat Controller

Rhubarb

Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed...
    Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed to allow sideward spread or for chicken pellets - indeed, the membrane stops at the right hand side...
    Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed to allow sideward spread or for chicken pellets -...
    Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Welshman

Winter in the greenhouse

I only got toms, basil, thyme, betroot, lettuce, spring onions……growing in the greenhouse at the moment
    I only got toms, basil, thyme, betroot, lettuce, spring onions……growing in the greenhouse at the moment
    20220502_111748.jpg IMG_20220501_132359502_HDR.jpg 59DC3A80-7861-4F15-8DC4-904639339868.jpeg 33CFF411-7880-48C0-874A-77A133AE9128.jpeg 4001EAE5-FD4E-4057-9AA7-419FC7DCFF92.jpeg A217D37F-3EF3-45A6-9500-B97B9393CA32.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Shaneoak

Apple tree ‘red devil’ - virus?

looking at what you received... is a pitiful sight ... and tickled pink !! oh my !which company did you receive it from ?
    looking at what you received... is a pitiful sight ... and tickled pink !! oh my !which company did you receive it from ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Michael Hewett

Peas

It's not the normal practise to pinch out the tips of edible peas but it will be interesting to see how yours perform @Michael Hewett
    It's not the normal practise to pinch out the tips of edible peas but it will be interesting to see how yours perform @Michael Hewett
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Tinkerbelle61

Courgette Leaf Problem

@pete there was a whitening on the shed roofs on Monday morning and cold with almost constant rain for two days, strong north winds also. Then yesterday afternoon sunshine and warmer temps, okay...
    @pete there was a whitening on the shed roofs on Monday morning and cold with almost constant rain for two days, strong north winds also. Then yesterday afternoon sunshine and warmer temps, okay today also. I have cut the three blackened leaves off, I’ll check it again in the morning and if more...
    @pete there was a whitening on the shed roofs on Monday morning and cold with almost constant rain for two days, strong north winds also. Then yesterday afternoon sunshine and warmer temps, okay today also. I have cut the three blackened leaves...
    @pete there was a whitening on the shed roofs on Monday morning and cold with almost constant rain for two days, strong north winds also. Then yesterday afternoon sunshine and warmer temps, okay...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice